Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Bioware Shames a Genre, Other Developers Take Note

Bioware Shames a Genre, Other Developers Take Note

Bioware has been in the news a lot recently but not for good reasons. Hopefully this might give them some tips on improving PR for all developers.
    Posted by Jonathan 'prisonedbeast' Bauer on Fri, Apr 13 2012 at 07:09pm

Bioware was very well regarded, but after what we saw with Mass Effect 3, the trust has been broken. This makes me want to ask the question: What should change in order for gamers to start trusting them again? I can think of a few things and this would apply to all developers. Communication is very important. Gamers want to know what is going on with the game they want to play. Next we have commitment, this is key for gamers to see because if developers don't commit to their own game then how can we expect them to put in a good effort. Lastly there is support, gamers want to know that their investment is going to be worth it knowing that the developers will support it with DLC and bug fixes. Looking at these three things let us take a closer look at to why they are important and ways they can be implemented.

Communication feels like a no-brainer, but this is still so uncommon with developers. Though it has gotten better over the years, it is still not at that professional level that more gamers would like to see. Sometimes having a developer Twitter account can only do so much for keeping us satisfied. Gamers are excited to know more about your game, if you can't give an answer, stating that fact is magnitudes better then silence. Wanting to be heard is something that all humans desire and it can go a long way in this industry. We see some companies taking charge here such as Valve by having a great relationship with the PC gaming community, this is not unrealistic for a lot more game studios to achieve. All it takes it a little bit of time and treating us like people more than treating us like just customers.

The next step to take in order to get some better PR would be commitment. This one takes a little bit more work to achieve, because having a producer hovering over you can make this less than ideal. One example of having commitment would be following through with promises, trust in your final product, and use discretion when listening to the community (sometimes the loudest aren't the majority). Being committed to a project will take a lot out of you at times but the pay off will be so much greater and the reaction will be more positive knowing you worked your hardest. For example we see the new indie games all the time that come out of nowhere and end up winning over the hearts of many, not because it was a AAA title but because of the work that went into it. A perfect example of this is Lone Survivor, the graphics aren't astounding and the game play is simple but just playing it you can feel the work and commitment that went into the game.

The final words of advice for developers is support your game. When you say you are going to create DLC for your game then create DLC for your game. If the game has a bug then fix it in a reasonable time, unlike Infinity Ward where there were a lot of glitches taken advantage of in the multiplayer for Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3, these took weeks to get patched out. I wish I could say that this was a rare occurrence but unfortunately it is not. I feel like the reason we are seeing independent games starting to grow more popular would be the love for their game and the continued support. A perfect example of this though not an independent title would be The Witcher 2. Released on the Xbox 360 and a huge free update to the PC version adding hours of added content that most people would gladly pay for, for a low price of free. I will also credit Bioware for making the new ending for Mass Effect 3 available for free when it gets released.

Looking at these things it should be easy for studios to get a better reputation, but they are just not quite there yet. Hopefully we can see more of these things taken into account as we move forward, and as for Bioware, there is a lot of mending that will be needed to repair those wounds. Next what we need is for some producers to put on a better show for the gamers instead of insisting on calling gamers homophobes.
    Link:http://www.fraggednation.com/article...-Take-Note-399

So it seems many have to learn the hard way or just go in blind folded and hope for the best outcome or just learn that mistakes will last a long time with the creators

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I do think that it was messed up to release free DLC for the pc users of The Witcher 2 when you know the 360 owners will have to pay for it. I also do think that developers are slowly losing the trust of their fan base. I know when I buy a Capcom game, that a month or 2 down the road there will be a better version of the game for sale. I also know that the second I pop my game in the tray I will see some DLC available.

The gaming industry is getting expensive. My question is this though. Would you rather the price of games go up to $69.99 standard price with free dlc? Or leave it how it is now?

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post
    I do think that it was messed up to release free DLC for the pc users of The Witcher 2 when you know the 360 owners will have to pay for it. I also do think that developers are slowly losing the trust of their fan base. I know when I buy a Capcom game, that a month or 2 down the road there will be a better version of the game for sale. I also know that the second I pop my game in the tray I will see some DLC available.

The gaming industry is getting expensive. My question is this though. Would you rather the price of games go up to $69.99 standard price with free dlc? Or leave it how it is now?
    Companies would charge $100 a game and still not give free DLC.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Trust has definitely been broken. Something which has been there for a decade or so has been broken based on their cowardice and hiding behid the media (sites like IGN batting for them when they're only wafre-thin excuse was "artistic integrity" ) regarding ME3.

Will probably not buy a new Bioware game for a long time. If I do, I'll make sure it's from the used game bin or borrowed.

Sad seeing I was one of their biggest fans.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Lethal_NFS View Post

Isn't that a lot to do with Microsoft's attitude towards DLC, though? If a developer wants to put out free DLC, why shouldn't they? Why should there be a barrier to free content that can win advocacy from customers? Why should Microsoft's decision mean customers of a completely different platform should lose out?

On your final question, I'd rather buy complete games right out the gate. Do away with DLC (which in many cases is just a bolt on) and return to full on expansions (for example, Call of Duty: United Offensive). I'd pay extra for expansions but there needs to be a reasonable amount of content in there. None of this 4 maps for 8 nonsense.
    Last edited by *goo; 04-15-2012 at 21:04.

Indoril Nerevar
    This is why I've been so selective with my purchases for years now. I'm sick of being kicked by these corporations and designer teams. Long live developers like Valve.

I feel like the reason we are seeing independent games starting to grow more popular would be the love for their game and the continued support.
    Truth. I'm finding myself enjoying these smaller titles more and more because the team behind them actually seem to care.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Isn't that a lot to do with Microsoft's attitude towards DLC, though? If a developer wants to put out free DLC, why shouldn't they? Why should there be a barrier to free content that can win advocacy from customers? Why should Microsoft's decision mean customers of a completely different platform should lose out?

On your final question, I'd rather buy complete games right out the gate. Do away with DLC (which in many cases is just a bolt on) and return to full on expansions (for example, Call of Duty: United Offensive). I'd pay extra for expansions but there needs to be a reasonable amount of content in there. None of this 4 maps for 8 nonsense.

This is largely determined by the hardware manufacturer/online platform holder and the publisher, yes.
    Awesome techno and dubstep! Visit: http://Solkrieg.com
    Latest Song: Lady GaGa's Monster Dubstep!

Thread Information