Latest PSU headlines:

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst ... 3 ... LastLast
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    What you guys are saying may be true but it could be more of a software thing. Kinect SDK make it easy because everything is right there in the software whereas using a regular mic they would have to create everything from scratch.
    No.

Extreme Poster
    of course it is. kinect has been doing that since day 1. Skyrim is just normal voice but the device does know where you are in the playing space.
    Then why are you passing it off as a unique feature?

yes, its basic voice recognition but the method used to detect voice and where its coming from isn't normally how its done.
    But that's normal...because then you could argue that every game is exclusive to a certain console and every program is unique. I'm pretty sure in-game messaging on PS3 and 360 differ...it doesn't make either of them unique. They're still just messages.

Maybe so, but could do and actually doing are two different things.
    You're right. Just like how they could be using beamforming but they're not. The difference between unique and normal.

opinion noted.
    But that's not an opinion. A basic recognition program being used on Kinect is nowhere NEAR Kinect's strong suit.

Look at the amount of things Kinect can do vs basic voice recognition.

What you guys are saying may be true but it could be more of a software thing. Kinect SDK make it easy because everything is right there in the software whereas using a regular mic they would have to create everything from scratch.
    I'm pretty sure it's not difficult. They've done this in countless other games. I think every SOCOM game except Confrontation (since it was online only) has done this feature and that started out on PS2. Zipper isn't all that with programming. It's just one of those things where you either have this feature or you don't. Like in-game music for PS3 games.

My advice is to be happy for the feature rather than arguing over why it's the best thing since sliced bread.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    I havent purchased Skyrim the Kinect add on makes it worthwhile. No mote pulling up menus searching for items commands and items.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Then why are you passing it off as a unique feature?
    Where did i say that? I said "the way it detects voice is unique" because it uses sonar technology.

But that's normal...because then you could argue that every game is exclusive to a certain console and every program is unique. I'm pretty sure in-game messaging on PS3 and 360 differ...it doesn't make either of them unique. They're still just messages.
    maybe, but if one does it a certain way and no other can't then its is.
    You're right. Just like how they could be using beamforming but they're not. The difference between unique and normal.
    Right. So kinect is using it to detect voice so that makes it unique. Maybe the eye could too but its not. Until it does the feature is unique to kinect and the xbox 360.

But that's not an opinion. A basic recognition program being used on Kinect is nowhere NEAR Kinect's strong suit.
    Then why did he say "in my opinion"

Look at the amount of things Kinect can do vs basic voice recognition.
    Kinect is basic voice recognition.

I'm pretty sure it's not difficult. They've done this in countless other games. I think every SOCOM game except Confrontation (since it was online only) has done this feature and that started out on PS2. Zipper isn't all that with programming. It's just one of those things where you either have this feature or you don't. Like in-game music for PS3 games.
    Who said it wasn't done before? I was just stating why i think this method was chosen over a normal mic. Its easier because of Kinects dev tools.

My advice is to be happy for the feature rather than arguing over why it's the best thing since sliced bread.
    You should take your own advice because it's you that seems to be bothered that this is a kinect only feature.

I havent purchased Skyrim the Kinect add on makes it worthwhile. No mote pulling up menus searching for items commands and items.
    I haven't got around to getting it either but the kinect voice integration looks cool.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 04-15-2012 at 23:51.

Extreme Poster
    Where did i say that?
    Here:
    Its totally unique because of the commands with out wearing a head set "for a console".
    I said "the way it detects voice is unique" because it uses sonar technology.
    You never said anything about sonar until this post. Although, I don't remember Kinect having sonar technology. Are you sure about that? And it's the only way it can do VR? Do you have a link for that?

maybe, but if one does it a certain way and no other can't then its is.
    Right and we're all unique and every single thing on this planet is unique because nothing is exactly the same. That's true but it's a very vague definition of unique. If the outcome is the same then it's redundant to say it's unique.

If it somehow does a better job or has less problems then I would totally agree with you.

Right. So kinect is using it to detect voice so that makes it unique. Maybe the eye could too but its not. Until it does the feature is unique to kinect and the xbox 360.
    Are they using beamforming in Skyrim? You just said that they weren't.

Then why did he say "in my opinion"
    Probably to take a more neutral stand.

