Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

UK ISP BT Offers up to 76Mbps Broadband Boost for Free

I just ordered my Infinity 40Meg yesterday its only 8 m,ore than what I currently pay and its double the speed fngers crossed when this 80Meg upgrade goes live I will be able to take advantage of it.

As expected BT’s retail ISP division has today announced the April 12th launch of its own ‘up to’ 76Mbps (Megabits per second) capable superfast broadband (BTInfinity) packages, which are based off the recent 80Mbps FTTC profile upgrade (here).

BT’s existing consumer FTTC packages can only manage a maximum download speed of up to 38Mbps, although the best speeds will only benefit those whom live closest to their local street cabinet. In addition its maximum capable upload speeds will also jump from up to 1.9Mbps on BTInfinity Option 1 to 9.5Mbps, and its Option 2 service will rise from up to 9.5Mbps to 19Mbps.

Customers new to BT and existing BT customers switching to BTInfinity from other packages will automatically benefit from these higher speed packages. Current BTInfinity customers will be able to switch to the faster products by starting a new contract, at no extra cost (most ISPs charge 5+ extra per month for the 80Mbps upgrade).

John Petter, MD of BT Consumer, said:

“Super-fast broadband is helping people enjoy the internet far more than ever before. However, many providers have forgotten about the importance of fast upload speeds. BT believes that fast upstream speeds are vital given how people now use the internet and so we are distancing ourselves from the competition by providing the UK’s fastest upload speed.”

BT’s most popular BTInfinity Option 2 package, which bundles “unlimited” usage with free wifi minutes, free connection, free evening and weekend calls, a free HomeHub3 router and advanced security features costs from 20 per month (first 3 months then 26 thereafter). Line Rental must also be added from 10.75 a month.
    http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.php...medium=twitter
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    excellent...getting a boost from my isp soon (virgin). already on 50 meg but in july they bump it up to 120 meg for free...good times..

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

Power Member
    Yaya I just checked my order progress and it changed from 40Meg to 76Meg.

4. Likes BBK.. likes this post
    Indoril Nerevar
    I'm so jealous. Here in the states, I have to pay 70$ for 3Mb down and 600KB up. I wish the government would stop letting ISPs rip people off here.

Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    when my contract ends with sky in 6 months i am so leaving, they are the ONLY bb company stuck at 20meg ffs.

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I'm so jealous. Here in the states, I have to pay 70$ for 3Mb down and 600KB up. I wish the government would stop letting ISPs rip people off here.
    christs thats a rip off I am paying 18.26 or $30 for 24mbit but only get 16mbit due to the exchange only being 20mbit and loosing 4mbit due to the sgnals travelling about 1500meters through copper cables.
    This new 76Mbit costs 26/$41 per month and the distance will be about 400 meters through copper cables.

These BT routers better have gigbit ethernet on all ports otherwise its damned close to the max speed don't you think?

I hear rumours of Sky going to implement Fibre but when that will be I don't know.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-12-2012 at 15:21.

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I feel your pain bro. I pay $60 for 15/1.5 and there's not upgrades in sight, especially for free. There's talk about a 40Mb package for $75 coming sometime this year. The franchising and lack of other competition keeps prices and packages like this in a lot of places in the US of Corp. America.

Forum Guru
    Me so slow.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Forum Sage
    Good thing I have FIOS. Though the pricing could be better. And a speed bump across all tiers would be nice.

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Good thing I have FIOS. Though the pricing could be better. And a speed bump across all tiers would be nice.
    I’d LOVE to have FIOS as an option. We do have a couple of cable ISPs, but I’m not sold on their uptime ... our DSL isn’t the fastest, but it’s been mostly reliable.

What’s been your uptime/available/service?
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Power Member
    FIOS is cable right? To get it you need to be in an area that has it much the same with Virgin cable.

I just checked the prices of fios and holy crap those are expensive, you only save a fiver ($5) per month if you have your phone with them if going for the 150/35 plan.

