Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Capcom sees 'no distinction' between on-disc and off-disc DLC

Some consumers were particularly riled by Capcom's decision to lock Street Fighter X Tekken downloadable content directly on the disc itself. Some were riled enough to file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, with Cinema Blend posting a response from Capcom reportedly received by several consumers. Capcom's statement defends the practice, noting that the company is sorry for customers that feel disappointed, though it adds that the game includes "an enormous amount of content" out of the box.

As for the DLC itself, the statement echoes Capcom's previous remarks, saying that the on-disc content "will provide more flexible and efficient gameplay throughout the game's lifecycle." The statement adds that the only difference between on-disc and off-disc DLC is delivery method, with Capcom nothing there is "effectively no distinction" between them.

For what it's worth, Capcom has closed 10 complaints with the BBB over the last 12 months, six of those coming since March 27, after the launch of Street Fighter X Tekken.
    Source
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    The fact that it's locked on the disc pretty much means that you are paying for it twice in effect. That's how I look at it anyways.

3. Likes John25 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    How do you download content thats already included on the disc.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Would everyone rather they make you download it from the PS Store so you have to wait for it to download? This is a much faster way for them to sell DLC. It was never going to be part of the retail disc. All the complaining will only make Capcom make you download the full DLC from the PS Store instead of a simple 100kb unlock key.

Personally, I would rather download a 100kb key instead of waiting for the full DLC to download. Either way, it was always meant to be DLC.

6. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Would everyone rather they make you download it from the PS Store so you have to wait for it to download? This is a much faster way for them to sell DLC. It was never going to be part of the retail disc. All the complaining will only make Capcom make you download the full DLC from the PS Store instead of a simple 100kb unlock key.

Personally, I would rather download a 100kb key instead of waiting for the full DLC to download. Either way, it was always meant to be DLC.
    But if the content is finished, why is it locked? Devs often say that DLC happens cause they have dead lines to meet and they have to prioritise what they work on and what gets shelved for later. DLC on the disc is content that has been worked on and finished, so should be part of the retail game. It's just disgusting money grabbing imho. DLC should be additional content worked on after the game goes gold,not content locked on the disc...

Elite Guru
    Cap-con may not see a distinction but they need to open their eyes and see that customers do.

Arguably, they're cutting content from a game, locking it out as DLC on disc and escaping any costs borne from using the network.

Are consumers seeing any benefit from any lowered overheads? I doubt it.

9. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran

I would rather they not lock it at all and simply include it as part of the full-retail product. I can understand if you finish development on a game, ship it to be sold to consumers, and then work a couple months on some new episodic content, but to purposefully lock it within the game is unnecessary. It benefits the publisher more than it does the consumer.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-03-2012 at 20:25.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

11. Likes VayMasters86 likes this post
    PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    if its on the disc, you shouldnt have to pay more for it later :/

Sig&Av by Kuro

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4
    DragonAge3DWitcher3Order1886Uncharted4Batman:AKDyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

13. Likes John25 , VayMasters86 likes this post
    Forum Guru
    The difference between on and off disk DLC is that when it's on the disk, the fraud is just too blatant. When it's off the disk, at least you can pretend that it's not content that you pulled from the game to charge people extra money.

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Well Capcom, I don't see the difference between buying new and used. Go figure!
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    They did this with resident evil 6 multiplayer. Basically the content is the but blocked. You then bu and download something from psn that unlocks it. Super annoying really.

Sent from my AT100 using Tapatalk

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    But if the content is finished, why is it locked?
    If we use your analogy then why do we even have to pay for DLC at all then? DLC is chosen to be DLC before the game ships. It does not matter if it is finished or not. It is a way to bring in more money since games are taking longer to make and the prices are staying the same. Capcom does not make but $7-$10 per game sold.

In the end it evens itself out. I know games are getting bigger and are taking more man hours to create. Developers and Publishers have to pay more money for a game that will sell for the same price as another game that took half the time to make.

18. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    What a load of crap. If you're gonna have the time to put it on the disc, it should already be included. Is the DLC just new characters?
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Capcom just needs to learn... Lethal you make some good points. DLC does usually need to be planned before the game is finished... but I feel that if they complete it,,, and its on the disk its not really DLC at all its just a cashgrab. Paying for it or not why should we have to wait months to play as a character when the data is complete and on the disk

21. Likes 33x , Lebowski , Two4DaMoney , Thorzilla likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    imagine buying a car, then to be able to use the brakes you have to unlock it by buying a special unlock code. horse$#@!!

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Which is one of the reasons why I don't support capcom anymore.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

Ancient
    I think what's more annoying is the delayed release( what exactly are we waiting for? It's on the disc) and then the price
    I think people wouldn't be as pissed if the stuff was optional day one unlocks for cheap, in stead of staggered released expensive unlocks.

Sent from my Xperia Ray

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    imagine buying a car, then to be able to use the brakes you have to unlock it by buying a special unlock code. horse$#@!!

That is the worst example I have ever heard lol.

If you want to use a car as an example then it would be equivalent to the car not having tinted windows when you first bought it.

Or having satellite radio but you have to pay to use the satellite radio. Same with Northstar. Oh wait..
    Last edited by Lethal; 04-04-2012 at 01:37.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Equinoqs
    Items Big BossFinal Fantasy XIILBP NarikoDemons Souls Cover
    If it's on the disc then it's not DLC, it is paid-for content held for additional ransom.

Shut up and play games

27. Likes Thorzilla likes this post
    Forum Sage

If you want to use a car as an example then it would be equivalent to the car not having tinted windows when you first bought it.

Or having satellite radio but you have to pay to use the satellite radio. Same with Northstar. Oh wait..
    I liken it more to installing the rev-limiter where you have to go out and purchase parts to unlock the full potential of the stock engine. Either way, it's a compound payment on the consumer's end.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Quote Originally Posted by Morganator View Post
    I liken it more to installing the rev-limiter where you have to go out and purchase parts to unlock the full potential of the stock engine. Either way, it's a compound payment on the consumer's end.
    lol I like that example better.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover

lol shut up, it's just as stupid. FINE, it's like buying a console and having to buy add-ons for HDMI and MP usage

or buying a russian wife, then having to pay extra for her to have a $#@!...
    Last edited by Funeralfog; 04-04-2012 at 01:56.

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

31. Likes Beast of Bourbon likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    DLC used to be created after a game was released. At least for consoles. Look at COD4. We were waiting forever and a day for the Maps and then we got them later down the line. Now, Maps are already made beforehand and chosen as DLC. None of this stuff is post-game release work anymore. That's why everyone (Including myself) is in an uproar. These $#@!ty 2 hour games along with the continuing of the money grab will drive me away from gaming. If some of the rumors are true about Next-Gen gaming, then the PS3 and Xbox 360 are my last consoles.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    lol I like that example better.
    How about this example?
    You buy Resident Evil 7 which ends in a huge cliffhanger, and then a prompt shows up saying "To see full ending you have to pay 2 bucks" and that will download very small file that unlocks that content on the disc.
    I know this sounds extreme, but nothing is impossible, no matter how stupid it may sound.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Its like being $#@!ed upthe arse after paying to $#@! someone up their arse.

35. Likes Lebowski likes this post

Thread Information