Latest PSU headlines:

Elite Guru

Skyrim: Upcoming DLC to Feel More like World Expansions

http://www.gamebandits.com/news/the-...ansions-36926/

Prior to its release last November, Bethesda, the developer of The Elder Scrolls 5 – Skyrim, has let it be known to all that it will not be taking the issue of downloadable content packages (DLC) lightly. Bethesda has said that its DLC packages will be substantial from a content perspective. At the time they were making these statements, they were a breath of fresh air.
    You have to admit that there are too many flimsy DLC releases out there. Some just feature a map. Others feature a forgettable character add-on. The hard truth is that, when it comes to betting the most content bang for your buck, many of the DLCs for much of the big game series out there just plain old miss the mark. Not on Bethesda’s watch, apparently. According to the developer, they will be taking a more deliberate DLC approach than what they did with Fallout 3. The plan for The Elder Scrolls 5 – Skyrim is to deliver beefier DLCs. Indeed, according to Bethesda’s Todd Howard, they plan to take more of their time putting together more content-rich packages. In fact, the DLCs would feel more like expansion packs. I like this beefy approach. If you’ve played Skyrim before, you’d quickly realize that while the game is packed with tons of side quests, you can burn through much of these quite quickly if you are very focused.

Given the more deliberative approach Bethesda will be taking, it looks like it will be a safe bet to guess that Skyrim will be getting less than five expansion DLCs. Howard does realize that this timeline might result in large gaps, so he does expect to release small content packages in between the gaps. So far, it looks like a solid content plan.

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    This is great, I'm hoping it will be similar to the Mass Effect 2 DLC in the sense that it takes a couple of hours to complete, instead of side tracking the main quests for half an hour.

"Guns for Show, Knives for Pro"

Superior Member

I'm glad they are taking their time and actually looking to release something people will want to buy and will give us something that isn't some gimmicky cash grab. Too many developers these days release BS DLC simply because they can all while most of it should have been in the game from the start.

Ideally Skyrim's DLC is going to offer a bunch of new side quests, along with an entire new "main" type story line, new shouts, weapons, magic, etc. I will gladly pay $10-15 for something that is going to extend the game by a good 10+ hours.

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    top news, i feel that when you get all the DLC'S for fallout 3, they were so small and it pissed me of on how quick you beat them.

Now this seems to be, that when you get the first DLC, it will last longer than a day, more like a week or a full month

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    never got why DLC was never an Expansion pack. i think of Call of Duty, the expansion on that was friggin' epic

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    D3seeker
    Items PS3 Slim

After seeing this I certainly hope so. Looks like some interesting possibilities for the future, and that's just a small dose of the things they'd made up for fun.

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    They've already kinda talked about their plans with teh DLC. A big focus will be on updating, tweaking and bettering the current content of Skyrim, be that with some of the stuff in the Jam like building your own house, riding dragons, having a warewolf skill tree, water arrows. moving sections of dungeons etc. Of course there will be narrative advancements and new quests etc but Skyrim is already a content heavy masterpiece so they want to make it better still.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Final Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    From the article it seems pretty speculative on what "beefier" might actually be. I was not a fan of Fallout method, but it sounds like it might be similar to the Oblivion method. Not necessarily an expansion like Shivering Isles, but should be interesting nonetheless.

Sounds like in the meantime, or in between the beefy DLC, there might be the horse armor or house type DLC packs for the small content packages.

Regardless, excited to see what they bring out as DLC.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This is great, I'm hoping it will be similar to the Mass Effect 2 DLC in the sense that it takes a couple of hours to complete, instead of side tracking the main quests for half an hour.
    I hope its nothing like ME2s DLC, and more of an expansion and will take many hours to complete. I found ME2s DLC far, far too short.. and happy it was included on disc.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Unbound Mercenary
    Awesome news!

Looking forward to seeing these "beefy" DLC packs.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Dedicated Member
    Good, somebody understands how DLC should be.

You hear that Squarehead - Enix? Don't just have ****ty DLC just to get into the DLC bandwagon, make it worth a damn!

Super Elite
    I actually stopped playing Skyrim when my fiance walked out on me during my wedding, it hurt me so badly! I GAVE THAT WOMAN THE BEST 15 MINUTES OF MY LIFE!!!

I should probably start it up sometime
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

PSN ID
    oOAsyluMOo
    I am completely excited for the skyrim dlc, on the other hand I don't agree with ppl that complain about fallout dlc's, a few hrs? What about all the items, perks etc you get out of it? 10 bucks is fine to me for the length and upgrades you get, I. Would even pay 20-30 bucks for skyrim dlc if its big enough, large map, new weapons skills items etc, 6+ hrs of main story plus side quests? With my style of play I already have over 200 hrs in and still have alot of things to do, my biggest request is keep the bugs to a minimum

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk

Master Guru
    Items Final Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    I hope its something like Shivering Isles and not Knights of the Nine. Oblivion was admittedly my first Elder Scrolls game, I am however enjoying Skyrim a whole lot more than Oblivion. Shivering Isles expansion was one of the better parts of Oblivion (it was in fact my favorite part). I certainly wouldn't mind Skyrim's dlc being equivalent in terms of content and length.

Currently playing? Skyrim (360). White Knight Chronicles (PS3). Majoras Mask (Wii). Final Fanasy VII (PS2). Just completed? Final Fantasy VI.

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by Fedos View Post
    I hope its something like Shivering Isles and not Knights of the Nine. Oblivion was admittedly my first Elder Scrolls game, I am however enjoying Skyrim a whole lot more than Oblivion. Shivering Isles expansion was one of the better parts of Oblivion (it was in fact my favorite part). I certainly wouldn't mind Skyrim's dlc being equivalent in terms of content and length.
    That was a bad move right there. You should have at least started with Morrowind. That was waaay better then Oblivion.

And I agree. I hope these DLCs are vast, and actually add lots more to do in the game, for those who have completed everything they find.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Master Guru
    Items Final Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IV
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    That was a bad move right there. You should have at least started with Morrowind. That was waaay better then Oblivion.

And I agree. I hope these DLCs are vast, and actually add lots more to do in the game, for those who have completed everything they find.
    lol Yeah well, I actually bought Morrowind: Game of the Year Edition for the Xbox and started a save on it a little bit after completing Oblivion and found it hard to get into it. It just didn't hold up as well. I may give it another shot as I didn't get very far into the game from my recollection (either the first or second area is where I managed to get to).

Currently playing? Skyrim (360). White Knight Chronicles (PS3). Majoras Mask (Wii). Final Fanasy VII (PS2). Just completed? Final Fantasy VI.

I'm a real boy!
    This has been said since before the game's release. How is this still considered news and/or why does it keep getting brought up?

Thread Information