Latest PSU headlines:

Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Elite Member
    jonathanm1978's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Central Alabama
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,873
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    522 (11,942 Banked)
    Items User name style

    *PS3 Tech problem* Front power/eject button issue

    Does anyone know a way to work-around the buttons on the front of the older PS3 (the "fat"?)...
    I'm not sure what happened to mine, but I'm sure that the front buttons are ruined. My niece has probably spilled juice (apple or something) on the front, and the buttons don't work at all. The PS3 still comes on, there's no blinking yellow light, no blinking red light...but when the thing turns on, the fans are on high and it does that "self test"...the technique we used to discuss as a way to "blow out" the fans by making them run on high...

    Since it's doing this every time I plug in the cord and flip the rocker switch (rear), I am pretty sure it's the power button/eject button. The button is obviously shorted in the "ON" position and touching it doesn't do anything..it still comes on with fans full blast and turns back off..

    I was going to give this PS3 to my two sons so they could play Warhawk with it..so I'm not really caring much about it being "pristine"...but I'd just like for it to work. The BR-drive doesn't really have to be used, they can play games that are on it already, or downloaded -- so the eject button isn't that important...but the power button....yeah, I need that one. Eject would be nice too, but definitely power. I haven't started taking it apart yet, I'm just curious if there's any hope before I take it all apart.

    Anyone??

    Thanks.

    Jonathan


    'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

  2. #2
    Ultimate Veteran
    AaronSOLDIER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Age
    22
    Posts
    20,720
    Rep Power
    117
    Points
    66,905 (0 Banked)
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    So its a 40GB/newer80GB PHAT (the 20GB/60GB never had the fan test). To do the fan test you need to hold down the eject button before flicking the switch at the back (which as you stated is happening here).

    So basically, its the eject button that's damaged, could be the on/off button too but we can't determine that.

    Can't you just use the controller to turn the console on and off though? I never use the button on the console itself I just do everything with the controller, the only problem is that if the eject button is being held down the you won't be able to use discs.

    If you haven't already, I'd clean the button area with a damp cloth and leave it off for awhile and see if that works before attempting to open it.

    Also, a long shot but you could try spraying compressed air into the vents on the underside of the buttons.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

  3. #3
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,519
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    3,880 (0 Banked)
    Items PlayStationSteam
    Take it apart and clean out the "buttons" with some alcohol.

  4. #4
    Elite Member
    jonathanm1978's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Central Alabama
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,873
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    522 (11,942 Banked)
    Items User name style
    I'm guessing my only recourse is to take it apart...so, someone who has done this before (I took this same PS3 apart once, about 3 years ago and it's VERY vague to me how and what I did) how much trouble is it to get to the front buttons? I mean, do I have to completely tear down the system just to get to it, or can I remove that top plate and get them relatively easily?


    'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

  5. #5
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,519
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    3,880 (0 Banked)
    Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
    I'm guessing my only recourse is to take it apart...so, someone who has done this before (I took this same PS3 apart once, about 3 years ago and it's VERY vague to me how and what I did) how much trouble is it to get to the front buttons? I mean, do I have to completely tear down the system just to get to it, or can I remove that top plate and get them relatively easily?
    You should be able to get to them after taking off the top plate if memory serves me correctly.

  6. #6
    Elite Member
    jonathanm1978's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Central Alabama
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,873
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    522 (11,942 Banked)
    Items User name style
    Also, if memory serves me correctly, don't I need some sort of Torx bit to unscrew the ones holding that top on?


    'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

  7. #7
    Newbie
    yanksbuddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    57
    Rep Power
    0
    Points
    1,435 (0 Banked)
    take it to the sony service center..

  8. #8
    Elite Member

    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,519
    Rep Power
    54
    Points
    3,880 (0 Banked)
    Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
    Also, if memory serves me correctly, don't I need some sort of Torx bit to unscrew the ones holding that top on?
    Yeah you need one for the first screw to get the thing open.
    I unfortunately just formatted my old drive without thinking, otherwise I'd would offer to send you the Sony Repair manual. It's out there on the web though, just gotta poke around.

  9. #9
    Elite Member
    jonathanm1978's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Central Alabama
    PSN ID
    jlmc1978
    Age
    35
    Posts
    1,873
    Rep Power
    57
    Points
    522 (11,942 Banked)
    Items User name style
    So yesterday I decided to break open the case and see what I'm dealing with. I was right..looks like something was spilled and got into that pad/area where the buttons are. Cleaned up the area with alcohol / contact cleaner, but the metal "prongs" that touch the buttons when you put the lid back down look a bit rusty..or something....anyway, here's the outcome of taking it apart:

    Where before, the buttons were obviously both held down -- connection on both buttons was made so that they were both active, after cleaning neither of them will operate. I tried turning on the Ps3 after I cleaned it, and the fan test came on once, it powered off, then steady red light. Tried turning on with buttons = nope. Tried hooking in controller and turning on = nope. So I'm thinking one of the buttons might still be held..not sure. I have some small-grit sandpaper, and I'm going to see if I can lightly touch-up those prongs today..maybe get it working again.


    'It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt.' - Abraham Lincoln

  10. #10
    Member

    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    106
    Rep Power
    23
    Points
    1,733 (0 Banked)
    Quote Originally Posted by jonathanm1978 View Post
    So yesterday I decided to break open the case and see what I'm dealing with. I was right..looks like something was spilled and got into that pad/area where the buttons are. Cleaned up the area with alcohol / contact cleaner, but the metal "prongs" that touch the buttons when you put the lid back down look a bit rusty..or something....anyway, here's the outcome of taking it apart:

    Where before, the buttons were obviously both held down -- connection on both buttons was made so that they were both active, after cleaning neither of them will operate. I tried turning on the Ps3 after I cleaned it, and the fan test came on once, it powered off, then steady red light. Tried turning on with buttons = nope. Tried hooking in controller and turning on = nope. So I'm thinking one of the buttons might still be held..not sure. I have some small-grit sandpaper, and I'm going to see if I can lightly touch-up those prongs today..maybe get it working again.
    You've done quiet abit to get it working again but unfortunately it didn't work. Most of the time when you try 'fixing' something yourself it turns out to be a letdown.
    I'd suggest you take it to a repair center where they have alot of appliances, they should be able to fix it.
    Or there's always the Sony center as stated above.

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

PSU

Playstation Universe

Reproduction in whole or in part in any form or medium without express written permission of Abstract Holdings International Ltd. prohibited.
Use of this site is governed by our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy.

vBCredits II Deluxe v2.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2010-2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.