Latest PSU headlines:

Thread: Hardcore gaming

PSU Executive Editor (US), Brosota, Platinumer

Hardcore gaming

By definition, the term Hardcore Gaming feels like it's lost its vigor as the industry has grown into what it is today. I'm thinking about writing on this topic, and I'd really love some community input.

What I'd like answered:
    -if a hardcore game can exist in such a diversified medium that is Gaming
    -how the terminology has changed obey the last few console generations
    -what defines a gamer as hardcore

Any feedback will help a great deal, and thanks in advance.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

2. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AcesHigh291
    Look at Dark and Demons Souls, they're what I would call the definition of a hardcore gamers game. Sure they didn't set sales charts on fire, but they've done well enough to warrant a sequel. Not everyone wants to play Plants vs Zombies, and not everyone wants to try Dark Souls, there will always be room for both.

Honestly, I have no idea what you're trying to get at with question #2.

I think there is no universal definition for a "hardcore gamer", sure I use it as a term to describe myself, but I think it needs to be a term that someone associates with, not a blanket term that can cover a mass of people.

4. Likes claud3, Tim Nunes wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Yeah Aces, i think a person could be a hardcore casual gamer. Someone who focuses on a specific genre and goes all in can be called hardcore.

personally though, I think the term "hardcore" is a played out crutch that fanboys use when they want to disparage other games or consoles. OH that game isn't hardore enough, or that system is too casual. It is just lame.

Gamers can be hardcore, but like you said the term can't be used to blanket a group of people. Hardcore depends on how dedicated the individual is about playing, not what the game is. No one can be elitist and say " this game is ONLY hardcore"

PSU Community Manager
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    I've always seen it as:

Hardcore gamer: Someone who games as an enthusiast/hobbyist.
    Hardcore game: Game aimed at gaming enthusiast/hobbyist.
    Click HERE to create your mercenary and get exclusive in-game items.

THE GREY CARDINAL (eWar Merc) - COVERT SUBTERFUGE (Minmatar Scout)
    CEO of PSU GHOST SYNDICATE - PSU in-game channel: PSU GHOST

7. Likes adamdolge , Tim Nunes wishes they had posted this first.
    Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Hardcore is mostly used to describe a game mode which is actually a contradiction because hardcore makes it easier to get the kills.
    "I play hardcore (mode) therefore I am"

Hardcore games do not exist they are too difficult for the masses to master and therefore unpopular so developers tend not to make them so they can maximise their profits.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-19-2012 at 07:45.
    This is a local shop for local people you have no business here!

Forum Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    I've always seen it as:

Hardcore gamer: Someone who games as an enthusiast/hobbyist.
    Hardcore game: Game aimed at gaming enthusiast/hobbyist.
    I agree with this.

I must admit though I hate the term 'hardcore' for the reasons Cuguy stated. Your either a gamer or your not

BBK. Tapatalking.

Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Imo a hardcore gamer is someone devoted to a certain game/franchise or perhaps, in a broader sense, a genre of games.
    You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    A hardcore gamer doesn't restrict himself to a single type of game, single genre, single anything.

PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    In my mind, a hardcore gamer is someone who is of more discerning taste, and who doesn't game casually. To my eyes, there's a big difference between someone who spends most of their time playing FIFA or Call of Duty and someone who games on a variety of systems, spanning multiple genres and collects rare Japanese titles, for example.

However, while on topic, personally i'd like to say that I detest the label hardcore gamer, or gamer for that matter. I play games, yes, and quite a lot of them too. However, that's just it -- I play games, i'm not a gamer. I workout too, but i'm not a fitness freak or a bodybuilder.

See what I mean? Maybe it's just me, but I know i'm not the only person who feels this way.
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Veteran
    Items User name styleE3PS3 Slim
    I think the term hardcore just means you are super into something. Someone can be a hardcore musician, a hardcore cook, a hardcore writer, a hardcore gamer. People that play Fruit Ninja or that draw game can be hardcore gamers. Why not? The idea that a game has to be difficult to be hardcore i don't think works.

For example: I'm hardcore into boobs. I'm hardcore into old-school turn-based RPGs. I'm hardcore into coffee and I used to be hardcore into nicotine. I'm a hardcore gamer because I really, really enjoy playing games and spend a lot of time learning about them, reading about them, talking about them. Honestly, the same can be said for music, or food, or sex, or growing plants, or building stuff, or old cartoons, etc. Is my 7 year old niece NOT a hardcore gamer just because she spends the same time playing Wii and her 3DS as i do PS3, PC, Vita, etc?

14. Likes Ghost wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Member
    PSN ID
    gangsta_795
    Items Joker (limited ICON)Red Hot Chili PeppersAC/DCEvanescenceNirvanaSteamEA LogoDiablo IIINvidiaManchester UnitedLightningPS3 Fat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike_Harradence View Post
    In my mind, a hardcore gamer is someone who is of more discerning taste, and who doesn't game casually. To my eyes, there's a big difference between someone who spends most of their time playing FIFA or Call of Duty and someone who games on a variety of systems, spanning multiple genres and collects rare Japanese titles, for example.

However, while on topic, personally i'd like to say that I detest the label hardcore gamer, or gamer for that matter. I play games, yes, and quite a lot of them too. However, that's just it -- I play games, i'm not a gamer. I workout too, but i'm not a fitness freak or a bodybuilder.

See what I mean? Maybe it's just me, but I know i'm not the only person who feels this way.
    That's very well said.
    You see, madness, as you know, is like gravity. All it takes is a little push!

Supreme Veteran

hardcore gaming is the chance to show your true feelings towards gaming. Soft gamers are the ones that feel a little happiness towards gaming not alot and causal gamers are the ones that just game now and then

Me i am a mixure of all three and i enjoy the times i game hardcore and sometimes softcore game. Causal gaming is when i am just drunk and feel the need to blow of some steam

Extreme Poster
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post
    Hardcore is mostly used to describe a game mode which is actually a contradiction because hardcore makes it easier to get the kills.
    "I play hardcore (mode) therefore I am"

Hardcore games do not exist they are too difficult for the masses to master and therefore unpopular so developers tend not to make them so they can maximise their profits.
    I usually do better at normal mode so that's definitely wrong.

Easier to kill but also easier to die...especially by newbies.

You have to play smarter in hardcore and make less mistakes.

On topic, I love hardcore games...**** all that ***** ****. I love Dark Souls. **** yea I wanna find my way around...**** that ***** map **** too.

Thread Information