Latest PSU headlines:

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec

someone used my email address to create a facebook account

I have been checking some of my old email addresses, and I have found that someone has used one of them to create a facebook account.

it says the account was created on the 25th Feb 2012, so I'm sure it wasn't me, as the last time I checked it was quite a while before that.

I don't know how (if at all) they managed to validate it, unless they figured out my yahoo address password, which would be impressive seeing as it was mostly random numbers & letters.

the first thing I did, was send a reset password request to my account, then logged in and changed the password to the facebook account, followed by changing the password to my email account.

seeing as the account was created using my email address, and assuming they didn't actually validate it, what would be the legal grounds for either taking over the facebook account, or deleting it altogether? I had noticed that whoever it was (same surname as mine, but different first name), had used my email address to sign up to some other sites, not all of them being reputable.

personally, I don't really care for facebook, but I did try to create one a few weeks ago to view pics my sister had uploaded of my nephew to her account. I gave up on that idea when I found out I was required to supply a mobile phone number.

would there be any legal implications to taking over an account that was created using my email address, or just going ahead to delete it altogether?
    Don't waste your words I don't need anything from you.
    I don't care where you've been or what you plan to do.
    I am the resurrection and I am the light.
    I couldn't ever bring myself to hate you as I'd like.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Surebrec View Post
    I have been checking some of my old email addresses, and I have found that someone has used one of them to create a facebook account.

it says the account was created on the 25th Feb 2012, so I'm sure it wasn't me, as the last time I checked it was quite a while before that.

I don't know how (if at all) they managed to validate it, unless they figured out my yahoo address password, which would be impressive seeing as it was mostly random numbers & letters.

the first thing I did, was send a reset password request to my account, then logged in and changed the password to the facebook account, followed by changing the password to my email account.

seeing as the account was created using my email address, and assuming they didn't actually validate it, what would be the legal grounds for either taking over the facebook account, or deleting it altogether? I had noticed that whoever it was (same surname as mine, but different first name), had used my email address to sign up to some other sites, not all of them being reputable.

personally, I don't really care for facebook, but I did try to create one a few weeks ago to view pics my sister had uploaded of my nephew to her account. I gave up on that idea when I found out I was required to supply a mobile phone number.

would there be any legal implications to taking over an account that was created using my email address, or just going ahead to delete it altogether?
    No there wouldn't. You can always write Facebook an email and let them know, though. (Though I doubt anyone would do that)

Oh and by the way, the mobile number is not a necessity.
    You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    it was the last time I tried to create one.

thanks for the advice

Apprentice
    Items VitaPS3 Slim
    Just close the Facebook account then change your email password.

Problem solved.

Quote Originally Posted by Surebrec View Post
    it was the last time I tried to create one.

thanks for the advice
    Just use a random number like 123 321 1212.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'd take over the account, deactivate it. File a police report just in case anything else out of the ordinary pops up. Done.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Surebrec
    Quote Originally Posted by EatSleepAndPlay View Post
    Just close the Facebook account then change your email password.

Problem solved.

Just use a random number like 123 321 1212.
    I already changed all my passwords and security info, and right now I'm between 2 minds as to whether or not I'll keep it. I'll hold onto it for a few days, if I get emails popping up telling me someone is requesting a new password, I'm going to deactivate it.

as for the mobile number, it didn't really work like that, it was for verification purposes. you had to enter a valid number to receive a text massage with the confirmation code to proceed.

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I'd take over the account, deactivate it. File a police report just in case anything else out of the ordinary pops up. Done.
    I have already taken control of it, and as I said, I'll wait a few days to see what happens before I make a decision. as for filing a police report, it's not really worth it. it was just an old yahoo address that I rarely use. looking through the account settings, I think some clueless kid somewhere has tried to create a facebook account, and has just put what he thought was a random email address in to complete the signup, not knowing it was a legitimate address.

I'm hoping the worst case scenario is that whoever it was, realises that when signing up to something, sometimes it pays to put a valid address in if you want to keep your account active and not risk losing it.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Someone used my email (current one) to book some flight tickets lol
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Thread Information