Page 1 of 3 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple

Will the Next Xbox be more powerful than the PS4?

http://pastebin.com/j4jVaUv0
    Check this out. I know.. I know... hard to believe on a paste bin.. but it is interesting to see that he was right about BOTH consoles code names, and now the PS4's 4 core CPU as well, and the paste bin thing was post back in December of last year.

Interesting reads at this link about next gen IF true...
    So, apparently, a lot of game developers have recently received the new PS4 and XBox 3 specifications so they can be ready when the prototype devkits drop. And I got ahold of them.
    I tried to leak them to Engadget, but they weren't going to print it without independent confirmation, and no one is going to confirm this $#@! because they like their jobs. But being a jobless student, I figured someone should get some laughter out of this. So, here's the rundown.
    No firm date has been set for either, but currently they are stating that they are both setting to launch for the Holiday season in 2013. Codename of XB3 is "Durango". PS4 Codename is "Orbis".
    Both consoles are going to have Blu-Ray, with support for Single-Layer and Dual-layer, and higher-fidelity versions of their current motion control systems.
    The X-Box 3 is going to have an 8-core 64-bit processor (assumedly an i7 or similar design) rated at 1.2 Teraflops. The PS4 will feature a 4-core 32-bit processor. XB3 will be using a GPU running support for DirectX 11, while the PS4 will be using an OpenGL 4 GPU. XB3 is specified to use 4 GB RAM, and the PS4 will be shipped with 2GB.
    Specifications state that the PS4 will have *NO* hard drive by default, while the XB3 will come with a 500GB Hard Drive with 8GB of Flash memory. The XB3 will also have a 24/7 connectivity system which has not been entirely elaborated on, with coming support for cloud-based connectivity in 2015/2016.
    Why do I have this? Well, let's just say that some major developers like EA games are currently very pissed because the PS4 specs are $#@!ty compared to the next XBox and besides limiting their abilities in making more impressive games for the new Playstation, it's also going to $#@! up cross-platform titles in the same way that the lack of Blu-ray and Standard Hard Drive did with the XBox this generation, and Sony's not listening to their pleas for less $#@!ty hardware. Right now, programmers are pretty much looking at it and comparing the two consoles like one is a high-end gaming PC and the other's a piece of $#@! eMachines unit from Walmart's $200 special (including monitor).
    EDIT: The prototype PS4's will start hitting developers around Q3 2012.
    Last edited by The Sith; 04-05-2012 at 08:37.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I brought the grains of salt for those who need 'em.

3. Likes TheBreezyBB , Ghost , RaY_210 likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    I believe the Specs will be really close, I dont think one system will have 4gb of ram while the other 2gb, Im thinking 2gb is what they will have tho.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

5. Likes Cuguy likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    They'll probably be close again..like this gen.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

7. Likes Itachi , Cuguy likes this post
    Elite Sage
    Interesting. There's no reason to believe that the 360's successor can't be any more powerful than the PS3's successor and vice versa

I'll own them both next generation so who ever is more powerful doesn't really bother me.

BBK Tapatalking'

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    This seems a little too much of a disparity in hardware. With mem prices so cheap, there is no reason 4GB wouldn't be in both. As for the HDD, Sony might be switching to a proprietary HDD, but no HDD? No way. They know the value (and necessity) of a HDD with Blu-Ray games and the industry's trend towards many DLC packs. Rather than no HDD, I think if they switch at all, it will be to make money from a proprietary drive. It's all well and good you can do your own update to the HDD now, but Sony doesn't make any money if you do. They need to bring in some $$$ from selling prop drives.
    LMAO

10. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Maybe. Microsoft could make a more powerful console and price it at the same price as the PS4 as they're more in a position to eat up the losses per console, unlike Sony. Depends on whether they want to or not, I guess

For Sony, next generation is all about getting into profitability in the shortest amount of time (duh, it's a business). They just have to not $#@! up as much as they did this generation and things will be aight

PSU Live Streamer
    PSN ID
    xShadow__WoIf | YoungMullah88
    Items User name style
    how can sony do so well with listening to developers with the psp vita deveopment but then not listen to them when it comes to there bread and butter, the home console? nice rumor there buddy, not going to happen

13. Likes Itachi likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Maybe. Microsoft could make a more powerful console and price it at the same price as the PS4 as they're more in a position to eat up the losses per console, unlike Sony. Depends on whether they want to or not, I guess

For Sony, next generation is all about getting into profitability in the shortest amount of time (duh, it's a business). They just have to not $#@! up as much as they did this generation and things will be aight

True.. MS certainly can do that route, with all the expendable $$$ they have.

