Latest PSU headlines:

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Demon's Souls Going Offline End Of May

After numerous extensions, ATLUS confirmed it will finally turn off the North American servers for Demon's Souls on May 31, 2012.

The servers will officially turn off at 11:59 PM PST. ATLUS says the single-player portion of the game will remain unaffected. The company will have two separate World Tendency events next month, May 1-15 and May 16-31, based on fan voting.

ATLUS encourages all players to sign on May 31 one last time before saying goodbye.

Below is a statement sent to Game Informer by ATLUS VP of sales and marketing Tim Pivnicny:

On October 6, 2009, North American gamers’ expectations of what an online roleplaying experience could be were forever changed. With Demon’s Souls, gamers received a title of breathtaking scope and vision, a project built on experimental cooperative and competitive multiplayer concepts, offering users both direct and indirect methods of communication and interaction. Elements of every connected player’s single player world carried into the worlds of others, sometimes as nothing more than an echo or afterimage, and other times in the form of an alliance or invasion. With countless hazards to memorize and plan for spread across each of the game’s sprawling dozen-plus worlds, the ability for players to leave hints—or, potentially, deceptions—and to view the final moments of other adventurers’ lives, created an unprecedented form of RPG crowd-sourcing that remains revolutionary to this day.

When subtle interactions were insufficient assistance, players could call across dimensions for assistance, pulling the weakened spirit forms of other adventurers—unable to communicate using conventional voice chat in order to preserve the game’s intense atmosphere—into their worlds to help them defeat the game’s unforgettable boss monsters. Other less altruistic spirit form users could invade the world of living adventurers and try to revive themselves by quite literally stealing that life from another. All of these online elements, all of the ways in which gamers would interact with each other, served to enhance and complement the core game and were designed so as to neither diminish nor distract from the experience and thrill of simply playing the game.

It has been a tremendous honor and privilege for all of our staff at ATLUS to have been involved with so innovative and groundbreaking an interactive entertainment experience. We poured our heart and soul into every facet of our involvement with Demon’s Souls, particularly the title’s memorable Deluxe Edition, which served as the only avenue through which to purchase the game’s official strategy guide. It was also of the utmost importance for us to sustain the game’s online experience as long as possible, even beyond the point at which sales could help to offset the expense. Regrettably, the online servers cannot be sustained forever and now the end draws near.

Thank you to the unparalleled passion and support of the Demon’s Souls community throughout these last two and a half years. The online adventure may end soon, but the memory of it—just like that of every boss strategy, every level floor plan, and hidden secret—lives on in the gamers for whom the game was so special.

Long live Boletaria!
    Source
    Great game and cool online concept, but i never cared much for the online part.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Demons souls is one of my favourite games and the online was truly something different.

I guess that's the trouble with online games they need to be shut down sometime.

Though there is no mention of European servers (possibly because the game came out later here) so I'll give the game a final run when those ones are about to close down

Via Tapatalk

PS4/PS3/X360/WiiU/PC/3DS/PSV

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Thank God ATLUS didn't publish the game here so I can play.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Noooooooo! I just got it. Now I'm gonna be lost without those notes

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Quote Originally Posted by mooninites View Post
    Noooooooo! I just got it. Now I'm gonna be lost without those notes

You still have over 2 months, the notes feature was great.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.

Forum Sage
    Yet people still argue for dedicated servers (which can be tied into mandatory server logins for a game). Hmm.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuvian View Post
    You still have over 2 months, the notes feature was great.
    The feature is useful and i think I'll need longer then that. Took me about a week to beat the second boss because i didn't know how to power up lol.

Thread Information