Page 21 of 22 FirstFirst ... 1121 ... LastLast
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    I was immediately struck by how "DOOM 3" like the interior of human structures were in Halo 4. The concept art as well strongly reminds me of Doom.
    Perhaps that is why Carmack is pissed at MS.

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    I was immediately struck by how "DOOM 3" like the interior of human structures were in Halo 4. The concept art as well strongly reminds me of Doom.
    alot of it reminded me more of rid$#@! to be honest
    Got YLOD? In the UK? I'll buy it off you.

Forum Sage
    The Halo Bulletin 11.29.12

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headli...n-112912-.aspx

I think we’re just getting started

Halo Thanksgiving Picture
    Handsome 343 men feet getting started on their holiday pedicure

When I joined the studio in 2010, the team was heads-down creating Halo Waypoint and Halo Legends. As I watched numerous people hunched over their desks, hard at work, I remember saying to myself, “I think we’re just getting started.”

On November 15, 2011, when we released Halo: Anniversary, our remake of Halo: Combat Evolved, the same thought ran through my mind: “I think we’re just getting started.”

A mere three weeks ago, when we released Halo 4 – a project that consumed every fiber of our beings for well over three years – it came to me yet again: “I think we’re just getting started.”

Now, as I look at what’s slated for the month of December, I can’t help but repeat, “I think we're just getting started...”

We have so many exciting things planned for the future that I want to open my window, stick out my head, and yell every single one of them at the top of my lungs. Thankfully PR just lifted their embargo date on one such item, so please excuse me while I do just that. *sprints to the nearest window, starts yelling hysterically, and then calmly sits back down*

Now that all the passersby along with their female four-legged companions know everything there is to know about the upcoming Crimson Map Pack, I should probably fill the rest of you in as well. Join me for an introduction to Harvest, Shatter and Wreckage, won’t you?

Halo Fall Border

Halo 4 Crimson Map Pack

Please Enter your Date of Birth
    Submit

The Halo 4 Crimson Map Pack is the first of three Map Packs from the War Games Map Pass. Currently scheduled for release on December 10, 2012, it will cost $10.00 USD or 800 Microsoft Points and consist of three maps offering something for everyone, including a variety of designs, spaces for tight firefights or vehicle warfare, as well as 8 new achievements and a new Crimson DLC playlist. Extraction, a 5 vs. 5 objective-based game type where opposing Spartan teams are tasked with extracting assets from various sites around the map, will also be available for the first time in Multiplayer Matchmaking, on the same day that the Crimson Map Pack becomes available.

Check out the above just released Halo 4 Crimson Map Pack trailer, and then dive into the specifics of each new playspace below.

Wreckage Screenshot Gallery

Halo 4 Crimson Map Pack Screenshot
    Brand new Wreckage screenshot

Brand new Wreckage environment screenshot

Wreckage Description

Wreckage is a manifestation of the chaos of war. A medium-sized, asymmetrical map, this playspace is great for accommodating a wide range of objective-based game modes including King of the Hill and Capture the Flag. It is a ravaged environment of crashed debris, where the surrounding destruction creates complex paths perfect for throwing off your opponents or testing the limits of your Warthog. This devastated landscape provides plenty of cover, and tons of nooks and crannies are at your disposal while fighting for your turn to become King. Wreckage supports up to 16 players in Infinity Slayer and up to 12 in a variety of other modes, including Capture the Flag, King of the Hill and Oddball.

Harvest Screenshot Gallery

Exclusive Halo Waypoint Harvest screenshot

Exclusive Halo Waypoint Harvest screenshot

Brand new Harvest screenshot

Brand new Harvest environment screenshot

Harvest Description

Harvest is a canon concept brought to life – the doomed agricultural planet where humans first made contact with the Covenant. A small to mid-size map, Harvest is ideal for Capture the Flag. Here, you’ll need to get creative to effectively use light vehicles which are limited to the exterior pathways and can’t get into the bases, making this fully symmetrical map perfect for infantry firefights and face-to-face skirmishes. Snipers will also feel right at home, as long sightlines are broken up by great cover and hiding spots. Harvest allows 8 - 12 players to face off in Capture the Flag, Infinity Slayer, King of the Hill, SWAT and Slayer Pro.

Shatter Screenshot Gallery

Exclusive Halo Waypoint Shatter screenshot

Exclusive Halo Waypoint Shatter screenshot

Brand new Shatter screenshot

Brand new Shatter environment screenshot

Shatter Description

Shatter is themed around natural crystalline surfaces and the huge UNSC factories mining them. This large, symmetrical map is a playground for the Warthog and Mantis – its open pathways make getting around easy, whether on foot or in vehicles. Shatter is a great fit for large games of Dominion and Extraction. For some close-quarters face-time, escape the open landscape and duck into a mining facility, or slip through a doorway and hunt unsuspecting Spartans. Shatter enables multiplayer mayhem for up to 16 players in Infinity Slayer and up to 12 in other modes, such as Capture the Flag, King of the Hill, Dominion and Extraction.

We’ll be digging a bit deeper into these maps before they launch, so stay tuned for more information about each new environment.

