Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast

Espionage and/or stealth game recommendations for PS3 (or even PC)

I am looking for a good recommendation for a relatviely recent quality espionage type game.

I recently played the re-re-released Golden Eye and found that to be a disappointment (just an average FPS). James Bond First Blood I found to be lacking, although great effort on trying something different (mix of 3rd person shooter and driving). The only game that I've played that seem to "get it" was the Assasin Creed games. I often said "if only they could use the AC engine with something like James Bond".

I like things like sneaking around, hiding, using gadgets, sniper rifles, solving problems, choosing between direct confrontation/sneaking past, or sneak killing. etc. What I do not like is the endless killing and over the top action of Call of Duty. I prefer less of an army based story and more fo a spy based story but this is not too big of a deal (if the other elements exist).

So what I am looking for is something that involves true espionage set in relatively modern times (say post 1950). I've did some research and games like Splinter Cell and Metal gear Solid have come up a few times. But I can not realy tell what those games are like. I prefer a recent release that has good graphics (I am not so much into classic gaming).

Any suggestions for PS3 or PC? Maybe help me understand more what MGS or Splinter Cell is like.

Thanks in advance!

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Metal Gear is THE series you are looking for. Jump on the PS Store and grab the first one and go from there, best decision you will make for this genre. Thank me later. I know you said recent but its a timeless classic.
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDug13
    I want Naughty Dog to explore new game genres, not regurgitate cinematic corridor shooters for another generation.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Metal Gear Solid 4!

4. Likes Lebowski likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Splinter cell series
    Offers stealth with gadgets but I hear the HD collection on PS3 is a bit hit and miss in terms of performance and on the PC the first 2 run great but do not look how they should due to graphics drivers and cards not fully supporting the custom Xbox shaders however the 3rd one (Chaos theory) has none of those problems.
    Splinter cell has gimped controls to force you to go for stealth.

Thief trilogy
    Never played it myself but i hear others say its good.

Hitman series
    The choice is yours to be stealthy as possible an only take out the target or you can run and gun if things go wrong.
    Hitman gives you more freedom than Splinter cell
    Last edited by keefy; 04-18-2012 at 22:11.

El Presidente
    Deus Ex is a good one and just came out last fall. Just finished it this week and played stealthy the whole way.

Focus. Control. Conviction. Resolve. A true ace lacks none of these attributes. Nothing can deter you from the task at hand except your own fears. This is your sky.

Elite Member
    Items User name style
    you like stealth espionage games, yet have not played any Metal Gear Solid or Splinter Cell? Those are the only games I would truly call stealth espionage. Go Buy Now!

Metal Gear Solid is the better of the two. I know you want more recent but you should start with MGS1 to get the whole story. (all the important story).
    Or if you really cant stand the graphics, start with the HD collection. They still hold up very well.
    Last edited by Merchant; 04-19-2012 at 15:55.

The Dawkness!
    PSN ID
    ElNaxi
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Hitman: Blood Money, best of both series. Chaos Theory has the best co-op i've played, although i don't know if the collection has it.

Deus Ex: HR is a great recommendation. I played MGS for the story. I am not that fond of its stealth aspect, but it's still good.

My name isn't a misspelled Nazi,god****.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Splinter cell series
    Offers stealth with gadgets but I hear the HD collection on PS3 is a bit hit and miss in terms of performance and on the PC the first 2 run great but do not look how they should due to graphics drivers and cards not fully supporting the custom Xbox shaders however the 3rd one (Chaos theory) has none of those problems.
    Splinter cell has gimped controls to force you to go for stealth.

Thief trilogy
    Never played it myself but i hear others say its good.

Hitman series
    The choice is yours to be stealthy as possible an only take out the target or you can run and gun if things go wrong.
    Hitman gives you more freedom than Splinter cell
    Thief: Deadly Shadows is pretty fun, though steam still has it for $20 x.x

Sig&Av by Kuro

Sometimes streaming Watch_Dogs

PS4 Preorders:
    FarCry4MetroReduxDragonAge3BatmanAKWitcher3DyingLightOrder1886Uncharted4

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Dedicated Member
    METAL GEAR SOLID! You should at least read up on the story of the first one if you don't want to play it, but then play through 2, 3, 4 and Peace Walker. These are the best stealth/espionage video games in existence. It doesn't get better than this.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    BATMAN ARKHAM CITY/Asylum is your best bet

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Funeralfog View Post
    BATMAN ARKHAM CITY/Asylum is your best bet
    How did I forget those? Yes these games are awesome as well, must haves if you are into stealth or quality games in general. Reminded me a lot of MGS.

Master Guru
    Items Legend of ZeldaInsomniac GamesKonamiNaughty DogNintendoMetal Gear SolidFinal Fantasy XI OnlineDark Souls CoverPlayStationDoomDemons Souls Cover
    just with much better overall gameplay. i was frigging chuffed how great Arkham City is, (didn't buy Asylum). and you get a ton of cool gadgets that are actually useful unlike MGS4

Let's be honest: You sleep with anything that walks on two legs. Sometimes, you're not even that discriminating

Forum Sage
    MGS4 and Deus Ex:Human Revolution are good shouts

BBK. Tapatalking.

