Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Miyamoto enjoys Angry Birds, sees inspiration to create 'unexpected new things'

Shigeru Miyamoto loves Angry Birds, telling Edge that the 2009 mobile slingshot game is his favorite of the past year which may come as a shock to those who consider smartphone games a dangerous threat to systems like Nintendo's 3DS.

"What I like about Angry Birds is that it has a traditional videogame [feel] to it, but also a very creative side," Miyamoto said. "And you can really feel that they're having fun developing the game. That's what I like about it." Miyamoto admitted that he doesn't typically talk in interviews about non-Nintendo games he's enjoying.

Rather than express deep fear about the fact that phone games can be enjoyable, Miyamoto said he pays little attention to the medium. "I check up on them sometimes, but I don't have a lot of time," he said, before comparing the medium to his company's work. "I think we also have a history of having certain fun ideas and making a game out of it, and there's lots of other people also doing this [now]. This kind of environment inspires us to try even harder, and create even more unexpected new things."
    Source

Friendship is Carrots
    This is technically off-topic, but I don't see how why Angry Birds is enjoyed so much. It's just a five year-old flash game on the iPhone.
    Last edited by Nerevar; 04-12-2012 at 19:35.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

3. Likes Dave-The-Rave likes this post
    Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    This is technically off-topic, but I don't see how why Angry Birds is enjoyed so much. It's just a five year-old flash game on the iPhone.
    Same, I have no idea how my friends can get so addicted to it..it can't hold my attention at all.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    That's because you're not part of the target demographic. Casual gamers, or rather people who haven't grown up playing a lot of games, likely prefer playing Angry Birds because you don't have to invest a lot of time in a story or fulfilling quests.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-12-2012 at 21:20.

Thread Information