And why is the 50/20 $145 yet the 150/35 is $200? These prices do not make any sense its a sthough they litterally though of a random number.

50/20 is double the speed of the previous qand also alost double the price but it is 3 times less than the 150/35 plan and cost only 50 less.

Master Poster
    PSN ID
    BreBaz
    Items One PieceOne PieceAuronPS3 FatVitaNaughty DogFinal Fantasy XPlayStation
    I have 4Mb/512Kb for $135 a month!! But, things are looking up around here in the next 2-3 months they will install a FIOS cable in my area and a 100Mb/20Mb is $170 a month!

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    I’d LOVE to have FIOS as an option. We do have a couple of cable ISPs, but I’m not sold on their uptime ... our DSL isn’t the fastest, but it’s been mostly reliable.

What’s been your uptime/available/service?
    In the first few months there were some issues with uptime, but in the past 2-2.5 years uptime has been great. So long as the power is up (only went out 2-4 times over the past 2-2.5 years) the FIOS connection is solid. The battery backup (8 hours) for FIOS installs is only for voice services.

I have the 15d/5up service. (Though for the first year or so I was getting 20-24d and ~10up)

Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    FIOS is cable right? To get it you need to be in an area that has it much the same with Virgin cable.

I just checked the prices of fios and holy crap those are expensive, you only save a fiver ($5) per month if you have your phone with them if going for the 150/35 plan.

And why is the 50/20 $145 yet the 150/35 is $200? These prices do not make any sense its a sthough they litterally though of a random number.

50/20 is double the speed of the previous qand also alost double the price but it is 3 times less than the 150/35 plan and cost only 50 less.
    Fios is fiber optic internet (to the house, unlike cable which is to the node, and copper to the house)

The prices are okay (though they have gone up over the past year), could be better though.

For my area (pricing and speeds can vary somewhat per region), these are the unbundled (internet service only) price/speed tiers:

15 down, 5 up : $54.99 per month

25 down, 25 up : $74.99 per month

50 down, 20 up (Not sure why it isn't 25 up) : $144.99 per month

150 down, 35 up : $199.99 per month

Granted there are no data/bandwidth caps, and Verizon turns a blind eye to my usage. (that may change in july though)

The biggest issue is that people in the US usually only have 2 choices, DSL from the phone company (or FIOS in my case) and cable internet from 1 cable company.

VS the 3, 4, 5+ ISP's you get to choose from.

Though some cities have municipal fiber optic service which brings good speeds at decent prices. (typically $20-$40)

And verizon and ATT are deploying LTE networks which give another option to people who live in rural areas and need satellite internet for connectivity.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    excellent...getting a boost from my isp soon (virgin). already on 50 meg but in july they bump it up to 120 meg for free...good times..

Same..good times indeed!

Power Member
    I cannot wait until 25 April when my new service goes live my current ISP (BE) is being utter ****e for the last couple of days this site takes ages to load and so does Steampowered.com and youtube vids stream slow with frequent bufferings for a 2 minute video.

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    In the first few months there were some issues with uptime, but in the past 2-2.5 years uptime has been great. So long as the power is up (only went out 2-4 times over the past 2-2.5 years) the FIOS connection is solid. The battery backup (8 hours) for FIOS installs is only for voice services.

I have the 15d/5up service. (Though for the first year or so I was getting 20-24d and ~10up)

Fios is fiber optic internet (to the house, unlike cable which is to the node, and copper to the house)

The prices are okay (though they have gone up over the past year), could be better though.

For my area (pricing and speeds can vary somewhat per region), these are the unbundled (internet service only) price/speed tiers:

15 down, 5 up : $54.99 per month

25 down, 25 up : $74.99 per month

50 down, 20 up (Not sure why it isn't 25 up) : $144.99 per month

150 down, 35 up : $199.99 per month

Granted there are no data/bandwidth caps, and Verizon turns a blind eye to my usage. (that may change in july though)

The biggest issue is that people in the US usually only have 2 choices, DSL from the phone company (or FIOS in my case) and cable internet from 1 cable company.

