Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

Gearbox and PlayStation Move

I have a lot of respect for Gearbox, especially after the awesome sauce that is Borderlands. I was a very close part of the community at the official forums and got to experience the relationship that the devs have with the fans and it was (and probably still is) awesome.

They have some really badass games in the works. Borderlands 2, Aliens: Colonial Marines and Furious 4. Now for anyone who enjoyed and "clicked" to using the Move and Sharp Shooter, there is a quote from Gearbox CEO Randy Pitchford that was made a few months ago regarding his experience with it.

To celebrate the five-year anniversary of the PlayStation 3's launch in North America, the US PlayStation Blog published a collection of "must play" PS3 games suggested by some of the top game makers in the business. Among them, head of Gearbox Software Randy Pitchford was the only one listing Resistance 3 among his three favorites (the other two being Valkyria Chronicles and Demon's Souls), along with an intriguing comment about his experience with the PlayStation Move.

"Iím a big fan of anything Insomniac, but Resistance 3 motivated me to get the PlayStation Move set up with the sharp shooter controller, and itís a great way to play this great game," Pitchford said. "Itís always difficult to be able to rationalize custom development effort for sub-sets of customers on a platform, but the experience I had with Resistance 3 and the sharp shooter makes me want to see something special done with that interface in our games".

So, there you have it. If (and that's a big "if", mind you) Gearbox Software eventually announces Move support for any of its current projects (Aliens: Colonial Marines and Borderlands 2, scheduled for release in 2012 and 2013 respectively) you know you'll have to thank Insomniac for that.

Sauce.
    Now, it was recently announced that the Aliens game had been delayed. In a Q&A session with fans, Gearbox was asked about Move support and had this to say:

"We are exploring options on alternative controls but we havenít confirmed or announced anything yet," Gearbox's Adam Fletcher said in response to a question about Move. "I recommend following the Sega and Gearbox Twitter as we tend to update our fans immediately if we have any big news to reveal for our fans regarding A:CM."

Sauce.
    For any fans of Gearbox's games and motion controls on PS3, this all but confirmed adoption of Move by the studio is pretty cool news. I will be a VERY happy chap to be blasting aliens and bandits with my precision with Sharp Shooter.

Other noteworthy titles that have confirmed Move support are Bioshock Infinite, Dust 514 and Counter Strike: GO.

Also, on a side note, Randy said he would love to get Borderlands 2 on Vita, and that he just needed a publisher to step up. (this was already posted but just incase some missed it). It's great to see Gearbox embracing the Sony tech.

Want to see Borderlands 2 on PS Vita?

Support the fan campaign.
    by Sal Romano [@salromano] at 09:58 PM EDT, February 24, 2012 .

We love fan campaigns here at Gematsu, so whenever weíre able to help one out, itís always a pleasure. This time, fans are pushing to get Borderlands 2 on PlayStation Vita. And Gearbox Software CEO Randy Pitchford wants to make it happen.
    Responding to an e-mail from a fan regarding the FPS / RPG hybrid on the handheld, Pitchford supposedly said:
    Hi [name withheld],
    Thanks for the e-mail Ė I loved it!
    I love the Vita as do a lot of folks at the studio and we have explored this.
    Weíll need some partnerís help and partnerís commitments to make this happen. Feel free to let Sony and 2K Games and your favorite retailer know what you think.
    Cheers!
    - Randy
    Interested in playing Borderlands 2 on PS Vita? Then head over to this Reddit thread, upvote, and take the next step to get it there.

Last edited by Ghost; 03-12-2012 at 16:00.

Soldier 95B
    The more support the better, I say. Having options is a good thing. Glad to see Gearbox looking at alternative controls.

3. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Yeah it's great. The thought of using the pump action on Sharp Shooter to fire a grenade from the Aliens pulse rifle owns me. If 2012 brings me Move in Borderlands 2 and Aliens on top of Bioshock Infinite I will be be a happy chap.

Thread Information