Kinect is basic voice recognition.
    Not sure what you mean here. If you're telling me that Kinect can do basic VR then my answer is that I never claimed otherwise.

Who said it wasn't done before? I was just stating why i think this method was chosen over a normal mic. Its easier because of Kinects dev tools.
    You're putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about not being done before. I'm trying to tell you that it's a feature that has been done countless times before and so it doesn't seem as if it'd require anything special. The 360 SDK might have already had this feature. You wouldn't necessarily need the Kinect software to utilize this feature in an easier way.

You should take your own advice because it's you that seems to be bothered that this is a kinect only feature.
    lol read my first comment in this thread.

The only time I jumped in this discussion is when you were saying funny stuff.

Forum Sage
    Here:
    yes notice the quotation marks.

Originally Posted by Sub-stance1
    Its totally unique because of the commands with out wearing a head set "for a console".

If you are gonna qoute me you can at least cover everything i said.

Voice technology has been around for many years but the way they are using it along with the 360 and some games is very unique. Can it be done by others? Absolutely, it can. But for now, they can lay claim because this is a "Kinect feature" and its only being done by the device for this particular game.
    You never said anything about sonar until this post. Although, I don't remember Kinect having sonar technology. Are you sure about that? And it's the only way it can do VR? Do you have a link for that?
    Bean forming is a form of sonar technology.

Right and we're all unique and every single thing on this planet is unique because nothing is exactly the same. That's true but it's a very vague definition of unique. If the outcome is the same then it's redundant to say it's unique.

If it somehow does a better job or has less problems then I would totally agree with you.
    So what you are saying is the way kinect detects voice isn't unique because the outcome will be the same if another device does it a totally different way?

Are they using beamforming in Skyrim? You just said that they weren't.
    I don't know. You would have to ask Bethesda that. But I do know Kinect uses it to detect who and where you are inside a certain area.

You're putting words in my mouth. I never said anything about not being done before. I'm trying to tell you that it's a feature that has been done countless times before and so it doesn't seem as if it'd require anything special. The 360 SDK might have already had this feature. You wouldn't necessarily need the Kinect software to utilize this feature in an easier way.
    The Kinect SDK is what enables developers create applications that support gesture and voice recognition. Obviously you need the 360 one too(which most devs already have) but without the kinect one it wouldn't be possible.

lol read my first comment in this thread.
    don't need too. i know when and why this debate started.

The only time I jumped in this discussion is when you were saying funny stuff.
    Funny stuff like good things about kinect? i find it funny that others can say stuff like:

That's $#@!ing sick!
    Those command features are awesome.
    Exactly. I am so pumped for this, it's not even funny.
    Cant wait, will make the gameplay more immersive than going through menus
    My son was pretty pumped after watching that video.
    Is the tech exclusive to Kinect? No, is it $#@!ing badass? Yes.
    Then i come and say this:

Voice technology has been around for many years but the way they are using it along with the 360 and some games is very unique. Can it be done by others? Absolutely, it can. But for now, they can lay claim because this is a "Kinect feature" and its only being done by the device for this particular game.
    That's funny stuff?

Extreme Poster
    yes notice the quotation marks.
    What about them? I just showed you a video that shows you can do basic voice recognition in a video game. It's not the first time it was done "on a console".

Then you're talking about beamforming/sonar but at the same time you're telling me that Skyrim doesn't use that technology.

So then what makes it unique as you were claiming? Yes yes I know Kinect has the capability but I'm talking about this game.

If you are gonna qoute me you can at least cover everything i said.
    It was irrelevant. You passed it off as a unique feature "for a console" and now you're backtracking it to being an easy-to-develop-for feature.

So what you are saying is the way kinect detects voice isn't unique because the outcome will be the same if another device does it a totally different way?
    Umm yes! lol

Unless it actually does something more/better or accurate, it's redundant to call it unique.

Beamforming is unique but according to you, Skyrim isn't using that feature. So far we've come to the conclusion that the feature is only basic VR.

Do you think I should make a thread about how unique the PS3 messaging system is? Because I'm sure it's done differently than the PC and 360.
    I don't know. You would have to ask Bethesda that. But I do know Kinect uses it to detect who and where you are inside a certain area.
    What are you talking about? Your character in the game? I'm confused. Why would it need to know where you are inside a certain area?

