Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    SONY still has a ton of studios. Crazy.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    The list is as follows (but I suggest you check the link)

Evolution Studios
    Located: Cheshire, United Kingdom
    Founded: 1999
    Purchased by Sony: 2007
    What They've Done: WRC Series (2001-2005), MotorStorm Series (2007-2012)
    What They're Doing: Unknown

Guerilla Games

Located: Amsterdam, Netherlands
    Founded: 2000 (as Lost Boys Games)
    Purchased by Sony: 2005
    What They've Done: Killzone Series (2004-2011)
    What They're Doing: Killzone 4, New IP

Media Molecule

Located: Surrey, United Kingdom
    Founded: 2006
    Purchased by Sony: 2010
    What They've Done: LittleBigPlanet Series (2008-2011)

Naughty Dog

Located: California, USA
    Founded: 1986 (as Jam Software)
    Purchased by Sony: 2001
    What They've Done: Crash Bandicoot Series (1996-1999), Jak and Daxter Series (2001-2005), Uncharted Series (2007-2011)
    What They're Doing: The Last of Us (PS3, Unknown Date)

Polyphony Digital

Located: Tokyo, Japan
    Founded: 1998
    Purchased by Sony: Founded by Sony
    What They've Done: Gran Turismo Series (1997-2010), Tourist Trophy (2006).
    What They're Doing: Gran Turismo 6 (Rumored)

SCE Bend Studio

Located: Oregon, USA
    Founded: 1994 (as Eidetic)
    Purchased by Sony: 2000
    What They've Done: Syphon Filter Series (1999-2007), Resistance: Retribution (2009), Uncharted: Golden Abyss (2012)

SCE Cambridge Studio

Located: Cambridge, UK
    Founded: 1990 (as Millennium Interactive)
    Purchased by Sony: 1997
    What They've Done: MediEvil Series (1998-2005), LittleBigPlanet PSP (2009), TV Superstars (2010)
    What They're Doing: Killzone (Vita, 2012)

SCE Japan Studio

Located: Tokyo, Japan
    Founded: 1998
    What They've Done: Ape Escape Series (1999-2010), LocoRoco Series (2006-200, Patapon Series (2007-2011), Team ICO Games (2001-2005)
    What They're Doing: The Last Guardian (PS3, 2012), Gravity Rush (Vita, 2012)

SCE London Studio

Located: London, UK
    Founded: 1993
    What They've Done: The Getaway (2003), SingStar Series (2004-2010), PlayStation Home (200

SCE San Diego Studio

Founded: 2001
    What They've Done: NBA Series (2005-2009), MLB: The Show Series (2006-2012), ModNation Racers: Road Trip (2012)
    What They're Doing: Warrior's Lair (Vita, 2012), MLB 13: The Show (PS3/Vita, 2013), Unnamed Move Game (PS3, 2012)

SCE Santa Monica Studio

What They've Done: Kinetica (2001), God of War Series (2005-2010)
    What They're Doing: God of War IV (rumored)

SCE Studio Liverpool

Located: Liverpool, UK
    Founded: 1984 (as Psygnosis)
    Purchased by Sony: 1993
    What They've Done: WipeOut Series (1995-2012), Formula 1 Series (2002-2007)

Sucker Punch Productions

Located: Washington, USA
    Founded: 1997
    Purchased by Sony: 2011
    What They've Done: Sly Cooper Series (2002-2005), Infamous Series (2009-2011)

BigBig Studios

Located: Warwickshire, United Kingdom
    Founded: 2001
    Purchased by Sony: 2007
    Closed by Sony: 2012
    What They Did: Pursuit Force Series (2006-200, MotorStorm: Arctic Edge (2009), Little Deviants (2012)

Incognito Entertainment

Located: Utah, USA
    Purchased by Sony: 2002
    Closed by Sony: 2009
    What They Did: Twisted Metal: Black (2001), Calling All Cars! (2007), Warhawk (2007)

I never included zipper as they have been shut down, I dont think they added LightBox Interactive so you can add that to the this too.

