Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023

Confirmed ! : Sony closes Zipper Interactive

Confirmed:
    Today has been a rough one for the games industry. Following massive layoffs at Segatoday, Sony has confirmed Zipper Interactive's closure after it was rumored last week.

In a statement given to Game Informer, a Sony representative stated the move was the "result of a normal cycle of resource re-alignment within SCE WWS." Though the studio has been shuttered, "Zipper titles MAG, SOCOM 4 and Unit 13 will continue to be supported, including the new Daily Challenges in Unit 13."

Source

Original Post:
    Zipper Interactive, a first-party Sony studio responsible for the creation of the SOCOMseries and PS3 shooter MAG, is in the process of being shut down, according toKotaku sources.Sony has repeatedly declined to comment on the matter to Kotaku this week, citing their policy not to discuss rumor or speculation.
    But we've heard chatter for several days that Zipper was in the process of being hit with layoffs and a project cancellation. The scope of the layoffs appears to indicate a studio shutdown.
    Zipper has been in the business since 1996, with fan favourites like Mechwarrior 3 andCrimson Skies to its name before it was bought by Sony in 2006 to focus on the console business. The studio's last game was third-person shooter Unit 13 for the PlayStation Vita.
    Once seen as one of Sony's most important studios, especially in the days of the PS2, Zipper has seen its titles struggle to find the same level of success in the PS3 era, with MAG never really catching on with players and the latest SOCOM title having the misfortune of being released right in the middle of 2011's great PS3 downtime.
    Without official confirmation, there is still the possibility that Zipper will remain open in a nominal fashion but the extent of layoffs that we're hearing about appears to indicate studio closure.
    We've again reached out to Sony for comment and will update this story if we hear back.
    source
    Last edited by Abdou23; 04-01-2012 at 00:03.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Already posted, use the search.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Extreme Poster
    Success!

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    the search function works?

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    lol

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Sad to see em go, but its not really a surprise.

Last decent game from them was SOCOM: Combined assault on PS2, SOCOm 4 wasnt even like a SOCOM game, Mag was okay.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    And that's what happens when you don't listen. I only feel sad since people are losing their jobs, however, on the other side I'm not since they threw a big "$#@! you" in my face taunting Hardcore players and spitting that garbage "This is mah game and Imma do me" attitude that they've shown me on their official boards. Serves you right $#@!suckas!

$Greatness$ Awaits™

8. Likes Hulious777 likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    Already posted, use the search.
    Well, i don't see other thread for it.
    Edit: Well i see it now at the discussion section. So...whatever.
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    And that's what happens when you don't listen. I only feel sad since people are losing their jobs, however, on the other side I'm not since they threw a big "$#@! you" in my face taunting Hardcore players and spitting that garbage "This is mah game and Imma do me" attitude that they've shown me on their official boards. Serves you right $#@!suckas!
    Does SONY just fire those people or does it give them jobs at other studios ?
    Last edited by Abdou23; 03-24-2012 at 06:19.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by funeralfog View Post
    the search function works?
    rofl
    3EYOND

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by $Greatness$ View Post
    man after that podcast with Seth Luisi about socom 4 saying "this is our game, we do not want to make a socom 1 or 2, this is a whole new experience"...man that $#@! broke my heart to hear. anyways they dug there own graves, time to lay in it. they should have played it safe and released something close to s2/combined assault, instead they wanted some of that call of duty pie. slant six downfall was sony not giving them enough budget/resources to make a decent game (confrontation >>> socom 4). then zipper that had all the resources went and released a turd!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Ill wait till its offical, thanks. From what I hear Unit 13 is a really good game.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    then zipper that had all the resources went and released a turd!
    twice too. don't forget the infamous MAG.

$#@!, all they needed was to clone SOCOM 2 and MAG would've been a huge success.

Soldier 95B
    Is Sony $#@!ing retarded? SOCOM 4 was my favorite of them all. I was hoping for some more 45 in SOCOM 5. I hope this rumor does not come true.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    twice too. don't forget the infamous MAG.

