Ultimate Veteran
    Achievements IT'S OVER 9000!

Starbreeze CEO: Syndicate couldn't ever live up to some people's expectations

CEO and President of Starbreeze Studios Mikael Nermark appears to have mixed feelings about Syndicate, the FPS reboot his team launched earlier this year. Syndicate snagged the No. 2 spot during its launch week with sales of 34,000, just 2,000 shy of Asura's Wrath. Even after such a squeeze, Nermark tells Joystiq he isn't disappointed in Syndicate, numerically or otherwise:

"Sales? What can I say?" Nermark says, inadvertently answering his own rhetorical question. "So many things depend on whether sales are good or not good. And it can always be better, right? You always want it to be better."

Being "not disappointed" isn't the same as being overwhelmingly, truly happy with a title, nor is it the same as being devastated it seems Nermark is still working out how exactly he feels about Syndicate, but he's made up his mind about Starbreeze itself.

"Personally, I've never been satisfied with any games I've worked on. I never play my own games," Nermark says. "I was brought into Starbreeze two and a half years ago, and the first year I worked on other things than on production. But what I saw coming out of this long production time, I'm proud of what we did at Starbreeze."

Nermark compares Syndicate to "those really high production value, high budget productions" that have an easier time getting higher scores or critical acclaim. Those AAA (and AAAA, apparently) titles may hit larger review numbers, but Nermark said Syndicate was more innovative and brought a new element into the genre, for good or ill: "truly cooperative play."

"The co-op part is fantastic to me I think it's a lot of fun to play," Nermark says. "I think it may be too hard. I'm one of those guys that wants it harder, harder, harder, right? So I think we made it maybe too hard, and we didn't really ... we should've thought about the player more. It's a game made for you to play with your friends, who you really know, 'cause it's truly a cooperative play, rather than just jump in and play alongside each other."

For all the changes Starbreeze made to the original Syndicate's strategic roots, Nermark says he never lost sight of its fanbase and the diehard Syndicate fans. "Syndicate comes with a lot of expectations. Such a great brand, such a great franchise. I don't think we could've ever lived up to some people's expectations."

Even, possibly, Nermark's.

"I love the original! When I got into the industry way back, RTS and that kind of game were my kind of game," Nermark says. "But you always wanna add your touch to it, you wanna make it your game even though it's built on a great franchise. So I think that's hard. Overall, we're happy."
    Source

Never played it myself. How does it compare to the original?
    Last edited by Metal King Slime; 04-21-2012 at 03:38.
    Thanks to Kwes for the avatar and Sylar for the signature!

PSU Technical Advisor
    From what I understand it is absolutely nothing like the original. It has zero to do with it gameplay wise.

Imagine a new remake called "Command and Conquer: Red Alert" and it was meant to be reboot of the famous RTS franchise. Instead of being an RTS, though, it's an FPS.

That's what the new Syndicate is.

3. Likes Ghost likes this post
    Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Starbreeze $#@!ED this game up royaly. "Ohhh I have a great idea! let's take a legendary rts/rpg game that is $#@!ing awesome and wrap it up in an uninspired, boring FPS package that $#@!s all over the games legacy and then rubs that $#@! in the face of the ips fans".

They can go $#@! them selves. I longed for a remake or reboot of Syndicate, I played the original SOOOOO much and this is what is delivered to me? This game is NOTHING like Syndicate. I wish/hope that this game fails hard so these $#@!ing clueless $#@!ers realise how stupid it was to ever think they could make a RTS into an FPS. Assholes and $#@!suckers...

/rant

5. Likes Gaddes, Lebowski , VayMasters86 likes this post
    Master Sage
    PSN ID
    I'll let you know.
    Items Olivia WildeArnold SchwarzneggerPearl JamSylvester StalloneScarlett JohanssonAC/DCAppleLegend of ZeldaBruce WillisNintendo 64Gran Turismo 5PlayStation
    LOL you went off Ghost wow hahaha

Superior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post
    Starbreeze $#@!ED this game up royaly. "Ohhh I have a great idea! let's take a legendary rts/rpg game that is $#@!ing awesome and wrap it up in an uninspired, boring FPS package that $#@!s all over the games legacy and then rubs that $#@! in the face of the ips fans".

They can go $#@! them selves. I longed for a remake or reboot of Syndicate, I played the original SOOOOO much and this is what is delivered to me? This game is NOTHING like Syndicate. I wish/hope that this game fails hard so these $#@!ing clueless $#@!ers realise how stupid it was to ever think they could make a RTS into an FPS. Assholes and $#@!suckers...