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    Good job on posting the list i thought it would be better if people check the link for all the info.

PS:BigBig & Incognito have also been closed.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I think Lightbox are 2nd party. Still, Sony's 1st party line up reigns supreme. Nice set up to have heading into next gen.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I think Lightbox are 2nd party. Still, Sony's 1st party line up reigns supreme. Nice set up to have heading into next gen.
    Now lets hope that having more first party developers helps them in the next gen more than it did during this gen. Having free online and more first party developers still couldn't get Sony out of last place. It will be interesting to see how the next gen plays out.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-04-2012 at 20:29.

PSU Technical Advisor
    PSN ID
    UK-Varsh
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    couldn't get Sony out of last place.
    Let's face it, is selling 50m bad? Having all consoles this gen selling over the 50m mark is something unheard of let alone the handhelds as well! This generation has been a boom and first or last place means nothing. The last generation the XBox and Gamecube barely passed 20m/30m respectively while the PS2 is currently at what, over 130m? Before that the N64, PS1, and Dreamcast/Saturn got no where near 30m.

No losers this generation only winners.

Extreme Poster
    Now lets hope that having more first party developers helps them in the next gen more than it did during this gen. Having free online and more first party developers still couldn't get Sony out of last place. It will be interesting to see how the next gen plays out.
    I think the fact that they have so much support is why they didn't totally bomb and are toe-to-toe with the 360.

I mean, they $#@!ed up in every other way this generation. Except games so that was their saving grace.

9. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    That's a massive list. Wonder how many are working on next gen

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Let's face it, is selling 50m bad? Having all consoles this gen selling over the 50m mark is something unheard of let alone the handhelds as well! This generation has been a boom and first or last place means nothing. The last generation the XBox and Gamecube barely passed 20m/30m respectively while the PS2 is currently at what, over 130m? Before that the N64, PS1, and Dreamcast/Saturn got no where near 30m.

No losers this generation only winners.
    I think the issue isn't the volume of PS3 units Sony has sold, it’s the negligent bottom line sacrifice compounded by the capitulation of market (and mind) share to its rivals.

Sony went from a pretty unassailable market position to a cash poor, debt laden entity while its direct competitors are the polar opposite of that. The closure of Zipper (and others in the future in my view) is illustrative of the stark reality that Sony needs to treat their gaming division as a business and not a charity to remain financially viable and in the 'game'.

Losers this generation have been Sony shareholders and confidence in the gaming business.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    I think the fact that they have so much support is why they didn't totally bomb and are toe-to-toe with the 360. I mean, they $#@!ed up in every other way this generation. Except games so that was their saving grace.
    I think the free online and bluray had more to do with that than the exclusives. Otherwise alot of Sony's exclusives would have sold better. I think most PS3 gamers in the real world buy mostly 3rd party multiplatform games. Sony themselves have said that they have spread themselves too thin which has affected both the quality and the support of their 1st party games resulting in less sales on quite a few of their games.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-06-2012 at 17:00.

Forum Elder
    you can have as many 1st party studios as you want, but if they dont make games i want, then........

Quote Originally Posted by Varsh View Post
    Let's face it, is selling 50m bad? No losers this generation only winners.
    sure, selling 50m cant be bad and in the ps3's case it has done well considering its higher price in the past, but the fact remains... Sony will not be happy going from 1st to last in a generation.

I think the free online and bluray had more to do with that than the exclusives. Otherwise alot of Sony's exclusives would have sold better. I think most PS3 gamers in the real world buy mostly 3rd party multiplatform games. Sony themselves have said that they have spread themselves too thin which has affected both the quality and the support of their 1st party games resulting in less sales on quite a few of their games.
    did blu-ray actually make a difference, 5 years or so down the line and DVD is still around and i only buy blu-ray for the 3D movies.
    and going off the way the big online games sell, free online don't look to have made a big difference either.

Master Guru
    Sony has put together the best first party studio family a gamer could ask for. The PS3 wouldn't be nearly what it is without all the great first party development.

15. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by TDbank24 View Post
    Sony has put together the best first party studio family a gamer could ask for. The PS3 wouldn't be nearly what it is without all the great first party development.
    Yep. Regardless if you like all/any of their exclusives or not, they are what give a console it's identity and character.

Extreme Poster
    I think the free online and bluray had more to do with that than the exclusives. Otherwise alot of Sony's exclusives would have sold better. I think most PS3 gamers in the real world buy mostly 3rd party multiplatform games.
    That's probably because there are more multiplat games out...generally Sony exclusives sell more than average.

I don't think Blu-ray helped...maybe with hardware but probably not much with software.

As for free online, while it may have helped, I think if they didn't deliver the games, you wouldn't have much to play online for free.

So it's kinda tricky.
    Sony themselves have said that they have spread themselves too thin which has affected both the quality and the support of their 1st party games resulting in less sales on quite a few of their games.
    They may have spread themselves a little thin there of course, (are we talking about Zipper being closed here?) but what you said after that is speculation and subjective.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    That's probably because there are more multiplat games out...generally Sony exclusives sell more than average. I don't think Blu-ray helped...maybe with hardware but probably not much with software. As for free online, while it may have helped, I think if they didn't deliver the games, you wouldn't have much to play online for free. So it's kinda tricky. They may have spread themselves a little thin there of course, (are we talking about Zipper being closed here?) but what you said after that is speculation and subjective.
    Not really. Look at KZ3 for example. The online community for that has died to the point where Sony has made the MP portion of that game a free download. You'll never see that happen with games like COD or Battlefield. With this generation having such a huge focus on online MP theres no doubt that free online plays a major part in PS3 sales. Games like Resistance and Motorstorm for example totally bombed (and some exclusives did well). And I know this is anecdotal but alot of PS3 only owners I know play mostly multiplatform games like COD and Battlefield,etc. and have told me that the free online is what made them choose the PS3 over the 360. I bet thats alot more common than you think as forum going hardcore gamers like you and I are in the vast minority. But again none of these things have been enough to get Sony out of last place. No doubt that Sony is unhappy about how this generation has played out regardless of what their PR may say.

Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    you can have as many 1st party studios as you want, but if they dont make games i want, then........
    Very true. Which is why these list wars are so pointless.

Merged to fix the double post.

Chille
    Last edited by Chille; 04-07-2012 at 20:08.

Extreme Poster
    Not really. Look at KZ3 for example. The online community for that has died to the point where Sony has made the MP portion of that game a free download. You'll never see that happen with games like COD or Battlefield.
    That happens with countless multiplatform games as well.

COD and BF are outliers...that's not the trend. Unless a game has carved a niche (i.e. LBP2), it's going to die out due to being in competition with COD/BF.

You can't say that a game bomb because of online either...KZ3 while an average online shooter, is more popular due to its campaign than multiplayer.

Games like Resistance and Motorstorm for example totally bombed (and some exclusives did well).
    I don't think Motorstorm or Resistance bombed. They did better than ok...not horrible. They still cater to a niche out there.

With this generation having such a huge focus on online MP theres no doubt that free online plays a major part in PS3 sales.
    Yes, and practically the biggest reason why 360 has been around this long...it's due to Live. As you said yourself, this generation is all about multiplayer and what better format to play multiplayer games on than Live?

The free online may have partially helped the PS3 but honestly it's way too basic to really matter much. PSN has some advantages being open but being free is more like a necessity than a feature. Would I wanna pay for basic service? Hell no lol.

Wii also has free online gaming and I know for sure that the controller made it what it was, not free online.

It's more to do with the fact that you NEED online to survive, rather than free online to succeed. I know that if I could have a Live-like service, I could see myself paying for it...that is if I had time to play.

And I know this is anecdotal but alot of PS3 only owners I know play mostly multiplatform games like COD and Battlefield,etc.
    Because there are more multiplat games out there...and yes, BF and COD are extremely popular. Though the first party games give their own competition against these titles. COD is obviously out there but on average the multiplats don't sell more than first party on PS3.