$#@!, all they needed was to clone SOCOM 2 and MAG would've been a huge success.
    Mag is awesome was looking forward to a sequel with more player's

Thank you itachi

Forum Sage

About time. Socalm was so freaking boring. MAG looked like utter poo too.

Soldier 95B
    Quote Originally Posted by Chille View Post
    Mag is awesome was looking forward to a sequel with more player's
    Yup, MAG is the shiznet as well. The best games from Zipper (IMO), and then they pull this.

Dedicated Member

I still feel that to make a lot of money to help save their asses, all they ever had to do was remake the former SOCOMs (1 maybe, or 2, and Combined Assault) in HD, make a few tweaks, and create some more servers. It was, after all what a lot of fans asked for forever. The only reason part 4 was different was for a simple reason. They (Sony), clearly said, "Make this title all about the Shapshooter and move". Furthermore, they also most certainly also said make it a bit for the casual gamer as well. Otherwise, Ican't possibly see why they would of changed it so much from a formula the fans loved. Oh, well. I hope someday they return to the roots or re-release the good old one! Sad news for sure.

Extreme Poster
    I don't feel sad because they knew what they did well and they strayed away from it. Good riddance I say. I waited years for their product and they had the audacity to throw that pos at us.

I personally feel now that they were lucky during the PS2 era...they didn't know they had a killer series at hand. Other than maps, they really didn't know how to make a game. Games out now completely obliterate SOCOM in every possible way...except well they did have the features, that's about it.

I'm tired of third person shooters anyway, all it's about is hiding behind walls and poking out to take pot shots, wtf is that lol. BF3 all the way until the next good game comes out. There's always counterstrike.

20. Likes !SG! likes this post
    Soldier 95B
    I have to disagree. They did well and brought the game forward. I think the biggest problem is that there is just too much competition in that space now. With the Battlefields, Call of Dutys, Gears of Wars, Resistances, Killzones, Medal of Honors...it really is getting lost in the sea of shooters. Going back to the old and dated recipe wasn't going to bring it back.

But this hasn't been confirmed by Sony yet, so I still hold out hopes for an S5.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Well, they can only blame themselves. They should have listened to their fans. I'm glad to see sony cut some of the fat. Now that's money they can spend elsewhere.
    Destiny is going to be EVERYTHING that EA and MS hoped titanfall would be

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Once again something new causes gamers to cry like little babies. Hopefully Zipper get a chance to release a HD collection.
    Honestly I really liked MAG and Special forces was good too.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I have to disagree. They did well and brought the game forward. I think the biggest problem is that there is just too much competition in that space now. With the Battlefields, Call of Dutys, Gears of Wars, Resistances, Killzones, Medal of Honors...it really is getting lost in the sea of shooters. Going back to the old and dated recipe wasn't going to bring it back.

But this hasn't been confirmed by Sony yet, so I still hold out hopes for an S5.
    They brought the game forward in very few fronts and took out almost all the features that made it amazing for core fans. Not even getting into gameplay, let's talk about the additional features that made it amazing:

1) Server list.

2) Custom rooms.

3) Dedicated servers.

4) Lobby messaging.

5) Server lobbies.

These are just the top of my head and 'til this day we still don't see all of these features combined in any console game out.

None of these features were in SOCOM 4.

Soldier 95B
    They brought the game forward in very few fronts and took out almost all the features that made it amazing for core fans. Not even getting into gameplay, let's talk about the additional features that made it amazing:

1) Server list.

2) Custom rooms.

3) Dedicated servers.

4) Lobby messaging.

5) Server lobbies.

These are just the top of my head and 'til this day we still don't see all of these features combined in any console game out.

None of these features were in SOCOM 4.
    I am the core fan though. In addition, I was talking gameplay, not feature specific.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I am the core fan though. In addition, I was talking gameplay, not feature specific.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    They completely changed the gameplay. It was a fast-paced shooter, they turned it into a slow-paced shooter. Previous SOCOM games required skill to shoot, this one almost entirely removed it.

