Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Dbl Post
    Last edited by mynd; 03-17-2012 at 05:39.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I didn't think they were.....and here is worldwide:

http://www.shacknews.com/article/637...mbers-revealed
    • Xbox 360 (Microsoft)
      • FY06 / July 1, 2005 - June 30, 2006: 5.0 Million
      • FY07 / July 1, 2006 - June 30, 2007: 6.6 Million
        FY08 / July 1, 2007 - June 30, 2008: 8.7 Million
        FY09 / July 1, 2008 - June 30, 2009: 11.2 Million
        FY10 / July 1, 2009 - March 31, 2010: 8.8 Million
    Looks like in 2010 they declined a bit. But those sales are before the kinect launch.
    Those numbers arent correct.
    They are only for 3/4 of the last year.

•FY06 / July 1, 2005 - June 30, 2006: 5.0 Million
    •FY07 / July 1, 2006 - June 30, 2007: 6.6 Million
    FY08 / July 1, 2007 - June 30, 2008: 8.9 Million
    FY09 / July 1, 2008 - June 30, 2009: 11.1 Million
    FY10 / July 1, 2009 - June 30, 2010: 10.3 Million
    FY11 / July 1, 2010 - June 30, 2011: 13.4 Million
    1/2 Year July 1, 2011 - Dec 31, 2011: 10.5 Million

The marginal decrease (800k) was hardly a decline.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It's been discussed to death already.... sales were declining up until SLIM was released. It is a fact, whether you choose to accept it or not....
    Fixed that for you.

And even thats not techically true, they had a poor 09 Xmas, down 800k.
    Outside of that, their sales where tracking exactly the same as the year before.

It wasnt graduall, or even a decline, it was simply a bad Xmas in 09.
    Last edited by mynd; 03-17-2012 at 05:48.

3. Likes Sub-stance1, The Cage likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    The increase is definitely due to Kinect. Kinect was probably the only reason we didn't see a decline for FY11.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    The increase is definitely due to Kinect. Kinect was probably the only reason we didn't see a decline for FY11.
    Slim boosted sales significantly, but yes kinect is the reason they have seen a significant increase.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by War View Post
    Patter of decline is there. You could see it peaking out. Core market was already getting saturated. No wonder MS decided to drop core and go for fresh new market called casual gaming. Its paying off very well.
    Luckily MS is focused on the core. That explains why there are so many great core titles coming. Love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    Those numbers arent correct.
    They are only for 3/4 of the last year.

ēFY06 / July 1, 2005 - June 30, 2006: 5.0 Million
    ēFY07 / July 1, 2006 - June 30, 2007: 6.6 Million
    FY08 / July 1, 2007 - June 30, 2008: 8.9 Million
    FY09 / July 1, 2008 - June 30, 2009: 11.1 Million
    FY10 / July 1, 2009 - June 30, 2010: 10.3 Million
    FY11 / July 1, 2010 - June 30, 2011: 13.4 Million
    1/2 Year July 1, 2011 - Dec 31, 2011: 10.5 Million

The marginal decrease (800k) was hardly a decline.

Fixed that for you.

And even thats not techically true, they had a poor 09 Xmas, down 800k.
    Outside of that, their sales where tracking exactly the same as the year before.

It wasnt graduall, or even a decline, it was simply a bad Xmas in 09.
    Thanks for those numbers. I mainly wanted to show the pre-Kinect ones. Anyways, it shows that sales were pretty good before Kinect came along.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Luckily MS is focused on the core. That explains why there are so many great core titles coming. Love it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    What core titles are microsoft focusing on?

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    What core titles are microsoft focusing on?
    halo and forza and fable. Other titles are 3rd party. Nothing MS 1st party are focusing on other than the 3 I listed.
    Last edited by Two4DaMoney; 03-17-2012 at 17:33.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Thought I had missed something....

Master Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Thought I had missed something....
    With the way soldier carries on about core titles it would fool anyone. All I see is a company making tons of money from the casuals and feeding the core with the same exclusive titles and timed exclusive dlc because they are afraid to "fail".
    "Creating core IP, as many first-and third-parties have seen over the years, isn't an easy thing," he explained.

"I went through the process of creating Gears with Epic and I know the sweat, time, and effort hat went into it," Spencer added. "I also worked on things like Alan Wake, Too Human, Crackdown, and stuff that didn't hit the same level of success, but had an equal amount of sweat equity and heart go into getting created."
    ^This is what I wanted to argue in the other thread before Cuguy got all nervous and $#@!. They even doubt themselves somewhat.