/rant
    I had to quote this, just because it's what I was thinking, verbatim. The same thing happened with the once great Front Mission series, I broke a chair when that game was announced to be something other than a tactics based game.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparc View Post
    For goodness sake I hope nobody thinks to start labelling the console an Xbrick,
    oops
    -Regarding the Xbone A.K.A. the Xbrick

"Faith - that's another word for ignorance isn't it?" -House

Superior Member
    The original Syndicate is still one of the best games I ever played. Of course there was no way this new one could live up to expectations, it's Syndicate in name only.

If someone could get the rights to recreate the original, it would most likely outsell this "Syndicate". They could have even tied it together, by remaking the original, and selling this as a sequel. They screwed up, plain and simple. Yes, the original Syndicate is older than a lot of gamers, but it's still an absolute classic, and I hope someone brings it back one day. I'd pay full price for that.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by DreDayDetox View Post
    LOL you went off Ghost wow hahaha
    It was justified! Syndicate should have stayed an RTS with the ability to indoctrinate and arm your own personal army of civilians, police and agents. Where's my $#@!in 4 man squad? Where's my ability to recruit and build up new agents? smh

Quote Originally Posted by VayMasters86 View Post
    I had to quote this, just because it's what I was thinking, verbatim. The same thing happened with the once great Front Mission series, I broke a chair when that game was announced to be something other than a tactics based game.
    Thank $#@! XCOM is getting a dignified remake (not the FPS one).

Forum Elder
    PSN ID
    GreatnessRD
    Items User name style
    Ghost-Rhayne spinning up! lol

Elite Guru
    Starbreeze thought they could launch a new IP under the guise of an old and much loved one. They were wrong.

Ironically, it may have been given more kudos if it was launched as a new IP.

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    Quote Originally Posted by *goo View Post
    Starbreeze thought they could launch a new IP under the guise of an old and much loved one. They were wrong.

Ironically, it may have been given more kudos if it was launched as a new IP
    This. Attaching the name was a dumb idea. The game on it's own isn't that bad, but when you are expecting it to have the Syndicate mechanics, and it doesn't, then it fails.

Elite Member

Items PlayStationSteam
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghost-Rhayne View Post

/rant
    So....tell us how you _really_ feel about Syndicate

Is it that bad? I played the snot out of the original and was thinking about picking two copies of this one up for me and a buddy to play through (Haven't really taken the time to look at/watch gameplay)

Apprentice

I wouldn't call it a bad game, I would say it's more accurate that there just really isn't much reason to play the game, it plays ago but the hud is extremely cluttered and distracting for absolutely no reason at all, and while the controls are nice like all of their games the world and your lack of involvement with it is no fun. I wouldn't even call it a reboot, more accurately another developer stealing the name of a beloved franchise and hacking it up just to make a little money, if they really loved the original they would have done the world more justice and produced a better game. Such a shame too I really enjoy their games, this one is just a fail.

Even if you don't like Fallout 3, at least they put a ton of time and effort into making it.

Elite Guru
    PSN ID
    HitMan00
    the mistake they made was made it into a fps, they should of kept what made the game so awesome in the first place.

Master Sage
    Items User name styleLegend of ZeldaDiablo IIIHeath LedgerJoker (limited ICON)Title Style
    No $#@! it didn't live up to expectations, they changed the genre of the series, a slap in the face for Syndicate fans like my self.

Eventually they(EA) will make a first person RPG out of the Dungeon Keeper series...
    Last edited by Nuvian; 04-21-2012 at 22:44.

Once more into the fray.
    Into the last good fight I'll ever know.
    Live and die on this day.
    Live and die on this day.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    Gaddesreinhart
    Items PS3 FatVita
    Played the demo and found it to be just another dude bro, pop-a-mole shooter with the Syndicate name slapped on it. If X-COM can get a proper remake, then Syndicate can as well. I prefer my corporate assassins to be stone cold, emotionless killing machines, not wise cracking douchebags. Can't wait to see what the next classic franchise gets the pew pew pew, regenerating health treatment.
    Retired FFXI player. FFXIV player, Malboro Server.

Super Elite
    PSN ID
    FireSol
    Items User name style
    the main problem is that to make good remake you need Bullfrog!!! but EA stupidly shot them down (((

Administrator
    PSN ID
    rokushakubo
    Awards PSU+ Patriot
    It should have been given to the guys doing the XCOM:EU remake.

Thread Information