Page 1 of 14 111 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 331
  1. #1
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,782
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    58,542 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

    Analysts: Sony could defray costs by stripping down PSNís free services

    Sounds like a good plan to me.
    Analysts: Sony could defray costs by stripping down PSN’s free services, employ more “freemium” content

    As Sony CEO Kazuo Hirai restructures the firm with a renewed focus on the PlayStation brand, and looks to “increase sales” via downloadable titles and subscription services through PlayStation Network, analysts believe consumers may soon see a vastly different PSN than what they’ve become accustomed to.

    Spealing with GI International, Wedbush’s Michael Pachter said it was unlikely Sony would go the Xbox Live route with PSN by charging for it, but he does foresee the firm stripping down what is free and what is not.
    “I think it’s unlikely that they will require a fee, but think they will strip down the free version to multiplayer and not much else in order to encourage people to pay the fee, said Pachter.
    Billy Pidgeon of M2 Research agreed, citing the cost of providing networked services, explaining Sony could “defray those costs” while also benefiting from “the currently employed freemium model,” and charging for “enhanced, tiered and incremental items, services and add-ons.” He said that the firm should also look into partnering with more subscription services such as Microsoft did with HBO, ESPN and others.
    “The PlayStation Plus program provides great incentives for subscribers, and Sony can get more revenue from advertising, item transactions and specialized services to enhance specific aspects of online gameplay such as custom content and rules for use for individuals, guilds and other groups,” he said. “Sony should also move quickly to shift paid content other than gaming to the network.”
    However, Asif Khan, CEO of Panoptic Management Consultants feels Sony should go another route by not “making so many products,” as streamlining the product line “would lower costs” and help curtail the company’s “downright atrocious” profit margins.
    Khan also said he feels SCEA would be “better off as a spun-off company,” but Sony would never allow it as SCEA has “some of the best margins and earnings growth in the entire organization.”
    Hirai announced earlier this week Sony would be reducing its headcount across the corporation by 10,000 during fiscal year 2012, the restructuring process would end up costing the firm •75 billion yen.
    Earlier this week, the firm also reported a •520 billion ($6.4 billion) annual loss for the financial year ending March 31, due to additional tax expenses from the US.
    http://www.vg247.com/2012/04/14/anal...emium-content/

  2. #2
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,777
    Rep Power
    131
    Points
    6,481,468 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    This is what I suggested in another thread and is a great idea. The ability to play online with others should always be free, but all the additional stuff should be part of a sub service. Throw in and expand upon what was done with Vita's connectivity and other bells n whistles and it'll fly.

  3. #3
    Forum Elder
    Yungstar 2006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    tyneside
    Posts
    2,909
    Rep Power
    59
    Points
    27,357 (0 Banked)
    they really need to move away from free on-line and include it as part of the + package to start making the bug bucks and will probably introduce it with ps4.
    Last edited by Yungstar 2006; 04-15-2012 at 17:47.

  4. #4
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,981
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    42,781 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    This is what I suggested in another thread and is a great idea. The ability to play online with others should always be free, but all the additional stuff should be part of a sub service. Throw in and expand upon what was done with Vita's connectivity and other bells n whistles and it'll fly.
    Fragmentation of a userbase and inconsistent user experience is never a good thing.

  5. Likes keefy likes this post
  6. #5
    Elite Guru
    EHY893's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,542
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    26,088 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Fragmentation of a userbase and inconsistent user experience is never a good thing.
    I have to agree, the sooner they charge for PSN the better, they can then use the income to improve PSN to be able to compete with XBL Gold.

  7. #6
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,782
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    58,542 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    I have to agree, the sooner they charge for PSN the better, they can then use the income to improve PSN to be able to compete with XBL Gold.
    I agree too but at least this move may give them more revenue, but it still won't be enough to go against the constant improvements to xbox live. I say just charge for PSN. Gamers will $#@! but they will pay.

  8. #7
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,777
    Rep Power
    131
    Points
    6,481,468 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Fragmentation of a userbase and inconsistent user experience is never a good thing.
    How would the userbase be any more fragmented than what it is now with PSN and PSN+? If people can play and use mic for free...No fragmentation, unless gamer a is mad that gamer b's games update automatically and he has cloud storage and store discounts.

  9. #8
    Elite Guru
    EHY893's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,542
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    26,088 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    If everyone had to pay, they would. It would improve the service and no one would have anything to complain about (other than the fact they would now have to pay), but people will get over it and realise it can only be better for PSN. They should combine PS+ with the ability to play online and make it a single service. It only really makes sense.

    Sony could then improve the service over time and it will only bring good things to PSN.

  10. #9
    Administrator
    Ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Posts
    12,777
    Rep Power
    131
    Points
    6,481,468 (100,956 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Well I doubt it will happen, for the same reason Guild Wars 2 chose to remain sub-free; people associate PlayStation with free online gaming. Time will tell, but I'm pretty certain gaming online will remain free. If the bells and whistles are nice enough people will come on board. You shouldn't have to PAY to play games with each other, everything else...yeah you should have to.

