Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Proof that PC gaming is Cheaper than Staying with your Console

Proof that PC gaming is Cheaper than Staying with your Console

Posted by Phil On April 15th, 2012

Since I bought a gaming PC a while back, I have been met with people saying that they could never get into it because of the sheer price of making the swap. Since becoming a PC gamer however, things could not be more different. I have in fact found it in ways cheaper than console gaming and by writing this article I aim to prove this. In this article i will be looking at things over the perspective of 5 years of gaming and how much it will theoretically cost you. Before people pick holes in this, I have used the model of a dedicated gamer and not a 2 game a year person (COD and FIFA of course).
    Now that you have seen a nice pretty info-graphic, I will explain how this is true. So, in the next 5 years, you can sure as hell expect to have to buy a new Xbox and that will set you back at least £300 which in fact is quite a conservative estimate. I have made the assumption that this new Xbox will not break (a’ la Xbox 360 RROD) and will not be succeeded by another generation of console within these 5 years (getting pretty technical now). Of course, in order to play you need a monitor. This monitor linked here is a pretty standard monitor that will get most gamers by and will easily be high enough quality to last the 5 years.
    Next up are the games and due to the nature of Consoles, for each and every game you buy, a big chunk of that money goes to the console developer. This usually results in around a £10 price hike on release day games. The average gamer may get say 10 release day games per year and over 5 years this will be an astonishing £2000. This relies on the principle that the gamer is lazy and doesn’t search around for a good deal. Furthermore, I would say the average gamer forks out for around 30 old release / arcade titles per annum. Considering licensing fees, this will come to around £300 per year and £1500 over the course of 5 years.
    Accessories are pretty standard for the xbox being controllers, headsets and other bits and bobs you pick up along the way. 4 controllers, 2 headsets and 2 play and charge kits over the course of 5 years will take you to around £200. Xbox Live is also a considerable cost that gamers face today and at £40 a year (again presuming the gamer is lazy and doesn’t search around for good deals), this will amount to £200 over 5 years.

Onto the PC and the most significant cost is easily the PC itself. A standard PC build such as this model here with a GTX 560 instead of the GTX 550ti costs around £800 and can run games such as Battlefield 3 with ease (without anti-aliasing provided) and will last you easily 5 years.

Onto the games side of things, without those pesky licensing fees, you will only need to pay around £30 for the average release day title with amounts to £1500 over 5 years taking the model stated from the previous example. Furthermore, with services such as Steam, older games will also be much cheaper than Xbox counterparts and not considering the AMAZING deals that are on steam, I would say that 30 older games would set you back around £200 per year. This amounts to £1000 over 5 years. Accessories may be a bit more expensive for the PC but if you buy smart, they will easily last you 5 years. £300 would easily be a justified amount for keyboards, mice and headsets for 5 years of gaming.

So, there you go, proof beyond reasonable doubt that PC gaming is cheaper than sticking with your console (and looks much nicer too).
    Link:http://theplayvault.com/wp/2012/04/1...-your-console/

This i do not agree with... Because with a console you do not have to by a new graphic card, New Ram, New extra space etc etc.... To make games preform better...

So i feel its the other way round
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    PC will always be more expensive. More money for less games.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    you see i am not the only one that disagrees with this dude that made this blog
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    you see i am not the only one that disagrees with this dude that made this blog

I think the writer is just another PC fanboy trying to hold on to something that is not there anymore. PC gaming was #1 till about 2005-2006. The new consoles are just too close in comparison now.

I can honestly say that achievements and trophies really drew me away from PC gaming as well. And I was tired of trying to always have the best video card in my computer lol.

Extreme Poster
    Wow...I like how he adds Live costs and yet takes out upgrade costs on PC.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    its just he thinks its so must cheaper, when it is not

Ultimate Veteran
    The point of building your own PC is that you can put down the amount you want for how long you want it to be future-proof. For the price of a newly-released 'next-gen home console' (600 dollars), a PC can run games like Battlefield 3 on their highest settings and other games of the same quality for the next 3 to 5 years, whereas with consoles you're stuck playing the same games on their lower settings, at a lower resolution, without the latest PC technology for as long as companies like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo allow.

You can also buy current, as well as last-gen, titles for a lower price through free services like Steam. Of course what games you purchase depend on the developers and publishers willing to release them on more than one platform. There are a lot more indie titles available as well. PC games? Decide for yourself.

When it comes to keeping up with, if not outperforming current-gen consoles, graphics cards aren't that expensive. You can pick up a GTX 560 nowadays for 200 dollars. A sufficient PSU to accompany it? 40 to 50 dollars. Supposedly RAM is also pretty cheap. Of course you also need to keep in mind that a PC performs a lot more tasks than your average home console at any given time.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-15-2012 at 18:08.

