Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
Results 26 to 50 of 87
  1. #26
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,780
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    58,512 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I hate $#@!ing options!!!!!!

    TapaTit
    I know. They always suck.

  2. #27
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,524
    Rep Power
    55
    Points
    3,934 (0 Banked)
    Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    lol..What fuss? People are only voicing their opinion on the integration with Skyrim. I think most people are aware of the many kinect mods that exist. The point of the Op's post was to show how kinect support was coming to Skyrim and nothing more. I don't own Skyrim yet but it seems to be something that will be welcomed by some.

    if you want theses features with the 360 version then kinect is necessary. And who is pushing it? Its optional.
    MS is pushing it, of course. Who else would be hyped to lock in voice commands as a Kinect exclusive? I really
    doubt Bethesda guys woke up one morning and said hey let's do voice commands but only for Kinect, forget about
    everybody else with a microphone (just about every 360 owner...)

    Don't get me wrong, the voice command and inventory stuff is really cool.

  3. #28
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    106,591 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I still don't see your point. You can still play the game without it. What angers you the most?..Is it that the feature itself exists or that its exclusive to kinect owners? Either way its still Skyrim with voice commands.
    Ok, I'll make it clearer:

    This 'option' is only available if your purchased the very expensive Kinect. Regular 360 owners can't use this, even though merely having a mic would make it possible.


  4. #29
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,780
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    58,512 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Ok, I'll make it clearer:

    This 'option' is only available if your purchased the very expensive Kinect. Regular 360 owners can't use this, even though merely having a mic would make it possible.
    Then regular 360 owners can go get a cheap mic and have at it. It shouldn't be too hard to pull off since its "nothing special".

  5. #30
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    106,591 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Then regular 360 owners can go get a cheap mic and have at it. It shouldn't be too hard to pull off since its "nothing special".
    Ok, this statement is nonsensical. How would this not be hard to pull off on an Xbox? You do realize it's a closed box system right? And all that it entails?

    It's not like you could use your mic and scream incoherently into it while playing Skyrim on the 360 and expect something to happen. This voice system is locked to the Kinect only by the developers. Thus tempting you to go buy an expensive peripheral for a technology that has been used in gaming for well over a decade.

    It isn't new, it isn't amazing. Microsoft is now trying to push Kinect integration (through unknown incentives to the devs) by rebranding this common technology as a "Kinect feature" and only allowing it through use with Kinect on select Xbox 360 titles like Skryim.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 04-14-2012 at 22:56.


  6. #31
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,210
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,368 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I have to agree there. but still a cool feature nonetheless.

    Kinect could have a superior mic system than regular mics though...if it is accurate in understanding the commands.

  7. #32
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,780
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    58,512 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Ok, this statement is nonsensical. How would this not be hard to pull off on an Xbox? You do realize it's a closed box system right? And all that it entails?

    It's not like you could use your mic and scream incoherently into it while playing Skyrim on the 360 and expect something to happen. This voice system is locked to the Kinect only by the developers. Thus tempting you to go buy an expensive peripheral for a technology that has been used in gaming for well over a decade.

    It isn't new, it isn't amazing. Microsoft is now trying to push Kinect integration (through unknown incentives to the devs) by rebranding this common technology as a "Kinect feature" and only allowing it through use with Kinect on select Xbox 360 titles like Skryim.
    I still don't see what you argument is. Are you trying to convince people that this isn't new technology? Or are you saying MS is pulling a fast one here by branding this a Kinect feature? Voice technology has been around for many years but the way they are using it along with the 360 and some games is very unique. Can it be done by others? Absolutely, it can. But for now, they can lay claim because this is a "Kinect feature" and its only being done by the device for this particular game.

  8. #33
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    106,591 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I still don't see what you argument is. Are you trying to convince people that this isn't new technology? Or are you saying MS is pulling a fast one here by branding this a Kinect feature? Voice technology has been around for many years but the way they are using it along with the 360 and some games is very unique. Can it be done by others? Absolutely, it can. But for now, they can lay claim because this is a "Kinect feature" and its only being done by the device for this particular game.
    Both. It's not new technology and they're pulling a fast one by labeling it a Kinect feature.

    Nothing in this Skyrim video is unique or in anyway exclusive secret Kinect technology.


  9. #34
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,210
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,368 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I still don't see what you argument is. Are you trying to convince people that this isn't new technology? Or are you saying MS is pulling a fast one here by branding this a Kinect feature? Voice technology has been around for many years but the way they are using it along with the 360 and some games is very unique. Can it be done by others? Absolutely, it can. But for now, they can lay claim because this is a "Kinect feature" and its only being done by the device for this particular game.
    The only new thing I could see is accuracy...which I'm not sure if Kinect sports it better than other cams or not.

