Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 156

Thread: disliking posts

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Elite Guru
    J3ff3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,230
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    6,603 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style

    disliking posts

    its a backhanded way of trolling, and is frequently used as a 'dig' against other posters when the member can't think of anything better to say.

    if i went around quoting people and stating "that's wrong", without any context, i would be rightly infracted.

    why is this any different? from what i've seen of its use so far i think its pathetic, and likely to start arguements. if its part and parcel of the 'like' feature, in order to prevent the old "i agree" posts, then i think its a poor remedy

    just my thoughts on the feature.....
    Last edited by J3ff3; 03-13-2012 at 02:14.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

  2. #2
    Elite Guru
    J3ff3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,230
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    6,603 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    i wish i could dislike my own post so i could beat others to it.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

  3. #3
    Veteran
    The Black Wolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    MS, USA
    Posts
    4,719
    Rep Power
    48
    Points
    6,079 (12,000 Banked)
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    its a backhanded way of trolling, and is frequently used as a 'dig' against other posters when the member can't think of anything better to say.

    if i went around quoting people and stating "that's wrong", without any context, i would be rightly infracted.

    why is this any different? quite frankly i think its pathetic, and likely to start arguements.
    I agree. I, and I saw others, wasn't a fan of adding the options of "like" and "dislike". It's overkill.

    Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

  4. #4
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,218
    Rep Power
    142
    Points
    456,713 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    its a backhanded way of trolling, and is frequently used as a 'dig' against other posters when the member can't think of anything better to say.

    if i went around quoting people and stating "that's wrong", without any context, i would be rightly infracted.

    why is this any different? from what i've seen of its use so far i think its pathetic, and likely to start arguements. if its part and parcel of the 'like' feature, in order to prevent the old "i agree" posts, then i think its a poor remedy
    Thats a strange way of thinking. If I dislike your post, theres nothing to respond to, thus there is no argument.

    If I do respond with a long winded post full of degenerating text, an argument is born.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  5. #5
    Elite Sage
    Cuguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Age
    40
    Posts
    11,740
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    3,360,785 (212,741 Banked)
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    Thats a strange way of thinking. If I dislike your post, theres nothing to respond to, thus there is no argument.

    If I do respond with a long winded post full of degenerating text, an argument is born.
    It's because at PSU peoples posts are perfect and therefore, no reason to dislike.

    Seriously, if a dislike of your post is so offensive, it might be time to take a breath. It is a simple matter of voicing an opinion. It isn't trolling, the persons name is posted. If they disliked it, it more than likely is because THEY DIDN'T LIKE THE POST.
    LMAO

  6. #6
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,218
    Rep Power
    142
    Points
    456,713 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    It's because at PSU peoples posts are perfect and therefore, no reason to dislike.

    Seriously, if a dislike of your post is so offensive, it might be time to take a breath. It is a simple matter of voicing an opinion. It isn't trolling, the persons name is posted. If they disliked it, it more than likely is because THEY DIDN'T LIKE THE POST.
    This. To the maximum.

    A person has fallen very low to be offended by a dislike, given to them by another person. lol
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  7. #7
    Super Elite
    btbam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    The Moor
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    Age
    24
    Posts
    2,437
    Rep Power
    36
    Points
    1,541 (0 Banked)
    i really don't care when i get likes and dislikes. it was like 3 weeks before i even realized we had it. I just don't think its a big deal. its handy if you want to voice oposition to the post without adding to the discusion. You may disagree but not have anything to add. so instead f posting "i disagree" you just clikc a button.

    Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

  8. #8
    Elite Guru
    J3ff3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,230
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    6,603 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by btbam View Post
    i really don't care when i get likes and dislikes. it was like 3 weeks before i even realized we had it. I just don't think its a big deal. its handy if you want to voice oposition to the post without adding to the discusion. You may disagree but not have anything to add. so instead f posting "i disagree" you just clikc a button.
    which wouldn't be allowed anyway because it adds nothing to the discussion.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

  9. #9
    Elite Guru
    J3ff3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Age
    30
    Posts
    5,230
    Rep Power
    79
    Points
    6,603 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    fair enough, but you are assuming my annoyance has come from someone disliking my posts. it hasn't. i'm not aware of anyone that has done it to me. it has come from seeing a trend in those that use the feature, and if i have to be honest it is the immaturity that bothers me the most.

    post #1
    "x dislikes this"

    post #5
    "x dislikes this"

    post #9
    "x dislikes this"

    maybe "x" should $#@! off out of the thread or try and engage someone in conversation rather than down rating a post with little reasoning?

    i understand where you're coming from with the 'voicing opinion' angle Cuguy, but given your position you must know that its more complicated than that. having an opinion doesn't mean you have an unchallenged right to air it.

    @kwesnoth - i see your point, but maybe i should've put "serious" arguments. if someone replies negatively, then yes, an argument is born, or at least a discussion. if someone consistantly dislikes posts it will eventually end with someone telling them to grow the $#@! up.

    it isn't constructive.
    Last edited by J3ff3; 03-13-2012 at 02:45.
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

  10. #10
    Ultimate Veteran
    Metal King Slime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Age
    23
    Posts
    21,728
    Rep Power
    188
    Points
    2,835 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I already know someone whose post was disliked simply because he asked someone else to explain himself. Seems rather ridiculous. I don't really care either way if the like/dislike feature stays but there should be a limit to how many times you can dislike someone in a thread (much like the reputation feature).
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-13-2012 at 03:04.

