Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Veteran
    Items FuturamaLinuxBlizzardUser name style

Dont Talk to Police

I know it's long (~49 min) but I recommend everyone watch that. It's really indepth and awesome video. I haven't gotten into $#@! with the police before and am not planning on to but I still found it good to know.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Right_to_silence

If you really really don't want to watch all of the video skip to 8:31 (still long but not as long. where he'll list the top 8 reasons why you shouldn't talk to the police).
    Last edited by bash; 04-06-2012 at 22:23.
    2010 Lethal's FF League Champion

2. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Dedicated Member

'I will never talk to a police officer under any circumstance'. I bet his stance changes if he needs help.

4. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Don't talk just $#@!.

6. Likes claud3 likes this post

PSN ID
    Royals26
    Items AppleBattlefield 3Dice
    I watched the first 10 minutes of it and it was really interesting, especially the thing about it can be illegal to possess a lobster under a certain length

8. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    The number one reason not to talk to police: Anything you say will be used against you in a court of law...just on that alone, you shouldn't even fart.

10. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    i get to talk to one everyday!

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

12. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Elite Member

I talk to police all of the time. Never had a problem. I've even confessed to quite a few illegal activities and been let go.

I find that most people who take the "never talk to police, the police are bad" attitudes tend to create their own problems and then try to blame the police for them. Cops are just people doing a job, they aren't some secretive group of extremists who are out to get you, they're just regular people doing work for pay, just like the rest of us.

Generally speaking, if you make their job easier and don't cause them problems or give them a lot of attitude and they'll leave you alone. It's when you take the "I'm not going to talk to the cop" attitude that pisses them off and makes them decide to show you how wrong that attitude is.

Basically it's a bad idea to poke tigers with sticks, and it's a bad idea to piss cops off for no reason.

14. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    I talk to police all of the time. Never had a problem. I've even confessed to quite a few illegal activities and been let go.

I find that most people who take the "never talk to police, the police are bad" attitudes tend to create their own problems and then try to blame the police for them. Cops are just people doing a job, they aren't some secretive group of extremists who are out to get you, they're just regular people doing work for pay, just like the rest of us.

Generally speaking, if you make their job easier and don't cause them problems or give them a lot of attitude and they'll leave you alone. It's when you take the "I'm not going to talk to the cop" attitude that pisses them off and makes them decide to show you how wrong that attitude is.

Basically it's a bad idea to poke tigers with sticks, and it's a bad idea to piss cops off for no reason.

If you watched the video you'd see why you shouldn't.

• Everything you tell them will be used against you. They can't vouch for you
    • You don't know all the laws so you can confess to something without meaning to.
    • You can tell them the truth but they could have a misinformed witness that will $#@! you over.
    • You can almost never talk your way out of it.
    • You can admit your guilt under pressure even if you aren't guilty or even if you are you can admit it with no benefit. If you hold you can possibly get a deal done and resolve the case, especially out of court.
    • You mostly tell the truth and say one tiny lie and which will bite you in the ass later on in court. It's extremely hard to tell nothing but the whole truth in a high pressure situation.
    • The police can forget details before the case and something you say in the interview can screw you over. Like he gave an example of the guy who says that he didn't own a gun or used a gun etc. when the guy said nothing about a gun in the question. Then if you say you heard them saying it earlier then it's basically your word vs their word.
    • They can use tiny details in your answers to screw you over.

It is stupid to talk to them. Tell them you will not talk to them and talk to your lawyers. It is far better for your case.

16. Likes $Greatness$ , claud3 likes this post
    Elite Member

No offense kid, but I'm 43 years old. I've been around the block a few thousand times, and had one hell of a wild teen-through-mid-20s life. I've seen the inside of more than one jail cell, and I've walked away from more than a dozen cases where I could easily have been arrested. Hell, I've been allowed to drive home with an underage girl in the car when I was caught red handed tripping acid and smoking a joint at 2AM.

You believe what you want, but I'll tell you from personal experience that most cops simply don't want the hassel and paperwork. Be nice and cooperative and 9 times out of 10 you'll be allowed to leave with little more than a warning. However, if you're being a jerk and giving them attitude, they'll be more than happy to flex their legal muscle.

Remember, in the US most police can arrest and hold you up to 72 hours without filing charges, so the real question is how much of your time is your attitude worth? Are you willing to sit in jail for 2-3 days simply because you wanted to be Mr Attitude with a chip on your shoulder?

