Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

Rumor: Wii U $300 Price Planned

A report has emerged claiming that Nintendo's Wii U will cost at least $300 at its U.S launch later this year.

Montreal-based culture and entertainment site Forget the Box is citing "sources closely involved with manufacturing and distributing Nintendo products" for its story, which has been picked up by various mainstream media outlets. The source says that Wii U's costs of manufacture are $180 with an additional $50 for the controller.

Forget The Box's source is quoted, "Cutting production costs to maximize profits is Nintendo's main concern with the Wii U. They are cutting costs in the Wii U's hardware to build back confidence in investors. Nintendo wants investors to view Wii U as a less risky proposition."

The source added, "Nintendo chose an economical GPU and CPU that could keep up with the performance of today's current consoles, but keep hardware costs down to maximize profits. Nintendo got a bargain price on the custom GPU and CPU that the Wii U uses. There is a bigger focus on downloadable content, applications, video content, digital distribution, and services to create a stream of revenue. Investors will be ecstatic with the news."

The original Wii launched at $250 in the U.S, as did Nintendo's 3DS. Nintendo is expected to announce is plans for Wii U at E3. IGN
    If this is true, then Nintendo will have another money making machine like Wii

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Nice. At $300 it'll probably sell a ton. Considering Nintendo go out to make a profit on their hardware from the off, this may coincide with the rumours we've been hearing of late of the average specs

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-12-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    That's a good starting point imo

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Master Poster
    I'll wait until the next PLAYSTATION comes out. By then, there might be a price cut of $50. Then again, If I do wait, I might never get a Wii U.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

5. Likes Abdou23 likes this post
    Finally You Are Free
    So, if rumors are true, it'll be weaker than the Wii comparative to its generation, and it'll be more expensive. Er... long live Nintendo?

7. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Well, factor in the tablet and a Wiimote, that's around the $100 mark I'd say, so the console itself is around $200. Yep, definitely on par with PS360 if this price is true, unless they are selling it for a loss.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Nitey View Post
    Nice. At $300 it'll probably sell a ton. Considering Nintendo go out to make a profit on their hardware from the off, this may coincide with the rumours we've been hearing of late of the average specs
    I wouldn't be so sure.

At $250 it could compete with the existing generation at consoles. (Say the base ps3 sku at $199.9-$249.99 and the 360 250gb at $249.99 (lite version at $149.99)

But at $300 I don't think so. Especially if MS launches the next xbox at ~$400 and sony sells the PS4 for less than the ps3 it isn't going to work out for nintendo considering sales numbers.

Best case for nintendo: they can create a worthwhile experience for 3rd party multiplat games with the Wii U controller and make use of historical Nintendo IP's with updated graphics and proper Wii U controller support to sell the console.

I foresee them dropping the ball with this (at least regarding 3rd party multiplat games)

I know a significant amount of people feel burned by nintendo with their Wii's sitting on a shelf collecting dust.

Plus nintendo's lack of an online network/ecosystem doesn't help.

10. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    That's good for them. I mean they were outta the media for a while but this probably will be a money making machine llike they said and a big HIT!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Good price if it's more powerful than the current gen ps3 and xbox. If not then it's not really All that great.

Selected Members Council
    I'm sure the new console will turn a profit for Nintendo. The real question is whether or not the Wii U will last longer than its predecessor.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-10-2012 at 02:23.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    If the Wii U has a large hard drive, then the $300 price should be fine. I do hope Nintendo sells the Wii U with the ability to upgrade the storage the same as the PS3.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    If the Wii U has a large hard drive, then the $300 price should be fine. I do hope Nintendo sells the Wii U with the ability to upgrade the storage the same as the PS3.
    Considering the hardrive prices right now, it probably won't.