The Gears titles took around 10 - 13 million to create. Epic was already creating gears without his help at the start of this gen. It's what made the 360 what it is today as far as specs. Too Human cost them 80million(another title being created before MS stepped in). There's no excuse for that title turning out bad other than MS bad management(since he's taking credit for this stuff). They didn't promote Alan Wake(another title being created before MS stepped in) and they rushed crackdown 2 which I believe it was like 13months of dev time.

They say this...
    "So it will continue to be something that we focus on with new partners like Crytek and new people that aren't announced yet. We do think that it's fundamental that core gamers look at 360 as the place they want to play games."
    And all that came from the crytek deal was a kinect/hybrid game and the unannounced deals(which will likely be kinect or live title given their trend as of late)

Sony makes less profit than MS and they take risk with new i.p's. I'm not saying they all are successful but atleast they are trying. The titles that do get sequels are titles that are making them a profit. And more than half the time Sony does a real $#@! job promoting their titles compared to how MS promote theirs.

*No list wars people. This can be talked about without that*

12. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Luckily MS is focused on the core. That explains why there are so many great core titles coming. Love it. Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    What other core first party is MS focusing on besides Halo, Forza and Fable? And the latest Fable is actually a Kinect game now and cant even be played with a controller.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    What other core first party is MS focusing on besides Halo, Forza and Fable? And the latest Fable is actually a Kinect game now and cant even be played with a controller.
    Indeed. At this point you can call MS ANYTHING BUT focused on the core. The point of this post is not to bash MS, I just don't see what MS is doing for the core audience. It seems ever since Kinect launch MS has done NOTHING but try and shove Kinect down the throats of consumers and in comparison it seems sony is ignoring PS move and the casual market.
    I'm not saying which is right or which is wrong, but in my eyes MS has nothing to offer to the hardcore gamer except a select few games.

15. Likes Ghost , Two4DaMoney likes this post
    War
    He keeps saying that. Maybe he thinks that if he says it enough times it might come true? Or maybe somehow fool others to thinking that MS is focusing on core? Most likely, I think he just wrote that thinking it would bait me.

Quote Originally Posted by Two4DaMoney View Post
    halo and forza and fable. Other titles are 3rd party. Nothing MS 1st party are focusing on other than the 3 I listed.
    Fable does not count anymore. Remember now its on rail kinect shooter?

edit.
    mistake calling it shooter. Point is it is on rail. and you shoot magic and stuff.
    Last edited by War; 03-17-2012 at 19:10.

Forum Overseer
    Fable is a shooter?

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Fable is a shooter?
    No it's not

Forum Elder
    Sony makes less profit than MS and they take risk with new i.p's. I'm not saying they all are successful but atleast they are trying.
    you cant say there all successful because they are not.

The titles that do get sequels are titles that are making them a profit. And more than half the time Sony does a real $#@! job promoting their titles compared to how MS promote theirs.

*No list wars people. This can be talked about without that*
    We talked to the president of Sony's Worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...=2&PageIndex=3

I wanted to get your perspective on the sales of Sony first-party titles compared to say, Microsoft. Sony published many titles in 2011, but most didnít sell as well as you probably expected. Microsoft, released one game, Gears of War 3, which outsold many of Sonyís games combined. How do you evaluate that? Is this just a marketing issue?

Itís a combination of many things. First, we have to be very honest about our gamesí quality as well. We love our games, but we can point out many issues when you look at the titles individually.
    Another thing is focus. When you have ten games coming out in a year compared to two or three, how much focus you get from our business and marketing side is very hard. From a portfolio side, we were very excited about the games we had last year, but we probably diluted support for each title.
    those that speak out in favour of PS3 exclusives really need to wake up. having lots of exclusives does not equal better games, just more and that is not something to constantly sing about.

as always, more does not = better and in the case of PS3, more is definitely not better.

20. Likes The Cage likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    We talked to the president of Sony's Worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...=2&PageIndex=3 those that speak out in favour of PS3 exclusives really need to wake up. having lots of exclusives does not equal better games, just more and that is not something to constantly sing about. as always, more does not = better and in the case of PS3, more is definitely not better.
    Ok, I have to say that is a good point that even Sony agrees with according to that article. But I still wouldn't mind like maybe two more new core IPs in MS first party portfolio. Anyway, I actually forgot about that article. lol Thanks for posting that and reminding me.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-17-2012 at 19:31.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    It seems ever since Kinect launch MS has done NOTHING but try and shove Kinect down the throats of consumers and in comparison it seems sony is ignoring PS move and the casual market.
    I'm not saying which is right or which is wrong, but in my eyes MS has nothing to offer to the hardcore gamer except a select few games.
    MS have said they want "quality and impact" over having more average games, Sony have said they "want to promote the device as a family-friendly console".

fact of the matter is, if you own a 360 there are more than enough core tittles coming out this year to keep you happy without MS having any need to release them. i'm thinking for the most part, 360 owners are happy with what there getting, while those that support PS3 try to use it as something....... then again, if you have a PS3 why would you worry about the lack of MS core games? surely PS3 has enough to keep you happy?

