Latest PSU headlines:

View Poll Results: Are you disappointed with Japanese Developers?

Voters
40. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

30 75.00%
  • No

10 25.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst ... 3
    War
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    It was improved by the US, it was invented by a German Mathematician.

It's not just some, there are a lot of concepts that we had to learn. Japan is known to be much more efficient at business processes than the US.

The whole idea of being personable and collective is a new concept in US and slowly they're learning this from the far east.

That's funny because most of the IT people are from the East (that includes southeast Asia to the far east Asia).

Google, Apple, Windows, all of this crap is just business. It doesn't mean that one set of engineers and programmers are better than the rest.
    So no. you cant name Japan's Google Apple, MS, Oracle.And cheap outsourcing of IT to india is not the same. LoL

Extreme Poster
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by War View Post
    So no. you cant name Japan's Google Apple, MS, Oracle.And cheap outsourcing of IT to india is not the same. LoL
    I'm not talking about outsourcing, I'm talking about the abundance of IT engineers within Apple, Google and MS.

Go to any one of the IT job fairs (I went to a business one but had IT there too) and about 300 Indians and a dozen Asians were taking up the entire floor with their lines.

It's a business. You will see a lot of Asians in credits too (hollywood movies) when it comes to animation, graphics and design.

The point I'm making here isn't that they're better but that they're not weak, they are some of the best out there alongside with the western programmers that have caught up and going beyond at the moment.

I still think that we can't survive as a gaming industry without the Japanese.

Quote Originally Posted by Azu View Post
    Great games are great games, no matter what platform they are for, and handhelds happen to have ****tons of great games, which makes it incredibly stupid to ignore such platforms if you're at all interested in diverse quality gaming (even less if you whine about console games being nothing but uninspired FPSs nowadays, which in itself is a stupid claim). I understand if you don't have the finances to support owning multiple gaming devices, but handhelds unarguably have awesome game line-ups and to just brush them off just because they are on handhelds IS irrational.

Especially with PSP, 3DS & Vita, handheld games can give you experiences that aren't much (or at all) inferior to console games nowadays. A game like Resident Evil Revelations is actually much better than Resident Evil 5 or (I'm guessing) Operation Raccoon City, and Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep is the best Kingdom Hearts game by far. They of course also offer plenty of experiences not available (Ace Attorneys, DJ Max Portables, Ys OiF & Seven, Trails in the Sky and a million others) and perhaps not even possible on home consoles (Meteos, Kirby: Canvas Curse, Ouendan, The World Ends With You).

Handhelds at the very least supplement home consoles (by offering different kinds of experiences when compared to home console games, some of which might not even be possible on home consoles as they are) and can be just as good as console gaming (i.e. like pointed above, certain handheld iterations being better than console iterations).
    I can see your point. I'm one of those that have a like/dislike relationship with the handheld but I too understand the importance of them and the reason why they hold their own. I think both have their goods and bads.

Aside from some good games on both, I just feel that you will have the full experience on the home consoles. I'm just not a big fan of tiny thumbsticks and being a huge shooter fan, it just doesn't interest me much. Now as far as my RPG fix or any other game that isn't supposed to be competitive online and require both sticks, I will agree with you that this is something that the handhelds are taking over, gradually but surely.
    Last edited by Sufi; 03-17-2012 at 19:03.

War
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I'm not talking about outsourcing, I'm talking about the abundance of IT engineers within Apple, Google and MS.

Go to any one of the IT job fairs (I went to a business one but had IT there too) and about 300 Indians and a dozen Asians were taking up the entire floor with their lines.

It's a business. You will see a lot of Asians in credits too (hollywood movies) when it comes to animation, graphics and design.

The point I'm making here isn't that they're better but that they're not weak, they are some of the best out there alongside with the western programmers that have caught up and going beyond at the moment.

I still think that we can't survive as a gaming industry without the Japanese.
    Asian or Indian descend doesn't mean they are not american. If they live and work in US, then they are american.

Either way, I am tired of arguing about this. I still don't see any companies that can match up againt MS, Google, Apple in terms of software in Japan.

Superior Member

Japan is good with hardware. U.S. is good with software.

However Japan is no slouch with software, since Japan is the capitol of Robotics advancements and Robotics have some of the most strenuous software requirements out there.
    Shinei!

