Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Increase sales by having more downloadable games and subscription services through PSN? I guess we can expect less first party retail releases. And subscription services? I think its possible that Sony may be considering charging for online play and will work on bringing PSN up to Xbox Live standards.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-12-2012 at 19:51.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Increase sales by having more downloadable games and subscription services through PSN? I guess we can expect less first party retail releases. And subscription services? I think its possible that Sony may be considering charging for online play and will work on bringing PSN up to Xbox Live standards.
    I think online play will always be free. They will however make a very attractive sub service that will offer lots of bells and whistles. Also, I dare say we may see a reduction in 1st party retail releases, 7-9 a year perhaps.

Soldier 95B
    Agreed. I think the PS4 will be sporting a fee for online play this time around.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I think online play will always be free. They will however make a very attractive sub service that will offer lots of bells and whistles. Also, I dare say we may see a reduction in 1st party retail releases, 7-9 a year perhaps.
    7 to 9 a year? I seriously doubt that. I'd say more like 3 or 4 tops. I think we will see more studio closures and underperforming ips scrapped. The ips that have done very well will be the ones Sony focuses on. And dont be so sure about online always being free. Alot of things have happed this gen that people never thought would.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-12-2012 at 20:10.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    Agreed. I think the PS4 will be sporting a fee for online play this time around.
    I agree.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    7 to 9 a year? I seriously doubt that. I'd say more like 3 or 4 tops. I think we will see more studio closures and underperforming ips scrapped. The ips that have done very well will be the ones Sony focuses on. And dont be so sure about online always being free. Alot of things have happed this gen that people never thought would.
    Sony's first party endeavors are an important part of their identity in recent years. While it was posed that they should cut back a few to focus those resources on fewer titles, I can't see them dropping that low. Publishing is a core part of Sony's DNA, right along with their movies and music. Well, only time will be the judge.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Almost certainly. Free to play hasn't garnered attraction to online heavy games like they had hoped, so it only makes sense to charge for the service to bolster your offerings. PS+ hasn't taken off, Qore is cancelled... Home makes some revenue, but not enough. Charge to play, but charge less than the competitor.
    LMAO

Soldier 95B
    Personally, I don't care that MS raised the fees from $50 a year to $60 a year (because I always buy Live for like $38 a year from Buy.com), but I think MS should re-evaluate the pricing structure. They should offer an entry level online for like $30 a year missing tons of features, but at least allow everyone to play online. Sony will/should do something similar, I would think.

9. Likes Two4DaMoney likes this post
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Sony's first party endeavors are an important part of their identity in recent years. While it was posed that they should cut back a few to focus those resources on fewer titles, I can't see them dropping that low. Publishing is a core part of Sony's DNA, right along with their movies and music. Well, only time will be the judge.
    It has been an important part of Sony's identity yes, but profitability is taking top priority now. Sony cant keep losing money on first party ips that arent performing as hoped and expected. They will be looking at anything that is losing them money. Their own statement implies that their main focus will be on digital content and online revenue. The retail games that we will see will most likely be the ips that have done very well and are therefore profitable. Sony isnt done trimming the fat just yet.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-12-2012 at 20:46.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Personally, I don't care that MS raised the fees from $50 a year to $60 a year (because I always buy Live for like $38 a year from Buy.com), but I think MS should re-evaluate the pricing structure. They should offer an entry level online for like $30 a year missing tons of features, but at least allow everyone to play online. Sony will/should do something similar, I would think.
    That sounds good.

Master Guru

honestly Sony could have probably got away with charging online from the start, even if it was a smaller fee than xbox live......yes it was a marketing strategy used by Sony offering free online but it wouldnt have made much difference in terms of sales of the console imo.
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Forum Sage
    Hard to figure out how they would draw the line. It's not like the subscription could cover the costs of 3rd party services/features. And you have to keep all the MP features together for a good experience.