Super Elite
    Don't bother blacksite, seriously you won't get through to people. They honestly think PC parts rust and must be replaced every second day and cost millions each

For example, look at this quote

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post
    Wow...I like how he adds Live costs and yet takes out upgrade costs on PC.
    They simply cannot grasp the fact a well built PC lasts as long as a consoles life unless you want your already superior system to put an extra bit of AA on some random game.

In saying that more ignorance about PC gamers shows, Framerate freaks and PC gamers are completely different, I could upgrade... But I don't need to at all (Well my GPU is old and I think it's on the fritz) and don't plan to anytime soon and yet I can easily outperform my PS3 on everything from a technical aspect.

The only legitimate complaint I've seen about PC gaming is personal taste, every other excuse has dripped godly amounts of bull$#@! and what's worst, you point out to the bull$#@! artists they're wrong and all you get is more crap about being a PC elitist or some $#@! like that, it boggles the mind just how uneducated so many people are about PC gaming and it proves the biggest thing holding PC back is ignorance.

EDIT: Nothing personal against you SUFI for quoting you, your post is just the one I happened to click on to demonstrate the general ignorance of many people when it comes to PC gaming, most people who defend PC gaming (Especially on this site) love to play their consoles and it seriously can get frustrating constantly seeing all this stuff about how bad and expensive PC gaming can be when as a gamer or all systems I sit back and wonder if I'm just blessed by god that my PC doesn't rust every 24 hours
    Last edited by Minnzy; 04-15-2012 at 18:15.
    if I am in the PS3 or 360 section I will NOT post about the competitor just to please people, if you want to know what I think about the competitor link me to a thread in the appropriate section

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Minnzy View Post
    The only legitimate complaint I've seen about PC gaming is personal taste, every other excuse has dripped godly amounts of bull$#@! and what's worst, you point out to the bull$#@! artists they're wrong and all you get is more crap about being a PC elitist or some $#@! like that, it boggles the mind just how uneducated so many people are about PC gaming and it proves the biggest thing holding PC back is ignorance.
    Yeah, I would like to see more RPGs on the PC but, at the same time, you come across some really worthwhile gems like Amnesia: The Dark Descent at a time when you can't even find a lot of survival-horror titles on current-gen home consoles.

But like I said, it really depends on the developers and what kind of relationships they have in the industry. You could see a great game like Uncharted 3 running on the PC if Sony didn't already acquire Naughty Dog.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Blacksite View Post
    The point of building your own PC is that you can put down the amount you want for how long you want it to be future-proof. For the price of a newly-released 'next-gen home console' (600 dollars), a PC can run games like Battlefield 3 on their highest settings and other games of the same quality for the next 3 to 5 years, whereas with consoles you're stuck playing the same games on their lower settings, at a lower resolution, without the latest PC technology for as long as companies like Sony, Microsoft, and Nintendo allow.

You can also buy current, as well as last-gen, titles for a lower price through free services like Steam. Of course what games you purchase depend on the developers and publishers willing to release them on more than one platform. There are a lot more indie titles available as well. PC games? Decide for yourself.

When it comes to keeping up with, if not outperforming current-gen consoles, graphics cards aren't that expensive. You can pick up a GTX 560 nowadays for 200 dollars. A sufficient PSU to accompany it? 40 to 50 dollars. Supposedly RAM is also pretty cheap. Of course you also need to keep in mind that a PC performs a lot more tasks than your average home console at any given time.
    Don't bother blacksite, seriously you won't get through to people. They honestly think PC parts rust and must be replaced every second day and cost millions each

They simply cannot grasp the fact a well built PC lasts as long as a consoles life unless you want your already superior system to put an extra bit of AA on some random game.

In saying that more ignorance about PC gamers shows, Framerate freaks and PC gamers are completely different, I could upgrade... But I don't need to at all (Well my GPU is old and I think it's on the fritz) and don't plan to anytime soon and yet I can easily outperform my PS3 on everything from a technical aspect.

EDIT: Nothing personal against you SUFI for quoting you, your post is just the one I happened to click on to demonstrate the general ignorance of many people when it comes to PC gaming, most people who defend PC gaming (Especially on this site) love to play their consoles and it seriously can get frustrating constantly seeing all this stuff about how bad and expensive PC gaming can be when as a gamer or all systems I sit back and wonder if I'm just blessed by god that my PC doesn't rust every 24 hours
    Have fun with all the DRM.

And good luck buying a pc game through a traditional B&M/online store/retailer.

PSU Technical Advisor
    DRM isn't that bad man, not through STEAM atleast. Besides you get tons of mods for free.

More than can be said for consoles.

Also, games on PC are cheaper period.