Halo Fall Border

Next Week's Matchmaking Playlist Update

Halo 4 Team Regicide

The biggest news for me with regard to Matchmaking this week is that we welcomed a new member to our sustain team on Monday. You may think I’m only excited about this because it means less work for me, but I’m also excited about this because it means less work for me. He will slowly be taking over the playlist update portions of the Bulletin (along with 9,001 other things), but you’ll have to put up with me for at least a little longer while he learns important things such as the location of the bathroom, how I like my coffee, and where we keep all the inappropriate Forge pictures. Hint: They’re the rotating wallpapers for my desktop. You’re welcome.

Now back to the business at hand. On Monday, Team Snipers was removed from Matchmaking and FFA Throwback was added, as were 5 brand new Spartan Ops missions. Also included in that update were the following:

• Fixed scripting issues in Regicide
    • Fixed exploit locations on Solace
    • Fixed KotH on Complex
    • Fixed Mantis spawn timer on Meltdown
    • Made late joining improvements to Join in Progress in all game types
    • Reduced the window for Join in Progress in Slayer game types
    • Made improvements to Join in Progress for uneven starts

Please note that the map fixes only affect playlists and not on-disc custom game map variants. Also know we’re continuing to keep an eye on our forums for exploits and glitches, so please keep reporting them, and we’ll keep fixing them.

SWAT, to absolutely nobody’s surprise, continues to perform well so it is sticking around for yet another 7-day time period of rotational goodness. FFA Throwback, however, will be swapped out for Team Regicide come the next Matchmaking update. Team Regicide is an all-new game mode in Halo 4, and it is a much different experience from the FFA version. The leading player from each team is crowned King and is worth a fixed 25 points to the other team; this makes protecting your King just as important as killing the enemy leader.

Team Regicide features several medals, HUD, an announcer VO unique to the team variant, and is a heavily teamwork-focused game type, emphasizing many 4 vs. 4 team encounters and strategy. Unlike FFA Regicide, the King’s bonus does not fluctuate as the King gets kills.

Below are the maps that will appear in the FFA Throwback playlist.

• Haven
    • Adrift
    • Complex
    • Solace
    • Abandon

If you are unfamiliar with Regicide, here are some tips and tricks to get you prepared for your upcoming encounter with royalty.

• Protect your King: Keeping your King alive is the key to success in Team Regicide. The other team will know where your King is!
    • Communicate: Keep an open line of communication with teammates and your King.
    • Use the boosts: It’s often best to time an offensive when your King has a power-up for that extra advantage in a team fight.
    • Hunt the enemy King: Especially if your team is down, the points are almost always worth it!

Here is a preview of the planned settings for Team Regicide.

Mode

Team Regicide

Teams

4 vs. 4

Score to Win

King Logic

Leading player [medal points] from each team

Regicide Points

25 Fixed

Execution Points

King Power-ups

Enabled

Time Limit

12 Minutes

We hope you enjoy Team Regicide and also the headshot-happy experience SWAT offers. Oh, and one more thing: If you happen to see our new sustain person hanging around the forums, make sure you tell him bravo and congratulations, ‘cause he’s happy to be here, and we’re happy to have him.

Halo Fall Border

Forza 2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Halo Edition

Halo 4 Forza Truck

The December IGN Car Pack will be available for Forza Horizon on Tuesday, December 4 for 400 MS Points. While the pack includes a 2008 Aston Martin DBS, 2012 Ferrari F12berlinetta, 2006 Ford GTX1, 2006 Hummer H1 Alpha Open Top, 1993 McLaren F1, and 1971 AMC Javelin-AMX, the four-wheeled vehicle we’re most excited about is the2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Halo Edition. Why, you ask? Because we love trucks, especially ones that are slathered in Halo. If you prefer things fast and more than a little furious, here is a description of that sweet, sweet Halo ride:

“Celebrating the November 6 worldwide release of Halo 4, this Ford Raptor is tough enough for the Master Chief and comes with a custom UNSC paint job, designed by the creators of Halo 4, 343 Industries. If you love the Halo series, this special edition liveried Raptor is a must-have. The detail of the design is intense and the performance of the SVT Raptor is in a league of its own.”

While normal people have to pay the 400 MSP asking price to acquire it, we worked out a deal where you just have to do two simple things, and you will be given the 2011 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Halo Edition for the low, low price of NOTHING. Here are the required actions:

• “Share” the following post on Facebook, and:
    • Include your Gamertag in a comment.
    http://www.facebook.com/forzamotorsp...11455108960560

Be sure to complete the aforementioned duo of steps in a timely fashion, because you only have one week to score yourself that UNSC-branded truck. We’d also like to give a quick shout out to the Forza team for allowing us to hook you up with an awesome in-game Halo goody. All of you rock! And roll. Get it? Roll like a car because we’re talking about vehicles? Your side is probably about ready to split from that joke, so I think we should probably consider this Bulletin done.

Until next week…

4. Likes F34R likes this post
    PSU Technical Advisor
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    alot of it reminded me more of rid$#@! to be honest
    They both use the same engine, made by id for Doom3.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by MATRIX 2 View Post
    HOLY $*@!!!!! lol.

They are bringing it full force for sure.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    HOLY $*@!!!!! lol.

They are bringing it full force for sure.
    Gotta bump COD off the #1 spot.