They tried to incorporate cover but Rainbow Six from 2007 nailed it way better than Zipper did in 2011. Not only they kept the crosshairs intact when you were hiding (which is stupid and promotes camping), they actually gave you no penalty for shooting quickly by coming out of the cover and then back in a split second...you could literally get a headshot if your crosshairs were on the right spot. If you played R6: Vegas...you'll notice that coming out of the cover was slow and it took you a while for your crosshairs to come back to the origin, making it impossible to get a long-ranged shot within the first second. Vegas already did it well, so why not improve upon it? I mean, wasn't that their intent?

And then there's the stupid search system which I won't go in, nothing needs to be said about the worse game search system I've ever witnessed in my entire gaming life. It made me pull my hair out.

Those are vaguely some of the biggest changes they made, on top of the fact that almost all the maps were camp-fest because you could hide so easily, making it pretty much some other game that they decided to name SOCOM.

If there's nothing left feature-wise and gameplay-wise then why even call it that game?

Soldier 95B
    They completely changed the gameplay. It was a fast-paced shooter, they turned it into a slow-paced shooter. Previous SOCOM games required skill to shoot, this one almost entirely removed it.

They tried to incorporate cover but Rainbow Six from 2007 nailed it way better than Zipper did in 2011. Not only they kept the crosshairs intact when you were hiding (which is stupid and promotes camping), they actually gave you no penalty for shooting quickly by coming out of the cover and then back in a split second...you could literally get a headshot if your crosshairs were on the right spot. If you played R6: Vegas...you'll notice that coming out of the cover was slow and it took you a while for your crosshairs to come back to the origin, making it impossible to get a long-ranged shot within the first second. Vegas already did it well, so why not improve upon it? I mean, wasn't that their intent?

And then there's the stupid search system which I won't go in, nothing needs to be said about the worse game search system I've ever witnessed in my entire gaming life. It made me pull my hair out.

Those are vaguely some of the biggest changes they made, on top of the fact that almost all the maps were camp-fest because you could hide so easily, making it pretty much some other game that they decided to name SOCOM.

If there's nothing left feature-wise and gameplay-wise then why even call it that game?
    And I really love the gameplay change. I loved the old, but I love the new more. The previous gen SOCOMs required LESS skill to shoot, and was pretty much a spray and pray type of shooter. Great at the time, but clearly needed to evolve.

So many improvements, especially starting with the AI. We excellent, smart AI that is better than most shooters today. The AI didn't always follow the same path. While some did, some were on a random path. It was nice to see that it wasn't predictable at every corner. The online co-op with friends, again, something not seen in previous SOCOM's. I lost track at the number of endless nights I played online with friends and non-friends going through co-ops at different difficulties, different maps and random AI.

Weapon sounds, weapons accuracy, and weapon design was all substantially improved and just felt better. Using he weapons with the improved controls gave you a real sense of solid feel and feedback. The cover system was excellent, albeit the occasional "sticky" cover that gave issues when pulling away. Much of that was addressed in a subsequent patch. Directing squad mates and tagging enemies was satisfying, and your AI responded accordingly, with the exception of getting stuck on the occasional rock or bush. The maps are LARGE, and not just repeating environments. It allows for great team play, and works for each mode.

The team based aspect in this game hasn't been seen for quite some time this gen. Battlefield 3 and maybe Ghost Recon are up there with it, but SOCOM nails the team aspect. Along with the 32 player matches, the visuals don't seem to be affected by it. One of the better looking shooters on console today.

I haven't even touched everything, and I still have yet to praise the single player. SOCOM 4 is one of the better games this gen, and is better than previous SOCOM's by a long stretch. I guess as a core SOCOM player, I expected to be let down with a change, but now I have to say, I praise all the improvements, the great campaign, and solid game play.

Thread Information