    It's cool that they're implementing this feature though, but if you're talking from the perspective of it being new and unique...then unless it's really accurate in understanding commands, it's none of those and something I have done back in 2002 on SOCOM 1. But again, still cool that it's being implemented. Sort of like dedicated servers for a video game. Not all games have those, is it unique or new? No.

    It's definitely a "Kinect feature" though because well, Kinect is doing it lol...but unless it's doing something normal mics can't do...then the claim that only Kinect can do it on the 360 is merely due to the fact that they locked it only to that device.

  10. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
  11. #35
    Supreme Veteran
    claud3's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Agartha
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Age
    30
    Posts
    17,616
    Rep Power
    126
    Points
    331 (0 Banked)
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    No surprise, this was floating about before the release of skyrim...
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

  12. #36
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,780
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    58,512 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    The only new thing I could see is accuracy...which I'm not sure if Kinect sports it better than other cams or not.
    Who cares if its better or not. it works and that's all that matters.

    It's cool that they're implementing this feature though, but if you're talking from the perspective of it being new and unique...then unless it's really accurate in understanding commands, it's none of those and something I have done back in 2002 on SOCOM 1. But again, still cool that it's being implemented. Sort of like dedicated servers for a video game. Not all games have those, is it unique or new? No.
    Again no one claimed it to be new. Its totally unique because of the commands with out wearing a head set "for a console".

    It's definitely a "Kinect feature" though because well, Kinect is doing it lol...but unless it's doing something normal mics can't do...then the claim that only Kinect can do it on the 360 is merely due to the fact that they locked it only to that device.
    Just like saying a certain game can only be done on a certain console. I really don't see what point you and Vulgotha are trying to make. Its just a update adding new features to a game. Voice detection itself has been around for a while but the way Kinect 's software does it is very unique. Its actually quite ingenious. Its not perfect, but whats cool is that it can be continuously improved with software. Do we really have to have this Kinect debate again? I think we can all agree that kinect's technology is pretty good and will only get better in the coming years.

  13. #37
    Super Elite
    Minnzy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Posts
    2,270
    Rep Power
    68
    Points
    2,616 (0 Banked)
    Not sure where the confusions came from with what Vulgotha said

    "Let's make a 360 exclusive feature all 360 owners have the ability to use!"
    "Sounds good!"
    "And let's exclude them all unless they have Kinect!"
    "But don't they already have mics out of the box?"
    "Yeah but we're selling this as something only kinect can bring!"

    as handy as this would be as I already stated it's silly not to realise it for what it is
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

  14. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
  15. #38
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    106,591 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Exactly, exactly.


  16. #39
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,780
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    58,512 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnzy View Post
    Not sure where the confusions came from with what Vulgotha said

    "Let's make a 360 exclusive feature all 360 owners have the ability to use!"
    "Sounds good!"
    "And let's exclude them all unless they have Kinect!"
    "But don't they already have mics out of the box?"
    "Yeah but we're selling this as something only kinect can bring!"

    as handy as this would be as I already stated it's silly not to realise it for what it is
    So are you saying that they shouldn't of done the feature because everyone doesn't have kinect? If you don't have kinect then just play it as you normally would. If you have kinect you have the "option" of using voice controls.

    I'm sure the MS's Kinect SDK make it quite easy for things like this to happen. It would probably me much harder to do with a "out of the box mic". I bet all the 360 skyrim/kinect owners have no issue with this feature. Especially at that price.

  17. #40
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    106,591 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I really don't think it would be that much harder, no. You'd also hit a much larger audience with this feature if you enabled the ability to use mics.

    But that's not the point. It's a sales gimmick. A PR move.

    You're saying "oh this is great, now we have options!" I look at it as "Oh look, a cool idea that is locked to a very pricey peripheral that I have zero interest in (for a variety of reasons etc). Guess I have to miss out."

    I mean, I use the PC so w\e I get all the mods for free obviously.

    But 360 gamers, the majority that don't have kinect, get screwed out of this option.


  18. #41
    Superior Member
    TEJ2025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    679
    Rep Power
    31
    Points
    1,603 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I really don't think it would be that much harder, no. You'd also hit a much larger audience with this feature if you enabled the ability to use mics.

    But that's not the point. It's a sales gimmick. A PR move.

    You're saying "oh this is great, now we have options!" I look at it as "Oh look, a cool idea that is locked to a very pricey peripheral that I have zero interest in (for a variety of reasons etc). Guess I have to miss out."

    I mean, I use the PC so w\e I get all the mods for free obviously.

    But 360 gamers, the majority that don't have kinect, get screwed out of this option.
    Microsoft can do no wrong. /sarcasm
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

  19. #42
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,210
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,368 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Again no one claimed it to be new. Its totally unique because of the commands with out wearing a head set "for a console".
    Um



    Just like saying a certain game can only be done on a certain console.
    Technically that's both right and wrong. If we talk about the PS3 & 360. There's nothing you can't do on the other console. But yes, both of them will do better in particular games than others.