Veteran
    Items LiverpoolUser name style
    Already a map pack? A month after release?

I'm sure they didn't already have that finished...

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post

You realize this info has been known since around E3, right?

10. Likes F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Gotta bump COD off the #1 spot.
    They'll have to work triple time for that lol.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shibby View Post

See below this text ...
    You realize this info has been known since around E3, right?

Forum Sage
    Spartan Ops Episode 5 Trailer:

Superior Member
    Items Dark Souls CoverPS3 Slim
    Well I was finally able to finish the campaign tonight, and overall I really loved it. I know it's been several weeks since it came out, but I'll still try to remain spoiler free in my post. But yeah, you can definitely tell 343 put a ton of work into the game and it shows. The visuals are amazing, I mean there were many times I just had to stop and look at the incredible vistas. The music was great just like you would expect out of halo. I really enjoyed the music in the final chapter in particular, it really made it very intense and epic. The story was also fantastic, mainly the stuff with Cortana and the Master Chief.

I do however have a few complaints about the campaign though. First, there were definitely parts of the story that I felt were not explained very well, mainly about the main enemy and all of the backstory to him. His reveal made it seem like we were suppose to know who he was, but I really didnt know anything about him until I went online and read up about him and everything that happened.

Next, while I really felt that while the campaign was great, I was disappointed that they didn't change up too much. Things like fighting the covenant, having new weapons that essentially the same several halo weapons but re-skined, and just not taking really any risk as far as gameplay is concerned were kind of a let down to me. I do realize the covenant you are fighting are a different group from all the other games, but after fighting them over and over in all the previous Halo's, I really was hoping they wouldn't show up in this game. Oh and while they did add a new enemy type to fight, the Promethean were not very interesting to me and I was really let down by them as well. The Promethean weapons were a huge let down because they look really cool, especially when you pick one up the first time and it forms together, but they are just simply the same guns as always. Basically, 343 made a great Halo game, but that's really my issue with it, it's just the same old Halo. Which is great to a point but I was really excited about seeing what a new studio could do with Halo and hopefully could bring something new to the formula, and I feel they really didn't do that.

Finally, multiplayer is a ton of fun. I've played a decent amount of it and I'm really enjoying it. Really my only complaint is that while the maps all seem good, absolutely none of them have stood out to be something special. Maybe I just need to play them more, but there has been some truly amazing maps in previous halo games that I will always have fond memories of, but so far none of the maps have really clicked with me and made me think that it's something memorable. Don't get me wrong though, they are fun maps and I do love the multiplayer, I just haven't found myself coming to truly love certain maps like I have in the past. Oh and as far as Spartan Ops is concerned, I haven't played any of that yet but now that I'm done with the campaign I will soon.

So yeah, to summarize my big wall of text, I really love Halo 4 a lot. Overall it's a fantastic game, and despite my few complaints, I'm still incredibly happy with it and very excited to see what they do next. The campaign is great, especially the story, and even though they didnt really change too much about the game, it's still a wonderful entry into the Halo series. The multiplayer gameplay is as amazing as ever, and while the maps might not be as great as they were in the past in my opinion, they are still a lot of fun. I love Halo, and I always have, it's why I still own an xbox really, and Halo 4 is definitely a worthy successor to the many awesome Halo games before it. 343 did a good job and I look forward to seeing what they do next. If a had to score it though I think I would give Halo a solid 9/10.

14. Likes Sir_Scud , F34R likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Making of Spartan Ops:

Halo 4 Crimson Map Pack: Harvest Walkthrough:

16. Likes F34R likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Making of Spartan Ops:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYtm5gPzW6Q/video]

Halo 4 Crimson Map Pack: Harvest Walkthrough:

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yF3zAUwm2jc/video]
    you get a -rep for not closing your video tags properly.

Forum Guru
    Actually Rid$#@! used their own Starbreeze Engine.
    'no, no one in their sane mind uses OpenGL on PS3' - Repi
    'nope, PS3 uses a wonderful low-level API called libgcm' - Repi

Elite Guru
    Items User name style

i meant halo 4 reminded me of rid$#@! in parts.

20. Likes Vulgotha likes this post
    Forum Sage
    Halo 4 Crimson Map Pack: Shatter Walkthrough

Crimson map pack achievements:

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headli...ievements.aspx

Forum Sage
    The Halo Bulletin 12.6.12

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headli...n-120612-.aspx

Halo 4 Infinity Challenge

While Monday has a reputation for being the worst day of the week, that perception is about to change because on December 17, we’re joining forces with Virgin Gaming and Xbox 360 to bring you the chance to win a UNSC-themed truck and/or a cameo in a future Halo game. Officially called the Halo 4 Infinity Challenge, this tournament will give you a shot at winning a real life vehicle (you virtual vehicles can suck it!) and one of more than 2,800 total prizes. What exactly will it take to score some sweet Halo swag? Why, I thought you’d never ask!

The Halo 4 Infinity Challenge on Xbox LIVE will bring gamers the biggest and most accessible Halo tournament in the world. This free-to-enter tournament will track your personal score in War Games and the number of Spartan Ops chapters you complete on global leaderboards, and your progress with relevant Halo 4 Challenges. The War Games leaderboard winner will walk away with a UNSC-themed, V8-powered 2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor truck designed by our artists here at 343, the Spartan Ops winner will secure an appearance in a future Halo game (don’t blame me if you end up being naked and blue), and the Challenge winners will get a prize pack.

