Latest PSU headlines:

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation

Future of PlayStation Game Genres

It's been 5-6 years since the launch of the PS3. It's clear the PS3 has plenty of good games and a variety of games. However, some gamers were disappointed with some genres, like RPGs and racing games to name a few.

So my question is, what genres does the PS4 or next PlayStation console need to focus on that the PS3 lacked? Does the PS4 need more and better RPGs? First person shooters? Shooters in general? Racing? Fighting?

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    Quote Originally Posted by The Black Wolf View Post
    It's been 5-6 years since the launch of the PS3. It's clear the PS3 has plenty of good games and a variety of games. However, some gamers were disappointed with some genres, like RPGs and racing games to name a few.

So my question is, what genres does the PS4 or next PlayStation console need to focus on that the PS3 lacked? Does the PS4 need more and better RPGs? First person shooters? Shooters in general? Racing? Fighting?
    They do have good line up of RPG's(Just not WRPG's); Which they might need to focus on. The most dissapointed Genre from Sony is the obvious shooters so they need to shift their focus away from that(Or at least just work on Killzone games or a completely new IP that will work). Action Adventure games seem to be doing them wonders so I think that's their main genre.

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    I agree, they could focus more on shooters. Killzone is solid, but Resistance didn't live up to the hype and pressure. Next gen, they need at least two exclusive shooters.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Veteran
    I think the genres are fine, and PS3 sure brought some nice and novelty game exclusives like MGS4, Heavy Rain and Journey to name a few.

5. Likes Ghost , SuperSayian5Goku, PS4freak likes this post
    Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    To be fair, I think we get enough shooters nowadays. Not that FPS titles are a bad thing but they could always try and stand out from one another i.e. Valve's Half-Life series or Criterion's action-packed Black.

But I mainly want to see more JRPG titles from Sony. Final Fantasy Versus XIII is my most anticipated exclusive for that specific genre and Square Enix just recently went into full-production for said title last year.

7. Likes Kauldron, SuperSayian5Goku, Kuro likes this post
    ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    I just want to see more action rpg's either j or w rpgs too..

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    i think they are okay, but they really need to improve Gran Turismo. and where was all that monthly DLC for it?

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    Drezee1
    I wanna see a good old fashion TURN-BASED RPG without the hype of graphics(graphics never made a game good) action RPG's are boring are more attuned to casual beat em up type players. Most players tend to play games one time through and move on. Me I still play FF VII-IX as well as Xenogears and others. RPG's for next-gen are one time play through for me since fun factor an replay ability is out the door.
    Why wait later when you can do now!

Ultimate Veteran
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    i think they are okay, but they really need to improve Gran Turismo. and where was all that monthly DLC for it?
    I have a feeling that Polyphony Digital will announce Gran Turismo 6 at this year's E3. Given the releases of preceding titles in the franchise, we should see at least one more title for the PlayStation 3.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-18-2012 at 04:48.

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    More adventure/platformers (2D or 3D) would be awesome

Via Tapatalk

Superior Member
    JRPGs and survival horror please.

Forum Guru
    I want a genre called punk or amateur where just anybody can make a game and then publish it. The wilder and the more experimental the better. It's a genre about doing new things or distorting accepted tropes. It'd be like the twitter account PeterMolydeux, or like Cactus Squid, or like Messhof.

Ideas that fail to entertain, but are fascinating nevertheless.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Swordsman-45
    Items User name styleOne Piece
    Sony needs to bring some JRPG to the west, since they are not selling well over japan, and yes we like it to the end. I don't think we need more shooters that we have now, and killzone and resistence series both completed their mission in a way. With strong build of ps3, sure some action / rpg games with uncharted graphs will be killer.
    (•_•)
    ( •_•)>⌐■-■
    (⌐■_■)

MyAnimeList
    Currently playing GOW:A
    Next : Last of Us, One Piece : Pirate Warriors 2

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    berts08
    Items User name styleManchester United
Gift received at 11-19-2011 from Cuguy
Message: couldn't find a reason the shop would deny you the purchase, so here ya go
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkVincent07 View Post
    More adventure/platformers (2D or 3D) would be awesome

Via Tapatalk

I was going to post this

“Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” Arthur C. Clarke

PSN ID: berts08

Trying not to break stuff...
    Items LuluHIMLinkin ParkPlayStationFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIIDeath Note LFinal FantasyDark Souls Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by mankind View Post
    I was going to post this
    Yep just because graphics are getting more and more realistic doesn't mean we shouldn't see some awesome fantasy worlds and platformers

Via Tapatalk

Apprentice

They have to focus on games that sell and unfortunately right now that's just shooters, shooters, and football games. I think it's more accurate that gamers need to focus on new things the next time around, there are plenty of good games that have been released the last five years that have been passed over for no good reason. Companies just aren't going to spend the time and money it takes to develop a good rpg when they can just slap random things together and add guns and you'll sell millions.

Sony should have done more to push rpg's in the beginning of the ps3, square making all their early rpg's 360 only pretty much killed the genre early on. Both of them, along with Level 5 are guilty of trying to do too much instead of just staying wtih the formula that worked they tried to think too big and do too much without making the base of a game fun. White kight chronicles is a good example and might have been considered an all time great game had they just made it fun to play.

With ff13 and 14 Square pretty much killed off the Final Fantasy name, but they have been doing positive things XIII-2 is fun even though it's not great and still not the type of game they should be making, FF IV after the latest patch is actually a really good game for the first time.

MsSony both need to put out better hardware this time and quit cutting corners, MS severely hurt the industry by having only standard DVD and Sony killed their dominance with the horrible amount of Ram in their system. And somehow Nintendo managed to hurt themselves in a lot of peoples minds, while completely dominating the hardware sales which is an impressive feat

Thread Information