Soldier 95B

Rumor: Stripped down Xbox planned for 2013

Rumors of a new Xbox have been swirling for quite some time now, though they are now taking a slightly different shape. The next Xbox hardware won't actually be a generational leap, according to anonymous blogger MS Nerd, posting on Reddit. Instead, the console will actually be a stripped down version of the current Xbox, which will concentrate on "Arcade-style games" and Kinect apps. This is apparently the same ARM-powered console that MS Nerd first discussed in November of last year. The device will be "price-competitive" with Apple TV and is apparently slated for a late 2013 launch.

Meanwhile, the "true successor" will launch sometime after with the same media apps and support for more core game experiences. Furthermore, the next generation of Kinect will supposedly launch sometime around 2015. At this point, keeping track of the next Xbox is becoming something of a chore, with estimates for a new launch ranging from late this year all the way out to 2014. For Microsoft's part, the company says there will be no talk of new Xbox hardware at this year's E3.
    http://www.joystiq.com/2012/03/26/ru...nned-for-2013/

I need to get two more Xboxes for streaming TV apps to add to my current lot. I would indeed pick up a couple of these bad boys.

2. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That would be cool if MS did this. Put more core games focus on the 360 and the nextbox and use this stripped down sku to cater to the casuals.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    I guess this might sell in America where you actually have some decent TV services but here elsewhere. Nope.

I picked up a WD TV Live for the bedroom, does all the stuff I need it to.

Master Poster
    I don't think so...

6. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Wow that will actually be a more or less 10 year lifespan. I'm bored with this gen bar maybe 1 or 2 games a year.
    WII FRIEND CODE = 5509 0447 7406 7959

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    or god sake, another small xbox

I am so sick and tired of another new xbox
    Last edited by claud3; 03-30-2012 at 19:29.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

9. Likes The Cage likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    there is no reason why MS will do this. they can make the cheaper 360 they have now 99 dollars at any time they want,
    and why change the chip this would rise costs

11. Likes The Cage likes this post
    Forum Sage
    I'm going to call this BS.

Microsoft can easily drop the price of the 360 to $249.99/$149.99 this year.

13. Likes The Cage likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    This makes sense for them. They concentrate all their time and money on the CasualBox 180 (nice catchy name... ) while 3rd parties continue pumping core games to the 360.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    This makes sense for them. They concentrate all their time and money on the CasualBox 180 (nice catchy name... ) while 3rd parties continue pumping core games to the 360.
    The CasualBox 180. Good name. lol

Apprentice
    After the recent studies I can see this thing selling VERY well if they price it well.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Its not worth it... Just the simple fact, that when the next gen comes out

Will they do the same with that, a stripped down 720

Its an excuse to get more money out of us and i am sicke and tired of this gen, because all they have done is bring out console after console of the same console for more and in little attempts less money. Its going to be a complete no no for me and i hope it well. But

WHY WHY WHY
    Last edited by claud3; 03-30-2012 at 19:34.
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Master Poster

Didn't Microsoft have some contract with tv providers to use a console for set top box use?

Anyways I could see it being marketed as a home entertainment box with Hulu,Vudu,Zune,Xfinity ect all over the box, it has value solely as a streaming box.

For more traditional gamers I would bet you could use and download games on demand and XBLA titles.

and it could be of use for htpc users and windows media center extender, streaming content and tv to other rooms in their house.

if it was under 100 I would buy one..

19. Likes The Cage, claud3 likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    They want t o directly compete with Apple TV,and by releasing this device they will draw non-gamers to it.They want to expand their market.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

21. Likes The Cage, claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I feel its still a bad move, but what do we know we are just gamers

Soldier 95B
    This is a great move if true.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    well others have their opinions on this i have mine

Look they will not compete with the Apple Media Box, because look at the figurers... In America around 50% of people own 1 to near all Apple Tech and Microsoft is Losing its foot hole as the top dog of tech.
    Last edited by claud3; 03-31-2012 at 17:53.

Soldier 95B
    They are already beating out the Apple TV box. So I agree, they won't compete...they surpassed them long ago.

26. Likes The Cage, claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    But that will change soon rather than later... Its already happening

I in my opinion do not see the investment in this box of nothing new

Soldier 95B
    The only changes is that the Xbox keeps growing above and beyond the Apple TV. There are 3 million AppleTV's to about 70 million Xbox 360's. They are NOT going to catch them, lol.

29. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Ok i agree, but i believe what i believe and that is this will fail and i just will not be getting one. Because i love gaming and the XBOX 360 can do most of the stuff already with out modding it

Super Elite
    Items Microsoft LogoApple
    I really like this idea. And can see it happening.

It does not take a genius to figure out Microsoft are 'copying' or/and following the Apple 'model' which is no bad thing since they also have strong assets (i.e. software/user-interface skills) to pull of this strategy.

I am still (along with others) searching for that all-in-one multi-media box that can sit under my TV.

Apple TV has the hardware design advantage (lovely looking device) along with iTunes and iOS device integration advantage, PS3 the Blu-ray advantage along with strong first-party games output and the 360 has the user-interface advantage (love the Metro UI) along with Xbox Live Arcade advantage (in my opinion of course).

No system is however perfect (yet) and the clear number one choice.

But I think the so-called 'living-room battle' will be fought between these three. Of course no-one saw Apple entering into this 'battle' when the PS3/360 launched but the fact is they are right in there now.

Good stuff.

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    The only problem with this idea is that developers will move onto next-gen hardware. The current gen consoles will lose support.

Master Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by Wasib View Post
    I really like this idea. And can see it happening.

It does not take a genius to figure out Microsoft are 'copying' or/and following the Apple 'model' which is no bad thing since they also have strong assets (i.e. software/user-interface skills) to pull of this strategy.

I am still (along with others) searching for that all-in-one multi-media box that can sit under my TV.

Apple TV has the hardware design advantage (lovely looking device) along with iTunes and iOS device integration advantage, PS3 the Blu-ray advantage along with strong first-party games output and the 360 has the user-interface advantage (love the Metro UI) along with Xbox Live Arcade advantage (in my opinion of course).

No system is however perfect (yet) and the clear number one choice.

But I think the so-called 'living-room battle' will be fought between these three. Of course no-one saw Apple entering into this 'battle' when the PS3/360 launched but the fact is they are right in there now.

Good stuff.
    Apple TV only has iOS device integration as an advantage over a stripped down xbox. Unless you mean you can purchase music on the Apple TV box. There are number of media centers and streamers that work well including plex. Then again, if you already have a receiver with built in iOS integration, then you are set there. I've also used a plugin for airplay in windows media center. I don't know if the xbox 360 could use the plugin or not, but since its a true media extender I would think it might be able to. I don't have one to test it out.

If there was a $100 xbox which is basically a roku, Apple tv, or wd tv, I might buy one for the media extender capabilities.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Thread Information