Assuming you find the aforementioned prizes appealing, register today by visiting the Halo 4 Infinity Challenge website (please note localized registration sites will be available on December 12). If you’d like to get into the nitty-gritty of how everything will work, continue reading.

The qualifier phase will take place December 17 - January 10. For that part of the tournament, you will need to climb the ranks of the global leaderboards by competing in either the Spartan Ops or War Games leaderboard. After the qualifier phase, players will be tiered into three groups (Tier 1: Consisting of the top 10% of players competing, Tier 2: Consisting of the next 11-40% of players competing, and Tier 3: Consisting of the bottom 60% of players competing) and will enter the finals phase. The finals phase will start on January 12 and end on January 19. You can also participate in Weekly Challenges for a chance to win great prizes.

During the finals, the leaderboards will reset and prizes will be awarded to the top performers in each tier. While the prizes within all three tiers will rock your socks, the grand prizes will be offered exclusively for those that have battled their way to the top tier.

For tournament and registration information, please visit: www.halo4infinitychallenge.com. Your score will only be tracked from the time you register, so sign up now, Spartans!

Halo Winter Border

UNSC-themed, V8-powered 2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor Truck

Yes, I created an entire section just to show off two pictures of the UNSC-themed, V8-powered 2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor truck one of the Halo 4 Infinity Challenge grand prize winners will get. Why? Because I happen to think it’s that awesome. So there. Moving on…

Halo Winter Border

Spartan Ops Season 1 Continues in January

Halo 4 Spartan Ops Screenshot

Comprised of three brand new Halo 4 Multiplayer maps (Wreckage, Harvest and Shatter), the Crimson Map Pack will launch on December 10. A mere seven days after that, the Halo 4 Infinity Challenge officially begins. To give you adequate time to enjoy both, Spartan Ops will go on a mid-season break starting December 10. Fret not, though, because your entire Spartan Ops timeline will still be both accessible and playable. On top of that, we will also be featuring a Best of Spartan Ops compilation next week, made up of the following chapters:

• Core – Chapter 5 of Episode 1
    • Hacksaw – Chapter 3 of Episode 2
    • Shootout in Valhalla – Chapter 4 of Episode 3
    • The Didact’s Gift – Chapter 5 of Episode 4
    • Spartan Miller – Chapter 1 of Episode 5

Then, from December 17 – January 14, episodes 1-5 will be re-entered into Matchmaking (one episode per week) to support the Halo 4 Infinity Challenge, and allow anyone who missed the first run or wants to replay a previous chapter to easily find teammates online.

The second half of Spartan Ops Season 1 will resume later in January with brand new episodes, chapters, locations and maps (as discussed in our recent Spartan Ops developer interview). Be sure to tune into the Spike TV 10th Annual Video Game Awards, live on Spike TV, December 7 at 9:00 PM ET/6:00 PM PT for more information and an exclusive first-look at the continuation of Spartan Ops Season 1!

Halo Winter Border

There’s only one thing to say after last week’s Matchmaking playlist update: We got a new King! Since Team Regicide has performed spectacularly (TWtQS), it’s sticking around for another week. So is SWAT, of course. Unfortunately that means one playlist has to say goodbye. Actually, it just has to say “See you later” because it will undoubtedly be back. Leaving temporarily is King of the Hill (wipes away a single tear) and taking its place is Crimson DLC. Before we dip into the specifics of that particular playlist, let’s go over the rather short list of other things included in last Monday’s update.

• Fixed exploit locations on Haven
    • Fixed exploit locations on Adrift
    • Introduced Ordnance drop issues on Haven (oops)

Please note that the map fixes only affect playlists and not on-disc custom game map variants, and we will fix the Ordnance drop issues in the next playlist update.

If you find yourself wondering why this change list is shorter than previous ones, it’s because we’ve been hard at work on a Title Update, which is slated to release soon. You’ll know it’s out when you’re prompted to download an update upon logging into Halo 4. We will detail the contents of the TU after it’s out (as it contains exploit fixes we don’t want abused any more than they already are while they’re live). We can tell you right now that this particular TU tackles actual game and gameplay issues, not sandbox tweaks and balances. We have another TU in the works and will continue working on the timing and content of the next one. We will update everyone when we have additional information. One TU at a time, as they say.

Now, back to the Crimson maps! The 12.10 Matchmaking update will include a brand new Crimson DLC playlist, and it will also integrate the Crimson maps into existing playlists. Let’s tackle the Crimson DLC playlist first. It will be 6 vs. 6 and include the following map and game type combinations:

• Infinity Slayer – Shatter
    • Capture the Flag – Shatter
    • Extraction – Shatter
    • King of the Hill – Shatter
    • Infinity Slayer – Wreckage
    • Capture the Flag – Wreckage
    • King of the Hill – Wreckage
    • Oddball – Wreckage
    • Infinity Slayer – Harvest
    • Capture the Flag – Harvest
    • King of the Hill – Harvest

The following Crimson maps will be added into these existing playlists:

• Infinity Slayer – Harvest
    • Big Team Infinity Slayer – Wreckage and Shatter
    • Dominion – Shatter
    • Capture the Flag – Harvest and Wreckage
    • SWAT – Harvest
    • Team Slayer Pro – Harvest

The Matchmaking algorithm is weighted to match players who have DLC with other players who have DLC so if you have the Crimson Map Pack and you enter a regular playlist, you should see the new maps on a regular basis. This is something we can adjust, so if the new maps aren’t appearing as often as we’d like, we’ll continue to tweak the formula.

