Latest PSU headlines:

Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

We build a PS4! What can the rumoured specs do?

We build a PS4! What can the rumoured specs do?

at 05:03pm April 16 2012

1 2 3 Next »

If the rumours are to be believed, the PS4 (or Orbis) is reportedly going to ditch Sony’s trend for custom hardware – the PS2′s Emotion Engine or PS3′s Cell processor, for example – and be powered by off the shelf PC parts.
    The alleged specs are an AMD A8 3850 processor and AMD Radeon HD 7670 graphics card. If those specs really are true, it’s a big shock. The HD 7670 is actually identical to the year-old HD 6670, a mid-range PC graphics card from AMD that can be picked up for under £100.
    The AMD A8 3850 processor belongs to AMD’s ‘Llano’ range, designed to handle both the usual CPU tasks and deal with graphics – it’s aimed at those who want to save the pennies and go without a graphics card.
    As you’d expect then, it’s priced low – available at a pinch over £100, and it’s raw operating speeds aren’t that impressive. It runs at 2.9 GHz across four cores – for reference, the PS3′s six-year-old processor runs at 3.2 GHz across essentially four of its availible 6 cores.
    The Llano processors are good at what they do – offer a cheap ‘all in one’ graphics and CPU solution to those on a budget, but when we’re talking about the next generation of consoles it seems odd for a chip like the A8 3850 to be in the picture at all.
    Right now, a top-end PC is likely to feature a processor like Intel’s recently released Core i7 2700K. It costs £250, and it’s hella fast. To find out how the PS4′s alleged processor performs against a high end CPU like the i7 2700K, we need to ‘benchmark’ it. Cinebench R11.5 is a number-crunching program that forces CPUs to render high-res images. The quicker a CPU can render the image, the more powerful it is and the higher the Benchmark score is.
    Cinebench R11.5 scores:
    Our homemade ‘PS4′ (AMD A8 3850) 3.42
    High end PC – (Intel i7 2700K) 7.02
    So the high end PC recorded a much bigger score, rendering the image almost twice as fast as our PS4. It doesn’t smack of ‘next gen,’ the reported hardware powering the Orbis. But what exactly is it capable of when running PC games at max graphical settings and 720p resolution? We found out, by building our own ‘PS4′ using the aforementioned CPU and graphics card:
    And you thought the banana-shaped controller was ugly.

The Link: http://www.officialplaystationmagazine.co.uk/2012/04/16/we-build-a-ps4-what-can-the-rumoured-
    specs-do/

Now their are 3 Pages worth of info and i just posted the first page, just go to the others pages on the site

Veteran
    This latest waste of time is just another indicator the Idiocracy culture is rapidly taking over. Ignore the supposed configuration was first being presented as the Xbox 720, then rapidly switched over to being the PS4 when there was a no-show of the 720 at CES12. Then, build a box with the low end PC parts called out in that initial Xbox 720 configuration. And what do we end up with? Doh! A low end PC. And this is a surprise to whom? OPM UK looks really stupid for doing this.
    Pacing in wait of Sony's imminent DOOM!...since 2006
    PS4 - The Only Hardcore Gaming Console = All Your Baserape Are Belong To Us

3. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran

Agree totally mate

If they want to make a top quality system do not call it a PS4. Call it a different name

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    That kind of nonsense i do not expect from an official publication.

Its possible to crossfire the GPU with the APU to gain much needed FPS did they do that?

This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Supreme Veteran

Its just a way of getting attention i fell and they seem to be getting it and i wonder what they will do next

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    their attempt makes as much sense as someone saying "all you have to do to make life is thrown some carbon and water together".

There is so much more that goes into consoles. The OS, how the instructions are sent to the chipsets, memory structure, etc... they CANNOT replicate that by tossing a garage sale lot of PC parts together.

8. Likes Itachi , claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    their attempt makes as much sense as someone saying "all you have to do to make life is thrown some carbon and water together".

There is so much more that goes into consoles. The OS, how the instructions are sent to the chipsets, memory structure, etc... they CANNOT replicate that by tossing a garage sale lot of PC parts together.
    I see your point mate and agree

But they are not the only ones attempting this and i see a many more in the pipe line trying to pull this of... And some trying a build of the xbox720

It makes no sense in trying something that you know is wrong. Until you get the Next generation console specs, you will not be able to recreate a next generation console, Unless you have inside knowledge

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    I see your point mate and agree

But they are not the only ones attempting this and i see a many more in the pipe line trying to pull this of... And some trying a build of the xbox720

It makes no sense in trying something that you know is wrong. Until you get the Next generation console specs, you will not be able to recreate a next generation console, Unless you have inside knowledge
    yeah, it is called "hit fishing"...all they are doing is being sensationlist

11. Likes claud3 likes this post
    Supreme Veteran

Agreed. We seem to know the deal and they seem to try and know more than us

Would you spend all that time and money coming up with a PS4 or Xbox 720, if you did not have the inside knowledge, i think not

Me i am happy to just stick this time out and wait. Enjoy the failures of many trying the near impossible

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Agree totally mate

If they want to make a top quality system do not call it a PS4. Call it a different name
    I disagree. I hope they call it Playstation 4.

14. Likes The Boy From School likes this post
    ***** dweller
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    It's also running on Windows. Playstation consoles don't need to worry about that.

Forum Sage
    PSN ID
    iwinulose042
    Items Final Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIFull Metal AlchemistDragon Ball ZNarutoDeath NoteNaughty DogLightningNoctisAssassins Creed EzioPS3 Slim
    This is quite possibly one of the most inefficient ways to judge an upcoming console. A console can do so much more compared to a pc with similar specs.

Veteran
    PSN ID
    snooper71
    Items Naughty Dog
    Quote Originally Posted by itachi73378 View Post
    This is quite possibly one of the most inefficient ways to judge an upcoming console. A console can do so much more compared to a pc with similar specs.
    They covered that with...

So, what if the PS4 spec rumours are true? With the benefit of developing on a closed platform, AMD and Sony have the potential to squeeze much more from the reported hardware than it might seem by benchmarking the PC hardware itself.

Next Gen top picks:
    PS4: Infamous SS, DriveClub
    One: Project spark, Forza 5
    Multi: Watchdogs, The crew, FFXV, KHIII

PSN ID
    phantomjla24
    lol wow

Dedicated Member
    Cinebench is a CPU only benchmark and they are comparing AMD APU to the most powerfull desktop CPU available. I'd say in that respect AMD APU performs pretty well.
    Do you feel the fear swell inside that filthy bag of meat? - Shodan
    Sentient Hyper-Optimized Data Access Network at Wikipedia

Thread Information