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    admartian
    Items ArsenalVitaUser name styleSteamPS3 Slim
    Apart from MGS, I'd recommend Hitman, and Deus Ex HR.

#IndieStation4 and proud of it.

Ancient
    Tactical Espionage Action
    METAL GEAR SOLID

Splinter Cell & Hitman are good too
    Last edited by TGO; 04-19-2012 at 22:51.

"Xbox is about to become the next water cooler”

Ultimate Veteran
    Remember the OP is asking for a recent release as he prefers good graphics. That being said, I would recommend picking up Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Both the gameplay and visuals are great.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar!

Metal King Slime, formerly Black. Gaming since Super Mario World (SNES).

Master Guru
    i haven't played it, but they have the Saboteur set in WWII. that seems right up your alley and it pretty much has every criteria you asked for. but i don't really know how it plays

Forum Guru
    PSN ID
    Terminator101
    Quote Originally Posted by Naxi View Post
    Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory and Hitman: Blood Money, best of both series. Chaos Theory has the best co-op i've played, although i don't know if the collection has it.
    From what it says on the box, the collection has no multiplayer whatsoever.
    Almost everyone will say: buy console that has games that you want, and those who say otherwise are ignorant.

Playstation Move for the win!

Forum Overseer
    Skyrim has stealth.

Elite Guru
    Throwing this out there.

Alpha Protocol.

Modern day spy RPG. Got lots of heat mostly from NA on release but the EU liked it more.

I though it was a hidden gem though by no means perfect. Should be cheap now, too.

Obligatory TapaTalk signature.

Elite Sage
    Deus EX Human Revolution.
    I once ate a dirty sock...don't tell anyone.
    World domination has taken a momentary setback...talk amongst yourselves in the meantime.
    UK>America. its just true

Super Elite
    Items Atari
    Alpha Protocol and MGS4 on PS3 are your best bet. Unfortunately, the PS3 hasn't had as many good espionage games as other systems. Maybe we'll get that new Syphon Filter at E3
    During E3 I check out the booth babes, and if that's wrong...then maybe I'm missing the point of E3

Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    Some good titles that I found from IGN searches:

Enter the Back: Pretty good stealth-action game from the 90's. You have to sneak around inside tightened cavities. However the AI is kinda dumb because it makes it easy for you to finish the game, even on the hardest settings. What I mean is the enemies are all wearing brown costumes and they leave their footprints all over the place, it's so messy! They stopped after their ninth sequel because of a spelling error (Resident Evil Revalaitons 3DS anyone?).

Another more recent game is

Intruder Insertion: I think this came out last year and gamers all over liked it for its open-world gameplay. Keep in mind that this is made by a Japanese developer, so it does get a little weird, but don't let that turn you away because as I said, people like it. Basically you have to infiltrate a lot of interiors and collect soap from showers, but don't drop it, as it will alert enemies who will randomly spawn behind you (can't believe they still didn't patch that). But you can certainly go outside too. The art design is what makes this game weird. Everything is almost red, and it feels like you're going into very tight tunnels all the time. Overall it's pretty good. If you're not sure about it, you can always find it used at Gamestop.

And finally for the last one.

Black Hole
    : Normally I wouldn't post this title because it's from Capcom, and I have a bad history with them, but I feel they redeemed themselves with this one a little. It's a sci-fi action game from 2010. It was exclusive to Xbox but it eventually went multiplatform after everyone demanded it (cause who wants to buy a system for one game, right?). This has some sneaking missions and pickpocketing, but the best part is the Playstation Move integration. You're in first person mode the whole time and the camera is placed a little lower, as if you're some small guy with one eye looking for keyholes. You have to guide your fella around tight corners and gurneys. But you get this overpowered gun that shoots white plasma that sticks to enemies. Headshots will get you extra points, especially in the multi-player (nothing like going from behind a noob and shooting your plasma in his or her face). However, knowing it's Capcom, you still have to buy content that is already on the disc, but they didn't price it too high, and it's really not mandatory, just a costume set and an upgrade for your weapon to shoot much faster with less recoil, that way you never miss. But you can easily unlock that after one play-through. I would give this a rent if I were you, they just announced the "White Matter: Gold Edition" which comes with all the previous DLC plus the two new modes, Insertion Point and Lost & Found. So you're in luck.

Well that's about it, hoped that helped. Have a good one.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    1- MGS HD collection
    2-MGS4
    3-Deus Ex:Human Revolution
    4-Forget Splinter Cell,Especially the last one.
    Last edited by Abdou23; 04-20-2012 at 06:15.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Master Guru
    Items Baby ChocoboPlayStationUser name style
    for this gen of consoles I would say Deus Ex: Human Revolution, it's what Metal Gear Solid should have been in terms of gameplay imo. if you want a movie, get MGS4, if you want gameplay get Deus Ex.

you can play Deus Ex:HR 4+ times in a row beating it 4+ times and throughout those times you will always find a few things new that you haven't noticed before.

Thread Information