If you missed last week’s Crimson Map Pack announcement, continue on to the next section of the Bulletin for some walkthrough and gameplay videos.

Halo Winter Border

Crimson Map Pack Videos

The Halo 4 Crimson Map Pack is the first of three Map Packs from the War Games Map Pass. Currently scheduled for release on December 10, 2012, it will cost $10.00 USD or 800 Microsoft Points (or at no additional charge for those that purchased the Halo 4 Map Pass or Halo 4 Limited Edition) and consist of three maps – Wreckage, Harvest and Shatter. You can see the screenshots and trailer we released last week here.

IGN has been releasing one new video a day about these maps, so below are the ones they’ve published thus far. Keep an eye on their site (or our blog) for Friday and Saturday’s videos.
    UNSC Clearance Required
    January

UNSC Clearance Required
    January

UNSC Clearance Required
    January

Halo Winter Border

Art of Halo 4 Dossier

John Wallin Liberto

It’s time for another art spotlight, this time with a rather talented man by the name of John Wallin Liberto. Marathon, the predecessor to Halo created by Bungie in the late 90’s, inspired John to start with digital painting, which later led him into the gaming industry. As an aviator and gadget freak, aerospace technology is what motivates him the most when creating sci-fi art for Halo, but he also turns to nature’s design when in need of inspiration. During his career, he has worked on projects such as Gears of War, Battlefield, Dust 514 and Army of Two as a freelance concept artist, and movies such as Big Fish and Harry Potter 3 as a digital matte painter. His current title is Senior Concept Artist, but I just call him Awesome for short. Enjoy the following snapshot of his work, each piece of which is accompanied by a description, penned by John himself.

Halo 4 Concept Art
    1280x720, 1920x1080

Forward Unto Dawn Cryo Room: This is one of the first concepts I had the honor to make, working closely with Art Director Kenneth Scott. We did many variants of this room until we decided to go further with the design, breaking up repetitive forms and objects leading the player into the corridor of the Forward Unto Dawn, as well as mystical, overhanging tech-objects in the ceiling.

Halo 4 Concept Art
    1280x720, 1920x1080

Spire Vista: One of the most important concepts is the first time you get to see the Forerunner spires within Requiem. We had to figure out how the light within the planet would affect the landscape, as well as the ceiling itself. It needed to be a magical moment, with clouds covering parts of the ceiling but at the same time not too menacing. The clouds are affected by the floating spires that sometimes even touch the surface.

Halo 4 Concept Art

The UNSC Infinity: When designing the UNSC Infinity, there were two ways of defining the scale of such a huge ship during the concept stage: Interpret details by just hinting at them with simple brush strokes, or really get in there and define every bit of it. Knowing the 3D and texture artists would need as much help as possible, I chose to really try to define as much as I could. The original file is 12,000 pixels wide and depicts the Infinity orbiting Earth with other smaller ships.

The nose of the Infinity is cluttered with antennas and discs, giving a striking similarity to the barnacles and lumps on the nose of a Humpback Whale, an animal that symbolizes scale in our world.

Halo 4 Concept Art

Infinity Interior: When the Infinity crashes into Requiem, it’s a partly damaged, dark area. We tried to play with the light to create dramatic silhouettes of tech objects, giving the corridors a dynamic feel and breaking any repetitiveness by lighting parts of it and keeping some areas darker.

Halo 4 Concept Art

Chief vs. Knight: This is one of many promotional images done for various magazine covers such as Game Informer and Xbox Magazine, showing close combat between the Master Chief and a Promethean Knight. Playing with multiple light sources, the light from the sun as well as the light coming from the Knight's sword and glowing details, I tried to get a lot of focus on Chief’s armor and visor.

Now if you’ll excuse me, I need to start popping some popcorn for Friday night, as I plan on planting myself in front of the TV to watch the VGAs. Apparently there’s a video game called Halo that’s up for a few of their awards. Who’d a thunk?

Halo 4 Crimson Map Pack: Shatter Walkthrough 2

Forum Sage
    Title update changes:

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/post/2...ange-List.aspx

Crimson Map Pack: Wreckage Walkthrough:

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Right now, that video is no good (not working).

Elite Guru
    Items User name style
    i'm disappointed.

halo used to be all about big maps.

now on big team slayer, what, there are like 5 different maps?

so for a bit of variation i'll have to start handing out money for dlc?

colour me $#@!ing unimpressed.

fair enough if there were enough to start off with, but seeing as my preferred choice is 8 vs 8, the current selection is TERRIBLE. the fact that ragnorok still out does most maps says alot. i can think of maybe 4 other maps? other than two that i enjoy, they are pretty forgettable. $#@! it, i'll just put the money towards another game once i get bored.

