Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

The Cabin in the Woods - Joss Whedon/Cloverfield

So typically a title with "cabin" and "woods" is some type of rehashed horror film, blah blah blah. Produced by Joss Whedon, and written by Goddard who wrote (likely the screenplay) for Cloverfield.

It has what seems to be a fairly unique sci-fi twist:

I always have reservations about horror, but if there's people to trust they're on that list.

EDIT: Trailer 2

Last edited by RedDragon7; 03-06-2012 at 22:21.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    So its people who send things to kill teenagers?
    About time someone made a movie like this.

3. Likes Admartian , Vulgotha likes this post
    Unbound Mercenary
    Interesting concept.

Trap teenagers and kill them...
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Quote Originally Posted by HellsJester View Post
    So its people who send things to kill teenagers?
    About time someone made a movie like this.
    Haha, I think there's a tad more to it than that but on that comment alone... Touché.

Sent using Tapatalk

Forum Guru
    I read on some “geek” sites: do _not_ watch *any* previews. Go in totally unprepared and apparently the last 30 minutes will blow your mind
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Miqo'te Bard
    Items New User TitleProtect yourselfFull Metal AlchemistFangDark Souls CoverDemons Souls CoverBattlefield 3Title StyleUser name style
    Yeah this movie is suppose to "turn horror genre upside down". I will see it.
    I have twitter to https://twitter.com/GamerYuichi , Also started youtube https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCMu7yRGCz8QrTyxaNVR3Tqw I don't always twitch, but when I can you can find my noobness http://www.twitch.tv/yuichimccry,

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    I read on some “geek” sites: do _not_ watch *any* previews. Go in totally unprepared and apparently the last 30 minutes will blow your mind
    Quote Originally Posted by Yuuichi View Post
    Yeah this movie is suppose to "turn horror genre upside down". I will see it.
    Comments like these make me feel like im going to see a M Night movie and expecting a twist at the end and being very disappointed.

Ultimate Veteran
    I just want Drew Goddard to get together with Matt Reeves and J.J. Abrams again to work on the Cloverfield sequel. I don't think I can wait another two years.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Comments like these make me feel like im going to see a M Night movie and expecting a twist at the end and being very disappointed.
    Whoa, mentioning that name is so below the belt in the presence of Whedon and a writer of Cloverfield.

So because something sounds different, it sounds like M. Night? There's like a lack of imagination.

This first part wasn't totally serious, but I meant it

Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    I just want Drew Goddard to get together with Matt Reeves and J.J. Abrams again to work on the Cloverfield sequel. I don't think I can wait another two years.
    Hehe, I figured I'd get your attention with the thread title

Btw, I agree. I can picture a teaser trailer being awesome and unorthodox...

Sent using Tapatalk

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    Whoa, mentioning that name is so below the belt in the presence of Whedon and a writer of Cloverfield.

So because something sounds different, it sounds like M. Night? There's like a lack of imagination.

This first part wasn't totally serious, but I meant it

Sent using Tapatalk
    You know what i mean by what i said.
    Hype kills movies alot more these days and i dont want this movie to be just another disappointment.
    If i offended you i apologize.
    Whedon is a pretty cool guy. I loved Firefly and Serenity and i was pretty happy when i found out he was directing the Avengers. Cloverfield was ok. It would have been better if it wasnt a "found footage" movie.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    You know what i mean by what i said.
    Hype kills movies alot more these days and i dont want this movie to be just another disappointment.
    If i offended you i apologize.
    Whedon is a pretty cool guy. I loved Firefly and Serenity and i was pretty happy when i found out he was directing the Avengers. Cloverfield was ok. It would have been better if it wasnt a "found footage" movie.
    Minus the last part, it's all good. No offense taken.

Sent using Tapatalk

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    I've been eyeballing this movie since i first saw the standee for it at E3 or was it comic-con? Anyway, I have a feeling that this kinda gives the finger to traditional horror movies today and if that's so, I'll watch it. But I love the sci-fi element. Finally a horror movie without bad puns and a killer with a knife who's mute.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    Blacksite! *whistles for him*

Finally got an update on a certain movie!!

ComingSoon.net's Shock Till You Drop met up with Drew Goddard on Tuesday before he ventured out to Texas for the South By Southwest Film Festival to show off his impressive directorial debut, The Cabin in the Woods.

There's a full interview on that movie coming, but he also provided an update on Cloverfield 2, the sequel to the film he wrote for producer J.J. Abrams and director Matt Reeves.

"I'm in, I'm ready to do it," Goddard told the site. "Someone call J.J. and tell him to get moving, but because Matt and J.J. and I have been fortunate enough to be busy, it's hard syncing our schedules up. We're all very passionate about returning to that world."

Asked if an idea is on paper, he responded: "If you asked each of us what we wanted to do, you'll get three different answers, which is how the first film was. The aesthetic of Cloverfield benefits from that. Three voices pulling it. Look, nothing would make me happier than to get the three of us in the room to get started." He added with a laugh, "But you've got this Star Trek thing..."

