Page 1 of 6 1 ... LastLast

Hybrid View

Elite Guru

*RUMOR* PS4 is called Orbis, launching late 2013 - report

http://www.computerandvideogames.com...e-2013-report/

Console 'won't offer backwards compatibility, will feature anti-used games measures'PlayStation 4 is called - or codenamed - Orbis and is set for a release in time for the 2013 holiday season.

That's according to "a reliable" Kotaku source, who told the site the console's specs will consist of an AMD x64 CPU and an AMD Southern Islands GPU, which will apparently be capable of displaying games at a resolution of up to 4096x2160, and playing 3D games in 1080p.The site was also informed that Sony doesn't intend to offer any backwards compatibility with PS3 games, and that PS4 will feature inbuilt anti-used games measures. Games are expected to be available on Blu-ray disc or digitally, and will likely be locked to a PSN account that requires players to be online to boot them up. Second-hand buyers would have to pay an unlock fee to access the full game content. Similar claims were made about the next-gen Xbox earlier this year.
    Select studios have reportedly been receiving PS4 dev kits since the beginning of the year, with more finalised units set to arrive towards the end of 2012.
    Forbes also claimed in February that Sony's as yet unannounced next-generation console will use a graphics chip provided by AMD.
    Around the same time, US PlayStation boss Jack Tretton played down the chances of Sony launching PS4 any time soon.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If thats true about the anti-used games measures I wont be buying the PS4 or the next Xbox.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    hope this rumor isn't true no bc and anti-used game measures forget that man

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Quote Originally Posted by zzKurozz View Post
    hope this rumor isn't true no bc and anti-used game measures forget that man
    Agreed. I could deal with no BC, but if the anti-game measures thing happens, then things will be getting a bit ridiculous. Sometimes my internet goes out and I want to enjoy a single player game that doesn't require online. But we'll see where this all goes.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir_Scud View Post
    Agreed. I could deal with no BC, but if the anti-game measures thing happens, then things will be getting a bit ridiculous. Sometimes my internet goes out and I want to enjoy a single player game that doesn't require online. But we'll see where this all goes.
    Right it's ridiculous to have to be online to play a game some people don't even go online and just want to play the game they really need to think things through on this we'll see
    Last edited by Kuro; 03-28-2012 at 17:28.

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Soldier 95B
    Online access only or anti-used game features won't bother me in the least. PS4 is day one for me.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Online access only or anti-used game features won't bother me in the least. PS4 is day one for me.
    I see you're spinning up again.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Elite Member
    Items BowserDoom
    People are too quick to jump in the wagon. Let's wait and see first if the anti-used game is true, and then if true wait on the details.
    If true, chances are the prices will balance out because for people to be able to sell their used games now they'll have to sell them at a cheaper price, so from a customer point of view it would balance out and we would end up paying about the same... this is of course also speculation on my part, that's why we should wait and see.

I'm lucky enough to go to E3 this year =)
    So if there is a PS4 reveal hopefully it happens there even though they have said it won't happen. It will be interesting to see what happens; if Sony really doesn't want to be beaten to the punch by MS again then it's very likely one of them (or both) will reveal something at E3 this year.
    Thou shall not question my lame sig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by mikeghtmare View Post
    People are too quick to jump in the wagon. Let's wait and see first if the anti-used game is true, and then if true wait on the details.
    If true, chances are the prices will balance out because for people to be able to sell their used games now they'll have to sell them at a cheaper price, so from a customer point of view it would balance out and we would end up paying about the same... this is of course also speculation on my part, that's why we should wait and see.

I'm lucky enough to go to E3 this year =)
    So if there is a PS4 reveal hopefully it happens there even though they have said it won't happen. It will be interesting to see what happens; if Sony really doesn't want to be beaten to the punch by MS again then it's very likely one of them (or both) will reveal something at E3 this year.
    May i ask how did you manage to get tickets for E3? O.o

Elite Member
    Items BowserDoom
    Quote Originally Posted by Stingraysito View Post
    May i ask how did you manage to get tickets for E3? O.o
    I work at Directv, and as an entertainment company turns out I qualify =)
    I haven't got the pass yet, but I've got the confirmation already
    Thou shall not question my lame sig
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Quote Originally Posted by mikeghtmare View Post
    I work at Directv, and as an entertainment company turns out I qualify =)
    I haven't got the pass yet, but I've got the confirmation already
    Nice

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    I think it's bs. More rumors that come out of thin air from "reliable sources" that don't exist.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Got a PS3 and don't buy used games...bring this on.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Master Poster
    Items VitaLiverpool360 SlimPS3 FatGoogle Chrome
    Just like EVERY rumour, its probably not true.

