Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 29 111 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Man kills 17 year old Trayvon Martin, claims self defense

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504083_1...n-sanford-fla/

(CBS/AP) ORLANDO, Fla. - College students around Florida are rallying Monday to demand the arrest of a neighborhood watch captain who fatally shot unarmed teenager Trayvon Martin.

Photos: Trayvon Martin

Students rallied in front of the Seminole County criminal courts building in Sanford - the central Florida city where the shooting occurred - and on the campus of Florida A&M University in Tallahassee.

In the courts building is the State Attorney's Office, where prosecutors will review the case and decide whether to file criminal charges against George Zimmerman, the neighborhood watch volunteer who killed Martin on Feb. 26.

Demonstrators are demanding the arrest of the 28-year-old Zimmerman, who authorities say shot the teenager during a confrontation in a gated community. Zimmerman has claimed self-defense; Florida law allows a person to use deadly force if the person believes he or she is facing a deadly threat.

Critics say Martin was a victim of racial profiling, and they accuse police of coddling a wanna-be cop in Zimmerman. The shooter's father says his son is Hispanic, and not racist.

At 8:30 a.m. about three dozen protesters, dressed in black, were in place at the Sanford building. Some of the protesters carried posters, including one that said, "Justice 4 Trayvon." Another had a photo of Zimmerman and said, "Arrest Zimmerman today."

According to the Orlando Sentinel, the group began chanting, "Do I look suspicious?" and "Arrest Zimmerman now." At about 9:15 a .m. the group began singing, "We shall overcome."

The shooting of an unarmed black person, "is not acceptable," said Jason Reed, 25, an FAMU student. "There was a time when this was acceptable. That time is not now."

Monday's rally was organized by Florida members of the Black Law Students Association. Organizers said they hoped it would include students from Florida State University, Florida A&M University and the University of Central Florida.

"Public safety is at risk when citizens like Zimmerman are permitted to take the law into their own hands without being arrested or sufficiently questioned on record," the association said in a prepared statement.

At least two other rallies are scheduled later this week.

CNN reports community activists and pastors from across the country have called for people nationwide to descend on Sanford on Monday, March 26 for a march for justice, before the next city council meeting.
    Talk about not getting justice. First people could get away with crimes using the insanity defense, now it's the self defense claim. What's next? Is this a case of racial profiling?

Currently Playing: Pokemon X

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Oh ya i read about this. To me it didn't seem like self defense at all. Sad to think at the moment he is still free but the FBI is looking at it and they can press charges if they find sufficient evidence.

***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    The shooting of an unarmed black person, "is not acceptable," said Jason Reed, 25, an FAMU student. "There was a time when this was acceptable. That time is not now."
    Uh.. What?.

Super Elite
    Anyone have a link that shows more details? Being unarmed in no way removes someone from being a lethal threat but so little information comes from the link
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    The kid was unarmed and didn't show signs of hostility the hell? Self defense my ass man..smfh

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Elite Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnzy View Post
    Anyone have a link that shows more details? Being unarmed in no way removes someone from being a lethal threat but so little information comes from the link
    My thoughts exactly. There isn't enough here to make a concrete judgment. This guy very well could have been threatened and forced to use his weapon.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    Uh.. What?.
    I think you know what was mean't there.

I didn't know Hispanics couldn't be racist. Anyways, everything about this story stinks. This person will most likely get charged for something.

8. Likes Everyday wishes they had posted this first.
    Veteran
    Here's more information on the story for those who asked:
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...anted-cop.html

Forum Sage
    This guy will most likely do some time. From my understanding, neighborhood watch members are supposed to watch and report. I really didn't see any reason for him to use deadly force.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Stating someone cannot be racist due to that persons own race is infact racist.

12. Likes BBK.. wishes they had posted this first.
    Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    let's get some facts and not some writer's opinion

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

The Heisman
    I am 99% positive that if I fired a WARNING SHOT at an unarmed teenager with candy in his pockets... my ass would be in jail.

This guy killed the kid... after the he called the police and was told to leave it alone... and I don't think he even got cuffed?!

By Theft
    I am stunned that some people appear to love their Playstation(1,2,3) or Xbox(360) more than I love the Denver Broncos.
    Trust me, it's sad

Forum Sage
    If the teenager was a threat, what I fail to understand is how he could not manage him, when he is suppose to be the adult....

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Threat or not, you can't just shoot people that are unarmed. This guy is disgusting. When a police dispatcher tells you not to do anything, they know what they're talking about and you should listen. Hope bubba teaches him a lesson in prison

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    Azrael666
    Items DoomPlayStationDiablo IIIBlizzardDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Zimmermann - a traditional hispanic name?

Forum Guru
    There are quite a few troubling facts here. First with the Zimmerman guy...

First, the guy was told not to follow the "suspect." Not only did he follow him, he confronted and got into a physical altercation. Also, the guy had called the cops something like 50 times in the previous year, obviously trying to be some faux-police watch-dog. Also, from my understanding neighborhood watches always tell their members never to carry weapons, let alone get involved with suspects. Then, the guy was claiming the kid looked high or something, while he was the one who was slurring his speech on the phone.

Then, there's the cops. First, they didn't even test the shooter for drugs or alcohol, which I have read is standard in any homicide case. Also, they dismissed statements of some witnesses, and tried to steer/correct the statements of others. The shooter had previous arrests for assault and battery on an officer, while the kid who was shot had zero criminal history.

Everything about the story stinks, and I honestly can't believe the outcome so far.

19. Likes The Black Wolf wishes they had posted this first.
    Dedicated Member

As someone who has a handgun license and carries a 45 myself, this case stinks to high heaven.

Veteran
    The FBI is investigating the case now. Need a link? It's on MSN front page at this moment.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    As someone who has a handgun license and carries a 45 myself, this case stinks to high heaven.

You carry it around while at work or in the pub with mates?

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    CCW permits are issued by the state, so it’s a state issue, but most (think there may be a couple of exceptions) do not allow a carry into a “bar”, as defined by the locations use/serving/etc., of alcohol. Also doesn’t allow carrying in schools, public offices, football games, etc.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Forum Sage

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    I am 99% positive that if I fired a WARNING SHOT at an unarmed teenager with candy in his pockets... my ass would be in jail.

This guy killed the kid... after the he called the police and was told to leave it alone... and I don't think he even got cuffed?!
    This whole thing is sounding more and more like a hate crime.

Veteran
    Items Arsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by DayWalker View Post
    That depends, are you black? you're a liberal democrat so i'm going to assume you are

I think this dude needed to find a better hobby. I dont know if it was a hate crime, the guy sounded really calm when he called the police. I sounded to me like the case of some old man with deluded fantasies of being a crimebuster or a hero by stopping a criminal and ending up winding himself up too far and shooting some poor kid. Also i feel it would be doubt for the situation to result this way if the kid was white. But that doesn't mean I believe it to be a hate crime.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    That's kind of the point.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Existence420
    Im sorry to said this but they would make a movie of me if this happen to my child. cause i will kill him and all the punk ass cop that didn't nothing about. just call me the punisher 2
    "religion will put a man on his knees science put a man on the moon, nuff said"
    by someone i dont know.

Thread Information