Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Pollak: Nintendo have a “smart technology strategy that most people don’t detect”

April 19, 2012

Pollak: Nintendo have a “smart technology strategy that most people don’t detect”

0digg

Nintendo have a “smart technology strategy” that many fail to recognise, according to Ted Pollak, Jon Peddie Research senior gaming analyst.

“This is a recurring theme”, Pollak explained of recent rumours regarding the Wii U’s horsepower. “Technology changes and Nintendo looks like they are falling behind. Nintendo always claims their focus is on game play. However they actually have a smart technology strategy that most people don’t detect.”

Such strategy sees Nintendo create their consoles to suit currently adopted hardware, the Wii releasing at a point in time where standard-definition television sets were still broadly the norm.

“To understand this, we need to go back in time a little. The original Wii was designed for standard definition televisions, and when released, there were ninety eight standard definition TV households for every high definition TV household. Now we are faced with fantastic and powerful consoles coming from Sony and Microsoft that will drive high frame rates for 1080p resolution and much higher for 3D.

“However, if we look at the installed base of HD televisions globally, we may find a very large portion of them are 720p, as those displays were the first adopted and the first discounted.

“So for many people, the new Sony and Microsoft offerings may be an overkill for their current television capability”, Pollak suggested. “Combine this with Nintendo’s proven game play quality, the unique tablet controller, and NFC technology that goes hand in hand with their IP, and I think Nintendo will do just fine with Wii U.

Nintendo must ensure that the console is supported sufficiently at launch for it to succeed, Pollak is keen to reiterate.

“That said, they must have a solid launch slate of titles and all online features enabled from the get-go, or they will face the same stumbling start that the 3DS experienced.”
    Link:http://www.nintendo-universe.co.uk/2...e-dont-detect/

Is it smart i believe so, in my opinion Nintendo of it in the bag in terms of Strategy in Technology
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Veteran
    Items PS3 SlimVita3DSPlayStation
    Speaking of launch titles, I think they've got that taken care of. It looks like Super Mario 4 (recently announced) and Pikmin 3 will be launch titles.

Currently Playing: Lumines Electronic Symphony (Vita)

Supreme Veteran
    PSN ID
    sophieskyrim126Era
    Items Tommy VercettiGTA Claude
    Yep they will be the top title's on release, but i feel a zelda game close by
    Plato and Aristotle, a detail of The School of Athens, a fresco by Raphael. Aristotle gestures to the earth, representing his belief in knowledge

Forum Overseer
    I don't get what the guy's point is.

But thanks anyway Captain Obvious Pollak.

5. Likes Thorzilla likes this post
    Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    Abdou023
    So he is basically saying that Graphics doesn't matter.

PSN: Abdou023
    Currently Playing: GTA 5

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    RaYU84
    Items Iron Maiden3DSBaby ChocoboDr. DreDragon Ball Z3DSPS3 SlimNintendo 64TOOLPink FloydAC/DCFuturama
    Quote Originally Posted by claud3 View Post
    Yep they will be the top title's on release, but i feel a zelda game close by
    Nah. Skyward sword will only be out a year by the time the Wii U comes out. It'll be at the very least another 2 years before another comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post

He’s saying, if the underpowered rumors are true, then Nintendo is smart in the way that, with the Wii, as underpowered as it was, they were able to keep the price down to have the success they did, because HD TV's weren't so common. Following that logic, he's saying that the most common TV's nowadays are able to display up to 720p, so having a system that much more powerful and expensive to display over 720p wouldn't be worth it
    Thanks to THUGGEDOUT for the sig, The Black Wolf for the av.
    Life's too short to be sober! Drunk with power!

Forum Overseer
    Quote Originally Posted by RaY_210 View Post
    He’s saying, if the underpowered rumors are true, then Nintendo is smart in the way that, with the Wii, as underpowered as it was, they were able to keep the price down to have the success they did, because HD TV's weren't so common. Following that logic, he's saying that the most common TV's nowadays are able to display up to 720p, so having a system that much more powerful and expensive to display over 720p wouldn't be worth it
    I got that part...I just don't understand where the critically analyzed part is that we already don't know.

In simpler words, it's called a follower in the business world. The strategy is that you don't innovate, you just follow the leaders. You don't need to worry about R&D in that case.

This is even more common...you're coming out at the time when it's already mainstream. Is that a strategy that Sony and MS wouldn't understand? LOL.

It's just another strategy and imo not the best one out there, I'm ready for 1080p...and 3D...I don't care about what's already out there.

For others it might not be so bad...so again, yea it's just another strategy, not some genius plan that this guy is making it out to be.

9. Likes dreams likes this post

Quote Originally Posted by Sufi View Post

That makes two of us.

Thread Information