Latest PSU headlines:

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst ... 2
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    One of the coolest aspects of today's gaming scene is the fact that these kind of things exist. No one is forcing 3D down anyone's throat, but is offered as an optional element of immersion. There are many on this forum who greatly enjoy 3D, and there are a few who have even bought Sony's 3D viewer. Of course the majority of gamers prefer grabbing a controller and playing, but there are also an ever increasing amount who are cool with taking 15 seconds to put glasses or headsets on.

I agree with your points, but 3D isn't even finding a massive audience in home theater, gaming even less, mostly due to the costs involved with outfitting people with glasses and whatnot.

I agree it is a cool feature, but I don't think it is the "future" of gaming. I think there are other avenues where gaming will be advanced and 3D isn't it.
    LMAO

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    I agree with your points, but 3D isn't even finding a massive audience in home theater, gaming even less, mostly due to the costs involved with outfitting people with glasses and whatnot.

I agree it is a cool feature, but I don't think it is the "future" of gaming. I think there are other avenues where gaming will be advanced and 3D isn't it.
    It's not THE future of gaming, but it is certainly a big part of it, at least from Sony. I don't really know how else gaming will advance in terms of the way you perceive the experience. For me, the way that you see the games visuals and hear its audio are the only avenues that can advance the gaming experience other than more fps, super duper 4k HD resolution and carmack style super saiyan textures.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    It's not THE future of gaming, but it is certainly a big part of it, at least from Sony. I don't really know how else gaming will advance in terms of the way you perceive the experience. For me, the way that you see the games visuals and hear its audio are the only avenues that can advance the gaming experience other than more fps, super duper 4k HD resolution and carmack style super saiyan textures.
    I just don't see it being a big, major draw to gaming.

Other ways, cheaper for the consumer, to immerse are:

• better force feedback
    • as you said, audio - positional
    • better resolution to bring out much higher res (more accurate to real life) textures
    • ability to run in higher than 1080p
    • accurate, believable physics - elasticity, degradations, structural collapse, etc.. all modeled realistically. So far most physics based games are not universally presented as such, more so, situationally.
    • more interactive environments. - yes, 3d can enhance this no denying, but truly having an all inclusive, fully interactive area doesn't NEED 3D to become believable.

There are plenty of ways outside of 3D to advance immersion in gaming. And IMO, should be done well before 3D.
    LMAO

Soldier 95B
    Oh hello 2007 Wii demo.

Bring it. The more options, the better.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    I just don't see it being a big, major draw to gaming.

Other ways, cheaper for the consumer, to immerse are:

• better force feedback
    • as you said, audio - positional
    • better resolution to bring out much higher res (more accurate to real life) textures
    • ability to run in higher than 1080p
    • accurate, believable physics - elasticity, degradations, structural collapse, etc.. all modeled realistically. So far most physics based games are not universally presented as such, more so, situationally.
    • more interactive environments. - yes, 3d can enhance this no denying, but truly having an all inclusive, fully interactive area doesn't NEED 3D to become believable.

There are plenty of ways outside of 3D to advance immersion in gaming. And IMO, should be done well before 3D.
    Better force feedback and audio I agree with. The rest is to do with the experience (aka the game), not the way the experience is perceived by us. Playing a game on TV speakers and playing it with a 5/7.1 surround sound system is a significant increase in immersion for me. I used to enjoy it on Red Dead Redemption, on the way to a mission when you'd follow someone on a horse and get some dialog on the way, i liked how the speaker transmitting the voice altered as I changed position. Is that necessary to enjoy RDR? of course not, but I would rather have it than not. At night when I could hear the wildlife around me, out hunting, hearing crickets etc...

It is a similar step with 3D. Whenever I play AC: Revelations sometimes I perch somewhere and switch my glasses off, and all the objects in the game, the buildings, people etc all look like paper cut outs arranged on screen. Of course it still looks excellent, but it looks soooo much better (imho) with the depth perception afforded by 3D. It just looks more natural to me. We don't see our world in 2D, so why should we perceive our game world that way? Have you have the chance to play Uncharted 3, AC: Revelations or Batman: AC on a decent 3D TV by any chance?

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Better force feedback and audio I agree with. The rest is to do with the experience (aka the game), not the way the experience is perceived by us. Playing a game on TV speakers and playing it with a 5/7.1 surround sound system is a significant increase in immersion for me. I used to enjoy it on Red Dead Redemption, on the way to a mission when you'd follow someone on a horse and get some dialog on the way, i liked how the speaker transmitting the voice altered as I changed position. Is that necessary to enjoy RDR? of course not, but I would rather have it than not. At night when I could hear the wildlife around me, out hunting, hearing crickets etc...

It is a similar step with 3D. Whenever I play AC: Revelations sometimes I perch somewhere and switch my glasses off, and all the objects in the game, the buildings, people etc all look like paper cut outs arranged on screen. Of course it still looks excellent, but it looks soooo much better (imho) with the depth perception afforded by 3D. It just looks more natural to me. We don't see our world in 2D, so why should we perceive our game world that way? Have you have the chance to play Uncharted 3, AC: Revelations or Batman: AC on a decent 3D TV by any chance?

No... i haven't done 3D gaming. Mostly because I don't want to, but also because at present a decent setup is more than I can handle since I have twin 4 yr olds.

I am not slagging the feature, don't get me wrong, I just don't think it is as relevant to gaming as other things in terms of advancing gaming.

I am sure it is cool and fun to use though!
    LMAO

Soldier 95B
    For me, the biggest advancement I would like to see is substantially improved AI.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    For me, the biggest advancement I would like to see is substantially improved AI.
    Same here. Improved AI alone would make most games so much better. Hopefully next gen brings a big improvement there.

Thread Information