Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Suggestion: Screening members to stop spam bots

I notice a lot of spam bots on this forum. After the mods or admins ban one, another joins five minutes later.

I just wanted to make a suggestion or was wondering something, is there any way you can screen members when they first join to pick out the bots or would that be too much for dealing with bots?

It's just a suggestion and it may not be a good one but I was just wondering.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Unbound Mercenary
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I think its a lot harder then you think. There is not really a way to screen members. They only know its a spam bot after it posts.

I think, I may be wrong.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    You can do ip bans within ranges, but sometimes someone legit can get caught... so basically you just have to be very reactive to them. Just report them and move on.

4. Likes Kwes likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    What about those "type the caption" security checks? I can't remember if it's one when you sign up. Are bots getting around those too?

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    They use "Human Verification" here... not sure if that rotates with Captcha or not. Basically you click on a video, and in that video it tells you what your verification answer needs to be.

Unbound Mercenary
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    They use "Human Verification" here... not sure if that rotates with Captcha or not. Basically you click on a video, and in that video it tells you what your verification answer needs to be.
    How are bots getting around stuff such as this.
    Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Ultimate Veteran
    Regular members, more often than not, don't report them. But they're easy to spot. They have really random usernames, they'll parrot parts of other posts, and post the same random link in every post (although this only shows up in their post history). The current SMCs can also spot them from the main page (Currently Active Users list), run the IP addresses through the Mod CP, and then post a list of all of the shared accounts for the admins to go through and ban.

Another problem is that the staff just aren't very active during the evening. I know that Ixion and Vulgotha might log in for an hour but for the most part there aren't any staff members to moderate the forums during that time.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 03-16-2012 at 22:24.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Quote Originally Posted by -Kwesnoth- View Post
    How are bots getting around stuff such as this.
    Sometimes it's not a bot actually signing up. It's a person, registering accounts, and then letting the bot take over.
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    Regular members, more often than not, don't report them. But they're easy to spot. They have really random usernames, they'll parrot parts of other posts, and post the same random link in every post (although this only shows up in their post history). The current SMCs can also spot them from the main page (Currently Active Users list), run the IP addresses through the Mod CP, and then post a list of all of the shared accounts for the admins to go through and ban.

Another problem is that the staff just aren't very active during the evening. I know that Ixion and Vulgotha might log in for an hour but for the most part there aren't any staff members to moderate the forums during that time.
    Yes, activity is sometimes at a low point all times of the day.

Ultimate Veteran
    I don't know why people don't just report the spambots. Disliking their posts won't make them go away.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Forum Guru
    Items User name style
    Need for new staff again so soon?
    Vengeful is amazing<3

YouTube Editor
    Items Tommy VercettiUser name styleModern Warfare 3
    I banned A LOT back in the day. With IP banning multiple accounts can be closed/banned simultaneously. That list grows everyday. The SMC's were usually the ones who would point out the "Bot" accounts and by running an IP search multiple accounts could potentially be found. The only downside is only an Admin can add an IP to the master list, so therefore sometimes the process can take a bit of time. If we all work together as a community they can be dealt with rather easily. Remember just report them at first sight.

8 years and counting!

Thread Information