  11. #11
    Friendship is Carrots
    Nerevar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Equestria
    Age
    21
    Posts
    15,360
    Rep Power
    132
    Points
    75,079 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Jeffe is right. So many times I've been disliked just because the person views it as a path to irritate me. They'll dislike to their heart's content just to say "I don't like you/your post" and sneak away without actually responding or offering a real argument.
    Add me on Steam!


    [Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

  12. #12
    Master Guru
    Fon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    @Home
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,115
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    107,340 (10,000 Banked)
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I just disliked -Kwesnoth, Cuguy and Blacksite's posts. Why?. Because they can take it. Because they can brush off petty dislikes like the bosses they are.

    In all seriousness, people dislike posts because they don't agree with the content one posts. I don't know how that can start an argument or irritate people, I mean you will always have someone out there who won't agree with you.







  13. #13
    Forum Guru
    ps3isawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,716
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    2,924 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    I just disliked -Kwesnoth, Cuguy and Blacksite's posts. Why?. Because they can take it. Because they can brush off petty dislikes like the bosses they are.

    In all seriousness, people dislike posts because they don't agree with the content one posts. I don't know how that can start an argument or irritate people, I mean you will always have someone out there who won't agree with you.
    I disliked this because I hate Fon and am trying to show him through post disliking
    Vengeful is amazing<3


  14. #14
    Super Moderator
    Admartian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    New Zealand
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Age
    27
    Posts
    12,831
    Rep Power
    127
    Points
    37,512 (0 Banked)
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    I disliked this because I hate Fon and am trying to show him through post disliking
    I disliked because I dislike the fact that you were yet to be disliked.

    (dis)Like, you know?




    #IndieStation4 and proud of it.

  15. #15
    Forum Guru
    ps3isawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,716
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    2,924 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by admartian View Post
    i disliked because i dislike the fact that you were yet to be disliked.

    (dis)like, you know?



    daamn yoouu

    <3
    Vengeful is amazing<3


  16. #16
    Master Guru
    Fon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    @Home
    Age
    25
    Posts
    6,115
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    107,340 (10,000 Banked)
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by ps3isawesome View Post
    I disliked this because I hate Fon and am trying to show him through post disliking
    D;


    Okay, maybe I don't fully understand why it's annoying to some since I rarely get any dislikes(Other then the playfully teasing ones). I personally support a thumbs up feature only if that's possible. I'm just throwing that in.







  17. #17
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,062
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    141,443 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    D;


    Okay, maybe I don't fully understand why it's annoying to some since I rarely get any dislikes(Other then the playfully teasing ones). I personally support a thumbs up feature only if that's possible. I'm just throwing that in.
    Yes, you can have the Likes only. It personally doesn't annoy me though. I just find the feature extremely arbitrary and added just for the sake of adding it. It doesn't do anything for the forums in a positive light. I mean, really. The staff said it all a while back when people were asking for a negative rep button. They said that wouldn't be fair to negatively respond to posts in that manner because people would do it out of spite. Ya know.. the same way the "dislike" feature is being used. Might as well add a spank, spin, and puke button. They'd serve just as much purpose as the dislike button does.

    Whatever though.
    Last edited by F34R; 03-13-2012 at 17:27.




  18. #18
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,218
    Rep Power
    142
    Points
    456,713 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    I just disliked -Kwesnoth, Cuguy and Blacksite's posts. Why?. Because they can take it. Because they can brush off petty dislikes like the bosses they are.

    In all seriousness, people dislike posts because they don't agree with the content one posts. I don't know how that can start an argument or irritate people, I mean you will always have someone out there who won't agree with you.
    Hell yes we are.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  19. #19
    Super Elite
    Acid Snake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    2,020
    Rep Power
    52
    Points
    8,967 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Ignore it, move on. Problem solved.
    Intel Core i7 920 @ 3.8GHz | Nvidia 660 ti | 6 GB Corsair Xms 1333 Mhz | 1 TB Seagate HDD | 250 GB WD HDD | Windows 7 Ultimate |

  20. #20
    Power Member
    Dave-The-Rave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Northern Ireland
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Age
    25
    Posts
    16,979
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    34,951 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yep noticed other people starting to do this so I just dislike all their posts in the particular thread to get my revenge.
    Trophy-licious!


    3DS: 3754-7606-9595

  21. #21
    Unbound Mercenary
    Kwes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    16,218
    Rep Power
    142
    Points
    456,713 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Yep noticed other people starting to do this so I just dislike all their posts in the particular thread to get my revenge.
    I noticed that.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.




  22. #22
    Forum Guru
    ps3isawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,716
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    2,924 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Lolz
    Vengeful is amazing<3


  23. #23
    Administrator
    Brandon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Age
    30
    Posts
    12,078
    Rep Power
    125
    Points
    116,828 (18,076 Banked)
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    Hell yes we are.
    *dislike*

    ... waits ...
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

  24. #24
    Legend
    F34R's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    South Carolina
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Posts
    40,062
    Rep Power
    243
    Points
    141,443 (0 Banked)
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I've yet to dislike a single post because I think it's a $#@! feature.




  25. #25
    Master Poster
    Beast of Bourbon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Blighttown
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Age
    30
    Posts
    3,481
    Rep Power
    75
    Points
    11,733 (0 Banked)
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    If you really think the "like" Feature is getting abused take a look at the statistics in the community section...

    P.s. Maybe we should remove all negative smileys too?! some might find them offensive.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.