Ultimate Veteran
    How did I know what this thread would become before even opening it? Oh, duh.

Nintendo is plenty profitable and doesn't charge for online gaming. On top of that, the Playstation Division has been profitable. Every thread is a "Sony should copy Live" commercial nowadays. Get over it.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Hard to figure out how they would draw the line. It's not like the subscription could cover the costs of 3rd party services/features. And you have to keep all the MP features together for a good experience.

exactly.. how much is too much, how much is too little?

I just think that it doesn't matter to consumers to pay to play as much as some would like to think.
    LMAO

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Lefein View Post
    How did I know what this thread would become before even opening it? Oh, duh.

Nintendo is plenty profitable and doesn't charge for online gaming. On top of that, the Playstation Division has been profitable. Every thread is a "Sony should copy Live" commercial nowadays. Get over it.
    Hooray for nintendo. They aren't the ones with a posting of 6.4B loss and going through a restructure.

Everyone else in this thread is discussing possible issues, solutions, and conjecturing about what might or might not happen. Then you come in with two possible derailing posts just because you can't stand the conversation.

It has been friendly, good healthy debate in here. Why you have to bring hostility into it is beyond me.
    LMAO

Soldier 95B
    Nintendo has online gaming?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    exactly.. how much is too much, how much is too little? I just think that it doesn't matter to consumers to pay to play as much as some would like to think.
    Thats true. If the service is good then I dont think its a big deal to most consumers. Xbox Live is proof of that. Plus you can always find discounts.

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    It has been friendly, good healthy debate in here. Why you have to bring hostility into it is beyond me.
    Because 2006 has come and passed, yet the same argument has been brought up by the same cabal. Sure, the names have rotated a bit. But, the song is the same.

They hang the same worry and regret at every possible opportunity. It makes me
    http://youtu.be/L5NX3OVjzHg
    Last edited by Lefein; 04-12-2012 at 21:15.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I think sony should charge for service just like xbox live. It may have a rough start but if the content is there gamers will flock to it. Make the service worth the price and it will work. Xbox live had a rough start but look at where they are now. Besides, the extra revenue will be a very good thing.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I think sony should charge for service just like xbox live. It may have a rough start but if the content is there gamers will flock to it. Make the service worth the price and it will work. Xbox live had a rough start but look at where they are now. Besides, the extra revenue will be a very good thing.

The problem with that is that Sony will have to offer something on par with Microsoft. Faster downloads, live streaming, and a reason to pay. Microsoft has really set the bar high with their memberships.

I feel Sony could have used PS Home as an incentive to purchase an online membership.

Soldier 95B
    Look where they are at now? Cleaning Nintendo's boots?
    Wouldn't it be the other way around? Xbox Live is generating MS billions of dollars. How much is Nintendo's online service generating?

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Wouldn't it be the other way around? Xbox Live is generating MS billions of dollars. How much is Nintendo's online service generating?
    Plus the 360 has been outselling the Wii for awhile now although Nintendo has the largest userbase of anybody by far.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I just hope Sony does start charging for the PSN when the PS4 releases. Sony could use the extra money to pay for improvements to the OS and server.

Microsoft seems to do huge updates twice a year and they seem to get a makeover at least once a year. I think that is great for the console because the makeover actually makes the system feel fresh again.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    The problem with that is that Sony will have to offer something on par with Microsoft. Faster downloads, live streaming, and a reason to pay. Microsoft has really set the bar high with their memberships.
    That extra revenue could go towards those things. No one expects this change to happen overnight but in the long run it will do a lot of good.

Agreed. Xbox live is a cash cow for MS.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I just hope Sony does start charging for the PSN when the PS4 releases. Sony could use the extra money to pay for improvements to the OS and server. Microsoft seems to do huge updates twice a year and they seem to get a makeover at least once a year. I think that is great for the console because the makeover actually makes the system feel fresh again.
    I completely agree.

Thread Information