The Kinect SDK is what enables developers create applications that support gesture and voice recognition. Obviously you need the 360 one too(which most devs already have) but without the kinect one it wouldn't be possible.
    And this game is not utilizing gestures.

???

don't need too. i know when and why this debate started.
    Funny stuff like good things about kinect? i find it funny that others can say stuff like:
    Then i come and say this:
    That's funny stuff?
    Yes, read that quote, you were passing it on as unique when it's just VR. Then you wanted to say that it was for a console but that was proven wrong as well. Now it's that it's easy to develop on Kinect SDK...

Ancient
    This would actually be a 600kb patch on PS3 and you just go to Mic options a click PSeye input.....did MS pay for this rip off people without kinect feature?
    Obviously I ain't too fussed, VR is, even now $#@!....and so is Skyrim imo, strongly imo( don't take it to heart)
    Btw is this for spells or something, I want a game when you can actually talk to NPCs, that be good
    Sent from my Sony Xperia S
    Last edited by TGO; 04-16-2012 at 02:25.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Forum Sage
    What about them? I just showed you a video that shows you can do basic voice recognition in a video game. It's not the first time it was done "on a console".
    When did i ever claim that? Stop putting words in my mouth.

Then you're talking about beamforming/sonar but at the same time you're telling me that Skyrim doesn't use that technology.
    This is a feature that kinect uses to detect your voice. You don't necessarily need to be playing a game in order for the device to use it.

So then what makes it unique as you were claiming? Yes yes I know Kinect has the capability but I'm talking about this game.
    I'm talking about kinect. i never once stated anything about skyrim itself being unique.

It was irrelevant. You passed it off as a unique feature "for a console" and now you're backtracking it to being an easy-to-develop-for feature.
    No i didn't. once again you're putting words in my mouth.

Umm yes! lol

Unless it actually does something more/better or accurate, it's redundant to call it unique.

Beamforming is unique but according to you, Skyrim isn't using that feature. So far we've come to the conclusion that the feature is only basic VR.
    When did I say that?

Do you think I should make a thread about how unique the PS3 messaging system is? Because I'm sure it's done differently than the PC and 360.
    go right ahead. Knock yourself out.

What are you talking about? Your character in the game? I'm confused. Why would it need to know where you are inside a certain area?
    Totally confused. I'm speaking about kinect. For the last time. Beamforming is used by kinect itself. This is what the device, along with software, uses to detect who and what direction voices are coming from. What i just described to you has nothing to do with skyrim.

And this game is not utilizing gestures.
    Did you even read what the OP posted?

Yes, read that quote, you were passing it on as unique when it's just VR. Then you wanted to say that it was for a console but that was proven wrong as well. Now it's that it's easy to develop on Kinect SDK...
    I wasn't proven wrong on anything. You seem to be arguing for the sake of it because you seem to not know much about Kinect and how it works.

This would actually be a 600kb patch on PS3 and you just go to Mic options a click PSeye input.....did MS pay for this rip off people without kinect feature?Obviously I ain't too fussed, VR is, even now $#@!....and so is Skyrim imo, strongly imo( don't take it to heart)
    Btw is this for spells or something, I want a game when you can actually talk to NPCs, that be good
    Are you sure about that? It seems to me that the devs are the ones who wanted this.

the idea to merge Kinect with Skyrim came from one of the game's designers after the its release last year. During a "game jam," where game designers are given a week to work on whatever they want as long as it is related to the title, Ricky Gonzales, a programmer on "Skyrim," came up with the idea of using voice commands to do things within the game.
    "He deserves a lot of the credit for putting the time in to get it to work and then working with Microsoft on some of the extra bits that they helped us out with," Hines said.
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 04-16-2012 at 03:20.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    I have to agree there. but still a cool feature nonetheless.

Kinect could have a superior mic system than regular mics though...if it is accurate in understanding the commands.
    Yes the only real advantage to doing this through Kinect is the fact that it has multiple microphones. Easier to single out voices from background noise and echoes. Then again so does the PSeye...

In other words: No reason it cannot be done with the plain old 360 headset or any other microphone. It might not work _as well_ but it would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Its a cool feature but what youre saying is true. MS is pushing Kinect by excluding 360 owners without Kinect from a feature that all 360 owners would otherwise be able to enjoy just by using their headset.
    ^This is my position on the subject.

