Latest PSU headlines:

Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

'Retake Mass Effect 3' donations remained largely with Child's Play

When thousands of people took to a Facebook group rallying Mass Effect 3 players to "demand a better ending," their efforts were represented by a "donation protest." The protest raised just over $80,000 in donations to Penny Arcade's "Child's Play" charity, and arguably contributed to BioWare's decision to respond with an upcoming addition to Mass Effect 3: "Extended Cut."

Regardless of the group's success, Penny Arcade co-founder Jerry "Tycho" Holkins halted the fundraiser. "Child's Play cannot be a tool to draw attention to a cause. Child's Play must be the Cause," Holkins said of hypothetical future efforts. He also cited Child's Play project manager Jamie Dillion as "buried under mail" from donors who didn't clearly understand exactly what they were giving money to.

"Apparently some of the people giving to the cause seemed to think that they were paying for a new ending to Mass Effect. She's been asked what the goal is, and how much they need to raise in order to get the ending produced," Holkins wrote. "We've also been contacted by PayPal due to a high number of people asking for their donations back. This is in addition to readers who simply couldn't understand how this was connected to Child's Play's mission. We were dealing with a lot of very confused people, more every day, and that told us we had a problem."

That doesn't mean, however, that all of those folks were demanding refunds. "Essentially, there were a handful of people who requested their donation returned, which we did. The large majority of the funds were not returned and will be distributed to the hospitals as normal. If anyone feels that they would like their donation back, we are happy to do so," Dillion told us in a recent email.

Despite some initial confusion, the donations situation seems to have worked out. Dillion and Child's Play are still happy to offer refunds to folks who didn't realize where their money was going. The biggest issue, she said, was parsing regular refunds and PayPal disputes from the "Retake Mass Effect" campaign. "PayPal disputes are not uncommon people have stolen cards, donate in error or a host of other things, and we are always happy to refund money. It does make it impossible, though, to pinpoint which refunds may have been from Retake Mass Effect and which are related to regular disputes."

While she couldn't give a specific percentage breakdown, Dillion added, "The percentage of money refunded was very comparable to our normal amount of refunds, and the rest of the donations will go to providing kids with video games, books, and toys to make their hospital stays a little easier." If anyone is still in the dark and wants a response as soon as possible, Dillion suggested they get in touch with Child's Play through the organization's contact page.
    Source

Lol.

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    lmfao

Ultimate Veteran
    I can see why people are disappointed with the Mass Effect 3 ending but you'd think they would at least know where they were donating their money.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Hehe, i guess I'm the only person in the world that thought the ending was great and fitting.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Oh good lord.. People were actually going to pay for a new ending to the game?.

Master Guru
    Items Dark SoulsDemons Souls CoverDark Souls Cover
    Wish these kinds of "gamers" would get thrown out of the gene pool.

Pathetic and embarrassing.

Elite Guru
    Two things.

Firstly, why would you want to pay a company more money for them to give you the product you already paid for in the first place?

Secondly, why would you do that and then be brazen enough to ask for your money back when you realised you were donating to charity?

Lining pockets clearly more important...

Obligatory TapaTalk signature.

8. Likes Nuvian likes this post
    Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Two things.

Firstly, why would you want to pay a company more money for them to give you the product you already paid for in the first place?

Secondly, why would you do that and then be brazen enough to ask for your money back when you realised you were donating to charity?

Obligatory TapaTalk signature.
    This is why I love the industry. Some gamers will do the stupidest things.

10. Likes Wrath likes this post
    Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim

12. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Super Elite
    Quote Originally Posted by Nuvian View Post
    Hehe, i guess I'm the only person in the world that thought the ending was great and fitting.
    You're not, but many people can all be wrong
    Last edited by Minnzy; 04-13-2012 at 15:58.
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Suicide Season
    PSN ID
    Spikey456
    Items LuluFangLightningOlivia WildeLucy PinderMichelle MarshVita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Two things.

that's what i was thinking lol, tight bastards.

Thread Information