Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go

Rumor: PS4 Getting Speech Recognition?

As it’s a bit quiet I thought I would have a nose round LinkedIn and see if there’s any juicy jobs postings. Turns out there is, regardez la liste des emplois.
    Sony Computer Entertainment America’s Research and Development department has a summer internship opportunity available. This intern will work within the Acoustic Analysis Group and the team is looking for motivated and enthusiastic students who will contribute to the voice recognition system and technologies for the PlayStation platforms.
    As the PlayStation 3 and PlayStation Vita do not have a ‘voice recognition system’ then it’s a pretty safe assumption this can only be for a future PlayStation product.
    The job listing was posted on March 29, 2012.
    Also lurking around on LinkedIn is a job listing for Zindagi Games, the chaps behind Medieval Moves and Sports Champions.
    They describe themselves as ‘A 2nd Party Video Game Studio working on PS3 and next generation home console’ so it looks like they are on board the good ship Orbis as well.
    Source: LinkedIn / LinkedIn

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/04/...h-recognition/

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

It should be interesting. I don't see why not. There are so many gadgets now that have good speech recognition you wouldn't think it would be too hard to throw it into a PS4 whenever that comes out. I just hope that when it does come out all of the games don't make you sit there and talk to your PS4.
    Currently Playing: Battlefield 3, The Witcher 2
    -- TigerDirect Coupons

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Does this mean that we might finally get, Eyedentify?.

Elite Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    Does this mean that we might finally get, Eyedentify?.
    As much as it'd be nice, I highly doubt we'll ever see it again.
    But this article is misleading, PS3 has speech recognition in its development tools from what I remeber hearing, it's just not built in like it is with Kinect. It's something you have to ad in software just like custom music but it's capable of it.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Sorry i posted this and did not notice
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Elite Sage
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DS
    Well, Singstar has voice recognition...don't see why it wouldn't be something PS4 shouldn't have!
    |My Playfire|My Deviantart|
    - SIG BY MY SISTER-

7. Likes AaronSOLDIER likes this post
    Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Sorry i posted this and did not notice
    Don't sweat it man. At least you are trying to post news.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Sony's next console has the potetial to be pretty badass when you look at the various patents and such coming up. 3D sensing eyetoy, interactive 3D with custom controller and 3D glasses, voice recognition, couple that with Move and Sony's first party under whip and chain to put the tech in their games... It's cool to think that the console could function by voice control...

*Ghost wakes up after late night game orgy*

-_- zzzZZzZz........ o_-........ugh......o_o........where's....the controller?......."Orbis on $#@!!"

10. Likes Kuro likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    Could already see the feature used so many ways..lol

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Lets hope Sony don't make the next Japanese Siri.

These days what every console organization does it add so many features to one console that it ends up turning in'to a monster.
    Back in the days all they did was concentrate on the gaming and for the console to actually play the games instead of putting 100 extra features in one machine.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by dreams View Post

These days what every console organization does it add so many features to one console that it ends up turning in'to a monster.
    Back in the days all they did was concentrate on the gaming and for the console to actually play the games instead of putting 100 extra features in one machine.
    Those days are gone. If your console can't be a hub of home entertainment with futuristic bells and whistles next gen...GTFO!

14. Likes Black Beast likes this post
    Dat Guy
    Items Protect yourselfNew User TitleTitle Style
    Quote Originally Posted by dreams View Post

wait wait wait

did you just say consoles are for games?

Thank you itachi

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Sony's next console has the potetial to be pretty badass.
    The PS4 will be badass. Book it!

17. Likes Nitey likes this post
    Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Those days are gone. If your console can't be a hub of home entertainment with futuristic bells and whistles next gen...GTFO!
    Agreed, it evens comes natural now, because let's face it whenever a new gadget comes out everyone's like howcome it doesn't have this feature and this and this and so on. So yeah the more features even if non gaming related the better because you put it the best way it can be put, people want a media entertainment hub withing a gaming console.

Elite Member

Considering that the Xbox has had voice recognition for years, and even Samsung televisions are now coming with facial and voice recognition, I would certainly hope that Sony would also have it. They will look pretty "last gen" if they don't.

Features like voice recognition, facial recognition, gesture based interaction, and 3D are not new of innovative at this point. Pretty much every new television will have them within the next 2-3 years, it would be rather pathetic if a next-gen console didn't.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    TAZ427
    This is stupid. The power to do voice recognition has been around for a couple generations, and it's be used to little effect because nobody wants to be telling their game system what to do. It's on our smartphones and the only time you see it being used is when you have a 'Friend/Coworker/Idiot' trying to show you how lame they are by telling their phone to do something that could be done quicker with a few swipes/presses, etc. The only time this is somewhat viable is when you're driving down the road in a car. In a gaming console, it's just lame as you're going to be looking at the screen and you're going to be using a controller at all times. That said, some games can potentially integrate it well such as telling an AI 2ndary team member to do something.

Elite Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ427 View Post
    This is stupid. The power to do voice recognition has been around for a couple generations, and it's be used to little effect because nobody wants to be telling their game system what to do. It's on our smartphones and the only time you see it being used is when you have a 'Friend/Coworker/Idiot' trying to show you how lame they are by telling their phone to do something that could be done quicker with a few swipes/presses, etc. The only time this is somewhat viable is when you're driving down the road in a car. In a gaming console, it's just lame as you're going to be looking at the screen and you're going to be using a controller at all times. That said, some games can potentially integrate it well such as telling an AI 2ndary team member to do something.
    Its not lame to me. I like using it to navigate the dash and while watching movies. Sony would be smart to get this too. I bet it would be a welcome feature for most PS3 gamers. I remember back in the day when people said using game pads for FPS games was lame and and would never work and look at where we are now.

vannawhites
    I hope so..but I think kinect can do that already..

Thread Information