Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 4
Results 76 to 87 of 87
  1. #76
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    166
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    People complained that MS focused on too much casual stuff with Kinect. Now they give voice support to a big core title and people are $#@!ing because its only for Kinect and not regular mics? Really?
    I cant speak for anybody else who mentioned the mic thing but I wasn't "$#@!ing" so much as I was just giving my opinion on what I think MS is doing here. But I've already stated twice that its still an awesome feature.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-17-2012 at 22:14.

  2. #77
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,957
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    61,665 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    I cant speak for anybody else who mentioned the mic thing but I wasn't "$#@!ing" so much as I was just giving my opinion on what I think MS is doing here. But I've already stated twice that its still an awesome feature.
    I know. It wasn't directed at anyone in particular. I just find it funny that some are making this out to be about a mic, when its really about kinect supporting a core title.

  3. #78
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,644
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    164,359 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I'm not sure why you brought up the PS3 version Mynd. The majority of the discussion was revolving around the fact that the voice recognition stuff in Skyrim could have just as well been done via the 360 headset.

    Instead, you have to purchase Kinect to use this.
    My point was adding it via anything other than kinect would break the game. I was merely pouting out that games are a delicate balance.

  4. #79
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,957
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    61,665 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    lol...no. It's more like insults towards kinect are common.

    But seriously, its more like complaining for some. Its just like the old saying goes"don't find fault, find a remedy;anybody can complain".
    Last edited by dc89; 04-20-2012 at 07:37.

  5. #80
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,758
    Rep Power
    192
    Points
    111,451 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    My point was adding it via anything other than kinect would break the game. I was merely pouting out that games are a delicate balance.
    Interesting explanation earlier but didn't they change Kinect to be software-based rather than hardware?

  6. #81
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    108,860 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    My point was adding it via anything other than kinect would break the game. I was merely pouting out that games are a delicate balance.
    Don't see your rationale here. Utilizing Kinect is not 'free' it requires the 360 CPU. One way or another doing this was going to require additional resources.

    i think you're operating under the assumption that the Kinect shipped with the onboard hardware to do alot of the heavy lifting for its features- it got cut down prior to launch remember? That's why all those awesome "NATAL" videos we saw from the Forza guys etc etc never came to fruition.


  7. #82
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,644
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    164,359 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Don't see your rationale here. Utilizing Kinect is not 'free' it requires the 360 CPU. One way or another doing this was going to require additional resources.
    I think you're operating under the assumption that the Kinect shipped with the onboard hardware to do alot of the heavy lifting for its features- it got cut down prior to launch remember? That's why all those awesome "NATAL" videos we saw from the Forza guys etc etc never came to fruition.
    It has its own firmware, it gets updated. It does some work.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Interesting explanation earlier but didn't they change Kinect to be software-based rather than hardware?
    Only parts of it.
    Last edited by mynd; 04-20-2012 at 06:55.

  8. #83
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    108,860 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    "some work" one way or another the 360 unit itself is carrying alot of the load man. Point is, this is something that could have still been easily patched into Skyrim for all 360 owners just by using a mic. resource allocation was going to be an issue one way or another.

    This is PR.

    Besides, if the PS2 could do it..


  9. #84
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,644
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    164,359 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    "some work" one way or another the 360 unit itself is carrying alot of the load man. Point is, this is something that could have still been easily patched into Skyrim for all 360 owners just by using a mic. resource allocation was going to be an issue one way or another.

    This is PR.

    Besides, if the PS2 could do it..
    I'm pretty sure trying to custom write in mic routines would be a hell of a lot more complicated than simply invoking and alreayd built DLL.
    Which is what , as I say I was getting at.
    0.01% coding resources, 0.01% game memory vs ???
    If it wasnt easy to implement, they wouldnt have stopped at just the Kinect verison of it.

  10. #85
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Vulgotha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Age
    24
    Posts
    15,953
    Rep Power
    144
    Points
    108,860 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Unless...


    Btw I'm not sure I buy your argument considering, as I posted earlier, there is a PC mod out there by regular chaps like us for voice commands.

    So how hard is it really?

    http://www.hotbloodedgaming.com/2012...-skyrim-on-pc/

    So no, I don't buy it man. Some nerd(s ?) was able to mod stuff to recognize voice commands on the PC using nothing but a mic. But I'm supposed to believe that this is 'too difficult' or 'significantly difficult'... Enough to warrant then skipping using mics (which almost all 360 owners have) to simply use Kinect.

    I'm skeptical and I don't think it's unreasonable to be so.
    Last edited by Vulgotha; 04-20-2012 at 17:57.


  11. #86
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,957
    Rep Power
    77
    Points
    61,665 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by mynd View Post
    I'm pretty sure trying to custom write in mic routines would be a hell of a lot more complicated than simply invoking and alreayd built DLL.
    Which is what , as I say I was getting at.
    0.01% coding resources, 0.01% game memory vs ???
    If it wasnt easy to implement, they wouldnt have stopped at just the Kinect verison of it.
    true. Also, having those multiple mics in kinect allows them to perform speaker isolation and better noise cancellation, which results in higher accuracy voice recognition. Probably not so easy to do this with just any microphone.

  12. #87
    Supreme Veteran
    mynd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Down Under
    Age
    41
    Posts
    17,644
    Rep Power
    162
    Points
    164,359 (0 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    Unless...


    Btw I'm not sure I buy your argument considering, as I posted earlier, there is a PC mod out there by regular chaps like us for voice commands.

    So how hard is it really?

    http://www.hotbloodedgaming.com/2012...-skyrim-on-pc/

    So no, I don't buy it man. Some nerd(s ?) was able to mod stuff to recognize voice commands on the PC using nothing but a mic. But I'm supposed to believe that this is 'too difficult' or 'significantly difficult'... Enough to warrant then skipping using mics (which almost all 360 owners have) to simply use Kinect.

    I'm skeptical and I don't think it's unreasonable to be so.
    Its all about effort vs reward.
    No one is saying it isnt possible to do, but in a closed box system vs PC, with unliimted memory via disk paging?

    As I said before its not about it being not possible, its about it being very easy to implement.
    Last edited by mynd; 04-20-2012 at 22:30.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.