I agree with this article. As it stands now console gaming is far more expensive than it needs to be due to mark ups by the console manufacturer and senseless charges (like paying a monthly or yearly fee for a service like XBL lmfao).

Forum Sage

^^ DRM isn't as bad as everyone makes out.

Plenty shops still sell PC games and online isn't a problem.

I'm in two minds, PC gaming can be as cheap or as expensive as you want it to be. Do you just want to play games to the standard of consoles then fine you could build that for fairly cheap but if you want to go down a 3 screen 3D beast set up then yeah its gonna cost you a fair amount.

I find i spend less money on game purchases a year but still end up with more games than if i was to buy games on the PS3/360.

Initially the hardware costs of the PC can make it off-putting

My laptop is more powerful than my ps3 and it only cost about $900 or something like that yet I still play my PS3 way more. It's just a matter of choice, preference, taste, amount of money you have, etc. But really, what is the point of this stupid thread? PC gaming and console gaming are in two different categories and shouldn't even be compared. They target different consumers with a small minority of the consumers buying both. I've been gaming now since the days of CS 1.6 and always viewed a console different from my computer that could also play games. Simply put, this is another apples and oranges comparison with someone trying desperately prove one is better than the other. Let it be and enjoy your PREFERENCE of PC gaming or console gaming.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    PC gaming would be cheaper for me since there aren't very many games that I'd buy.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    It's not the price that turns me off of PC gaming, but rather the fact that it in general has taken a back seat in the gaming industry and the PC culture isn't the same as the console culture. The console culture, to me, seems a lot more lively and exuberant. PC gaming sits at the fringe of all this, gleeful at it's performance superiority but bitter it's not in the lime light anymore (just my perception of it).

Even Carmack, despite his origin/legacy, has his eyes elsewhere these days.

Speaking of prime platforms, Carmack also made it clear that the PC, in general, is no longer one of them. "We do not see the PC as the leading platform for games," he said. "That statement will enrage some people, but it is hard to characterize it otherwise; both console versions will have larger audiences than the PC version. A high-end PC is nearly ten times as powerful as a console and we could unquestionably provide a better experience if we chose that as our design point and we were able to expend the same amount of resources on it."

"Nowadays most of the quality of a game comes from the development effort put into it, not the technology it runs on," he continued. "A game built with a tenth of the resources on a platform ten times as powerful would be an inferior product in almost all cases."
    There are 120,000,000 current gen consoles floating around out there, offering simple plug and play gaming with no technical issues or complications and everyone from 5 year old Jimmy to his 40 year old mum know how to set it up and use it.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    No longer do gamers have to keep upgrading because most are ported to PC so never actually make full use of the hardware..

Consoles have DRM now (multiplayer passes) they also have hard drive installs consoles are becoming more and more PC like.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-15-2012 at 19:22.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    No longer do gamers have to keep upgrading because most are ported to PC so never actually make full use of the hardware..

Consoles have DRM now (multiplayer passes) they also have hard drive installs consoles are becoming more and more PC like.
    Last I checked console DRM can't $#@! up the rest of your computer like DRM on PC games can.

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    Last I checked console DRM can't $#@! up the rest of your computer like DRM on PC games can.
    My PC still works but my PS3 doesn't.

Elite Guru
    Oh oh, I can see this thread descending into a battle of tit for tat. It's gone from the OP to high PC costs to buying at retail to DRM in the space of a few posts. Quite a movement of the goalposts in a short space of time.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    My PC still works but my PS3 doesn't.
    Because hardware failures can totally be linked to/caused by DRM.

Really?

Master Poster
    PC gaming just has a higher initial cost. From there the games are usually $10 cheaper for new titles, and it all depends on your spending habits and the deals you find.
    PS4|PS3|PS2|PS1|PSVITA|XBOX 360|XBOX|N64|3DS XL|DSi|Gameboy Advance|Gameboy Color|PC

Extreme Poster

You do have to upgrade your PC every few years if you wanna play the latest games. I know I built a decent PC for 2005 and I still could barely run WoW and WoW looks like $#@!.

You're going to end up with low settings on PC as well if you're not going to upgrade.

PSU Technical Advisor
    The only thing you really need to upgrade every two years or so is maybe the GPU, and even then that depends on the model you put in it in the first place

Memory and CPU? not really. PC games right now don't even really use multithreading or more than two cores anyway.

Extreme Poster
    But then we all know that motherboards keep changing and to get the cheapest prices, you have to upgrade those every couple of years. Or you're stuck with $#@!tier GPUs, CPUs and RAM.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    Cool Story Bro
    PC will ALWAYS be more expensive and I like to play games not worry about tweaking resolutions, AA, config files and drivers

Thread Information