Extreme Poster
    When did i ever claim that? Stop putting words in my mouth.
    This is what you said:

"Its totally unique because of the commands with out wearing a head set 'for a console'."

This implies that it's unique due to being done without a head set for a console.

How is that unique when it's already been done before?

Unless it's using it in a different way. Unique implies that it's new as well. Because if it's not new then it can't be unique! Unique is something that hasn't been done before! Or at least in that area. In this case, it would be the consoles...when it's not that unique and plenty of games have this feature.

If it was actually using beamforming or some feature that couldn't be done with a simple multi-array mic then I would say that it's a unique feature.

This is a feature that kinect uses to detect your voice. You don't necessarily need to be playing a game in order for the device to use it.
    But not in the game...so I donno why it's being brought up. We're talking about the feature in this game...not Kinect as a whole.

I'm talking about kinect. i never once stated anything about skyrim itself being unique.
    You claimed this feature in Skyrim being unique because of the way it's being done.

No i didn't. once again you're putting words in my mouth.
    Again: "Its totally unique because of the commands with out wearing a head set 'for a console'."

Then later on (backtracking): What you guys are saying may be true but it could be more of a software thing. Kinect SDK make it easy because everything is right there in the software whereas using a regular mic they would have to create everything from scratch.

I didn't put any words in your mouth. You're officially backpedaling.

When did I say that?
    Here:
    of course it is. kinect has been doing that since day 1. Skyrim is just normal voice but the device does know where you are in the playing space.
    After you showed me beamforming and I asked if it was being done in Skyrim or not.

Seriously, what's the point of talking about Kinect's features when we're talking about this particular feature lol. That's why you're confusing us and yourself this entire discussion.

Totally confused. I'm speaking about kinect. For the last time. Beamforming is used by kinect itself. This is what the device, along with software, uses to detect who and what direction voices are coming from. What i just described to you has nothing to do with skyrim.
    Yes, I know...that's why I kept telling you that none of that has anything to do with Skyrim...

Did you even read what the OP posted?
    Yes I did...but you keep arguing about this topic and keep bringing in Kinect features which has NOTHING to do with this lol.

I wasn't proven wrong on anything. You seem to be arguing for the sake of it because you seem to not know much about Kinect and how it works.
    Yea I didn't know about beamforming but you don't seem to know how to discuss things.

No one ever brought up Kinect...the only thing that was brought up was the feature in this game...why bring up all that when it has nothing to do with the discussion? lol

Wow...

Master Guru
    Hybrid Kinect support is the way to go. That's where my interest lies with Kinect.

Skyrim is going to rock with Kinect support.

Master Guru
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    This would actually be a 600kb patch on PS3 and you just go to Mic options a click PSeye input.....did MS pay for this rip off people without kinect feature?
    Obviously I ain't too fussed, VR is, even now $#@!....and so is Skyrim imo, strongly imo( don't take it to heart)
    Why you seem so butt hurt saying MS paid for this? It's a feature that Bethesda wanted have for the game but probably didn't have time to include it to meet the deadline.

uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Oh dear god.

Lets get some things sorted.

It can be done on Kinect, because the code is already their inside the XBOX. No extra DLL's or KB's of code need to be added save a line or two.

6kb or 600kb, whatever you want to say you need for the PS3 version to run it...WOULD BREAK THE PS3 VERSION.

Daym, they only just finally fixed the memory issues.

Resources required to stream in recorded voice on Kinect version 0%, its already on.
    Require don the PS3 verison..god know but lets assume a DMA stream and bit of SPU power.

I dont know how many times this has been said to you guys, but yes it can be done on ANY software but it requires RESOURCES.

Both CPU and MEMORY RESOURCES.

Memory Resources and PS3 version of Skyrim?

Lets not mention you would have to entirley retool your code to make way for a slice computing time to actually run the VR software.

This is a game not an operating system, you cant just "add an app".

Get over it, its not being paid for by MS, its been made simple enough by them from the get go so that devs could use it without having to worry about it.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

15. Likes F34R , Ghost likes this post
    Super Carlton
    PSN ID
    JMEWalterblack
    Items PS3 Slim360 SlimiPhone 4 BlackGears of WarGoogle ChromeManchester UnitedUser name style
    Is this really a big thing to you lot?!