Ultimate Veteran
    Yeah, I forgot about the Star Trek sequel. Although I enjoyed watching that as well I just feel like we don't get enough monster movies nowadays. Supposedly there's a Godzilla reboot in the works but I really don't know much about it.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    I'm more interested in something as unique as Cloverfield compared to Godzilla. Enjoyed the cheesy films as a kid and still interested but nonetheless Cloverfield actually made it unique.

Ultimate Veteran
    I hope the sequel has a longer running time though. They should also focus on a new setting. Of course the monster is dead but there are most likely more to be found underwater.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    I don't remember all the story ins and outs... what was it exactly?

Also, story should dictate runtime. I was fine with the shorter runtime of the movie, especially with it's handheld nature.

Ultimate Veteran
    Basically, the monster that you see in the movie was awakened by people working on the deep-sea drilling station, Chuai, along the Mid-Atlantic Ridge. The company Tagruato, whose capsized oil tanker you see burning during the bridge scene in the movie, owns the Chuai deep-sea drilling station and many others scattered around the world.

Cloverpedia has a pretty good summary on the monster:

The monster's origins are only revealed in the film's viral marketing campaign (Abrams wanted the movie to be realistic; if a monster did attack, civilians would have no idea where it came from), leaving some who have seen the film confused about where it really came from. Many speculate that it is of extraterrestrial descent, but this has been denied by J.J. Abrams. The object seen falling into the ocean is actually the Japanese government's ChimpanzIII satellite.

The monster is a deep-sea creature with an unknown evolutionary history. The species apparently has a very long life-span, as the creature is still an infant during the events of the film, regardless of being alive for thousands of years. It grew to its massive size through consuming large amounts of Seabed's Nectar, a natural steroid-like substance which is very addictive and causes increased cell division and growth, and is used by Tagruato's subsidiary company, "Slusho!", for use as their secret ingredient in their frozen drink of the same name. At some point afterwards, the monster went into a sort of hibernation.

The monster was first discovered by one of Tagruato's marine biologists, Kazui Ichigawa. Tagruato later stole his laptop and files and killed him and his family while they were on vacation in Daisetsu-San National Park, covering the assassination up as the result of a gas explosion in their trailer. Later, they used this information to locate the monster and built the Chuai station over it, claiming (falsely) that they were drilling for oil there.

Shortly before the rig was supposed to open, Tagruato sent several submarines from the station down six miles to the ocean floor to study the monster. This action disturbed the creature from its slumber, and in a fit of rage and fear it destroyed the station, then proceeded towards Manhattan.
    What makes the monster appealing to me anyway is the fact that it's a baby. Like J.J. Abrams said, it's confused, disoriented, and irritable. And it's been down in the water for thousands and thousands of years. They could always introduce a new monster for the sequel but I would personally like to see the same one, just older, more intelligent, and badass.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-07-2012 at 21:54.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    I love the fact that there backstory ties to the two main characters. Making the characters connected to the monster in a way and you don't realize it till after the movie.

If I recall right the girl's father (Odette [not the father]) own's the oil company, that the cap-sized ship belongs to?

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by RedDragon7 View Post
    I love the fact that there backstory ties to the two main characters. Making the characters connected to the monster in a way and you don't realize it till after the movie.

If I recall right the girl's father (Odette [not the father]) own's the oil company, that the cap-sized ship belongs to?
    No, that's the Marina Group. Rob Hawkins was the vice president of marketing for Slusho! Corp. though, which is a subsidary of Tagruato.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    As for Rob, yeah I got that... that's what the party was for. He was about to ship off to Japan to work for them.

I thought there was something about the girl's father... even something about a trip, which is when they get that penthouse for the day or weekend, whatever it was. I'm gonna be a little disappointed if none of that's true. I thought it was cool that they were both connected to the event.

Ultimate Veteran
    There's a lot of stuff in the Cloverfield universe that seems to be connected one way or another. The problem is that J.J. Abrams, Matt Reeves, and pretty much everyone else who was involved in setting up the ARG, never got around to wrapping it up. They did talk more about the monster with an analysis by the military or something like that but little things like the whereabouts of Teddy Hanssen were never disclosed. Supposedly he was on the bridge before the monster killed Jason but they never talked about it.

I love that stuff though. I'm a sucker for movie directors, video game developers, and writers expanding the universe in their works using other entertainment mediums.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    Pheonix7
    For me, it's more so the fact that a smaller story like Cloverfield has a lot written into it. It was thoroughly conceived. Especially since this a totally original idea, not based off some book series or comic books. That kind of passion worked in doesn't happen nearly as much these days.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Yeah, I forgot about the Star Trek sequel. Although I enjoyed watching that as well I just feel like we don't get enough monster movies nowadays. Supposedly there's a Godzilla reboot in the works but I really don't know much about it.
    I enjoyed Godzilla when it came out in 1999 or what ever, saw it a year ago on blu-ray and i turned it off after 1 hour, wow.... that is one bad movie, i cant believe i had such a bad taste in movies 12 years ago.

The The Cabin in the Woods trailer does a good job selling a movie that will most likely turn out to be an average horror flick.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Elite Guru
    i say wait for netflix or red box.

Thread Information