18. Likes Wrath , claud3 likes this post
    Super Elite
    PSN ID
    bolderdash
    I wouldn't talk even for a deal. When I've been at work trying to rectify some missdoings I'll straight up tell people the won't get in trouble if they narc. But it's a lie, snitching gets others in trouble and will work on you too. Just las month we found a 16 year old rolling ajoint in the employee breakroom. We told him if he offered up names on anybody else using drugs in the store he wouldn't be fired. We then "randomly" piss tested him and the names he dropped and 3 outta 4 were canned. Snitches always burn whether by their own hands or the hands of others.

Somebody get me a doctor, I ain't feelin' ill ...But I ain't feelin' this at all...

20. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Veteran
    No offense kid, but I'm 43 years old. I've been around the block a few thousand times, and had one hell of a wild teen-through-mid-20s life. I've seen the inside of more than one jail cell, and I've walked away from more than a dozen cases where I could easily have been arrested. Hell, I've been allowed to drive home with an underage girl in the car when I was caught red handed tripping acid and smoking a joint at 2AM.

You believe what you want, but I'll tell you from personal experience that most cops simply don't want the hassel and paperwork. Be nice and cooperative and 9 times out of 10 you'll be allowed to leave with little more than a warning. However, if you're being a jerk and giving them attitude, they'll be more than happy to flex their legal muscle.

Remember, in the US most police can arrest and hold you up to 72 hours without filing charges, so the real question is how much of your time is your attitude worth? Are you willing to sit in jail for 2-3 days simply because you wanted to be Mr Attitude with a chip on your shoulder?
    That isn't something I made up on the spot. That is what that guy said, he's a defense lawyer (backed by the police officer that was there). I'm sure they have more exp than you...

Talking will always do worse than not talking. I think you got pretty lucky TBH.
    Last edited by bash; 04-07-2012 at 07:47.

22. Likes claud3, Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Hell, I've been allowed to drive home with an underage girl in the car when I was caught red handed tripping acid and smoking a joint at 2AM.
    Now that's classy!

24. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Forum Sage

Just remember, being held for a crime that can't be proven lands you in a much better legal position than admitting guilt. I'd rather be placed in a jail cell knowing they don't have squat on me because I know with the right lawyer, I'll not only be out but be paid to get out of said jail cell. Not trying to sound like a $#@! but you really shouldn't talk to an officer, period.

26. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Can someone update the title of the thread to "Don't talk to Police if you're a $#@!ing dumbass criminal" ?

28. Likes Wrath , NYFAN75, claud3 likes this post
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Can someone update the title of the thread to "Don't talk to Police if you're a $#@!ing dumbass criminal" ?
    you meant "dumbass criminal mastermind"

That statement is like the starburst commercial with the dog's butt stuck out the window..it's a contradickshun,.

'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

30. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I watched only 25 minutes of the video. He has some pretty good points TBH.

32. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Defense attorney... that's all that needed to be said tbh.

I dont' believe that people shouldn't talk to police though. Regardless of these scare tactics this guy presents to try and convince you otherwise. Just imagine a witness that saw a little girl hit by a truck, she dies, and the witness follows this guys advice. Thank God for people that are willing to help the police.

34. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    The police are police and either way you spin it, they will always be in a conflict of interest
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    He's basically saying that police officers are humans, people with jobs -- you can't count on them being honest all the time, nor can you expect them to take your side. It is their job suspect to anyone at the scene of the crime, with reasonable doubt. Evidence, witnesses, etc -- those are what can help you or well, even hurt you.

There is also the thing about not all cops are going to be honest and not corrupt. It is up to you look out for yourself. I don't see how what he said only applies to people that are guilty.

Cops are not carrying a guilty/not guilty meter with them that they can tell who is and isn't guilty without any type of investigation -- in their eyes anyone can be guilty because they need to look at everything.

The advice he's giving isn't bad advice.

EDIT

The scenario you mention in your post F34R, isn't really the type of situation he gives examples of (as far as I've heard him talk, someone else is speaking now.)
    Last edited by sainraja; 04-08-2012 at 01:51.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Is it really a surprise that some not all cops act like this
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    we do have a right to remain silent or is that only if under arrest?

39. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    We just have to come to the realistic conclusion and that is, cops have power and rule bending to their advantage
    Last edited by claud3; 04-08-2012 at 00:25.

Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Watch the video. Even if you aren't a [dumbass] criminal it's better if you don't talk to them.

42. Likes claud3 likes this post
    young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    We just have to come to the realistic conclusion and that is, cops have power and rule bending to their advantage
    Have we ? I think you just came to that by yourself.
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a dick, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    I have and i am not surprised by the action of the cop or any cops that act this way

Thread Information