26. Likes D3seeker likes this post
    Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Ahh, video now up. Thanks.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Sir_Scud
    Items Naughty DogFinal Fantasy IVDark SoulsGuerrilla Games
    Quote Originally Posted by J3ff3 View Post
    i'm disappointed.

halo used to be all about big maps.

now on big team slayer, what, there are like 5 different maps?

so for a bit of variation i'll have to start handing out money for dlc?

colour me $#@!ing unimpressed.

fair enough if there were enough to start off with, but seeing as my preferred choice is 8 vs 8, the current selection is TERRIBLE. the fact that ragnorok still out does most maps says alot. i can think of maybe 4 other maps? other than two that i enjoy, they are pretty forgettable. $#@! it, i'll just put the money towards another game once i get bored.
    I feel ya on that. Big team was the main mode that I loved, followed closely by invasion in Reach. For the stock maps, there really isn't any maps that stand out to me. And I was never a fan of Valhalla, so that really sucks for me.

Forum Sage
    Spartan Ops episode 6-10 trailer:

And the Crimson Map Pack is out today.

Forum Sage
    Seems the map pack was accidentally made free to all for a couple of hours.

Forum Sage
    The Halo Bulletin 12.12.12

http://blogs.halowaypoint.com/Headli...in-121212.aspx

Tis the Season

Halo 4 Seattle Seahawks
    Kiki thinks about getting unnecessarily rough with one of the Seahawks

People assume I enjoy the holidays because of the overabundance of seeds nestled in shells. While I think they are delicious when roasted over an open fire and the ballet version is more than worth the two-hour time investment (not to mention that the act of gently bouncing them against a lifeless opponent’s face is oddly satisfying), there’s more to December than just nuts. In fact, the following things all happened in just the last 12 days:

• Some Seahawks stopped by the studio to play everybody’s favorite virtual sport, and after several games, they proved they know their way around balls, whether they are of the foot or Grif variety. (It's also worth noting that after visiting the studio, the Seahawks went on to score an uncontested all-time franchise record against Arizona. Coincidence? I think not.)
    • DJ Skee wanted to check out the Crimson Map Pack so he came to the studio and decided to stop dropping beats long enough to instead drop some lead… directly into our faces.
    • Jen Taylor (and Steve Downes, in spirit) joined us for the 2012 Child’s Play Dinner Auction, helping us raise more than $15,000 from our numerous Halo-themed lots. The proceeds from this event go toward improving the lives of children with toys and games in over 70 hospitals worldwide.

While I could go on and on about the aforementioned festivities, I will instead let the following picture, which was a silent auction item from this year’s Child’s Play Dinner Auction, speak for itself. I would ask if you’re jealous of its proud new (343) owner but let’s face it: There’s no way you couldn’t be. ‘Cause it’s just that awesome.

Child's Play Charity Dinner Auction
    Gus Sorola cardboard standup

Now, we have a lot to talk about in not a lot of time so whad’ya say we cut the chit-chat and get straight to the news? I know, I know. You thought I’d never ask!

Halo Winter Border

Weekend Award Wrap-up

Last Friday at the VGAs, amidst sharply dressed gamers and numerous world premiere videos, we released a trailer for Spartan Ops Episodes 6-10. The second half of Spartan Ops Season 1 returns on January 21, and while you can’t get hands-on with the all-new environments and locales yet, you can watch a special version of the original trailer by pressing play on the above video.

That night Halo 4 had the honor of walking away with two different awards and since then, a few more virtual medals have been pinned to our collective chest. Below are the awards Halo 4 took home over the weekend.

• VGAs – Best Xbox 360 Game
    • VGAs – Best Graphics
    • GamesRadar – Shooter of the Year
    • Inside Gaming Awards – Best Sound Design
    • Inside Gaming Awards – Best Competitive Multiplayer
    • Inside Gaming Awards – Game of the Year

We continue to be overwhelmed at the response to Halo 4. In the whole scheme of things, though, if you are enjoying our game, that’s all that matters to us. So thank you to those of you traversing our virtual battlefields. We wouldn’t want to make this journey without you.

Halo Winter Border

The Halo 4 Infinity Challenge starts in five days. Localized registration sites opened this morning so regardless of what region you call home, head on over to the official Halo 4 Infinity Challenge site and sign up today. Go ahead, I’ll wait…

While some of you are completing the registration process, I’ll go ahead and talk to the rest of you about the prizes that are up for grabs in this free-to-enter tournament. There are two grand prizes – a UNSC-themed, V8-powered 2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor truck and an appearance in a future Halo game – and more than 2,800 smaller prizes. Since the truck has garnered the most interest thus far, here is some additional information about this Halo-themed real life vehicle that may one day be yours.

Already packed with premium features, such as front and rear-view cameras, remote keyless entry, and a 10-speaker 700W Sony audio system, our 2013 Ford F-150 SVT Raptor has been further reimagined to live in the fiction of Halo. It was given a custom paint job that matches the style of the UNSC, and we are adding custom exhaust with electric cutouts, twin rear entertainment screens and an Xbox.

