Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 4 1 ... LastLast
    Supreme Veteran

Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Rumor: Microsoft Continues Its Campaign On Increasing Online Fees

Rumor: Microsoft Continues Its Campaign On Increasing Online Fees

Since the inception of the PlayStation Network, gamers have been questioning as to whether Microsoft’s stance on their subscriber-based online services would change, making them available for all audiences for free. If this report isn’t enough to reveal what their business plan is, then I don’t know what is. According to Praveen Rutnam’s (Microsoft Corporation: Group Product Planner) LinkedIn page, Microsoft has continued plans to develop strategies to “further monetize Xbox LIVE subscriber base.” What does this mean for the Xbox fanbase? Does this mean gamers could move from paying the now base $60 a year to perhaps $100 a year or maybe even $15 a month?
    As a hardcore fan of the Xbox brand, this worries me, as this could potentially mean I and millions of other loyal subscribers could be forced into paying more money or getting out. What will this ‘further monetization’ mean for the company as a whole? With the dollar getting weaker still against other international currencies, Microsoft could see this as balancing finances that have started to dip below projected expectations. Or could this plan for the holiday season finally be valid competition to Sony’s PlayStation Plus?
    Joystiq sticks straight to reporting the story without giving the fans the correct fanfare they deserve. Looking deeper into the LinkedIn profile, you see that Praveen discusses ‘key consumer insights’ about the industry as a whole. To ignore this factor other than just including it in a picture negates would could be the potential that I revealed before: true competition to Sony’s PlayStation Plus. As Sony doesn’t charge any money for their online service and doesn’t have an interface advertising for PlayStation Network, their way of getting fans to support their service was to have them pay a continuous $8 per month in order to get free games or early access to new downloadable titles.
    What Mr. Rutnam is most likely meaning by having a ‘further monetized Xbox Live subscriber base’ is adding an additional service that wouldn’t contradict the current Xbox Live gold service but instead most likely compliment it with an additional monthly fee. Could Microsoft finally be getting their wits about them and finally start thanking their fanbase by being loyal customers? We’ll have to wait and see at the E3 press conference on June 4th at 10 a.m. PST.
    Link:http://www.platformnation.com/2012/0...g-online-fees/

This in my opinion is a weird move to increase instead of decrease

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    opinion piece, and author is entitled to writing it... however, i rank this right up there with other "rumors" we have seen recently.

Live will not go up in price.

3. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Superior Member
    Live will be at least $70 a year when next gen starts.
    It's funny that in this day in age people can steal as long as they have a reason too. Even if that reason is created by the thieves themselves.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by TEJ2025 View Post

Seriously doubt it. There'd be no reason for a price bump.

Soldier 95B
    I don't imagine there will be a price increase. Though I could see an ADDED tier for a higher price.

7. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    Whether they will or won't remains to be seen. But IMO most people who can afford to or are willingly paying for Live would continue doing so if the price increased by 10-20%. Some would moan but if they're invested in online gaming/friend lists etc they'll pay it. MS could get away with it tbh

Soldier 95B
    The most I would pay for Xbox Gold, IF it went up, is probably $100. Higher than that, Playstation will have all my business.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Soldier 95B View Post
    I don't imagine there will be a price increase. Though I could see an ADDED tier for a higher price.

i don't even see that... all the 3rd party things offered have their own pay structure. Hulu, Netflix, etc... MS can't really "give" access to those since you have to buy the subscription.

What I see is this.

Silver gets online gaming, small fee charged. No more free XBL
    Gold stays the same price, but you can use/access all of the other features. Party chat, rooms, arcade, etc...

11. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by TEJ2025 View Post
    Bullshit.

The cost of a game is sufficient for MS.

They make enough money off current gold subs, nevermind the fact that the userbase grows daily.

PSU Trophy Manager
    PSN ID
    Faenix1
    Items Final Fantasy X-2Final Fantasy XIIFangNoctisLightningFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy XIII-2Final Fantasy XIIINaughty DogFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIPS3 Slim
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    i don't even see that... all the 3rd party things offered have their own pay structure. Hulu, Netflix, etc... MS can't really "give" access to those since you have to buy the subscription.

What I see is this.

Silver gets online gaming, small fee charged. No more free XBL

Gold stays the same price, but you can use/access all of the other features. Party chat, rooms, arcade, etc...
    That would be a dumb move, unless the PSN isnt free anymore.

Sig&Av by Kuro

Summoning (Destiny of) spirits as I venture back into (FFX) Spira. With a bit of "Catching 'em All!" on the side.

PS4 Preorders: WatchDogsWitcher3DyingLight

PSN
    , XBL, Steam: Faenix1 - 3DS Friend Code: 3883-6299-4363
    Phat PS3: February 2008 - June 1st, 2011, Slim PS3: June 3rd 2011 - Present
    PS4, 3DSxl: November 2013 - Present
    PSVita December 2013 - Present

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Fenix View Post
    That would be a dumb move, unless the PSN isnt free anymore.

Since PSN isn't part of this discussion I didn't mention it, but I def DO see PSN charging next gen, even if only a portion. Since this is theorizing about XBL, I left it alone.

Indoril Nerevar
    Just like last time?

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
    Just like last time?
    They increased the price 10 dollars on a system that has been out for ten years. I think one small price jump was ok. Especially since technically it has never affected me. I have never, and i do mean ever, paid more than 39.99 for a year of gold.