5. Likes Sufi likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by War View Post
    Asian or Indian descend doesn't mean they are not american. If they live and work in US, then they are american.

Either way, I am tired of arguing about this. I still don't see any companies that can match up againt MS, Google, Apple in terms of software in Japan.
    That's exactly my point lol. America is a place of business. Whereas the rest of the world doesn't get the best talent from all over. America does. It makes it that much tougher for others to compete.

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    barit
    Im very disappointed of Square Enix for the last years. They have done nothing good this generation it seems. The worst move was the emerge with Edios. Now u see their brand name on random FPS or other western shooters like Just Cause 2 and Deus Ex HE. And the funniest thing about that is that these are the better games from Square/Edios.

If i see what happens to the RPG part i have to cry. First the big letdown with FFXIII then the complete fail with Dungeon Siege 3. Even the traditional JRPGs seems to suffer of this like Star Ocean: The International Edition.

No thats not the Square (Soft) Enix that everyone loves and known back in the PS1/PS2 days. Very frustrating for me because im such a huge Final Fantasy fan and it brings tears in my eyes to see how SE ruins that series.
    Last edited by bariton1; 03-18-2012 at 21:38.

8. Likes Fon likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items DreamcastPlayStationNintendoBullyGTA ClaudeFinal Fantasy IX
    Quote Originally Posted by bariton1 View Post
    Im very disappointed of Square Enix for the last years. They have done nothing good this generation it seems. The worst move was the emerge with Edios. Now u see their brand name on random FPS or other western shooters like Just Cause 2 and Deus Ex HE. And the funniest thing about that is that these are the better games from Square/Edios.

If i see what happens to the RPG part i have to cry. First the big letdown with FFXIII then the complete fail with Dungeon Siege 3. Even the traditional JRPGs seems to suffer of this like Star Ocean: The International Edition.

No thats not the Square (Soft) Enix that everyone loves and known back in the PS1/PS2 days. Very frustrating for me because im such a huge Final Fantasy fan and it brings tears in my eyes to see how SE ruins that series.
    Hopefully they can take a cue from Final Fantasy Versus XIII and make a lot of the basic elements like open-world maps, airships, and magic commonplace again. Good writing and likable characters are also pretty important.

3DS Friend Code: 1349-4916-2054

Superior Member

I think what Square has forgotten is that with Final Fantasy, the world itself is the star of the game. It has to be interesting, mysterious and dangerous. Open exploration is almost essential to present a world in that manner. Make a game too linear and the mystery portion goes away.

Hopefully vsXIII gives us these elements. Magic needs to be a mysterious force that we learn more and more about as the game progresses. We need to hear about places before we go explore them to build the mystery. There needs to be cool stuff hidden all about the world. Old ruins to explore with ancient technology or magic to discover. Hidden societies to find. And implacable enemies to flee from and finally massacre as your characters gain experience.

I feel that the world of FFXIII was one of the more interesting ones that SquEnix has presented us in a long time...but they presented that world in a completely awful manner. Too linear. Too much information held back (presented to you only in the database). Not enough self discovery (that's the big one in a JRPG)

Get these elements right, and the games will be great again. The only thing we'll have to complain about will be the terrible dialogue.
    Shinei!

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by bariton1 View Post

They've made some of their best games in recent years, and plenty of good ones which, while maybe not quite up to par with their best games of the past, are still very enjoyable games.

The World Ends With You
    Kingdom Hearts Birth By Sleep
    Dragon Quest IX
    Nier
    Theatrhythm
    Final Fantasy Type-0
    Dissidia 012
    Crisis Core: FFVII
    3rd Birthday
    Tactics Ogre: Let Us Cling Together
    Final Fantasy XIII-2

The first two are some of the best action RPGs ever released by ANY company, completely ****ting on Squaresoft classics, as far as gameplay goes. Theatrhythm seems like a really awesome rhythm game, Nier is a flawed gem of a game, Final Fantasy Type-0 has gotten plenty of positive feedback, Dissidia 012 is possibly the best brawler outside of Super Smash Bros. series. Even XIII-2, even with its flaws, is a big step into the right direction again, fixing (at least partly) most of XIII's flaws.

Now playing: PSP: Persona 3 Portable (3)DS: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D PS3: deBlob 2 PC: The Witcher 2
    Next In Line: Ghost Trick
    Recently Finished:

Thread Information