If true I hope that we can test before we buy EVERY SINGLE game in the future if pre owned games cannot be brought, i dont want to pay money for something i might not like.

That resolution seems a bit over the top. What is wrong with 1080p with every game running at 60 FPS? Just makes it sound more BS, unless SONY again think that a console is worth over $600 and people will pay for it.
    Last edited by LfCpS3; 03-28-2012 at 18:09.

PSU Editorial Assistant
    PSN ID
    Diablo_Rosso
    Items User name styleManchester UnitedPlayStation
    I highly doubt this is true.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    Skinnyjr
    Man, I would have wanted another nvidia card. I can still live with since I don't buy use games!

Veteran
    Oh good grief! This is Kraptaku recycling another really old turd from Charlie Demerjian (seriously, after 6 years of the combination of Charlie Demerjian and Kraptaku, ppl still eat this $#@! up?). I am not going to give old doofus Charlie site clicks by providing the url but this is from March 2:

Sony Playstation 4 will be an x86 CPU with an AMD GPU
    But that is only the beginning of the story

Mar 2, 2012
    The bizarre aspect of this delusional hallucination is that it was being used by Charlie to claim it was the next Xbox, in the middle of last year and that got transmogrified into a Xbox 720 reveal at CES 2012 -- which didn't happen.

The real mystery is why so many fools in the "game jounalism" field eat up Demerjian's delusions, year after year after year. If you actually read his articles, there is virtually almost no fact and the body of it is him just making stuff up, therefore it must be real. "game journalists" should start going to the state nut houses for "news", there is a lot of site click material there.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Bligmerk View Post
    Oh good grief! This is Kraptaku recycling another really old turd from Charlie Demerjian (seriously, after 6 years of the combination of Charlie Demerjian and Kraptaku, ppl still eat this $#@! up?). I am not going to give old doofus Charlie site clicks by providing the url but this is from March 2: The bizarre aspect of this delusional hallucination is that it was being used by Charlie to claim it was the next Xbox, in the middle of last year and that got transmogrified into a Xbox 720 reveal at CES 2012 -- which didn't happen. The real mystery is why so many fools in the "game jounalism" field eat up Demerjian's delusions, year after year after year. If you actually read his articles, there is virtually almost no fact and the body of it is him just making stuff up, therefore it must be real. "game journalists" should start going to the state nut houses for "news", there is a lot of site click material there.
    Thanks for shedding some light on this. Wish I could rep you again.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Lol an AMD CPU? Why would Sony do this?

I don't buy this for a second. If they had said a PowerPC CPU, I'd be more inclined to agree. I'd even be slightly dubious at the inclusion of an Intel CPU..

But AMD? They're lagging behind massively. Nothing amazing about any of their latest CPU's.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    I am tagging this *rumor* (read as BULL$#@!)

It is all unsubstantiated, but the whole things reeks of hit fishing for journalism
    LMAO

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Why would sony all of a sudden use an AMD CPU in their next console? Not gonna happen. And if it ever does it will be a just like the PC in a box that you can never upgrade!!

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by brebaz View Post
    Why would sony all of a sudden use an AMD CPU in their next console? Not gonna happen. And if it ever does it will be a just like the PC in a box that you can never upgrade!!

Cost could be one issue if true. AMD would likely be a budget alternative to gain the specs they are targeting. AMD may be lower end CPU's, but likely they are just fine for consoles.
    LMAO

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Cost could be one issue if true. AMD would likely be a budget alternative to gain the specs they are targeting. AMD may be lower end CPU's, but likely they are just fine for consoles.
    I really doubt it.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    I doubt it's anything like that. Sony bough back the cell fabrication from Toshiba for a reason, or they might as well throw almost $1billion for no reason!

Superior Member
    PSN ID
    zex494
    The AMD specs could be true,Sony has been know to use it in a lot of their VAIOS
    I had no intentions of becoming a leader. It is as a warrior how I shall be remembered, but these are hardly numbers worth dying for.
    -Zechs Merquise

Thread Information