  11. Likes Scrubs42 likes this post
  12. #10
    Soldier 95B
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sub-stance1 View Post
    I agree too but at least this move may give them more revenue, but it still won't be enough to go against the constant improvements to xbox live. I say just charge for PSN. Gamers will $#@! but they will pay.
    I am with you on this.

    TapaTit

  13. #11
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,754
    Rep Power
    118
    Points
    67,304 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I'm not paying to play online when I already pay my ISP, period. If they charge online then I'm done with online play. I have no problems sticking to just single player games, its how I've been enjoying games for the past 16 years anyway.

    But tbh all I want to do is be able to play online, have a friends list who I can communicate with via messages and use the Store. Don't care about anything else.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

  14. #12
    Ancient
    TGO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2006
    Location
    purgatory
    Age
    32
    Posts
    10,502
    Rep Power
    100
    Points
    12,737 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    This is what I suggested in another thread and is a great idea. The ability to play online with others should always be free, but all the additional stuff should be part of a sub service. Throw in and expand upon what was done with Vita's connectivity and other bells n whistles and it'll fly.
    Rule# 1
    Never charge for something that was offered for free/or should be free
    you start charging for the ability to download demo's or charge for the ability to buy off PSN( like DLC )
    it'll cause nothing but a $#@! storm, you walk into a highstreet shop you don't get charged at the door for the right to browse.
    And what about PS+, will that be a additional charge for extras?
    that's already 40 pounds a year, so they can't replace it because they won't benefit from it, the only thing they can do is put a additional charge on top, which will piss everyone off, and I'd expect an episode of Watchdog come from it.
    the only real option is to keep PSN how it is, kinda lacking & introduced a better service with more services & weekly content that PS+ subscribers automatically have access too as part of their subscription, with a cheaper subscription available for just the extra services & weekly content without the PS+ bonuses. for say 30 pounds or less

    "Xbox is about to become the next water coolerĒ

  15. #13
    Forum Sage
    MATRIX 2's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    D.C.
    Posts
    7,981
    Rep Power
    112
    Points
    42,781 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    How would the userbase be any more fragmented than what it is now with PSN and PSN+? If people can play and use mic for free...No fragmentation, unless gamer a is mad that gamer b's games update automatically and he has cloud storage and store discounts.
    If they were to just allow online play for free (and nothing else) that would totally mess up the online experience.

    On the 360, every gold (and therefore online player) has access to the same resources (cross game chat, parties, messaging system, ect.) Therefore everyone is equal and the experience is fairly consistent for all online players.

    With PSN you would have a bunch of online players that are not able to as effectively communicate with people that paid for those previously mentioned features. It makes the online experience inconsistent.

    Online gameplay is just too lucrative to keep free. (consider that MS makes at least 1 billion dollars every year just off of gold subscriptions)

    Sony need to find way to generate money for the next generation, charging for online gameplay is one of the quickest and easiest ways to do so.

    And people will pay, because they will not have a choice. (I highly doubt console gamers are going to switch to PC gaming)

    Charging for online gameplay isn't a bad thing, as long as the service is good. Or at least if the pricing is based on the quality of the service.

  16. Likes BBK.. , EHY893 likes this post
  17. #14
    Extreme Poster
    mistercrow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Texas
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Posts
    25,535
    Rep Power
    165
    Points
    169,417 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    If they were to just allow online play for free (and nothing else) that would totally mess up the online experience. On the 360, every gold (and therefore online player) has access to the same resources (cross game chat, parties, messaging system, ect.) Therefore everyone is equal and the experience is fairly consistent for all online players. With PSN you would have a bunch of online players that are not able to as effectively communicate with people that paid for those previously mentioned features. It makes the online experience inconsistent. Online gameplay is just too lucrative to keep free. (consider that MS makes at least 1 billion dollars every year just off of gold subscriptions) Good points and very true. +rep Sony need to find way to generate money for the next generation, charging for online gameplay is one of the quickest and easiest ways to do so. And people will pay, because they will not have a choice. (I highly doubt console gamers are going to switch to PC gaming) Charging for online gameplay isn't a bad thing, as long as the service is good. Or at least if the pricing is based on the quality of the service.
    +rep

  18. #15
    Superior Member
    TEJ2025's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Posts
    679
    Rep Power
    31
    Points
    1,603 (0 Banked)
    They should continue what they're doing now. Keep online free but start putting most (possibly all) new features on PS+ and people will start wanting to sub to it. Now if they do start charging for something that should be free I'll stop playing online. I can't waste money on something like that.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

  19. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
  20. #16
    Superior Member
    rich15's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    25
    Posts
    607
    Rep Power
    50
    Points
    2,089 (0 Banked)
    Sounds interesting, could be true.
    Oh Patcher predicts it? *Throws in the trash*