Still, all of these rumors are raising my sodium levels, too much salt to ingest.
    LMAO

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by YoungMullah88 View Post
    how can sony do so well with listening to developers with the psp vita deveopment but then not listen to them when it comes to there bread and butter, the home console? nice rumor there buddy, not going to happen
    That's true. Developers want powerful hardware. If Sony doesn't listen then they could lose a good amount of support from both developers and gamers alike.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    The same disparity can be seen in the rumoured GPUs where xb3 is much weaker than ps4. To me this is too much of a gap in specs to believe. Xb3 spec sound right but I dont think sony have any reason to put in weaker hardware. Its the xb3 that is supposed to have integrated kinect (that will eat up some budget of the machine) not ps4, so why is ps4 weaker?

Forum Sage
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    The same disparity can be seen in the rumoured GPUs where xb3 is much weaker than ps4. To me this is too much of a gap in specs to believe. Xb3 spec sound right but I dont think sony have any reason to put in weaker hardware. Its the xb3 that is supposed to have integrated kinect (that will eat up some budget of the machine) not ps4, so why is ps4 weaker?
    Perhaps maybe Sony wants to launch a console that will be comparably priced to the Wii U or cheaper to get it's market share back. Sony has been quoted saying the next ps4 will not be a high tech console with bells and whistles.

Dedicated Member
    Then they are making a very big mistake

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Given MS's position in the market and financial status, this is possible, but I think they will be very close in performance.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    If you think about it, the original xbox was the most powerful last gen, yet the ps2 absolutely dominated the market despite being weaker, due to the dev support. So I guess sony wants a cheaper, simpler and easier to code for machine to gain popularity

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Industry sources (who wished to remain unamed) have spoken out against the recent rumor that the next Xbox would be substantially more powerful than it's competitor, the PS4. According to them, the PS4 will be using an octa-core 4Ghz CPU set up. The CPU is being created by IBM and is a unique chip never before seen in the industry. According to the sources, the chips are made up of a unique mix of gay unicorn horns and the tears of disabled orphans.
    Holy $#@! that was easy. Now discuss this new info amongst yourselves. Tomorrow I will fart out some more bull$#@! for everyone to gather around and speculate on.

22. Likes snooper71, Itachi likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Meh. I don't see sony dropping the Cell (or Nvidia for the GPU) so easily.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post

Actually, they sort of already have:

source

This week, Nikkei reports that Sony plans to cease participation in the Cell processor's future iterations. Along with partners IBM and Toshiba, Sony has been researching 32nm and 45nm successors to the Cell processor, which is currently made using a 65nm process--an improvement from the original 90nm process. Sony is currently in negotiations with IBM and Toshiba on the exact date and terms of the pullout. The two reportedly plan to continue development on the chips.
    Now, no this does not mean they can't USE the cell in the PS4, but they would be paying more for the cell since they relinquished their stake in it. Makes sense to go with a cheaper manufacturer that still gets the job done really.
    LMAO

Forum Sage
    I see them dropping the cell processor because they have lost billions on it. It's not getting use in other products other than the ps3.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    I see them dropping the cell processor because they have lost billions on it. It's not getting use in other products other than the ps3.

and for gaming, it has been nothing but a programming headache for most...
    LMAO

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post

source

Now, no this does not mean they can't USE the cell in the PS4, but they would be paying more for the cell since they relinquished their stake in it. Makes sense to go with a cheaper manufacturer that still gets the job done really.
    How do they expect to achieve BC on the PS4?

Kind of hard to emulate a cell processor on a conventional cpu. And I doubt they will stick one in the ps4 for bc due to costs.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    How do they expect to achieve BC on the PS4?

Kind of hard to emulate a cell processor on a conventional cpu. And I doubt they will stick one in the ps4 for bc due to costs.

kind of makes the claim of no BC valid though.

They removed BC on he current PS3, is that a stretch to think it won't be on the PS4 at all?
    LMAO

Elite Guru
    Whilst there's a good chance of this being duff information, it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

Xbox 360: Often talked down as it wasn't as powerful in the hardware department and 'holds' more powerful machines back. Next Gen Outcome: Make a more powerful machine.

PlayStation 3: Looked at as far too expensive out the gate. Stripped down hardware and reduced price. Next Gen Outcome: Lower spec to have cheaper entry level.

Community Manager
    PSN ID
    Fijiandoce
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post

source

Cuguy, why u troll?

Sony buy back cell production, make money from buyback

maybe the specs are true, if the console have codenames maybe the pieces inside also have a code names but attached to current really crap CPU/GPU's
    Sig courtesy of the_jim

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fijiandoce View Post
    Cuguy, why u troll?

Sony buy back cell production, make money from buyback

maybe the specs are true, if the console have codenames maybe the pieces inside also have a code names but attached to current really crap CPU/GPU's
    Ah, well then I stand corrected LOL

I didn't read that they bought back in! Good for them making money

I still maintain, they won't use cell though..
    LMAO

Thread Information