Ancient
    With the latest info on it having more ram then current gen consoles but being slaughtered especially by the PS3 in processing terms....I don't know
    Seems a bit much, especially when I know that translates to £300 here, that's what next gen consoles should be, not a weaker then a 5 year old current gen console.....but no doubt it'll sale

Sent from my 12.5MP, DualCore, Bravia Powered 720p LED Screened Sony Xperia S

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I'm of two minds regarding this console. One side of me reads comments from Gearbox saying that the Wii U version will be one of the best looking and the idea of the motion tracker on the Wii controller is cool and I want it...but then I think about the console as a whole, what it's really offering and it's timing. The only real reason for me to buy it would be for Nintendo 1st party games, which I have never needed before, as the Vita-PS3 combo is a bit more dynamic and will be getting the same 3rd party content with its own perks (Move support, 3D, Vita integration). I think this device is aimed at the mighty Nintendo brand demographic, as I don't understand why someone would pay the price for a current gen console that has only a fraction of the content available.

I know around the launch of Wii, Nintendo were all like "we dont need to release an HD console, there is already enough competition there" and they were right imho. However, now they are jumping right in the midst of this market which they didn't want to crowd at a time when the consoles are on fire under a $#@!storm of amazing 1st and 3rd party games and established ecosystems.

It would be nice, however, if current gen and next gen could coexist on an ongoing basis. I think we are at the point of gaming tech where this is possible. There was no way it was really possible with PS2 and 3, seeing as the leap was so great. Sony have said that PS3 will have a minimum 10 year lifespan and that the Vita will be a 5-10 year product. Sony and Nintendo could offer cheap, affordable HD gaming with impressive and interesting tech and input options as an alternative to the (probably?) costlier next gen systems. I look at projects like Dust 514 and it's a $#@!ing HUGE undertaking what they're planning there, they have said they will be building upon it for years to come (unique planet maps etc). This gen is worthy of being the cheaper alternative to next gen, looking at titles on PS3 and 360.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    I agree completely, I think the seventh and eighth gen will coexist much longer than any previous gens, except the PS2 because that just doesn't seem to want to ever die until Sony say its had its day.

Dedicated Member
    Don't think it's worth 2 cents without any good AAA games. And Nintendo has a terrible reputation on that with that with the Wii outside the usual 1st Party Stuff.

As a matter of fact they outta call there system the "Nintendo Mario-Zelda-Metroid" cus lord knows that almost about all there good for.

And certainly if the Wii U ain't got an optical port, hardrives, and USB port, I think that console is worthless trash until they can prove it's worth getting one. Prove that it's more then just a Wii 2.0 and people will have more faith.

20. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    I'm still not believing these "weaker than the PS3/360" rumors. But I was hoping for a $300 price point. If true, I may end up getting one sooner rather than later.
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Since the Wii-U isn't exactly a jump from current gen consoles, they cant really price it much above the PS3 in my opinion.

Nintendo usually makes a profit from day one on their consoles, 299$ doesn't sound way off, wouldn't surprise me if it was 249$ either.
    Last edited by Nuvian; 04-11-2012 at 20:11.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    I'm still not believing these "weaker than the PS3/360" rumors. But I was hoping for a $300 price point. If true, I may end up getting one sooner rather than later.
    At that price I wouldn't expect much more, if any at all. But at least the games will be 1080p native and hopefully a decent online platform. Otherwise it'll be just what we currently get out of the current systems.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Quote Originally Posted by AaronSOLDIER View Post
    But at least the games will be 1080p native and hopefully a decent online platform.
    Quote? only thing i have read is that the console has 1080p support, nothing about the games being ran on 1080p.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Well it'll surely have more than 512MB of RAM for it to be able to be 1080p for all games natively, if not then its even more of a pointless 'upgrade'

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    I'm pretty sure the games will be native 1080p. Atleast thats what the devs make it sound like

Dedicated Member
    People always saying "oh Nintendo makes a profit on day one on console sales". Well why don't they get off their sorry asses and try making some new IPs with all that green there making.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Versus View Post
    People always saying "oh Nintendo makes a profit on day one on console sales". Well why don't they get off their sorry asses and try making some new IPs with all that green there making.
    New IP's, from nintnendo? Why would they bother when they can easily get away recycling existing IP's/franchises.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    To be fair they've created a few new ones lately as well as bring back some older franchises and making some sequels to other games (Luigi's Mansion 2).

Thread Information