Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

College Savings Tips

I just wanted to share a tip since I know there are college students on this forum.

A close person to me is going to summer school, and each semester in the summer is about a month long. Her books for both classes are a total of $500-$600, for books she will only use for a month or two.

Here's the tip:
    Consider "renting" textbooks.

Because she will be renting her textbooks, she not only slashes the total in half, but her total will only be $125-$200!

A good site for renting textbooks is www.half.com and you can rent textbooks off the site using your ebay account.

One last tip from me is another one on buying or selling textbooks.

Tip:
    Ask instructors for textbooks from other students or ask instructors to sell your textbook

Sometimes students will have trouble selling their textbooks after they finish the class and they will let the instructor sell it for them, at a lower price than bookstores. Vice versa, if you have trouble selling a textbook, ask an instructor to sell it for you. I can testify to this, I took a computer class and could not sell my book back. So instead of throwing the book away, I let the instructor sell it to a new student and gained some money back!

Feel free to add more tips or talk about tips and how to save in college.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Pretty much agree with this, but torrent those books first, find them online, pirate the $#@! out of them because of the simple reason of only using them for two months, and worse, a few chapters or pages and that's it..if you can't find it online for free, then do all these other steps...these publishers and authors do not deserve my money if I'm using two pages out of it.

Dedicated Member
    Another tip. Go to a local community college for two years then transfer out.

4. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    i get my books from amazon and resell them to the schools bookstore. i've made a profit every year. If you search hard enough, you can find most books for cheap. Considering the school bookstore has like a 100% mark up, you can get alright money for them. Chegg also has some cheap books too. Biggest profit i made was on a science text book. it was for core classes that everyone has to take, so i chose astronomy. Got the book for 14 bucks on amazon. Sold it for 45 at the end of the semester. book store price was like 125.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

6. Likes ex nihilo7 likes this post
    Elite Sage
    I've been in college for 2 years now, and I've yet to buy a book. Buying a book isnt completely necessary for classes. A lot of professors will tell you to buy the book and use it for maybe 2 days, that's it. You can look on with some other sucker.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Veteran
    Don't get a meal plan.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    dont spend money?

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Wait, you guys can't borrow the books from the Uni library or via online resources? Granted they're limited and in high demand, you'll usually be able to get the required chapters via online reading.

Either way, try not to buy books brand new if you can help it.

Also, don't visit forums/gaming websites - they only make you want to buy games.
    Last edited by Admartian; 04-10-2012 at 02:54.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    dont spend money?
    That's impossible to do in college.

Forum Guru
    Work enough to have positive cash flow?
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    I know in the states its different becuase there is some $#@!ing ridiculous rip off with student books, but surely you have a library where everything you need is. I go to a reasonably small uni (only 12k people or so) and we have well over a million books in our library, surely you guys must be able to get hold of your books at a library ?.

We had an american girl staying with us in my halls last year, and she was shocked that she got every book she needed for her course for under 150 (it was a science and she had multiple modules) tbh I thought that was pretty expensive. The most I've spent on a book (ive only bought 3 over two years- its called a library and a photocopier guys) was 20.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

14. Likes Admartian likes this post
    Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    get some steady income, lap dancing is a good way to earn it, or so i hear

Dedicated Member
    I still have most my college textbooks and use them regularly (after graduating). I guess it depends upon your field of study/career aspirations.

Thread Information