Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Apprentice
    Quote Originally Posted by podsaurus View Post
    Good job! Now you can do donuts in busy intersections.

I think you can get a lot of cars with manual but people choose not to. I'd like to learn manual but I'm nervous I'll totally destroy the engine shifting incorrectly.
    No you won't. You'd have to really bugger it up to do that. Just get someone that knows how to drive stick, make sure they are patient, and have a go. It's pretty easy actually. It really is great... unless you are in stop and go traffic.

And congrats to the OP. Freedom is yours.
    But existing is basically all I do!

2. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Thats why you should learnt o drive manual your instructor will teach you so someone else doesn't have to.
    You may never ever drive a manual again but at least you know what to expect if the situation arises.

Might be opposite in USA but in the UK manual cars are often cheaper.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-12-2012 at 15:49.

Forum Sage
    Until they break, then Automatics get really expensive, so i've heard

Forum Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Thats why you should learnt o drive manual your instructor will teach you so someone else doesn't have to.
    You may never ever drive a manual again but at least you know what to expect if the situation arises.

Might be opposite in USA but in the UK manual cars are often cheaper.
    Manuals are generally cheaper in the US too (though I recall a couple of years ago, some ****tard wanted to argue with me about this...)

It used to be that manuals could get better gas mileage because of the gearing and manual finesse when operating one, but the modern automatic with 6, 7, 8 gears, powerful computer control and analytics have kind of balanced that out.

Certainly for _fun_, nothing beats rowing your own gears. Automatics are great because anyone can drive one, they’re just “get in and drive”, much nicer in traffic, and a better option for towing.

Like pointed out above, manuals are much simpler vs. an auto, so the repairs on the latter can be high, though most are robust and manuals do have a “consumable” in the clutch.

Knowing how to drive a manual is a nice skills to have. You never know when you might need to operate a manual, like in the case of an emergency.
    "Remember, you're young only once but you can be immature forever."

Master Guru
    PSN ID
    MjW-
    Items VitaiPhone BlackGran Turismo 5PS3 FatTommy Vercetti3DS
    Congrats!

I'll be soon getting my MC licence!
    ~Corporate Media Propaganda - Welcome to your Daily Matrix~

7. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by Pez_555 View Post
    americans dont know the meaning of the word!
    I do. This is what my car has.....

Quote Originally Posted by [DT] View Post
    Like pointed out above, manuals are much simpler vs. an auto, so the repairs on the latter can be high, though most are robust and manuals do have a “consumable” in the clutch.
    ALL transimissions have a consumable clutch. Automatic transmissions have several clutches, anywhere from 4 to 10 depending on the type.

On a semi-realated side note, I am amazed by the number of people who think cars with paddle shifters are manual gearboxes. If it has a paddle shifter it's a double-clutch automatic gearbox.
    Last edited by Completely Average; 04-12-2012 at 17:14.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Completely Average View Post
    I do. This is what my car has.....

ALL transimissions have a consumable clutch. Automatic transmissions have several clutches, anywhere from 4 to 10 depending on the type.

On a semi-realated side note, I am amazed by the number of people who think cars with paddle shifters are manual gearboxes. If it has a paddle shifter it's a double-clutch automatic gearbox.
    No, not necessarily. Various transmissions can be had with "paddle shifters"

Forum Guru

True, but I’d put the auto-tranmission consumables in the same category as the clutch parts in an LSD. Sure they can get used and need replacing, but it’s generally more a “lifetime of your ownership”, plus with an auto tranny, there’s way less operator intervention that can lead to premature wear out (vs. people I’ve known that have burned up manuals in <10K miles).

On your semi related note: I at least always try to differentiate between an traditional automatic with paddle shifters vs. a dual clutch setup, the latter I feel like it’s really a clutch-pedal-less manual

Forum Sage
    My experience with automatics (I've only ever driven one) was that it never felt like it was in the right gear, i'd always notice this when turning corners or about to go up a hill.

El Presidente
    Manuals are generally cheaper in the US too (though I recall a couple of years ago, some ****tard wanted to argue with me about this...)

It used to be that manuals could get better gas mileage because of the gearing and manual finesse when operating one, but the modern automatic with 6, 7, 8 gears, powerful computer control and analytics have kind of balanced that out.

Certainly for _fun_, nothing beats rowing your own gears. Automatics are great because anyone can drive one, they’re just “get in and drive”, much nicer in traffic, and a better option for towing.

Knowing how to drive a manual is a nice skills to have. You never know when you might need to operate a manual, like in the case of an emergency.
    Yeah they probably have classes at the DMV or something. I know my mother used to drive manual but I dont think she's driven a manual since like the 80's. Doubt she remembers enough to teach me.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Forum Guru
    Yeah they probably have classes at the DMV or something. I know my mother used to drive manual but I dont think she's driven a manual since like the 80's. Doubt she remembers enough to teach me.
    The best thing you can do is go out to where you won’t be worried about other cars too much, like in your neighborhood, or even a parking lot and practice. You can read or have someone explain the basic mechanics of operating a manual, but most of it is “feel”. One thing I used to do to teach people, was have them get the car rolling without using the throttle at all, just learn how to feel for the take-up in the clutch as the car starts rolling.

14. Likes podsaurus likes this post
    Stockholm Syndrome
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    congrats on passing

16. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Am I the only one who thought this thread was going to be about him popping his cherry?

Forum Guru
    (Psst: The Black Wolf is a she)

19. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Congrats and enjoy your victory while it lasts, because as soon as you deal with asshole drivers, you'll get road rage like me.

21. Likes The Black Wolf likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    Am I the only one who thought this thread was going to be about him popping his cherry?
    Could have been a tax return.....

