Latest PSU headlines:

Superior Member

Ps3 died ??? Need Help. Will Rep

Hey guys, Haven't been posting much latly n im only jumping on here to see whats wrong with my ps3. ( i know, its bad )

So heres my problem, my sister was watching a movie on the ps3 and it turns it self of automatically ( so she says )
    so now all it shows is a red light. i go to turn it on

The light goes

Green then blue with a yellow light next to it and then goes back to a red blinking light.
    I hear a beep, it turns on for 2 seconds before it turns it self off again?

Surly this has happened to someone else before ?

Any help will be appreciated

Forum Guru
    Items User name style
    What version of ps3 is it?
    Vengeful is amazing<3

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sounds like the YLOD to me.

I used these guides to get mine workign again but it only lasted about 2 months or so.

Last edited by keefy; 04-14-2012 at 11:22.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

4. Likes ImSiCkOfYoU wishes they had posted this first.
    Superior Member
    its the 40 gig version. latest fw, never messed with.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Yup its broken, save yourself a lot of bother and buy a new one. All fixes are temporary and not worth the hassle. Take it from someone who has dealt with it himself recently.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

7. Dislikes ImSiCkOfYoU is confounded by the utter nonsense of this most disagreeable post
    Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Its dead, get a Slim.

If you can, fix it yourself then sell it/trade it in towards a 160GB Slim.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuzzyreactor
    Nothing more exciting than bringing home a brand new console and watching a download screen for a hour.

yay, next gen!

Peaceful Warrior
    Items Ghost in the ShellTidusLightningBruce LeeAppleUser name style
    It would be more of a pain the ass to try and diagnose the issue and attempt to remedy it than to simply just buy a new one.
    "The biggest adversary in our life is ourselves. We are what we are, in a sense, because of the dominating thoughts we allow to gather in our head. All concepts of self-improvement, all actions and paths we take, relate solely to our abstract image of ourselves. Life is limited only by how we really see ourselves and feel about our being. A great deal of pure self-knowledge and inner understanding allows us to lay an all-important foundation for the structure of our life from which we can perceive and take the right avenues.

Power Member
    PSN ID
    Dave-The-Rave
    Items Final Fantasy XIIIFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VI
    Get it fixed once so you can deactivate it and backup your saves..then toss it and get a new one.
    Trophy-licious!

3DS: 3754-7606-9595

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    Yup it's done for. Time for a slim. Seems like all the original ones are failing

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Extreme Poster
    Don't forget to sell your blu ray drive (sold mine for $70), also the HDD+cover+screws for $15 and whatever else it selling out there.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    yup its time has reached rip to ur ps3 live everyone said get another

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Elite Guru
    Your PS3 has as people have already said, "Yellow lighted". Keep in mind that you can have it "refurbished" through sony for 150 bucks (they send you a factory repaired 40gb to replace the one you send them just make sure you removie the harddrive and replace it with the old one if you changed it) or go with the option of getting someone to reflow it for less in which case you get your old system back... hopefully and you can at least have the system back long enough to remove it from your PSN account and possibly back up some of your data before buying a new system (after doing a non sony repair like this Sony wont even look at it so it's useless to send it in after that.)

It's like what? 250 for a new slim 160gb? You dont have PS2 Backwards compatibility in a 40gb so it's not a big loss to upgrade. Sony will trade you a slim for the old machine though if youd rather not refurbish it for like 100 I think. if you'd rather refurbish there's nothing that says your system cant last quite sometime as long as you dont run it too hard. I've refurbed twice because I like having PS2 Backwards compatibility on my 60gb. My original system lasted 2.5 years, my second I think I killed it in about a year and a half with too many long, late night Mass Effect 2 sessions without paying attention to the high speed of the fan and possibly not having it in a decent ventilated space, my current PS3 is still working fine this year and frankly if it were to go again I'd probably still refurb it because I'd loose a lot of things I actually use in the 60gb model that are no longer in the slims.

The biggest downside is having to redownload all your content (if all you have is a 40gb drive and havent upgraded this would be not so bad a problem for most I have a 2/3rds full 320gb drive so it becomes a hassle until sony fixeds the download list to be more friendly to people redownloading old content) and the fact that the old yellow lit systems stay on your PSN account and can factor in to the system limit (currently 3 PS3s and 2 PSPs/Vitas) on content because you can't deactivate a Yellow light system from your account since it wont stay on long enough to perform the process. Eventually you will either have to ask sony to remove the dead systems (which would require you keeping records that show you had to refurbish systems) or use the online SEN account tool on sony's website to refresh your account, but this can only be used once every 6 months.

Good luck!

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    My launch day 120gb slim has so far been a champ, doesnt really have any hot spots even after 12hours of TV or 5hr Blu-Rays.
    A great advantage of the slim is the fact it has two optical lasers, one for DVD / CD and the other for Blu-Ray obviously.

Even tho these new Slims are butt fugly, its clear alot of design and improvements are inside it so hopefully it'll last alot longer.

PS4 has little to no competition.

Superior Member
    Did you Ylod turn on at all though? and why would it bail when watching a movie ?

Superior Member
    So i can swap it through with sony. Im in Aus. How do i go about doing this ?

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    It can happen at any time it most like happens after extended period of on time du to the solder melting and seperating the CPU from the board
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Superior Member
    So i can swap it through with sony. Im in Aus. How do i go about doing this ?

Superior Member
    Just called the Ps3 centre. Paid $175 for a re-furbished one

Elite Guru
    Wasnt aware you were in Aus. The prices I mentioned were for the US.

this will surely make your ps3 alive,but not for too long,http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kUaCoimoKTk

Dude its dead, you should've flogged it on eBay, i'm sure you would've got something for it.

Then just add a little more cash from your pocket and wollah you've got yourself a brand new one.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Syphon_Filter
    Items User name styleinFamousPSN LogoBattlefield 3NvidiaSteamPS3 SlimVita
Gift received at 01-31-2013 from BlackColeBattlefield 3
    I have the phat Ps3 60GB model and it died 3 years ago, I have sent it to Sony and paid 170 Canadian dollars. It still working fine until now and it has been over 3 years now, but the fan is making noise again which I think it will die soon.

CPU: I7 3820--GPU: Asus Gtx 670 2GB--Motherboard: BioStar TpowerX79--HDD: Seagate 2TB--CPU COOLING: Corsair Hydro H80--Case: CoolerMaster RC932 Haf--RAM: 16GB 1333 DDR3 Corsair--Sony Dvd X18 Player: Power Supply: Seasonic 760W--Windows 7 64Bit, Monitor: HP Led 2311X--TV: Samsung LED TV 120HZ Un40d6000--PS3 Super Slim 1TB HDD--PS3 Slim 750GB--PS VITA 32GB.

Thread Information