Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Elite Guru

Survival horror market 'too small for Resident Evil' - Capcom

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...t-evil-capcom/

The core Resident Evil games' leaning towards action-focused gameplay in recent years is based on Capcom data suggesting the survival horror market's just not big enough to drive the sales figures the publisher wants.
    "Especially for the North American market, I think the series needs to head in that [action-oriented] direction," Resident Evil: Revelations producer Masachika Kawata told Gamasutra.
    "RE4 started in that direction, and RE5 kept going in that direction. And I think that especially for the North American market, we need to keep going in that direction, and take that a step further.
    "Looking at the marketing data [for survival horror games] ... the market is small, compared to the number of units Call of Duty and all those action games sell," Kawata reasoned. "A 'survival horror' Resident Evil doesn't seem like it'd be able to sell those kind of numbers."
    The producer also said there are opportunities for Capcom to explore purer survival horror gameplay outside of the numbered entries in the series, and did offer some hope to fans of the genre concerned about the direction of Resident Evil 6.
    "I can't really speak for Resident Evil 6, but I don't think that it necessarily has to go all the way in that [action-heavy] direction, the Call of Duty direction. It doesn't have to be a straight up shooter. But my impression is that Resident Evil 4 and 5 aren't shooters, per se.
    "So we have our numbered series, and we can say we have a more adventure-oriented version, like a Revelations-style game. And we also have Operation: Raccoon City, which is a third-person shooter.
    "So I think that by extending the market in this sense, we can still have the numbered titles keep their identity about what Resident Evil is supposed to be, but still expand and hit other markets as well."

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    ..so does that mean we're not gonna see anymore survival oriented resident evils in the future?

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Apprentice
    Seriously Capcom has strayed so bad from one of the games that mad ethem big. Playing Resident Evil 2 whe I was little ws one of my most terrifing moments in video game history that I will always keep in mind. Now, pssssshhhhh now they dont even give me a chill. And I still get scare at games (Dead Space) lol.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    RE died at 4 for me.

Elite Member
    Items AppleMetallicaCoD: World at War
    They're are plenty of action games out there. I want survival horror.

Elite Guru
    Sounds like a branch out. Who's interested in Resident Evil: Super Redfield Bros? I know I am!

Ultimate Veteran
    if capcom made the right Resident Evil game it will sell millions. this is just a lame excuse not to make a killer Resident Evil game

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    They're so obsessed with money now instead of making the games for the fun of it, they're gonna ruin the games that made them so popular

9. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Veteran
    It's a sad day when market research and not creativity dictate how games are made. I mean, doing some testing to fine tune mechanics is one thing, but eliminating a genre because it's not as profitable as another genre...

Veteran
    Items Battlefield 3ArsenalDark Souls
    If the survival horror consumer market has shrunk, it's because nobody makes survival horror games any more. And of those few that release, not many are very good.

Make a good game, people will buy it.

12. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post
    Elite Member

Bisoshock did pretty good.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Ultimate Veteran
    I'll just wait for the next Amnesia title to come out, then.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Dyack View Post
    Bisoshock did pretty good.

Bioshock isn't survival horror.

16. Likes Nuvian likes this post
    PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    As people have said, Capcom is just looking to milk the franchise for as much money as possible. Sure, they're a business, but they can still keep their integrity without selling out to the Call of Duty crowd.

These comments are just lazy and misinformed in my opinion. While I don't expect a return to the REmake style of gameplay, Capcom could easily craft a survival horror-driven Resident Evil game with a contemporary twist, i.e., using RE4's over-the-shoulder mechanics. The key thing is to incorporate all the staples of the genre; keep ammo low, tension high and have an emphasis on exploration and puzzle solving.

Dead Space has shown that survival horror can exist in a world populated by mainstream action games; the first game sold well, and the second did even better. Granted, the second was more action than survival horror, but it was still far and away more survival horror than any of the Resident Evil games have been as of late.

Resident Evil Revelations' Jill chapter demonstrates what Capcom is capable of if they put their mind to it. Just make a console game based around those concepts, with zombies instead of those ooze creatures, and i'm sure it would sell well and please a lot of fans.

Sure, i'd just prefer if they gave us a full blown classic RE game ala Resident Evil 2, but that won't happen. Who knows if it would sell in this day and age, i'm sure a budget release on PSN would prove quite popular (the PSone games sold well on PSN to my knowledge) but bottom line, they can still deliver.