Here is a handy-dandy list of all the features:

• Exterior matte olive paint with flat black trim
    • Ride leveling kit
    • 18" custom Halo wheels
    • 35" tires
    • Exhaust with electric exhaust cut outs
    • Raised hood vents
    • UNSC grille
    • UNSC front push bar with LEDs
    • Bed roll cage with spare tire holder
    • Gas can and mounts in bed
    • Color-match spray-in bed liner
    • Interior two-tone seats with rugged military look
    • Painted trim and chrome to look like bare metal
    • Wrap steering wheel and swap Ford logo to UNSC
    • Diamond plate sill plates on all four doors
    • Custom rubber floor mats
    • Mobile hotspot
    • UNSC graphics on start-up screen
    • Xbox 360 integration
    • Roush supercharger engine

Halo 4 Screenshot

If you are wondering why the Halo 4 Infinity Challenge information is in the “Next Week's Matchmaking Playlist Update” section of the Bulletin, here is your answer: Matchmaking playlist updates from December 17 to January 19 (the duration of the tournament) will focus on the Halo 4 Infinity Challenge. Each week of the Infinity Challenge, there will be a featured playlist for you to compete in. Infinity Slayer will be kicking off the festivities, so dust off your loadouts and prepare your D-pad for some serious ordnance action.

To get to our preferred number of playlists, we will be removing Team Slayer Pro on Monday. We plan to bring it back next year, after we have time to fine-tune it and make it a more optimal competitive experience. We’ll talk more about that when the time gets closer – and that goes for Double Team, Grifball, the addition of more small maps into Matchmaking and the other things we have planned for early 2013 as well.

Many of you have been asking about our design philosophies as they pertain to Halo 4 Matchmaking, so continue reading if you’d like some insight into that particular subject.

Halo Winter Border

Josh Holmes: A Developer Interview

Josh Holmes

Josh Holmes, Creative Director for 343 Industries, plays an important part in everything Halo 4. He had an intimate relationship with the making of the game and continues to maintain that closeness now that we have officially transitioned to sustain mode. I’ve noticed several threads in our forum from those curious about our general design philosophies, so I asked Josh if he would be game for a quick interview. He said yes, and then I turned it into a long one. Go me!

Hello, Mr. Creative Director. For those who aren’t sure what exactly a Creative Director does, please summarize your job responsibilities in a single sentence.

As the Creative Director for Halo 4, I'm responsible for setting the creative vision for the game. I manage all of the various creative teams (art, audio, design and narrative) and guide them to successful execution against the vision.

For the record, that was two sentences. What other things did you do in the gaming industry before landing at 343?

I've been making games for over 17 years. Prior to joining 343, I worked at Electronic Arts and at my own studio, Propaganda Games. I was producer, designer and creative director on games that included the original NBA Street, Def Jam Vendetta, Fight for NY and the Turok reboot for Disney. Since joining 343, I've worked with Bungie in a publishing capacity on Halo: Reach and then moved into the Franchise Creative Director role and Halo 4 CD.

What inspired you to make the switch to Halo?

I fell in love with Halo the first time I played Combat Evolved back in 2001, when I was a Lead Designer at Electronic Arts. I remember saying to myself at the time, "One day I want to design a game like this." Fast forward a decade and not only am I working on a game like Halo, I'm actually helping to guide the future of the Halo universe. It's like a dream.

I would pinch you, but I’d like to keep my job. Speaking of jobs, what was the best part about making Halo 4?

The best part about making Halo 4 has been working with the rest of our team, because we have so many incredible, talented people. And getting to shoot them all in playtests.

There are two sides to every coin, so what was the hardest part of the process?

The hardest part about making the game was bringing a brand new team together, most of whom have never worked with one another before. Everyone had different experiences and approaches to making games and we were simultaneously trying to build something as massive as Halo 4 while working with a new and unfamiliar engine. There were times when it felt as though we were trying to do the impossible, and it's a testament to the character of the team that we managed to overcome so many challenges to build the game.

It was a team-building experience for sure. What are some of the more memorable moments you had with everybody while making the game?

So many moments… At the end of preproduction, we had an overnight creative retreat where Pierre tried to start a beach fire with gasoline and almost burned down several nearby homes (and himself) in the process. There was a late night Kung Fu showdown between Chris and Tajeen at the bar after one too many drinks – thankfully no one got hurt. Over the course of the project, we moved the studio at least three times to accommodate growth, yet still wound up bursting at the seams with humanity by the time we entered the final stretch. One of the funniest moments happened when I was at the EB Games event in Sydney, Australia. When I was coming over, they told me that there would be a dramatic moment at the beginning of my appearance, with the Master Chief coming out of the cryotube to welcome me onto the stage. It sounded awesome. In reality, Chief turned out to be the tallest member of the PR team wearing a $30 Halloween costume from Halo 3 and climbing out of a cardboard box that someone had decorated with felt markers, all while music from Halo: CE played in the background. Oh, and he got stuck in the cardboard box and needed to be helped out. Not the proudest moment in the Chief's illustrious career.

Now that we’re covered pre-launch, let’s talk about post-launch. Have any of the responses to Halo 4 surprised you?

It's been humbling to receive so many messages from players who have enjoyed the game and being able to play the game in Matchmaking now that it's out in the wild. When the game was first released, I spent a week at home on my couch, playing the game online while reading reviews between matches. It's surreal to pour three years of your life into something and then finally be able to see and hear the responses from people playing it.

