Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style

Fon's Review: Nier

Platform(s): PS3, Xbox360
    Developer: Cavia
    ESRB: M

Not everything is as it seems. Human ignorance can be blissful but as a result, others deteriorate from despair. One's selfless act of "Heroism" is nothing more then blind judgment - Ignoring the facts, just simply charging through without giving much thought about those you are harming is the very essence of human nature and Nier teaches you(Or makes you realize) these facts about life. It gives you the sense of being just only to later show you the harsh reality.

This action JRPG released back in, 2010 and was developed by Cavia(Published by Square-Enix). Nier didn't sell as well as it should but that's mostly due to how badly it was built(And the usual poor marketing) - The game looks outdated much like many JRPG's these days(Japanese developers really need to get their hands on better engines) - Along with the poor graphics it is also cursed with a broken battle system. Your answer to winning every encounter?: Use the spear and spam the stinger attack - You'll be immortal for a second and you can use it infinitely. Your magic hardly does much damage anyways so that's pretty much your only option(It's that easy). However!, the boss battles play completely different then your average battle. The majority of them will involve dodging spheres of magic that are numerous and sometimes difficult to avoid, if hit you will be pushed away from the main threat so this requires a bit of strategy. Each boss is unique so try to learn their patters, strenghts and weaknesses. Some of them are easy to kill off so the spear trick will work but not all of them are as convenient as that.

Now I'll continue with the rest of it's flaws: Acquiring better weapons is a very tedious and unrewarding process; Quests are pointless and unrewarding; Fishing is boring and unrewarding.. pretty much anything extra that you want to take part in is just a waste of time(Trust me, you'll tank me for this). I won't go into much detail in regards to the extra but just the word "Unrewarding" should be enough to skip them(But if you're curious, try them out - The only quest I can recommend is the old lady in the lighthouse but other then that I can't promise anything on the rest).

Now the fun part and why Nier is one of my personal favorite JRPG's this generation: The flaws I mentioned above can turn anyone down. It did for me for a time until I gave it another chance(Which I'm glad I did). The story starts off in an apocalyptic setting(Cliché huh?). All you see is a ruined city covered in snow - A man and his daughter are seen inside an empty convenient store with nothing to eat. Besides them are two books with faces on their covers.

What brought upon such destruction?: Shades, an unknown evil that spawned on the planet to extinguish every living being. The father encounters them and defends the convenient store in order to protect his daughter but his power alone is not enough - instead he relies on the power granted by one of the magical books called the grimmoire. You will fight wave after wave of enemies until you've destroyed every single one of them. After his success, he returns to his daughter only to find her laying on the ground. The second book had been used and the little girl is cursed with black thorns that cover her body. Note: Don't forget the prologue. Remember it.

After the prologue you are taken into the future. It looks as if humanity has managed to survive but now live in wall-protected villages to shield them from Shades. The protagonist's daughter is still cursed with the black thorns so the plot is obvious(To find a cure for those who are still thinking). The journey will be long and arduous for our hero but he won't venture it alone - You will meet three sidekicks that will accompany you in your journey - All three are given great depth.

The game is broken down into two parts: One dealing with introduction; the other is the real journey that gives the protagonist a stronger resolve and one which you can sympathize with. After you've beaten the game, I implore you(Am I exaggerating here?) - to go through a second playthrough(You will continue after the introduction part(So that's like halfway through the game) - The second play will reveal the truth behind your actions and what you're really fighting. You will also view a different more emotional ending then your previews one so it's well worth it!.

Lastly the soundtrack: The OST is what makes the game more emotional and unique. The vocal artist sang the songs masterfully - She uses no known language other then her own words expressed by emotions. The instrumental score is just as incredible and powerful. This is the stronghold of the game.

The gist of it all: The game does have a good number of flaws from terrible battles(Except the boss fights which are actually good); to pointless quests and useless equipment along with outdated graphics. But the main focus here is both the story and musical score. The story will throw you a ton of twists and shocking revelations about the world of Nier(If you've played Drakengard then you'll be given more info about the prologue). All the characters have an elaborate and very unique background which you won't find elsewhere in today's games. I've praised the OST many times and will forever be etched in my mind. I strongly recommend this to anyone who is interested in a good story.
    Last edited by Fon; 04-17-2012 at 00:44.

I have to disagree with the terrible battles. Sure, its not God of war, but the combat has this old school vibe: You attack, something dies, you get points and you continue. battles are part of the journey, and have the same feeling as the assasins creed series, that is: Easy but not horrible. Bosses are original, though fall on the "easy" part. the ammount of imagination put into them is great.
    Also, a good ammount of optional sub quests have their own heratbreaking histories. Truly, a bunch of tearjerkers that enhance the melancholic ambiance

Also graphics are bad, but lightning is supberb. some scenes in the game look amazing because of the subtle lightning.

this is one special jrpg ...

Master Guru
    Quote Originally Posted by dhunter_12 View Post
    I have to disagree with the terrible battles. Sure, its not God of war, but the combat has this old school vibe: You attack, something dies, you get points and you continue. battles are part of the journey, and have the same feeling as the assasins creed series, that is: Easy but not horrible. Bosses are original, though fall on the "easy" part. the ammount of imagination put into them is great.
    Also, a good ammount of optional sub quests have their own heratbreaking histories. Truly, a bunch of tearjerkers that enhance the melancholic ambiance

Also graphics are bad, but lightning is supberb. some scenes in the game look amazing because of the subtle lightning.

this is one special jrpg ...
    No, actually in regards to the boss fights I completely forgot about them. You're absolutely right about the unique battles you're engaged in when fighting them(I will edit it when I can, kind of a fail for a review, Lol). As for the sidequests the only one that had any significance was the old lady in the lighthouse. Other then that, not much impact from the rest(There was this other one with the old man and his dog but that one was just underwhelming in the end). I'm not shooting down your opinion here, if you loved them then great!. Nier is an excellent game with just the story and music alone and if you can find more greatness from it then all the better. Thank you for your feedback!
    Last edited by Fon; 04-17-2012 at 00:45. Reason: Fixed typo

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    i liked the fighting actually, and it was because of these forums i even got the game. such a hidden gem. and long

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    i liked the fighting actually, and it was because of these forums i even got the game. such a hidden gem. and long
    I agree, such an amazing and under appreciated gem.

I convinced a friend of mine to buy it the other day and he loves it, never thought he would be into it.

Great review too Fon, you really pointed out its flaws well, but of course they can be overlooked. The sidequests I didn't even bother with, but the main story really makes you want to keep going

Master Guru
    My brother is the one who pushed me into playing this game. When I quit, he continued to pester me about it, Lol(We have different tastes in games but it's rare for him to strongly encourage me to play one of his own). If it wasn't for him, I probably would never have played this(Just think of how many other gems are out there that I'm missing out!).

Thank you for your feedback everyone!.

7. Likes DarkVincent07 likes this post

Thread Information