I wouldn't care if PS3 had free online if I didn't have an option to play the first party games that Sony has put out or will put out (MGS, LBP, GT etc). Multiplats obviously hold more ground for me but I need a backlog to play when I'm waiting for the next big game...and that's exactly what the first party games do for me.

and have told me that the free online is what made them choose the PS3 over the 360. I bet thats alot more common than you think as forum going hardcore gamers like you and I are in the vast minority. But again none of these things have been enough to get Sony out of last place. No doubt that Sony is unhappy about how this generation has played out regardless of what their PR may say.
    Really, the place Sony is in right now is not that bad...I don't think that if 360 sold less than PS3 in the end of all this, would automatically make the 360 have issues and be bad lol. I don't get why a few mil more or less consoles matter.

I also wouldn't care with the Wii being dozens of million sales ahead...if they don't have the games I wanna play then what's the point?

As for the vast majority, yes that's anecdotal for sure, because it seems to me the general consensus is that Sony brings the games more than the rest...even the MS PR wants you to believe that less is better...they can't deny it either.
    Last edited by Omar; 04-07-2012 at 20:11.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    What other major retail FPS have provided the mp portion as a free download? Please name these "countless" multiplatform games that have also done this. As for Motorstorm Apocolypse and R3 not bombing and doing better than ok I suggest you check the sales numbers again. Evolution sure thought Motorstorm Apocolypse failed http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...d-of-evolution . Also what evidence do you have to prove that KZ3 was bought mostly for the campaign? Especially when all of the KZ DLC is MP map packs. Most shooters today are bought mostly for the online MP. And yes Sony brings more exclusives which is a great thing as long as they all appeal to you. If most of them dont then having more doesn't really mean a whole lot to those not interested in Sony's lineup. Not saying MS is perfect as I have voiced my criticisms of them as well on numerous occasions in the 360 section. Lastly I'm not saying Sony is in a bad place but certainly Sony expected to dominate this gen like they did the last two and MS has managed to give the PS brand a black eye and firmly establish the Xbox brand which is pretty much what they set out to do. But of course next gen is anybody's ball game imo. Hopefully Sony has learned some lessons this gen and hopefully MS has learned some lessons from the RROD.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-10-2012 at 21:31.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    What other major retail FPS have provided the mp portion as a free download?
    I think that the release of KZ3 MP was more to do with Sony's slow but steady adoption of the free to play model for online games rather than it's failing MP component. Although, in this particular case, it's more of a "free to try", as once you reach the level cap you have to pay to continue playing.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    I think that the release of KZ3 MP was more to do with Sony's slow but steady adoption of the free to play model for online games rather than it's failing MP component.
    I would have thought that too except for all the complaints across the internet including here about how dead the KZ3 online MP has become and how the online community has pretty much died. I dont doubt that we will see more projects similar to Dust 514 ( or whatever its called again. lol ) though.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-09-2012 at 17:43.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I would have thought that too except for all the complaints across the internet including here about how dead the KZ3 online MP has become and how the online community has pretty much died. I dont doubt that we will see more projects similar to Dust 514 ( or whatever its called again. lol ) though.
    Fair enough, but really, I don't think many FPS games have a long life due to CoD and BF games. Crysis 2 didn't last all that long either and that was supposed to be a big game. I think you have to produce something really unique to survive long term against big established FPS IPs that release annually.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Fair enough, but really, I don't think many FPS games have a long life due to CoD and BF games. Crysis 2 didn't last all that long either and that was supposed to be a big game. I think you have to produce something really unique to survive long term against big established FPS IPs that release annually.
    Halo still has a huge active online community and so does Gears( not first person but still a shooter) for example. But yeah youre right about COD and BF immense popularity. COD I'm sure is the biggest by far. So you have a fair point about alot of other shooters being affected by that.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-09-2012 at 18:18.

Veteran
    It seems Cambridge and Evolution are the next studios that are going to be closed or merged. They are underperforming and showing no signs of making a turnaround.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

Thread Information