Dedicated Member

Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    No, not necessarily. Various transmissions can be had with "paddle shifters"
    No, really they can't. Only double-clutch automatics come with paddle shifters.

You will never find a paddle shift with a clutch pedal. You will never find a paddle shifter that doesn't have an automatic setting. In F1 they called them "semi-automatic gearboxes" but what it really comes down to is an automatic transmission with electronic shift control. Press a button and it changes gears, or put it in the automatic setting and it will shift for you, but either way the actual clutch work and shifting is performed automatically, you just press a button.

It's no different from the 2013 Mustangs which have manual shift buttons on their automatic transmissions.

Same thing as a paddle shifter, just a different location for the buttons.

Dedicated Member

You're over-thinking the whole issue.

Driving a manual is EASY. There really is nothing to it. At a dead stop, simply raise the engien RMP a little (200-300 RPM should be enough) and then slowly take your foot off the clutch. When you go to change gears it's simply step on the clutch, move the gear shift, and take your foot off the clutch.

The only "hard" part about it is getting used to the feel. Learning not to slip the clutch too much, or just dump it causing the car to jerk takes a bit of time and practice, but it's not difficult. In fact I would say that driving a manual is easier than playing most racing games like GT5.

Just remember not to move the shifter unless you have the clutch pressed down and you'll be fine. That's the only part that can really cause damage.

Forum Guru

You will never find a paddle shift with a clutch pedal. You will never find a paddle shifter that doesn't have an automatic setting. In F1 they called them "semi-automatic gearboxes" but what it really comes down to is an automatic transmission with electronic shift control. Press a button and it changes gears, or put it in the automatic setting and it will shift for you, but either way the actual clutch work and shifting is performed automatically, you just press a button.

It's no different from the 2013 Mustangs which have manual shift buttons on their automatic transmissions.

I’m sure you didn’t mean to say _only_ dual clutch autos have paddle shifters (re: the automatic C6 Vette and Tiptronic Porsche both have paddle shifters and neither is a dual clutch).

I agree if you sort of abstract cars with paddle shifters they all have the same general characteristics: no clutch pedal, full automatic mode, etc. I think he was differentiating the same way I was in cars with paddle shifters and a traditional automatic (i.e., torque converter/planetary gears) and a car like a GT-R, Porsche with PDK that has a design like a manual transmission (even sometimes called an automated manual) and kind of inherits much of the same perks like quicker shifting, less parasitic loss through the driveline and whatnot.

Forum Sage

BMW's SMG (among others) says hi.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electro...l_transmission

Yes its true that none of these transmissions have traditional clutches like you will find in cars with a traditional manual.

But not all systems are completely automated.

You have designs like the current camry transmission and its paddle shifters, which is essentially a standard automatic with the ability to change gears without waiting for the transmission to automatically do so.

This system is also used on other cars (manumatics/tiptronic) (like Mercedes) does with their 7speed transmissions which allows the driver to shift with paddles/buttons, but is still a conventional auto.

Then you have your standard dual clutch gearbox. Common names are DSG (typically used by audi) and PDK by Porsche.

These are semi automatic transmissions. They allow for complete manual shifting (with automated clutches), but typically have automated modes for convenience.

Then you have Electrohydraulic manual transmissions which also use an automated clutch, but can be made to only allow for manual shifting (no automatic modes) This is rare though since the point of automated clutch systems is convenience, so automated modes are usually.

The main difference between these sorts of transmissions is whether the transmission in question uses a torque converter (like the camry/MB/tiptronic systems I mentioned) or whether the transmission makes use of one or more automated clutches. (which would be a true semi automatic transmission)

For the true semi-auto transmissions, some only allow for sequential gear changes (typically the earlier designs), while others allow you to select any gear at will.

My point is there are paddle shifter gearboxes that only allow for maul shifts (excluding the automated clutch), though they are fairly rare today.

So, yes most people would be slightly wrong to say most paddle shift transmissions are manuals (in the case of automated clutch systems), completely wrong in the case of torque converter transmissions and correct in the case of the rare automated clutch system with manual shifts only.

Remember most people define manual shifting as when the driver changes gears themselves, not necessarily involving the use of a clutch that is also manually actuated.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    (Psst: The Black Wolf is a she)

Ughhh, I did it again. I even remember saying I had no idea she was a girl. I completely forgot again and now my cherry popped comment is out of line, with a hint of embarrassment.

My apologies.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    ?
    Yeah, there was a snake or two outside in the parking lot.

Edit:
    Thank you guys for congratulating me!
    Last edited by The Black Wolf; 04-12-2012 at 19:41.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Master Guru

Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Incorrect... not surprisingly either.
    yea....it was a joke.

'not surprisingly either' lol get over yourself.
    Last edited by Pez_555; 04-12-2012 at 21:01.
    Wii # 8752-0092-2306-9612
    PSN ID : pez555

Forum Overseer
    Good job! Now you can do donuts in busy intersections.

I think you can get a lot of cars with manual but people choose not to. I'd like to learn manual but I'm nervous I'll totally destroy the engine shifting incorrectly.
    I didn't think you could destroy the engine...all it'd do is slow the car down because you aren't riding fast enough...if you go reverse...well you could do that with an auto as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    How can a guy get his cherry popped?

Do guys have a cherry?

Could someone kindly lead me to where my cherry is? I'd like to see if it's been popped yet or not.
    Last edited by Omar; 04-12-2012 at 23:39.

Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    well if you put a car into 1st gear when travelling at 70 or more MPH it might do it.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-12-2012 at 23:37.

Thread Information