Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 ... LastLast
    Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Ok true I on the other hand would op out of both until the service was worth its weight in gold and see if it truely had value for money for a long term stay
    That makes sense too.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    I think you missed the point. They were making large profits already and decided to ramp up their price for XBL. They can do it again.
    I don't think anyone said they COULDN'T do it again. As the cost of providing a service increases, the price must increase if you are going to keep your profit margins. It's called business. I think it's you who missed the point. For ten years the service got better, and better, and more and more services were added, at no increase to the consumer. According to you, they increased it for no reason... other than money. Well, what business isn't in it to make money? Do you think they arbitrarily just raised the rate for X more money per customer?

Forum Elder
    I think you missed the point. They were making large profits already and decided to ramp up their price for XBL. They can do it again.
    ramp up?
    when did MS increase the price of LIVE? i've not paid more than £30 in the last 4 years.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    That makes sense too.
    So you see the easy option is the best option in my opinion. But again you still miss out on the great stuff while off line... So its a case of would you are wouldn't you op out straight away. Some might and others would pay the fee for the service if it was right for them
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    So you see the easy option is the best option in my opinion. But again you still miss out on the great stuff while off line... So its a case of would you are wouldn't you op out straight away. Some might and others would pay the fee for the service if it was right for them
    Well I've always been able to get discounted Live and I think that will hold true for next gen as well. And I very much prefer Xbox Live so no I wouldn't opt out right away.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yungstar 2006 View Post
    ramp up?
    when did MS increase the price of LIVE? i've not paid more than £30 in the last 4 years.

not too long ago they officially raised the retail price from 49.99 a year to 59.99 a year. Most people never actually pay that much.
    LMAO

Friendship is Carrots
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I don't think anyone said they COULDN'T do it again.
    I don't think anyone did either, but that's not what I said. This is what Cuguy posted and what I made my original response to.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    Seriously doubt it. There'd be no reason for a price bump.
    As the cost of providing a service increases, the price must increase if you are going to keep your profit margins. It's called business. I think it's you who missed the point.
    Before your post, this argument was never raised, so it's impossible for me to have "missed it." Again, I don't think you're getting the point here. You can do better than this, Fear.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I don't think anyone did either, but that's not what I said. This is what Cuguy posted and what I made my original response to.

Before your post, this argument was never raised, so it's impossible for me to have "missed it." Again, I don't think you're getting the point here. You can do better than this, Fear.
    I did just fine.

They had every reason to raise the price, they'd been eating the cost of the service without a price increase for ten years. The cost of support, services, and maintenance is directly tied into the amount of users that sign up. It cuts into profit margins, therefore, there's a need for an increase. Basic business principles.

Elite Member

With the rumors about Sony charging for on line play, it looks like the only way to play online in the future will be PC gaming, which I will never go back to.

This is the future whether we like it or not.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Friendship is Carrots
    I don't think you realize that I was literally posing the question, but alright.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Super Moderator
    PSN ID
    Lethal_NFS
    Items Michelle MarshAngelina JolieScarlett JohanssonOlivia WildeLucy Pinder
    I can certainly see Microsoft bumping the price for XBL again. Microsoft is constantly doing new things for their console. If it does happen I can say right now that it will not surprise me.

PSU Technical Advisor
    Seriously doubt it. There'd be no reason for a price bump.
    >>Implying they had a good 'reason' for their last price bump, apart from the fact that they knew people would pay it without much fuss.

Seriously, they don't really need a huge 'reason'. They're feeling out how much their loyal fanbase is willing to shell out before they get upset.

Superior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vulgotha View Post
    >>Implying they had a good 'reason' for their last price bump, apart from the fact that they knew people would pay it without much fuss.

Seriously, they don't really need a huge 'reason'. They're feeling out how much their loyal fanbase is willing to shell out before they get upset.
    This. Microsoft knows they can raise the price of live to $70 (heck maybe even $80 if they really wanted) and most Live users would pay for it thus giving them an even higher profit margin. That's an easy decision for a business to make whenever they want to make it.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Forum Sage
    Items BarcelonaPS3 Slim360 Slim
    I don't see this happening. At least not in the near future. They just raised it not too long ago. If they do I'll just do what I always do and shop around for deals. As long as the content and service keeps improving I won't be bothered that much.

