Latest PSU headlines:

Page 1 of 2 1 ... LastLast
    PSU U.K. Executive Editor and Podcast Host
    Items User name styleLed ZeppelinAssassins Creed Ezio3DSDreamcastNintendo 64Vita360 SlimPS3 Fat
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

PS3's top 5 biggest letdowns

Hi chaps,

So, PS3's been on the market for over five years now, and I think we can all agree that it's an awesome machine boasting some great games and functionality.

However, as with any platform, there are inevitably disappointments to be had, and PS3's had its fair share of them. This is the focus of our latest article, where we scrutinize some of the console's biggest letdowns in its 5+ years on the market. Yes, this is pretty negative, but let's face it; we've all been disappointed by something i'm sure, that's just life.

Check out the article via the link below:

http://www.psu.com/PS3s-top-5-bigges...a015070-p0.php

So guys, what do you personally think are the PS3's biggest letdowns? I'm sure you have plenty more to add, so please get talking!
    http://www.psu.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=263583&dateline=13663  69798

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Items Joker (limited ICON)
    IMO Home was the biggest let down.

Far too many downloads - load times. Boring, sectionalized world. Just plain done badly.

Great concepts, but never functionally realized for me.
    LMAO

3. Likes 33x , Black Beast, Nuvian likes this post
    Superior Member
    Cross Game Chat, is my biggest letdown for the Ps3.
    Everything else is flawless.

Game/s wise, that comes down to personal pref. I only play what i like, and i love the games i play.

Apprentice
    PSN ID
    AcesHigh291
    I was super hyped for Haze, and while I think the Mantel part of the campaign was actually quite fun, overall it was terrible in far too many aspects.

Dedicated Member
    PSN ID
    Other_
    Hmmm, God of War: Ascension was missing from the list...

TROLLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

...kidding.

Follow me on Twitter @DonOther

Dedicated Member
    Items Full Metal AlchemistThe X-FilesFinal Fantasy VII
    lol i remember the Haze threads around these parts back in 2007 was it? hahahah they would compare early screenshots with Crysis 1. then it came out and everyone was just owned.

Home is a big let down, i mean they promised this cool little world to socialize in but load times were too much.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    I disagree with Haze. If you didn't buy into the hype, the game wasn't actually bad at all. I actually enjoyed it when I sat down and played it and left all the hype and media crapola out.

9. Likes sainraja likes this post
    Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    I disagree with Haze. If you didn't buy into the hype, the game wasn't actually bad at all. I actually enjoyed it when I sat down and played it and left all the hype and media crapola out.

yeah Haze wasn't bad, it just sure was blown up WAY more than it should have been. It was a solid title. Can't say the same for Lair, but Haze was ok. I should have probably finished it. LOL
    LMAO

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Home and PS+ 2 both useless pieces of crap.

PS+ is last ditch effort to recoup the costs of the network yet the benefits are half assed, cloud storage that is not automatic and small discounts on crappy games I never wanted which after discount cost the same as the retail version.

The XMB is disorganised, nothing in alphabetical order and over the many firmware updates they added options anywhere it fits. TI started out good but now its a mess.
    Last edited by keefy; 04-20-2012 at 21:18.

Elite Sage
    PSN ID
    cuguy
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post

PS+ is last ditch effort to recoup the costs of the network yet the benefits are half assed, cloud storage that is not automatic and small discounts on crappy games I never wanted which after discount cost the same as the retail version.

The XMB is disorganised, nothing in alphabetical order and over the many firmware updates they added options anywhere it fits.
    The date in front of the time always pissed me off.

wasn't interested ever in PS+ but all my relatives that have it agree with your summation. i have heard them say the same things.
    LMAO

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuguy View Post
    IMO Home was the biggest let down.

Far too many downloads - load times. Boring, sectionalized world. Just plain done badly.

Great concepts, but never functionally realized for me.
    Totally agree, i went into Home once or twice, never came back.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

ストライク・ザ・ブラッド
    PSN ID
    xAkiRo
    Items YunaLuluBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-11-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XIII-2AtlusFinal Fantasy Versus XIIIFinal Fantasy VIIIFinal Fantasy VIIFinal Fantasy V
    i think the way they handled splitscreening was a letdown down to some games did it somewhat good like scott pilgrim and little big planet would've been nice to earn your own trophies and stuff for say ex.user b or user c oh well just my two cents..

PSN: xThAkIdJxYx Cod Psn:xxAkiRo
    ‎"It's not important to have a long life, the important thing is to have a happy life with your beloved ones"

Master Guru
    Items Title StyleNew User TitleBaby Chocobo
Gift received at 01-13-2013 from Ghost
Message: enjoy!Final Fantasy XFinal Fantasy VIIUser name style
    I wasn't around during the Haze hype but when I played it, the game turned out to be utter crap. Boring and lame story left a sour impression. Then you had the AI's sprouting the same nonsense over and over.

My biggest disappointment is the Yellow Light(I had to fix it.. I don't like fixing things), and I guess when the PSN was down(I went outside dammit!. Why?!). But overall, it's been one hell of a machine. Never regretted my purchase.