23. Likes The Cage likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    you cant say there all successful because they are not.

We talked to the president of Sony's Worldwide studios Shuhei Yoshida
    http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/a...=2&PageIndex=3

those that speak out in favour of PS3 exclusives really need to wake up. having lots of exclusives does not equal better games, just more and that is not something to constantly sing about.

as always, more does not = better and in the case of PS3, more is definitely not better.
    All that means is Microsoft markets the fewer games more than Sony can with the larger release library within the same time periods.

25. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Master Poster
    All that means is Microsoft markets the fewer games more than Sony can with the larger release library within the same time periods.
    Quality over quantity my friend.

Forum Elder
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cage View Post
    just what MS say..

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by The Cage View Post
    The only thing that makes sense with that is with regards to marketing. Otherwise, you'll have to give me your criteria on deciding whether a title is quality or not.

When you say quality over quantity, what happens when that is busted when the competition is releasing quality at a higher quantity too? hmmmm

Anyways.. this isn't even about 360 vs PS3; yet it always derails into that here. I don't see any way someone can defend Microsoft saying that they are focused on core releases. Let's leave the PS3 out of this because quite frankly if you compare first party core games between the two, Microsoft comes unarmed these days.

So, topic, Microsoft, focus, core... where is it? Show me the core games MICROSOFT is releasing, has released, etc. I get plenty of core gaming on the 360, definitely, no doubting that. Most of it is at the expense of third parties though.

Just my take on it though...

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    The only thing that makes sense with that is with regards to marketing. Otherwise, you'll have to give me your criteria on deciding whether a title is quality or not. When you say quality over quantity, what happens when that is busted when the competition is releasing quality at a higher quantity too? hmmmm Anyways.. this isn't even about 360 vs PS3; yet it always derails into that here. I don't see any way someone can defend Microsoft saying that they are focused on core releases. Let's leave the PS3 out of this because quite frankly if you compare first party core games between the two, Microsoft comes unarmed these days. So, topic, Microsoft, focus, core... where is it? Show me the core games MICROSOFT is releasing, has released, etc. I get plenty of core gaming on the 360, definitely, no doubting that. Most of it is at the expense of third parties though. Just my take on it though...
    Yeah, my core gaming on 360 comes mainly from 3rd party as well since I usually buy my multiplat games on it. My first party on 360 mainly boils down to Halo, Forza and Gears. Although I'm a little burnt out on Gears. The way I see it is that if you buy all your games on 360 its not really a big deal as you have lots of core games to play. But if it isnt your main console and you just use it for core exclusives then its pretty thin pickings.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 03-17-2012 at 20:00.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot

According to Metacritic, Sony has 11 1st party exclusives scoring 90 and above and MS has 8. If we look lower from 85-90 Sony 1st party has about 12 titles and MS has 2. So between 85-100 Sony has 23 1st party games and MS has 10. Also, Sony has 2 titles scoring higher than MS's best scoring title. It kinda looks like more is better to me, but that's just my opinion based on the fact that Sony has more than doubled the quantity of games within the same meta value.

Unless I'm mistaken, SCE is a profitable business now. Even if each game doesn't sell 3-5 million like the blockbusters, they are getting more games out there that are being well received as far as metacritic is concerned.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Core games though... CORE games Ghost. How many 1st party core games does Msoft have up that high?

Yeah, my core gaming on 360 comes mainly from 3rd party as well since I usually buy my multiplat games on it. My first party on 360 mainly boils down to Halo, Forza and Gears. Although I'm a little burnt out on Gears. The way I see it is that if you buy all your games on 360 its not really a big deal as you have lots of core games to play. But if it isnt your main console and you just use it for core exclusives then its pretty thin pickings.

Oh I agree. I have a TON of games to play on the 360, core games at that ... however, I take issue with people that say Microsoft is focused on core gaming when they have shown since Kinect launched that they are absolutely not focused on that sector of gaming beyond their already established threepeat of core games.

Thread Information