I dont get why they would bring a novelty and imo, child like function to such a mature game?!

Thanks to Final for the sick sig!

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Quote Originally Posted by three3-times View Post
    Is this really a big thing to you lot?!

I dont get why they would bring a novelty and imo, child like function to such a mature game?!
    I think they are more concerned with why Kinect gets it and they dont.

The fact that it can only be done on Kinect seems to have ruffled a few feathers.

Maybe it should read "Can only be done easily on Kinect" should be more apt.

Me? I played thorugh the whole of Mass Effect 3 and never once issued a command to my teammates through my Kinect.
    I am no longer participating in these forums, I wish all of you on the PSU Forums the best for the future.

18. Likes Cuguy , F34R likes this post
    Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    Why you seem so butt hurt saying MS paid for this? It's a feature that Bethesda wanted have for the game but probably didn't have time to include it to meet the deadline.
    Butthurt? Lmao
    Nah, I would find it interesting if MS did paid for it, thou ya can never tell these days can ya, why?
    Wouldn't you find it interesting? I would
    Not sure about being butthurt, I don't even own the game

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by TGO View Post
    Butthurt? Lmao
    Nah, I would find it interesting if MS did paid for it, thou ya can never tell these days can ya, why?
    Wouldn't you find it interesting? I would
    Not sure about being butthurt, I don't even own the game

MS didn't pay for it, it was created by one of the Bethesda devs during that game jam thing they did where everyone was allowed to do whatever they wanted as long as it was Skyrim related. The fruits of this are already in effect, with the new kill cam for projectiles and magic, and now with Kinect VR both being things that Bethesda showcased.

PSU Technical Advisor
    I'm not sure why you brought up the PS3 version Mynd. The majority of the discussion was revolving around the fact that the voice recognition stuff in Skyrim could have just as well been done via the 360 headset.

Instead, you have to purchase Kinect to use this.

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    I think touches like this are nice if you already own Kinect but I won't go out and buy it just for this, I want more solid Kinect based games first!

Soldier 95B
    I think what people are missing here is how Kinect is beneficial to the DEVELOPERS when it comes to putting this in their games:

Now you can have thousands of games using one piece of voice recognition software, instead of thousands of recognition software bits being developed and added to each and every game. This is saving developers thousands, if not millions of dollars. It is also giving consumers consistency. One software application for VR on the Kinect works in all the Kinect games (or Kinect supported), works in all the TV shows, works in all the Movies, works in all the Apps, works in the search, works in the dashboard. The idea and implementation of this VR is very smart.

Input your keywords, and you are good to go.

As for the PS3, could it do VR? Of course. Every developer has to develop VR software for each game though. If you can build VR software at 600kb in size, and patch every game, have fun and good luck with that.
    Last edited by Soldier 95B; 04-16-2012 at 19:29.

Ancient
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    MS didn't pay for it, it was created by one of the Bethesda devs during that game jam thing they did where everyone was allowed to do whatever they wanted as long as it was Skyrim related. The fruits of this are already in effect, with the new kill cam for projectiles and magic, and now with Kinect VR both being things that Bethesda showcased.

Yeah, just saying it would be interesting if they did, I wasn't saying they did.
    And why would it be interesting?
    Well....I guess I find some of the stuff MS spend money on questionable. Hence why I said it would be interesting, cuz it's something silly that MS would do.

The real debate here is why only Kinect? Why no Mic option?
    The comment about the 600kb PS3 update & that was more me just saying it's not anything special, it just VR added to the game & kinect is the Mic, why disable headsets on 360?
    Other then to keep it as a 360 thing & try boost sales of kinect?
    It is weird how some companies work

Power Member
    Items User name style
    Because the sdk works only with the kinect input, not the mic.

That's about as simple as it gets.

For all we know part of the firmware routines for this reside in the kinect unit itself.

Forum Sage
    People complained that MS focused on too much casual stuff with Kinect. Now they give voice support to a big core title and people are $#@!ing because its only for Kinect and not regular mics? Really?

Soldier 95B
    People complained that MS focused on too much casual stuff with Kinect. Now they give voice support to a big core title and people are $#@!ing because its only for Kinect and not regular mics? Really?
    Don't tell me you are suprised.

Thread Information