Lastly, Capcom need to look at their fan base and realize people don't want Gears of Evil, they want a proper horror game. If they are going to dilute RE with more action then there's going to be nothing to differentiate it from its contemporaries.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Elite Member
    Sales of Resident Evil 6 will pave the way for the future of the series. If it sells 3-5 million worldwide in a month then Capcom will continue moving the franchise towards the Call of Duty/Gears of War direction. If not, then maybe they'll try to recapture the magic that made the series as popular as it is today.

Master Sage
    Items User name style
    But they cant even do action right in RE.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Bioshock isn't survival horror.
    It's admittedly a hybrid but some consider it to be survival horror. I won't split hairs with you though.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Dyack View Post
    It's admittedly a hybrid but some consider it to be survival horror. I won't split hairs with you though.

Most have seen it as a survival horror game, including me. Wiki also shows it as such.

"BioShock is a survival horror first-person shooter video game"

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BioShock

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Oh ok. Well this is what wiki says about survival horror.

Survival horror is a subgenre of action-adventure video games inspired by horror fiction. These games mostly involve making the player vulnerable by providing them with less ammunition and fewer heavy weapons than other action games. Although combat can be a part of the gameplay, the player is in various ways made to feel less powerful than in typical action games, because of limited ammunition, health, speed, or other limitations. The player is also challenged to find items that unlock the path to new areas, and solve puzzles at certain locations. Games make use of strong horror themes, and the player is often challenged to navigate dark maze-like environments, and react to unexpected attacks from enemies.
    I guess to me running around rapture with a wide range of weapons, the ability to incinerate your enemies and take over automated weapon turrets doesn't really make me feel less powerful then the typical foes i came across...

When I think survival horror, I think Resident Evil, Dead Space, and Silent Hill. All three of these games match those criteria. Returning to the mansion with 2 shotgun shells and three bullets left in your pistol when the hunters come, THAT'S survival horror in my mind...

But yeah, tis just splitting hairs.

Soldier 95B
    They could call it a racer for all I care. As long as it keeps being $#@!ing fun!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Ariakace55
    sounds typical. Capcom hasnt made a good Resident Evil game since Nemesis. 4 and 5 were complete abominations to the series. didnt get operation racoon city, wont get 6. Capcom is retarded.

"I came here to kick ass and chew bubble gum. Ive got a shitload of bubble gum"

Quote Originally Posted by Ariakace View Post
    sounds typical. Capcom hasnt made a good Resident Evil game since Nemesis. 4 and 5 were complete abominations to the series. didnt get operation racoon city, wont get 6. Capcom is retarded.
    I completely agree, except about Code Veronica X. That, imo, was the last good Resident Evil game.

Resident Evil 4 was tolerable the first playthrough, but every playthrough after I feel myself saying "Eurgh, THIS part/room/section/fight again?!".

Resident Evil 5 was tedious, had awful AI, Chris turned into a complete meathead moron, the story was awful, was a bad game.

Resident Evil 6 looks plain garbage.

26. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Oh ok. Well this is what wiki says about survival horror.

I guess to me running around rapture with a wide range of weapons, the ability to incinerate your enemies and take over automated weapon turrets doesn't really make me feel less powerful then the typical foes i came across...

When I think survival horror, I think Resident Evil, Dead Space, and Silent Hill. All three of these games match those criteria. Returning to the mansion with 2 shotgun shells and three bullets left in your pistol when the hunters come, THAT'S survival horror in my mind...

But yeah, tis just splitting hairs.
    Again, we disagree. It's not like a title has to match each and every aspect of how a genre is defined. Bioshock has about 85% of what your source defines a survival horror game.

I recall having some bad ass weapons and suit upgrades in Dead Space. I also recall scavaging for ammo in Bioshock and the environment was spot on for this genre.

I guess what opinions only count if you agree with them.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Resident Evil will sell wether it's a survival horror or a puzzle game. Means that it's all bull$#@! Capcom and you know it. $#@! you. I've lost all respect I had last gen towards them.
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by skynet212 View Post
    Seriously Capcom has strayed so bad from one of the games that mad ethem big. Playing Resident Evil 2 whe I was little ws one of my most terrifing moments in video game history that I will always keep in mind. Now, pssssshhhhh now they dont even give me a chill. And I still get scare at games (Dead Space) lol.
    that's crapcom for you

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Thread Information