I was wondering where you were that first week! Now that you’re back, what are our main priorities in regard to sustain?

Our first priority is responding to any unforeseen bugs or exploits that are uncovered by the community. Beyond that we are continuing to monitor playlist population and manage the rotation of experiences in Matchmaking to make sure that the most popular experiences are made available to players.

What philosophy do we use when making these decisions?

Our sustain philosophy is to support and maintain Halo 4's online community by analyzing player activity and making measured changes when necessary. We want to maintain engagement amongst the active player population through careful management of the active playlists, taking into account which experiences are most popular and addressing critical bugs and exploits as they are discovered. We also need to infuse the experience with new content in the form of authored map packs and community created maps so that the experience feels fresh and exciting for months and years to come.

Is that why we’re doing weekly updates instead of monthly updates?

In the case of Spartan Ops, we chose a weekly cadence for new episodes because it felt like the right timing to keep people invested in the story over the course of the season. We approached Spartan Ops like a serialized television show, but with the added interactive component of missions. For War Games, the weekly updates to playlists allow us to monitor the community's response to different game modes and take that into account when planning. We're also able to address map exploits that may be discovered (like the hole in collision that was found in Complex and being exploited in Oddball). Going a full month between updates would prevent us from addressing these issues in a timely manner.

Another thing we’re doing differently with Halo 4 is rotational playlists. Why are we taking that route this time around?

We put new playlists into rotation to keep the experience fresh each week and to test the community's response to different game types. We limit the total number of active playlists to prevent the population from becoming too fragmented so that we can provide an optimal matchmaking experience and if a playlist fails to capture or maintain population over time then it becomes a candidate for retirement, at least temporarily.

We have some great stuff in the works for 2013. What can you share about the things we currently have up our sleeve?

The second half of Spartan Ops kicks off on January 21, featuring new environments and missions along with the conclusion of the season's storyline. We also have more maps coming with the Majestic and Castle map packs, as well as some community-created maps that we will be selecting to add into Matchmaking, which will include both smaller 4 vs. 4 maps and larger Big Team maps.

Sounds good! Before I release you from my interview death grip, I have some random, fun questions now that you’ve tackled all the serious ones. So, Battle Rifle or DMR?

DMR, because I prefer single shot to burst fire weapons.

Frag or Plasma?

Frag, because I like to strip shields and then finish people off.

Covenant or Forerunner?

Forerunner, because I love the look and sound of the weapons.

Red or blue?

Blue, of course! Red is too angry.

Frank or Kiki?

Kiki, because she makes the best margaritas and Frank only exists to drink them.

I am suddenly thirsty, so I think we can officially call this interview done. Thanks for taking the time to share some insight into the making of Halo 4 and our general Matchmaking philosophies, Josh, and I'm sure we'll chat with you again after the New Year!

Halo Winter Border

Halo 4 Housekeeping

Halo 4 Screenshot

Starting on Friday, I’ll officially be on vacation until January. Fret not, though, because numerous teams at the studio will continue working over the holidays (Sustain, Spartan Ops and Services, to name a few). A Bulletin or two may still get published in my absence, but they will more than likely be lighter in content and holiday-themed in nature. To make sure you’re covered news-wise for the next few weeks, here are some updates about various Halo 4-related topics.

File Share
    Search for in-game File Share is still offline. Custom searches (by tag, most recommended, and most downloaded) are not enabled and will return “no files found”. We utilized something new for this particular Halo 4 feature, and it’s taking us longer than we initially anticipated getting it to a fully functional state. We recognize this is not an optimal situation, and we’ll continue working on it until it reaches shipping quality. In the meantime, here are the different actions you can take in your in-game Halo 4 File Share:

• Upload files
    • Download files
    • Add to File Share
    • Remove from File Share
    • View someone else’s File Share (by Gamertag)
    • Tag Files
    • Recommend Files
    • Receive File recommendations

This issue also affects web availability of the Halo 4 File Share. We expect both Search and web access to come online in early 2013, and we’ll provide another update in January. Again, we apologize for the delay, and we know this is painful for many of you. We’ll be brainstorming ways to celebrate both features’ release (contests, activities, etc.), so let us know via our forums if you have any ideas in that regard.

Crimson Map Pack
    The Crimson Map Pack, along with its relevant Matchmaking playlist, released on Monday. There was a delay with getting this content to War Games Map Pass and LE owners that was resolved the same day at approximately 1PM PT. There were also some initial complications with the distribution of the “14 day, Buy and Play” reward tokens, so we decided to provide the additional reward of complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack, for a limited time, as a “thank you” to the players who contributed to the success of the Halo 4 launch. Making lemonade, if you will.

This complimentary access to the Crimson Map Pack will continue through Tuesday, December 18 at 9am UTC/GMT). At that time, the complimentary limited access will close, and “14 Day - Buy and Play” program participants will no longer be able to access the content for online play (please note anybody who has already purchased the Crimson Map Pack or owns the Halo 4 Map Pass or Limited Edition will not be impacted and will continue to have access to the content after the complimentary access period ends). If you would like to continue playing on them after that date, the Crimson Map Pack can be purchased through the Xbox LIVE Marketplace for 800 MS Points, or via purchase of the War Games Map Pass.

Thread Information