Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Game Director S. Asmussen “Doing Cool Stuff” at Sony Santa Monica, Not GoW:Ascension

Sony Santa Monica may be hard at work on a new God of War game, but with another director at the helm, what does that mean for GOWIII head Stig Asmussen?

After being questioned about the rate at which the GOW franchise seems to burn through directors (Jaffe, Balrog, Asmussen, Papy), David Jaffe said:

Pretty well documented in game press why Cory and I left. Stig is still at SSM tho doing cool stuff.
    Of course, Asmussen could be working on one of the main collaboration projects at SSM, where they help out other studios like thatgamecompany, Team Ico or Lightbox Interactive, but that seems unlikely for such a high-profile developer. Additionally, Asmussen’s LinkedIn says that he is a “game director”.

So that begs the question, what is he doing? Could Sony Santa Monica be doing what Naughty Dog are doing and splitting up to work on two high profile games at the same time? A recent hiring spree would suggest so, with Director of Product Development at Santa Monica, John Hight saying last year that the studio was planning to double in size:

During this particular part of our growth, which we’re right now at about 105 full time, we’re gonna go to about 200 people which is still huge. I mean God of War II had about 60 people so we grew quite a bit during God of War III.
    Considering Ascension is a PS3 game, it’s unlikely that the development team needs to be doubled (the engine will likely be the same or just updated, not built from scratch), so that does mean that a large development team might be working on something else, with Stig Asmussen at the lead.

It’s important to note that this all rumors and speculation, and nothing is confirmed, but if true, what would you like the other team to be developing? God of War Vita, God of War PS4, or something new
    Source
    My guess, a PS4 launch title.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Dedicated Member
    Or a new IP for a console that's already here... But a PS4 launch title is possible. The fact that Sony Santa Monica is now twice as big as they were when making GoW3, now with the experience they garnered while creating GOW3 and being used to the PS3 now, makes me even more excited. I can't wait to see more on what they're doing. Same goes for Quantic Dream, I'm sure they have some awesomeness up their sleeves as well.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    the_mooninites
    Items ICO
    I wouldn't be surprised if it's a new IP set to launch alongside the PS4. I'm hoping most first party devs are developing or are going to start developing launch titles for the PS4.

Sent from my Nexus S using Tapatalk 2

Ultimate Veteran
    PSN ID
    AaronSOLDIER
    Items Final Fantasy Versus XIIIPS3 SlimFinal Fantasy XFinal Fantasy IXFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy VIFinal Fantasy VFinal Fantasy IVFinal Fantasy IIIFinal Fantasy IIFinal Fantasy
    That's pretty sweet they're working on another project. I'm guessing its for PS3 too since its been 2 years from GOW3.

Please help our Final Fantasy Community get off the ground:
    http://forums.final7fantasy.com/

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    He's probably working on God of War 4.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FonFahbre View Post
    He's probably working on God of War 4.
    That would be ridiculous. They really need to start up a new IP. They have a ton of talent, how about some science fiction awesomeness. That way we can kill gigantic aliens monsters as opposed to giant greek mythology monsters. Honestly anything that looks awesome, plays awesome, and is epic.

Elite Sage
    Items Naughty DogPS3 SlimNaughty DogUser name style
    Wow! So that makes Santa Monica, Naughty Dog and Guerilla Games splitting into two teams. I smell ps4 games in the making. I hope so atleast lol.

Destiny and Middle Earth: Shadow of Mordor is all I need for the rest of the year.

As of right now, F Destiny.

Thread Information