VS the 3, 4, 5+ ISP's you get to choose from.

Though some cities have municipal fiber optic service which brings good speeds at decent prices. (typically $20-$40)

And verizon and ATT are deploying LTE networks which give another option to people who live in rural areas and need satellite internet for connectivity.
    Ah so FTTP (Fibre to the premises) Upload speeds are good but still seems expensive to me.

BT was THE only phone company in the UK for a very long time (mid to late 80's I think) until the government privatised it and created an act to allow for better competition because BT own all the lines and exchanges and without this act BT would not ever have to allow other companies to use their equipment or lines.

Surely USA has many phone companies too?
    Last edited by keefy; 04-20-2012 at 15:56.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    I cannot wait until 25 April when my new service goes live my current ISP (BE) is being utter ****e for the last couple of days this site takes ages to load and so does Steampowered.com and youtube vids stream slow with frequent bufferings for a 2 minute video.

Ah so FTTP (Fibre to the premises) Upload speeds are good but still seems expensive to me.

BT was THE only phone company in the UK for a very long time (mid to late 80's I think) until the government privatised it and created an act to allow for better competition because BT own all the lines and exchanges and without this act BT would not ever have to allow other companies to use their equipment or lines.

Surely USA has many phone companies too?
    No just Verizon and AT&T depending on where a person lives.

Most of the u.k broadband suppliers are liars since they just about or barely give you have of the speed stated.

Make sure you get it checked and fully tested before buying it people.

Veteran
    Items Manchester United
    i get 50 - 60 of my 60 meg with virgin..very happy with them.

Quote Originally Posted by jj03 View Post
    i get 50 - 60 of my 60 meg with virgin..very happy with them.

I get 30mb/s from virgin, its alright for now.

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    THUGGEDOUT1
    Items LBP ColeLBP SephirothLBP KratosLBP HelgastLBP EzioLBP Cloud
    Well Sky have started offering their fiber optic, was told I could get it at the end of May. Now, I could go with BT Infinity, however, it works out cheaper using Sky and their unlimited service.

"When I was 12, I milked my eel into a pot of turtle stew. I flogged the one-eyed snake, I skinned my sausage. I made the bald man cry into the turtle stew, which I believe my sister ate. At least I hope she did."

Peaceful Warrior
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    I get 75 Mbps for 90 a month... living in the big city has its benefits. If I couldn't get more than 10 I'd seriously relocate.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Power Member
    Well its installed currently only getting 37Mbit but still nice seeing a full DVD5 download in less than 10 minutes.

OLD net

Quote Originally Posted by THUGGEDOUT View Post
    Well Sky have started offering their fiber optic, was told I could get it at the end of May. Now, I could go with BT Infinity, however, it works out cheaper using Sky and their unlimited service.

I dont think you get the upload speed though you may get 2mbit max.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-25-2012 at 13:09.

Super Elite
    I recently subscribed to BT Infinity but I am doing more downloading than I thought. I'm on the 40GB cap package, but I think soon I'll have to upgrade.
    Sent from my computer using keyboard.

young rich and tasteless
    Items ChelseaPS3 Fat
    for you students out there virgin do awesome 9 month contracts on their fiber optic only broadband. (ie dont need to get tv or phone line)
    "Remember that you are an Englishman, and have consequently won first prize in the lottery of life"

Quote Originally Posted by dc89 View Post
    If this makes time travel possible I'll go forward in time voluntarily to get my hands on CoD34 and Final Fantasy Versus XIII. They come out in the same year.
    Quote Originally Posted by Seahawkk View Post
    I dont think i could take a ****, 1. im not gay and 2 one time i stuck my finger in my butt to see how it felt and i wasn't very pleased with the experience

Power Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MacP View Post
    I recently subscribed to BT Infinity but I am doing more downloading than I thought. I'm on the 40GB cap package, but I think soon I'll have to upgrade.
    I have downloaded that much in 1 day.

Last tiem I checked my bandwidth usage (they count uploads as well) it was over 1000GB.

Thread Information