IRONRANGER6 Tapatalk
    Last edited by Sub-stance1; 04-20-2012 at 00:41.

Forum Overseer
    People will $#@! but they will come back.

Master Poster

wasn't the price hike solely because of Activision complaining that CoD was boosting live subscribers and wanted a percentage of live profits.
    at first MS didn't want to give up the money then decided a $10 increase in live would offset Activisons cut.

Kotick wants his cut

Shortly afterwards MS announced the increase in the cost of Xbox live. It was probably MS wanting to keep playing nice for the timed exclusives.
    Last edited by maltrophstitan; 04-20-2012 at 04:06.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    Quote Originally Posted by maltrophstitan View Post
    wasn't the price hike solely because of Activision complaining that CoD was boosting live subscribers and wanted a percentage of live profits.
    at first MS didn't want to give up the money then decided a $10 increase in live would offset Activisons cut.

Kotick wants his cut

Shortly afterwards MS announced the increase in the cost of Xbox live. It was probably MS wanting to keep playing nice for the timed exclusives.
    yep.

if activision hadn't put their ass in the air, it is likely Live wouldn't have gone up. at least not when it did.

Live will not go up in price. The only people bringing that up are ones who are starting the early Fud campaign. Just like all the blog-tards who are reporting on false specs and other stuff in prep for the next round of consoles.
    LMAO

PSU Technical Advisor
    Quote Originally Posted by maltrophstitan View Post

Kotick wants his cut

Epic douchebaggery. Both on MS's part and Activision.

So much for having a "good" or "legitimate" reason regarding the service platform lmfao. Yea MS, you're totally right. XBL is amazing and the price is fair, but it would be more fair at a higher price point.

Because (and I love these arguments) "Value is subjective. I like Xbox Live.. Uh, because. And its subjective so its valid. Take my money."

19. Likes Nerevar likes this post
    Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    we will wait and see what MS does with this and i feel a hike coming. Maybe not a massive hike

But enough to keep us on are toes
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Sage
    opinion piece, and author is entitled to writing it... however, i rank this right up there with other "rumors" we have seen recently.

Live will not go up in price.
    Until it does.

Live didn't always cost $60 a year.

I don't think anyone said they COULDN'T do it again. As the cost of providing a service increases, the price must increase if you are going to keep your profit margins. It's called business. I think it's you who missed the point. For ten years the service got better, and better, and more and more services were added, at no increase to the consumer. According to you, they increased it for no reason... other than money. Well, what business isn't in it to make money? Do you think they arbitrarily just raised the rate for X more money per customer?
    Yeah, they added services like Netflix, Hulu -- which come with their OWN subscriptions that we have to pay for. You can stream Netflix/Hulu by only paying their subscription fee on every other device.

yep.

if activision hadn't put their ass in the air, it is likely Live wouldn't have gone up. at least not when it did.

Live will not go up in price. The only people bringing that up are ones who are starting the early Fud campaign. Just like all the blog-tards who are reporting on false specs and other stuff in prep for the next round of consoles.
    Activision can still argue that if they see an increase in Gold subscribers. Should Microsoft keep adding $10 dollars to the subscription to offset the cost at the expense of their customers?

I don't see how that explains why it can't go up in price again. It can go up in price -- the question is, will it? That remains to be seen...
    Last edited by sainraja; 04-21-2012 at 21:36.

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Will kinect make a difference for the increase in fee's, since its new per say

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Will kinect make a difference for the increase in fee's, since its new per say
    MS raised the price just before Kinect launched if I remember right.

Supreme Veteran
    Items User name style
    Live now costs me $10 less than it did when it started.
    When I joined in 2004, it was $89/year.
    It now costs $79/year.

Go figure.

Master Guru
    They need to tier the service. Not everyone wants to pay a set amount just to more or less get online and play with friends. It might take money out of their wallet but it will go a long way for their image. Consumers want options.

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    So glad this will be the last generation I'll pay Microsoft. It's just gettin' stupid now. I just pray Sony doesn't decide to get this stupid as well with their pay service next gen. But to be fair to MS, I haven't paid regular price for LIVE in a long time. I keep buying the 2 months for $1 or $2 deals when they pop up on the dashboard. When small promotions like that stop, so will I.

$Greatness$ Awaits™

Thread Information