Latest PSU headlines:

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023

I Am Alive. My Review

Disaster ! Massive earthquakes have ruined our life.Buildings falling and dust is everywhere.The Earth is not as we know it any more.Get ready for some deep experience different from anything you encountered before.

You play as someone who is looking for his wife and daughter through the ruins of their city.During your search you will encounter several challenges,some will be how to climb a high building and reach the top before your body gets fatigued,breathing becomes difficult and your hands finally give up and let go,and others when you will encounter other human beings,some will need your help,some will stay away from you if you stayed away from them,and some will do anything to protect themselves and gain possession of any survival material you have.

Some can mistake this game for a survival-horror,it's not,it's just survival but it also has some creepy moments.The major thing that makes this game different from any other is the STAMINA gauge.Whether you climb a building,running or just walking in the dust you will always consume stamina.Thanks for that for the first time in video games going from point A to point B is a challenge by itself.it's not the matter of finding the right direction any more,you also need to keep an eye on your stamina,figuring out the next step fast and sometimes even facing a group of hostile thugs.
    You gather 4 types of resources you find lying here and there.Some will re-fill your stamina,some will re-fill your health ( or both ) some are equipments and some are ammunition.

Climbing in this game is neither good or bad it's very similar to what you experienced in other games like Uncharted.But combat is a little different,keep in mind that this is a survival game literally,so you will be limited on bullets resources and even retries.When you encounter a group of thugs most of the time especially during the first half of the game you will always have a number of bullets less than the number of people attacking you which is usually 3 or 4,so you will need to think very carefully before you start firing,you need to forget your trigger-happy fantasies while playing this game.When you encounter enemies first thing you need to do is aiming your gun at them.They will instantly hold and raise there hands while telling you to calm and such,by pressing the action button you can order them to back a little which will give you small period of time to come up with a strategy on who to take them out,but keep in mind that there are different kinds of enemies,some will shoot at you no matter what and some will act as if they backing but will surprise you with a sneaking hit,so don't ever lower your gun or give them your back,and even if you are out of bullets you can still aim at them but it will only be few seconds before they figure out it's empty and decide to go for it.

You reach checkpoints very often but saving the game only happens when you complete your task,you have a limited number of retries and if you ran out you will have to restart from last save point which can be about 10-15 minutes,but you can get more retries by helping people or find them in the world.You can help people by giving them specific type of resourced and helping people will reward you with retries and sometimes they will give you some information about something or someone you looking for.

There are however some hiccups of course it's not all perfect,for instance one time i got shot and died by an enemy when i restarted and went back for him i successfully killed him before he fires at me,but when i picked up his gone i found it empty which doesn't make an sense.Also sometimes when you go near survivors you will trigger a conversation when you go away and right back the same conversation will be repeated as it's the first time they see you.But those are not by any means a deal breaker they are just a couple of things that worth mentioning.

The game is very short i personally completed it in 4:45 minutes and i wasn't rushing it at all.The story isn't that appealing and the characters even the protagonist aren't interesting at all.Graphics is dated and gameplay mechanics aren't that bad at all.

Conclusion:
    If you like the post-apocalyptic survival style and you are looking for something new and different,challenging but not frustrating or even looking for some deep experience other than the so-called cinematic experience,putting aside the fact that this game have been in development for 4 years and considering it a 15$ 1.8GB downloadable game then you should check this out immediately.Personally i'm looking forward to an improved sequel for this.

UpsNew approach for the survival style.
    different and new experience for a reasonable price.
    The satisfaction of overcoming challenges.

DownsWeak story.
    Short.
    Dated graphics

Overall Score:
    7/10

Last edited by Abdou23; 03-27-2012 at 20:55.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Forum Guru
    I personally think "short" is not a bad thing for games, and "long" is not a good thing either. They're just lengths. Just like short stories are not worse than longer stories. Short films are not worse than long films. And long novels are not better than short novels.

A good game is a good game, a bad game is a bad game. Length has nothing to do with anything.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrtchng View Post
    I personally think "short" is not a bad thing for games, and "long" is not a good thing either. They're just lengths. Just like short stories are not worse than longer stories. Short films are not worse than long films. And long novels are not better than short novels.

A good game is a good game, a bad game is a bad game. Length has nothing to do with anything.
    I agree,but when it comes to this specific game you will feel that it's very short.

Apprentice

lol I thought you said you completed it in 4 minutes and 45 seconds. i was thinking there is no way I am paying 15 bucks for four minutes lol.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rbrtchng View Post

Couldnt disagree more. Length has a lot to do with it. Don't listen to what your gf tells you.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by billm0066 View Post
    Couldnt disagree more. Length has a lot to do with it. Don't listen to what your gf tells you.

On topic i think the reasonable length for a Downloadable game is 6-10 with a finished story.And 12-20 for linear or semi open world ( aka Arkham City ) full priced games.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Abdou23 View Post
    I agree,but when it comes to this specific game you will feel that it's very short.
    Then the critique isn't that it's short, it's that it's incomplete.

Power Member
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Kind of a little gutted with this game, I remember it first being leaked a few years back and it had the potential to be awesome.

Alsmost like them making it a downloadable game has taken away some of their desire to make it a full blown game.

Apprentice

I think its really fun. I must play slow or something...I'm at about 6 or 7 hours now and I'm not finished. I must be close to the end, but I'm still going.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    i really thought it would be a "full" game, but nonetheless, you r review has peaked my interest. maybe when it's cheaper

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    @op, you completed the game in 4:45 minutes? lol. **** that. hahah.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    @op, you completed the game in 4:45 minutes? lol. **** that. hahah.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2
    It's 4 hours and 45 minutes because people can get confused,My Bad.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm hoping this goes on sale. I'll buy it for 10 or less. Only 5 buck difference but I'm being stingy lol.

Apprentice

OK, finally finished last night after an addditional half hour play (I was closer to the end than I thought), so in my own case it took roughly 6 1/2 to 7 1/2 hours all told for my first playthrough. Considering that I enjoyed the game I think this makes it worth it. Some full length games only clock in at 6 hours so this is not bad for $15.

Asset Manager
    PSN ID
    avecha
    Items Lightning
    Does anyone know why i cant access this in the store anymore?

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    I loved this game. I thought the length was fine, even though it does feel like the first episode of a multi-part game. I also think it's a good primer for the upcoming "The Last Of Us".

Shut up and play games

Apprentice
    It's something different and I can only commend them for that. Haven't played it myself to be honest, only seen the footage.
    I love to write about PlayStation and publish it here: PlayStationOrb

Thread Information