    Greatness Awaits

  21. Likes ps3isawesome likes this post
  22. #17
    Master Guru
    The Sith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Dallas, Texas
    Posts
    7,463
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    13,852 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogGuerrilla GamesNvidiaMaster ChiefPS3 SlimVita360 SlimLittle Big PlanetApple
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    I have to agree, the sooner they charge for PSN the better, they can then use the income to improve PSN to be able to compete with XBL Gold.
    The day Sony charges for online play you will see a massive exit of ps3 hardcore gamers that wants free online.
    I envision Sony putting PSN into tvs Blu ray players and laptops so the service just wouldn't be limited to gamers. Sony can make more money thru tv buyers that want Vudu Netflix Hulu Cinema Now by offering PSN to the mass consumers thru PSN subscription service.

    uuummmmm...Fried Beer iis a reality.

  23. Likes Scrubs42 likes this post
  24. #18
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,931
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    21,506 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    I have to agree, the sooner they charge for PSN the better, they can then use the income to improve PSN to be able to compete with XBL Gold.
    Thats the thing tho, Vita can do the majority of what Gold can do for free.
    I say keep the service free, I dont want to pay.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  25. #19
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    3,335 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by The Sith View Post
    The day Sony charges for online play you will see a massive exit of ps3 hardcore gamers that wants free online.
    Where will they go? They obviously prefer console gaming over PC and they will have to pay for Live if they switch to the 360, so they will stay. They will $#@! & moan & threaten to leave, but in the end they will pay. It works for MS and will work for Sony.

    Sony will start charging to play online. It might not be this year or even this gen, but they will explain how much it costs to run a service like this and to stay competitive with Live they have to make this move.


  26. Likes Mael Duin likes this post
  27. #20
    Forum Sage
    Sub-stance1's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    9,782
    Rep Power
    76
    Points
    58,542 (0 Banked)
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Dyack View Post
    Where will they go? They obviously prefer console gaming over PC and they will have to pay for Live if they switch to the 360, so they will stay. They will $#@! & moan & threaten to leave, but in the end they will pay. It works for MS and will work for Sony.

    Sony will start charging to play online. It might not be this year or even this gen, but they will explain how much it costs to run a service like this and to stay competitive with Live they have to make this move.
    That what i say. If some paid for the PS3 at launch as expensive as it was they will pay for the service. They may not initially, but I see no reason why they wouldn't come around. I say if you buy a game at 60 dollars a pop, then a once a year fee shouldn't really be that much of a problem.

  28. #21
    Ultimate Veteran
    mickice's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Australia, In a Kangaroo's pouch.
    Age
    27
    Posts
    21,931
    Rep Power
    128
    Points
    21,506 (40,000 Banked)
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I still don't see why we should pay at all, even if you do pay servers still get shut down on older games. You're essentially paying for a connection fee. I already pay one of those to my isp.
    I don't think SONY will add a online fee, just doesn't make sense too.
    Last edited by mickice; 04-16-2012 at 00:44.

    - Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

  29. #22
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    3,335 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by mickice View Post
    I still don't see why we should pay at all, even if you do pay servers still get shut down on older games. You're essentially paying for a connection fee. I already pay one of those to my isp.
    There is a lot more to it than MP game servers. They have to maintain servers for all of their content, movies, apps, music, etc. That costs big money and right now Sony is bleeding money. Plus, they could always turn older games into peer-to-peer gaming thus the games can be played on-line as long as there are others playing it. Most MS games are peer-to-peer now.

    Having a service like this is expensive and with Sony not making the kind of profit they need on hardware & games, they need to recoup the money elsewhere.


  30. Likes EHY893 likes this post
  31. #23
    Elite Guru
    EHY893's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Age
    29
    Posts
    5,542
    Rep Power
    67
    Points
    26,088 (0 Banked)
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Dyack View Post
    There is a lot more to it than MP game servers. They have to maintain servers for all of their content, movies, apps, music, etc. That costs big money and right now Sony is bleeding money. Plus, they could always turn older games into peer-to-peer gaming thus the games can be played on-line as long as there are others playing it. Most MS games are peer-to-peer now.

    Having a service like this is expensive and with Sony not making the kind of profit they need on hardware & games, they need to recoup the money elsewhere.
    This is exactly why I think they'd be mad to keep it free going in to the next generation. They won't be able to offer it for free if they intend to improve it because it just won't be affordable.

  32. #24
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    1,560
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    3,335 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by emmerich View Post
    This is exactly why I think they'd be mad to keep it free going in to the next generation. They won't be able to offer it for free if they intend to improve it because it just won't be affordable.
    They do always have the option of not improving it, but that is a very bad idea.


  33. #25
    Forum Overseer
    Omar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2005
    Location
    Addison, TX.
    Age
    32
    Posts
    30,272
    Rep Power
    190
    Points
    104,037 (0 Banked)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    I won't $#@!, I'll just go handheld

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.