There was no mystery either.. MS said, we are raising the price.

At this point, there is just speculation on if there will be a price jump at the next console release and i say no. My biggest reason? What would need to change about XBL when a new console hits? Nothing. Nowhere on the XBL system does it say 360, so it won't need redesigned (unless they want to). I mean literally, the system didn't go up in price or any other sort of radical shift when the 360 came out. XBL just sort of pushed through and worked. Since there has only been one console swap during the time of XBL, and there was no price hike, that lends a lot of credence to my argument.

Combine that with the fact that they are presently more than profitable on XBL, with subscriptions alone pulling in well over a billion a year before any sort of sales beyond that point. Possibly close to 2 BIL depending on how many are GOLD users. (math here was 66 million accounts, sold at 40 dollars... given that some pay full price, some don't pay, this was a mean average price point for point making purposes only). Why would they raise the price on the gold?

I still say we will see marketplace become free. Silver will have a small fee, pay to play online and chat features. Gold will be same price as now, all features open to members to use.

On the other hand, if Silver gets free online play... expect the price of gold to drop slightly. Online play is a major, if not ONLY reason for some to have it.

17. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Indoril Nerevar
    There was no mystery either.. MS said, we are raising the price.
    Combine that with the fact that they are presently more than profitable on XBL, with subscriptions alone pulling in well over a billion a year before any sort of sales beyond that point. Possibly close to 2 BIL depending on how many are GOLD users. (math here was 66 million accounts, sold at 40 dollars... given that some pay full price, some don't pay, this was a mean average price point for point making purposes only). Why would they raise the price on the gold?
    Just like last time?
    Exactly my point. They had no reason before other than them just wanting more money. If they can function as justification then, it can be used again.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Exactly my point. They had no reason before other than them just wanting more money. If they can function as justification then, it can be used again.
    yeah, but at the time that the original xbox was around, the 360 was in development, Live wasn't churning out the profits like now and STILL didn't get a price increase.

It took more than 5 yrs of the 360 being out for MS to finally say, ok, we need to go up to 59.99 a year. Their justification (correct or not) was the infrastructure of Live was growing and the need was there to bring in some more hardware to support the new software offerings. Suppose it could happen again, but doubt it.

I can't see another price hike just yet, let alone the ridiculous amounts people are trying to spread FUD over.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Yet another baseless rumor. Good for getting hits on their sites I guess. Funny how opinion pieces become "news." lol

Supreme Veteran

Now i agree in all that posted here

But what if this becomes the thing and the fee increase's over time or in one go... Were does it leave us the payer and Microsoft

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Now i agree in all that posted here But what if this becomes the thing and the fee increase's over time or in one go... Were does it leave us the payer and Microsoft
    There will always be ways of getting discounted Live. I've never paid full price for Live.

23. Likes Admartian , Cuguy , claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Supreme Veteran

Same here in small ways

But if the next gen is upon us, then the fear of an increase is there and always be. Microsoft will have to market it has a value of investment and not a point of beating the Next gen PSN network on prices

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Same here in small ways But if the next gen is upon us, then the fear of an increase is there and always be. Microsoft will have to market it has a value of investment and not a point of beating the Next gen PSN network on prices
    Yeah thats true. We'll just have to see. I have no doubts that PSN will become pay to play next gen but will propably charge less than MS. Next gen if Live becomes priced out of my comfort zone then I will switch to PSN. I'm not attached to any brand so dropping one and sticking with another depending on what each company is offering isnt a problem for me.
    Last edited by mistercrow; 04-19-2012 at 20:41.

26. Likes claud3, Cuguy wishes they had posted this first.
    Nosce te ipsum
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Really...? No reason? The cost of the infrastructure doesn't go up over 10 years and several tens of millions of users later? cmon....

Supreme Veteran

Quote Originally Posted by radgamer420 View Post
    Yeah thats true. We'll just have to see. I have no doubts that PSN will become pay to play next gen but will propably charge less than MS. Next gen if Live becomes priced out of my comfort zone then I will switch to PSN. I'm not attached to any brand so dropping one and sticking with another depending on what each company is offering isnt a problem for me.
    True, but its the case of being on the fence. Do you go with one that the price is different by a few £££'s or $$$'s... Or do you see if your money buys the games and DLCs you want in the long run

Or

Do you wait it out for say the Live to decrease its price over a year span or two... Or just head straight to PSN for near better deals

Indoril Nerevar
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    Really...? No reason? The cost of the infrastructure doesn't go up over 10 years and several tens of millions of users later? cmon....
    I think you missed the point. They were making large profits already and decided to ramp up their price for XBL. They can do it again.

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    True, but its the case on being on the fence. Do you go with one that the price is different by a few £££'s or $$$'s... Or do you see if your money buys the games and DLCs you want in the long run Or Do you wait it out for say the Live to decrease its price over a year span or two... Or just head straight to PSN for near better deals
    If the price for both services are in my comfort zone then yes I then base my decision on which is the better service and gives me what I want. But yeah theres only so much that I will pay regardless.

31. Likes claud3 wishes they had posted this first.
    Supreme Veteran

Ok true

I on the other hand would op out of both until the service was worth its weight in gold and see if it truely had value for money for a long term stay

Thread Information