YLOD - Need some help

Got the YLOD yesterday while playing some Skyrim, and I need a little help. It was about time to get a new PS3 anyways (had an 80 gb PHAT for about five years), but the last time I backed it up was awhile ago. I seem to recall that there is a temporary way to fix it by opening up the PS3, and was wondering if anybody could point me in the direction towards a reliable walkthrough. I just need to fix it long enough to back up my system (four to five hours) and get my disc out. I haven't done anything like this is the past, so it would be nice if the walkthrough was dumbed down a little bit! Thanks in advance for all the feedback.

Moved to the correct section.

Chille
    Last edited by Chille; 04-07-2012 at 22:54.

Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    If your ps3 is out of warrenty this could help as it shows you step by step in video on how to open up your ps3 and removing the disk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JH-V8EgaEr8
    But this will complete invalidity any warrenty and you will not be able to trade it in or send it in to sony for a replacement model.

There is also the hairdryer method but when my 60gb ps3 broke down i just used it as an execuse to open it up and have a peek

Thank you itachi

Elite Guru
    The only thing you'll be able to rescue with the back up option is maybe your game saves, the 3-4 hour process will not get your downloaded games or installed content to transfer over to a new PS3. You;re going to have to redownload all that. I'd concentrate on grabbing the saves you can get onto a USB drive.

The back up option is really only useful for replacing content you may have lost on the same system or when upgrading to a larger harddrive.
    Last edited by Alpha2; 04-16-2012 at 17:24.

The same thing happened to me a while back with Skyrim on a five year old 80 Gb PS3 as well. I was able to use the hair dryer trick several times to backup games saves to a external drive and PSN+ cloud saves for locked saves. I already had a drive backup. I don't think it lasted long enough for a full drive backup. I think it only work for several hours.

PSN ID
    phantomjla24
    ifixit.com is good and youtube has a bunch but go with the 10 minute or longer ones

PSN ID
    phantomjla24
    i got the hair dryer thing to work one time lol

Master Guru
    Sorry to hear about your PS3 troubles. You should get a slim though, they're bullet proof.

supersan
    Or you can put a fan on your ps3.

i tried a couple of those youtube videos when my 80 gig went out on me... it worked a few times, but only lasted about a month or so each time... I finally got fed up with it and bought a Slim.

bank24 is right, i dropped my slim once, it fell a good 5 feet and slammed into a night stand, i picked it up and continued playing battlefield lol

Thread Information