    But this is something that can be done, it's been done before.

    I don't wanna sound like a hater or anything because I think it's a cool feature to have and would only hope they did it on the PS3 version but you're spouting nonsensical things. So it may seem like I give a crap

    I really don't see what point you and Vulgotha are trying to make. Its just a update adding new features to a game. Voice detection itself has been around for a while but the way Kinect 's software does it is very unique.
    Explain how is it unique?

    Again, you threw out the first sentence I made last time...which is, if the recognition is better or if the mic is better...if none of those things are there then tell us how it's unique?

    Its actually quite ingenious. Its not perfect, but whats cool is that it can be continuously improved with software. Do we really have to have this Kinect debate again? I think we can all agree that kinect's technology is pretty good and will only get better in the coming years.
    I don't think I ever said that Kinect wasn't a good tech. In fact, I have said before that I'd rather have Kinect than Move. Although I have said that Kinect is more limited and the tech can never progress (other than accuracy) unless they added more things to help it navigate...there's not much you can do with it other than help a few chores or make minigames.

  20. #43
    Forum Guru
    ps3isawesome's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Age
    32
    Posts
    3,716
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    2,924 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Laughed at the quick load part at the end of the video.
    Vengeful is amazing<3


  21. #44
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,780
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    58,512 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Um




    .
    Nice vid. No head set but you still have to use a connected microphone. Nothing special about that. Its nothing more than Karaoke.
    Check out this vid from 1:12 to about 1:50. It shows how beamforming is used to not only recognize but follow your voice around a room.



    Voice detection isn't anything special but the way kinect detects your voice is unique. That video shows exactly that.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 04-15-2012 at 14:52.

  22. #45
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,210
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    103,368 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    Nice vid. No head set but you still have to use a connected microphone. Nothing special about that. Its nothing more than Karaoke.
    Yea except you can use the PS Eye OR any USB headset to play the game.

    Check out this vid from 1:12 to about 1:50. It shows how beamforming is used to not only recognize but follow your voice around a room.



    Voice detection isn't anything special but the way kinect detects your voice is unique. That video shows exactly that.
    Is that available on the 360 SDK? Is that what Skyrim is using? If so, then you're right that it's doing something unique (which is what I asked earlier), if not, then we're back to zero.

  23. #46
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,780
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    58,512 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Yea except you can use the PS Eye OR any USB headset to play the game.



    Is that available on the 360 SDK? Is that what Skyrim is using? If so, then you're right that it's doing something unique (which is what I asked earlier), if not, then we're back to zero.
    of course it is. kinect has been doing that since day 1. Skyrim is just normal voice but the device does know where you are in the playing space.

  24. #47
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    23
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    143
    Points
    106,591 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yea.. But how does that have to do with anything in this discussion? It's still using basic voice recognition functionality lmfao that video does not show anything unique apart from the fact that it tracks you using its optics.

    I'm pretty sure PSeye could do this, or a mod for the PC etc.

    This is not showing Kinect's strong suit in my opinion.

    Regardless, on the 360 Kinect is gimped. On the PC people are actually getting further traction with it because they're not limited to the aged hardware of the 360.


  25. #48
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,780
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    58,512 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Yea.. But how does that have to do with anything in this discussion? It's still using basic voice recognition functionality lmfao that video does not show anything unique apart from the fact that it tracks you using its optics.
    yes, its basic voice recognition but the method used to detect voice and where its coming from isn't normally how its done.

    I'm pretty sure PSeye could do this, or a mod for the PC etc.
    Maybe so, but could do and actually doing are two different things.

    This is not showing Kinect's strong suit in my opinion.
    opinion noted.

    Regardless, on the 360 Kinect is gimped. On the PC people are actually getting further traction with it because they're not limited to the aged hardware of the 360.
    Everything has limitations. Kinect gimped? No. Maybe a bit limited but hardly gimped. It actually performs pretty well and it will continue to evolve just like any other technology.

  26. #49
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    165
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnzy View Post
    Not sure where the confusions came from with what Vulgotha said "Let's make a 360 exclusive feature all 360 owners have the ability to use!" "Sounds good!" "And let's exclude them all unless they have Kinect!" "But don't they already have mics out of the box?" "Yeah but we're selling this as something only kinect can bring!" as handy as this would be as I already stated it's silly not to realise it for what it is
    Its a cool feature but what youre saying is true. MS is pushing Kinect by excluding 360 owners without Kinect from a feature that all 360 owners would otherwise be able to enjoy just by using their headset.

  27. #50
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,780
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    58,512 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Its a cool feature but what youre saying is true. MS is pushing Kinect by excluding 360 owners without Kinect from a feature that all 360 owners would otherwise be able to enjoy just by using their headset.
    What you guys are saying may be true but it could be more of a software thing. Kinect SDK make it easy because everything is right there in the software whereas using a regular mic they would have to create everything from scratch.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.