Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Ice Age Park? Russian, S.Korean scientists to clone woolly mammoth

Ice Age Park? Russian, S.Korean scientists to clone woolly mammoth

Get short URL
    email story to a friend print version
    Published: [COLOR=#999999 !important]13 March, 2012, 22:22

[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#999999 !important]A woolly mammoth skeleton (Ethan Miller / Getty Images / AFP)

[/COLOR]
    TAGS: Animals, Russia, SciTech
    A Siberian research institute has joined forces with the world’s most controversial geneticist to clone the woolly mammoth – a species that has been extinct for thousands of years.
    Vasily Vasilyev, vice rector of North-Eastern Federal University of the Sakha Republic and Hwang Woo-Suk of South Korea's Sooam Biotech Research Foundation have signed an agreement, and say they hope to produce a living mammoth within six years.
    The union is no accident.
    Although mammoths once roamed Earth, they survived the longest in Northern Siberia, with the last dying out less than 2,000 years ago – some 8,000 years after they disappeared elsewhere. The cold climate also meant that they were best preserved in that part of the world, meaning Russian research institutes like Sakha University have access to more frozen mammoth parts than any other.
    Hwang is one of the world’s leading geneticists, and a celebrity in his native country. He was the first to clone a dog (Snuppy the Afghan hound, born in 2005) but was later given a suspended prison sentence for embezzlement and ethical violations when it was found out that he had faked some of his research.

South Korean scientist Hwang Woo-Suk (L) shakes hands with Vasily Vasiliev, vice director of North-Eastern Federal University of Russia's Sakha Republic (AFP Photo / Jung Yeon-Je)
    But despite the perfect match, the cloning is anything but straightforward – Russian and Japanese scientists have been working on cloning the mammoth for the best part of a decade, and the two countries already have a world-class team at Sakha University.
    One of the problems is that the DNA needs to be perfectly preserved. Hwang said that finding undamaged tissue would be the “primary difficulty,” and labeled the job “a tough task.”

If scientists did isolate perfect DNA from the mammoth, it would need to be implanted into the eggs of an elephant. The embryos would then be carried by an African elephant – the closest surviving relative of the mammoth – during a 22-month pregnancy.
    But despite the difficulty, seeing the creatures – famed for their colorful fur and 5 meter-long curved tusks – alive on Earth again would constitute perhaps the greatest scientific achievement of the century.

If the project is successful, it would be the second time an extinct animal has been “resurrected.” The Pyrenean ibex – a type of wild goat that became extinct in 2000 – was cloned three years ago, but the billy died within minutes.
    link: http://rt.com/news/mammoth-cloning-siberia-kora-501/

Now i am all for bringing back animals and creatures that were extinct.. But i hope not to see this in my town
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I remember hearing about this some years ago, surprised it's all going ahead. I fail to see what the point is in bringing back animals like the mammoth other than man kinds desire to rule over nature. I just hope the science involved in this will be suitable for integration to help medical issues like curing diseases.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Its about damn time..they've been talking about it for way too long. Unethical my ass, its no more different than human who have babies from donors or hosts. This is going to be interesting. If they can get the species reborn and then manage to sustain it and build the populaion back up.

We'll never see dinosaurs though cause we need close relatives. Where the Mammoth is concerned we are lucky there are still elephants around.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Forum Sage
    I can hear it already

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    agree, but the fear is still there for it all to get out of control
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    I agree with Sylar there is no point to this. Big waste of time and money. These scientist can spend their time trying to do something important to better mankind.

Administrator
    I say why the $#@! not?

I'd pay to see a wooly mammoth... or a mastodon.

The robot apocalypse will wipe us all out anyway, might as well get as many gigantic animals we can ride against them.

8. Likes Dave-The-Rave likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Bishop View Post

I'd pay to EAT a wooly mammoth... or a mastodon.
    Fixed that for you.

C'mon, I can't be the only one thinking that.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by BoyBettaKnow View Post
    Fixed that for you.

C'mon, I can't be the only one thinking that.
    Could be extremely tasty.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninites View Post
    I agree with Sylar there is no point to this. Big waste of time and money. These scientist can spend their time trying to do something important to better mankind.
    We only live once, I want to see a Woolly Mammoth DAMMIT !!
    Trophy-licious!

Super Elite
    Items User name style
    Awesome! Bring back all extinct animals that still have close relatives.

Click HERE for my Videos

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Bring back neanderthals...

Trophy-licious!

Administrator
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    Bring back neanderthals...

We're genetically closer to chimps than we are Neanderthals. Wouldn't work anyway.

* Tapatalking *
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave-The-Rave View Post
    We only live once, I want to see a Woolly Mammoth DAMMIT !!
    Dude just get a DeLorean

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninites View Post
    Dude just get a DeLorean
    I don't think the date/time clock goes to the negatives... and plutonium would be very hard to acquire... or finding straight enough roads to reach the appropriate speedometer speed to achieve time travel. Gosh!

* Tapatalking *
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.”

Veteran

PSN ID
    Cybertox
    Russian and the Koreans unites to reproduce the beasts and then conquer the world...
    Im ok with that, im russian LOL
    Last edited by Cybertox; 03-14-2012 at 18:09.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertox View Post
    Russian and the Koreans unites to reproduce the beats and then conquer the world...
    Im ok with that, im russian LOL
    O.o

* Tapatalking *

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Quote Originally Posted by PeanutButterMunky View Post
    I don't think the date/time clock goes to the negatives... and plutonium would be very hard to acquire... or finding straight enough roads to reach the appropriate speedometer speed to achieve time travel. Gosh!

* Tapatalking *
    Minor details that can be easily solved

Master Poster
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Google ChromeDiceGoogle ChromeBattlefield 3Christian Bale

Life will find...a way.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Quote Originally Posted by neoxthexone View Post

Life will find...a way.
    Jeff...Goldblum.
    Trophy-licious!

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Clone the Megalodon or GTFO. It's just that simple.

/thread

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Clone the Megalodon or GTFO. It's just that simple.

/thread
    Yeah, I would never go surfing again.

* Tapatalking *

Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    I remember hearing about this some years ago, surprised it's all going ahead. I fail to see what the point is in bringing back animals like the mammoth other than man kinds desire to rule over nature. I just hope the science involved in this will be suitable for integration to help medical issues like curing diseases.
    I should probably agree with this, but....... i would really like to see a living wooly mammoth. Afterall life would be rather boring if we didnt do some things just for the hell of it. For example, it would be completely pointless and a massive waste of time and money to blow up a shed with dynamite. But i would still do it in a flash if i had a spare shed and managed to get my hands on some dynamite.

Thread Information