Legend
    PSN ID
    F34RTEHR34PER
    Items BullySteamGran Turismo 5LiverpoolAppleJoker (limited ICON)Naughty DogMaster ChiefAssassins Creed EzioGears of WarHeavy RainDiablo III
    Home is probably the biggest disappointment for me. I've given it a go several times and could never get into it proper.

Dedicated Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keefy View Post

The XMB is disorganised, nothing in alphabetical order and over the many firmware updates they added options anywhere it fits. TI started out good but now its a mess.
    This months PS+ has been great! But yea, the past year+ was otherwise pretty rubbish.

And im not sure what you mean by Cloud storage not being automatic? When you first boot up a game it will ask, save automatically to online storage?
    Now it wont do it in real time but when switch off and go to bed (depending how you set it) it will upload, download etc whatever needs updating. i probably misread though in which case apologies.

One major thing that irritated me was the lack of backwards compatibility on these newer models. My old 60gig eventually bit the dust after many years of hard work. And i had donated my ps2 to a local hospital, thinking i wouldnt ever need it.

Home..what a waste of download space (sorry to say)

Haze....and I really didn't even have that HIGH of expectations for it

But holy hell was it absolutely terrible in just about every aspect

Ultimate Veteran
    Items PlayStationPS3 Slim
    Alot of those let downs listed are from launch, when people buy are PS3 today are they let down by a $599 price tag? Nope.
    Are people still let down by Lair? Hell no, they go play something amazing like Demons Souls. Same for Haze, they go play Killzone, Resistance or MAG.
    I would say Home missed its mark, they should have researched the market and other 3D social worlds first.
    I love PS+, PlayTV, Move, PSN.
    SONY has done alot right, even with cross game chat in the Vita I dont use it, lol.

- Symmetrical thumb sticks for life -

Elite Guru
    Items Naughty DogMetal Gear SolidPlayStation
    Home by far.

PS+ a close second.

Third? Well, lack of features such as cross-game chat and a more robust network.

That's about all I can think of.

I could list some things about the other console too so don't think I'm bashing lol.

Forum Sage
    Quote Originally Posted by F34R View Post
    It wasn't as bad as it was made out to be. I enjoyed playing through it with a friend of mine. I also like the concept they had....just wish they had got to work on it more.

Superior Member
    There was no way Haze could live up to the hype. It wasn't such a bad game, I quite enjoyed playing it. Lair was disappointing, but really, aside from a handful of titles, what big first gen games live up to their reputations.

I never understood the anger over the lack of cross game chat really, never felt the need to have that feature myself.

Friendship is Carrots
    > No cross-game chat
    > Removal of BC
    > PSN altogether just feels incoherent and gimmicky, like it's held together by duct-tape

Quote Originally Posted by Nuvian View Post
    Totally agree, i went into Home once or twice, never came back.
    Same. I wanted to like it due to the work Sony put into it, but ultimately it never grabbed me like it should have. As far as I'm concerned, it is the PS3's greatest failure, and I think Sony should abandon it and admit they made a mistake.
    Add me on Steam!

[Forum Rules]
    - [PSN] - [Programmers' Corner]

Ultimate Veteran
    PlayStation Home and Plus are the only failures that come to mind. As stated, both features have a lot of potential but ended up falling short.

The removal of backwards compatibility with PlayStation 2 games doesn't bother me as much because I still own a working model, although I can see why most people consider it a bad thing as Sony can have no problem charging for HD collections and other classic titles on the PlayStation Network.
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-21-2012 at 08:46.

Extreme Poster
    PSN ID
    mistercrow
    Well besides certain exclusives that disappointed me I would have to say Home, the outdated and bland xmb, having to sync your trophies, PSN itself feeling and looking like it was just thrown together, the PSN hack, PS+, and that internal clock issue as well as PSN going down for some other reason (forget what it was that time), and inferior versions of multiplatform games.

Elite Guru
    Items DreamcastDeath Note LArsenal
    PS+ is actually one of the better things that has happened, IMO. Fantastic value for money

Power Member
    Items Gran Turismo 5Michelle MarshDoomid SoftwareCommodore 64Metal Gear Solid
    Quote Originally Posted by DeRaddyoMoFo View Post
    This months PS+ has been great! But yea, the past year+ was otherwise pretty rubbish.

And im not sure what you mean by Cloud storage not being automatic? When you first boot up a game it will ask, save automatically to online storage?
    Now it wont do it in real time but when switch off and go to bed (depending how you set it) it will upload, download etc whatever needs updating. i probably misread though in which case apologies.

One major thing that irritated me was the lack of backwards compatibility on these newer models. My old 60gig eventually bit the dust after many years of hard work. And i had donated my ps2 to a local hospital, thinking i wouldnt ever need it.

Home..what a waste of download space (sorry to say)
    it might have improved slightly since I first used it but still isn't what I call automated if you have to set a time for the console to switch on then sync the trophies and game saves it should do it after each game is shut down.

Thread Information